Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 07-02-2012   #21
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: what QB are you projecting in the top ten next year?

Geno Smith QB West Virginia
Old 07-27-2012   #22
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been watching an awful lot of Tyler Wilson.
I like him a lot.

In 2010, he had ZERO footwork.
I don't know if he's a little stiff or not; he's cerntainly athletic though.

He improved A LOT last year.

IMO, he and Barkley are 1. 2 in the next draft.

He played well under duress.
He has excellent arm strength; he can throw a transcontinental pass as you couldn't believe it.

If only his footwork can get better, he will be very scary.

Even though he had improved on it, at the moment it still holds him back from being a fantastic pro QB.

If he can improve his footwork to somewhere close to Barkley, IMO, he will supplant Barkley as the #1 QB in the next draft.

Of course, Barkley can improve in other area(s), too.

My money was on Barkley, but this guy may take the cake at the end of the day.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Geno Smith will throw up Keenum type stats but how high will he be drafted? I see him 2-3rd round now.
Old 07-29-2012   #24
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think Geno Smith will throw up Keenum type stats but how high will he be drafted? I see him 2-3rd round now.
Geno is another interesting prospect.
His overall game (mental and physical) indicates a very solid NFL prospect.
In Holgorson's spread/air raid system, Geno looks like a very good "system" QB.
He's extremely efficient.
To me, he looks like a better prospect than Osweiler or even Weeden.

Weeden has a whole more experience due to his "advanced" age while Geno Smith isn't a field general yet (but really, neither is Weeden).

Right now, for the most part, Geno is more like a well-oiled machine.
He can manipulate the safety(ies) occasionally but has yet to do it on a consistent basis.

Thing is, I look at him as being able to be an A student, but can he become an A+ student? That's the million-dollar question.

On a normal curve of progression, I think Geno Smith is a first rounder.
I like him better than Tannerhill as an NFL prospect, actually.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #25
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Logan Thomas, VT reminds me of Cam Newton & with Cam's success his stock will surely elevate Thomas into top 10, consideration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZim208nMg

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012   #26
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
They clearly forgot about Tebow.

So given Schaubie is all contracted up and playing well, I'm of a mind to wonder what sort of trade value TJ might have, not that I don't love the guy, just when you consider what backup QB's get traded for and the contracts they sign, better to trade him than let the market dictate too high a value for him as an FA.
borrowed this from another thread.
Just wondering would you guys consider trading TJ for a 3rd round pick, and maybe taking a QB like Bray or Wilson in the first to groom, or any other QB you rate highly?

Considering the amount of possible picks we could have this draft throw in another 3rd we could end up with three 2nd round picks with trade ups, and it may seem that now is the best time to get a top QB to learn the ropes behind schaubs last few years, i.e. like rogers.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012   #27
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
Just wondering would you guys consider trading TJ for a 3rd round pick, and maybe taking a QB like Bray or Wilson in the first to groom, or any other QB you rate highly?

Considering the amount of possible picks we could have this draft throw in another 3rd we could end up with three 2nd round picks with trade ups, and it may seem that now is the best time to get a top QB to learn the ropes behind schaubs last few years, i.e. like rogers.
If Patterson and Bray are there at the end of the 1st rd I would use my 1st pick on Patterson and then use my 2nd/3rd/5th pick to trade up and pick Bray.

I know these guys dont fill needs but they're special talents and talent trumps needs. IMHO (Patterson does fill a need, he's the #1 guy on my Texans board a track guy who's a football player 1st.)
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012   #28
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Would I consider trading TJ, hell yes, but I want more than a 3rd round pick for him. With so many teams desperate for QB talent, TJ is young, experienced, has size and arm strength, tutored by a so called QB guru, has won a playoff game, and has shown that he's willing to put in the work to get better. I'd want at least a mid 2nd and throw in a mid 3rd along with it. I don't remember what KC gave up for Cassel, or what Arizona gave up for Kolb but they were expensive. Its' yet to be seen but with so many expected comp. picks, trade picks from Tate, and/or trade picks from TJ we should have lots of picks available to us come draft time and I'd expect Rick to glue that phone to his ear and I'd have no problem if one of the really good QB prospects fell near us and we traded up to get him so that he could sit behind Schaub for a year or 2 and then take over. I expect Rick Smith will be an extremely busy man once this season is over and I expect him to be trading up getting us quality over quantity in the early rounds. He's going to be earning that pay check this offseason.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Absolutely not. Tj is a bird in the hand, why gamble?

We've locked Schaub up for a little while. He's got at least 4 good years in him baring serious injury. What we're looking for in a back-up QB is someone who can run the offense & not lose games for us. Tj does that well & (as seen in Atlanta & vs Cincy) gives us a chance to win.

We're not looking for heir-apparent.

