Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-15-2012   #21
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brett Hartmanns back with vengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
From the ESPN.com story:

POSSIBLY career-ending knee injury, just like I said in my previous post.

He's suing on the potential for him to never play football again.

Good luck with that, Brett.
If you listen to the podcast in the link I posted, Hartmann & his lawyer mention that they don't know Hartmann's future status. They haven't even set a dollar amount. The lawyer said that would depend on if Hartmann can play again or not. Also, they might be satisfied with a change to the turf so that future injuries can be prevented.

With Reliant already moving to field turf for all non-NFL games, it sounds like they are preparing for the suit.
Old 11-15-2012   #22
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Whoa, hold on a sec.

So you're telling me Hartmann can never kick or punt again? I'm missing where that's the case. POTENTIALLY career-threatening is what I've heard.

He's doing this based on the potential for loss of money. Now, this also begs the question: What else could a player sue for, in terms of an outside force that would cause their career to end forever?

Can't I sue a player for making a hit on me that ended my career? Or maybe I'll sue the helmet company for not making a good enough helmet? Maybe I'll sue the trainers and the weight lifting coaches for not making my muscles and ligaments the proper consistency to help me avoid blowing out an ACL or a quad? Where does it end?

Bratty ass punk is what this looks like to me. I think maybe him and Royce White are roomies or something. It's just silly, IMO. When people do things like this, it just looks so so sad to me. There are legitimate situation of negligence in life, is this really one of those? I don't think so.
Yep, that's what my post was telling you - that Hartmann can never kick or punt again.
Old 11-15-2012   #23
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
i dont think we are the only team who uses tray grass squares ..???? are we ????
Ummmm.... yeah, pretty sure we are.

Other places either have field turf or permanent grass.

Thanks Rodeo Houston.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012   #24
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
Ummmm.... yeah, pretty sure we are.

Other places either have field turf or permanent grass.

Thanks Rodeo Houston.

Does the rodeo prevent us from having field turf?
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012   #25
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Does the rodeo prevent us from having field turf?
No. The rodeo prevents us from having permanent grass. They insisted on the roof so the grass can't be grown continually in the stadium. The tray system was conceived to allow grass to be rotated for growing and replacement when there were other games before Texans games.

Hartman has a HUGE damage proof issue here. He can claim he can't play to try to recover for his sketchy suspended NFL career but if he does then he truly is cutting off any NFL career. He won't be able to try out or sign with anyone.
Old 11-15-2012   #26
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Yep, that's what my post was telling you - that Hartmann can never kick or punt again.
You were saying it was not the same because Tate and Welker recovered.

How do we know Hartmann won't recover too? And why wold it matter if he doesn't recover? He would have lost salary due to his suspensions he earned for himself, right?

We should sue HIM for being a dumbass and getting suspended for 11 games, meaning we would have a better punter right now had he not messed up. The Texans should sue him for that, too. He has cost us.

Civil lawsuits are SERIOUS FUN!
Old 11-16-2012   #27
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Practically speaking, Hartmann can never work in the NFL again. I contend that he came to understand that reality and is now trying to capitalize on the circumstances. He suffered a season ending injury, which is tough when you are trying to get a job that only 32 people in the world can have. What really kills his chances, however, is the suspension. If a team were to give him a chance, they'd have to be willing to give him a spot on the roster and let him serve the 8 game suspension. He cannot serve the suspension while he is not on an active roster. That effectively ends his career.

Personally, I think the NFL needs to examine that scenario, because it truly does kill a kicker or punter's career. A team might give a linebacker or running back a chance as the 53rd guy on the roster, but no team is going to hold two punters for half a season and then cut the guy keeping the seat warm.

Hartmann knows all this. He knew before he filed this that he'd never play NFL football again.
Old 11-16-2012   #28
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Practically speaking, Hartmann can never work in the NFL again. I contend that he came to understand that reality and is now trying to capitalize on the circumstances. He suffered a season ending injury, which is tough when you are trying to get a job that only 32 people in the world can have. What really kills his chances, however, is the suspension. If a team were to give him a chance, they'd have to be willing to give him a spot on the roster and let him serve the 8 game suspension. He cannot serve the suspension while he is not on an active roster. That effectively ends his career.

Personally, I think the NFL needs to examine that scenario, because it truly does kill a kicker or punter's career. A team might give a linebacker or running back a chance as the 53rd guy on the roster, but no team is going to hold two punters for half a season and then cut the guy keeping the seat warm.