Besides, the NFL has a short memory. Had we tried to trade him last off-season he'd have competed with Matt Flynn & with the way that turned out, I don't know if "flashy back-up" is as hot a commodity any more.
Old 11-16-2012   #30
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Besides, the NFL has a short memory. Had we tried to trade him last off-season he'd have competed with Matt Flynn & with the way that turned out, I don't know if "flashy back-up" is as hot a commodity any more.
There's always someone in the NFL looking for a quick-fix with a flashy back-up. Like you said, the NFL has a short memory.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Absolutley not as we know what we have with Yates. Now, if we are sitting at a pick next draft and a QB has fallen to us (for example my trades in to the second round thread) maybe. I just see QB as a strength we should not mess with. If Gary thinks Keenum could replace Yates 2013 that'd be different but we will never know.
Old 11-19-2012   #32
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Nope. Yates is a good backup on a 5th round deal for the next 2.5 years. He's exactly what we need at the position, some one cheap and capable. If anyone is getting traded, it should be Ben Tate. I'd be surprised to get more than a 4th for him at this point, but packaging him with a 3rd could net us a 2nd.

I would very much like us to use our late picks in packages to trade up into the 2nd and 3rd rounds if possible. I don't think this team needs 11 new rookies, and I would rather get 4-6 quality players and 1-2 JAGs, than 1-3 quality and 5-9 JAGs.
Old 11-23-2012   #33
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of these quarterbacks have struggled this season but looking at their careers holistically, here's how I would rank them:

1.) Matt Barkley

2.) Tyler Wilson

3.) Geno Smith

4.) Landry Jones

5.) *Tyler Bray

Dark horse: Collin Klein
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #34
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Barkley and Smith

Wilson has an outside shot and there's an outside shot of a team falling in love with Bray's arm. If I had a top 10 pick I would look at trading down. There's not that much difference between Smith/ Barkley and Bray/Jones. IMHO
Old 11-28-2012   #35
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123160 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure anyone wants to take a chance on Collin Klein in early rounds. He seems like a Tebow clone to me, and with those funky mechanics... I'm not touching him with a ten foot pole. Recent history has taught us, thou shall not draft USC quarterbacks, and... Barkley seems headed the way of Sanchez and Leinart to me. I like Wilson (I think Arkansas' issues arise from coaching, not Wilson's play). Geno is going first round, but I have a feeling he's going to take time to develop into a good QB.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #36
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Logan Thomas, VT reminds me of Cam Newton & with Cam's success his stock will surely elevate Thomas into top 10, consideration.
Newton has put up some numbers .... but the real measure of a QB is W's. I cant really call Newton much of a success based upon that .... But you are probably right , there will be a team who see's the comparison and takes a shot early.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #37
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I'm going with Casey Pachall. TCU.

6'5", Texas bred QB. Playing in the Big12. Gotta love that.

Another dark horse. Logan Thomas. VT.
Dragging this old thread up since we were discussing Logan Thomas. After watching them both over the last 2 years I think I would still be more interested in getting Casey into camp as an UFA or even a 7th, and see if he can be developed. I do not think Thomas has what it takes to be an NFL QB, and if he is stuck in the mindset that he is a QB then he can be some other teams problem.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #38
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

It's always fun when people dig up super old threads and you can see just how wrong everyone was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Thanks GP. Good post. I looked at a top 10 QB list for the 2013 draft. Tyler Wilson's name came up & he did catch my eye. Stats look good, but I want to watch him play before I make up my mind. 6'3" to me is on the low side of what I'd like to see as far as hight..... that's my personal preference.
At least you haven't deviated from your size stance and have always stood behind it, even though I completely disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
It's early though, and 2012 looks to be a terrible year for Arkansas, so maybe the Texans can get him with their 1st and not have to move at all. Hopefully that no talent overhyped QB at OU shoots up the boards for some unsuspecting team to take him.
terrible season was an understatement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I ask, because we've seen it happen. Not just to QBs... worked out pretty good for us with Arian Foster. But most of the time, a poor showing their senior season, regardless the cause...... leads to a poor career.
Interesting observation. I'll have to look out for this more in the future. It seems to be holding true thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
With all the turmoil around the school, and WRs graduating, I think the program will take a step back this year. Each bolded team I would chalk up as a loss right now. That would make them 8-4 and probably Cotton Bowl bound or so. Throw in a flukey loss to Rutgers, one of the Mississippis or possibly A&M, and it looks bad on his resume.
You forgot UL Monroe
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #39
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

So steelbluetexan wanted patterson end of 1st, then give up 3 oher picks for bray? Lol
Old 01-25-2014   #40
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
So steelbluetexan wanted patterson end of 1st, then give up 3 oher picks for bray? Lol
Yep

Patterson is beeter than Hopkins. IMHO

Bray would be my #1 QB in this draft. The guy has all of the ability in the world. Do you find it curious that Bray played better than Daniels (Even though Daniels was paid 2 mil in FA.) and appeared to have beaten out Daniels for QB2.

So far I stand by my eval. I don't care that Bray went UDFA. If he had signed with the Texans the Texans wouldn't be looking at drafting a QB or picking 1-1. IMHO

Carry on with your TB lovefest.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read