Hartmann knows all this. He knew before he filed this that he'd never play NFL football again.
According to Hartmann's lawyer (in the podcast above), Hartmann is eligible to kick in the NFL immediately - if he were healthy. He has served his suspension time already.
Old 11-16-2012   #29
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
According to Hartmann's lawyer (in the podcast above), Hartmann is eligible to kick in the NFL immediately - if he were healthy. He has served his suspension time already.
That's something I was wondering about.

My understanding was that he couldn't serve his suspension without being on a roster. But... that doesn't make sense. That makes guys totally unsignable in a very unfair way.

It makes much more sense that if you're unsigned and miss X number of games, those games count at least somewhat toward your suspension.

I looked for the rule on that on NFL.com but I couldn't find anything referring to it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012   #30
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I've read on here, once the season gets to the 11-game mark, he's served his suspension. The 3 games for original sin, then the 8 extra he earned for other transgressions.

Once the 11 games are up, he can play. But nobody would take him at that point unless their punter got injured.

Might as well sue the turf management company while sitting out all these games and probably the entire season.

What team in off-season or camp of 2013 would want to burden itself with a heavily suspended, recovering from blown knee, lawsuit happy punter???

Like I said: Looks like him and Royce White are getting the same advice from the same life coach.
Old 11-16-2012   #31
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Well, I found this, FWIW:

Quote:
Overall roster limits have been expanded from 80 to 90 players per club, the NFL announced yesterday. This will provide teams with greater roster flexibility and allow more players to be developed and evaluated.

The 90-player roster limit, which goes into effect today at 4:00 PM ET, includes players on the active, inactive, practice squad, and exempt lists, and the following reserve lists: injured, physically unable to perform, non-football illness, non-football injury, suspended (for less than one year), future, drafted-unsigned, exclusive rights, first refusal rights, unrestricted free agents with an individually negotiated right of first refusal, franchise, and transition.

The first roster reduction is to 75 players on the active list and will occur at 4:00 PM ET on the Tuesday, August 28 following preseason week 3. The final roster reduction is to 53 players on the active list and will occur at 9:00 PM ET on Friday, August 31 of preseason week 4.
So the initial roster is active + all those = 90 players. Active has to be cut to 75 and then 53, but not sure how many spots that leaves for suspended players and the like. Either way, I can't find anything that says unsigned, suspended players serve out their suspensions while unemployed. It would make more sense if they could, but I just can't find anything to confirm that. I had heard that this was not the case, but also cannot confirm that. Seems like they categorize players suspended for less than a year differently, maybe?

*shrug*

EDIT - OK, also found this piece from Mike Florio, which sheds a little more light on it:

Quote:
Now that free-agent receiver Chad Johnson has pleaded no contest to charges of domestic violence, Johnson is subject to discipline under the personal-conduct policy.

But a source with knowledge of the procedure explains to PFT that Johnson likely won’t be disciplined until he returns to the NFL.

That said, if a team is interested in signing him and wants to know if he is facing a suspension, a decision could be made prior to Johnson signing a contract.

If Johnson had been issued a suspension before he was cut by the Dolphins, he could have served the suspension while unemployed. Not that he’s unemployed but has yet to be officially suspended, the league apparently isn’t inclined to suspend him until he has a team.
So do we know if Hartmann's eight game suspension came down after he was cut by the Texans, or before? I think the three game suspension came while he was still with the team, but wasn't sure about the latter. Also, it looks like the league uses the suspension mechanism to blackball players at times.
Old 11-16-2012   #32
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

So the initial roster is active + all those = 90 players. Active has to be cut to 75 and then 53, but not sure how many spots that leaves for suspended players and the like. Either way, I can't find anything that says unsigned, suspended players serve out their suspensions while unemployed. It would make more sense if they could, but I just can't find anything to confirm that. I had heard that this was not the case, but also cannot confirm that. Seems like they categorize players suspended for less than a year differently, maybe?

*shrug*

EDIT - OK, also found this piece from Mike Florio, which sheds a little more light on it:

So do we know if Hartmann's eight game suspension came down after he was cut by the Texans, or before? I think the three game suspension came while he was still with the team, but wasn't sure about the latter. Also, it looks like the league uses the suspension mechanism to blackball players at times.
It came down after he was cut, but my understanding is that it was issued as a modification of the original suspension, not as a new 8 game suspension, so he still gets credit whether he's under contract to an NFL team or not.
Old 11-16-2012   #33
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
From what I've read on here, once the season gets to the 11-game mark, he's served his suspension. The 3 games for original sin, then the 8 extra he earned for other transgressions.

Once the 11 games are up, he can play. But nobody would take him at that point unless their punter got injured.

Might as well sue the turf management company while sitting out all these games and probably the entire season.

What team in off-season or camp of 2013 would want to burden itself with a heavily suspended, recovering from blown knee, lawsuit happy punter???

Like I said: Looks like him and Royce White are getting the same advice from the same life coach.
Yeah, Hartmann screwed the pooch here. There's no way RS lets him drive into the parking lot let alone join the team. Just think, this cat had it going on. Like's been mentioned, he could split the uprights on on a kickoff plus he had a real knack for dropping his punts really deep. As in several times pinned at the goal line.

I almost feel sorry for the guy, but don't. He went through the orientation, sat through the classes and knew the rules. When he made the decisions he made, he knew what he was doing and the potential outcome. Then allegedly lied to the Commish. Death sentence.

I'm disappointed with the choices Brett made and hope he can turn it around. Where and when that happens but I'm pretty sure it won't be in the NFL.

I can only hope he learns from this really costly education and wish him well.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012   #34
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243454 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

*shrug*

His additional 8 game suspension has been always referred to by the league as an "extension" rather than "addition," thus implying that the penalty is based on action(s) occurring at the time of the first infraction. So it would seem that he would be able to return to playing with a team, previously employed or not, following the completion of the concurrent 11 game suspension.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012   #35
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
From the ESPN.com story:

POSSIBLY career-ending knee injury, just like I said in my previous post.

He's suing on the potential for him to never play football again.

Good luck with that, Brett.
While I agree with you on this,

This field at Reliant is sh*t, has been sh*t and will continue to be sh*t unless somebody like Hartmann wins and forces Harris county/BoB/Rodeo to make improvements.

Surely you've seen the field on the Sunday after the high school playoff/bowl games? It's dangerous, but oh I forgot, God'ell is all about player saftey. LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #36
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Well, one reason might be that Welker, Tate, and Andre all recovered from their injuries, and they lost zero salary while they were in the process of that recovery. That is to say there's absolutely no way they could show damages.

I think this is a longshot lawsuit. I'm actually one of the folks here who's never complained about the field, and believe that most of those that do are talking about something they know next to nothing about (or parroting those folks), but Welker and Tate's circumstances are completely different than what Hartmann is claiming.
Have you ever played on the field at Reliant? If you haven't, how can you complain about something that you haven't experienced? Your argument makes no sense.

The reason some of us have complained about the field is because there's proof that the field is a problem. No, I haven't played on Reliant, either, but, there's a lot of solid evidence that the field is a mess.

As for Hartmann: He's going to lose. I'm not an attorney, but a buddy is, and I've learned a lot about how lawyers think. The field at Reliant is a mess, yes, but there's a certain amount of risk involved with Brett's profession, and he knew that when he chose to become a football player.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #37
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Have you ever played on the field at Reliant? If you haven't, how can you complain about something that you haven't experienced? Your argument makes no sense.

The reason some of us have complained about the field is because there's proof that the field is a problem. No, I haven't played on Reliant, either, but, there's a lot of solid evidence that the field is a mess.

As for Hartmann: He's going to lose. I'm not an attorney, but a buddy is, and I've learned a lot about how lawyers think. The field at Reliant is a mess, yes, but there's a certain amount of risk involved with Brett's profession, and he knew that when he chose to become a football player.
I haven't, and I haven't expressed any personal viewpoints regarding field quality.

I have posted results of NFL player polls that rated the field quality in the upper half of NFL's natural grass surfaces and expressed a far greater level of confidence in that evidence than the comments of those who say it looks bad on television or from their seat in Reliant.
Old 11-17-2012   #38
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, I haven't played on Reliant, either, but, there's a lot of solid evidence that the field is a mess.
What evidence?
Old 11-17-2012   #39
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
What evidence?
Give me a break. Players and other teams have been complaining about Reliant for years.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #40
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Give me a break. Players and other teams have been complaining about Reliant for years.
There's also been quotes from players who like Reliant's field.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read