Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-14-2012   #41
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dobbins Fined 30K

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think that is what you are confusing. QBs out of the box or past the LOS canbe tackled like any other player; just no head shot & that goes for any player not just QBs. NFL has got to reduce head injuries and all the law suits are a result of NFL ignoring concussions.

Does Dobbins have any historical incidents that might have increased this amount from$15k?
People, the rules have been provided repeatedly in the this thread and the Hit on Cutler thread. There is nothing QB related here. Any player in the act of throwing the ball or immediately afterward is a defenseless player. It is not illegal to have helmet to helmet contact ordinarily, i.e. non-defenseless players. That's why there is a special rule about it for defenseless players.
Old 11-14-2012   #42
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
Also, I don't agree with Dobbins' comments after the game. Guy should have more class than that. Even "if" his intent was to knock him out of the game, and "if" that's something that the defense celebrates amongst themselves, then that is something that should be kept to himself. Statements like that only bring retaliation from other players and Schaub has had his fair share of questionable hits.
This is the part that worries me, especially with his division-mate jack-hole Jared Allen coming to town in a few weeks.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012   #43
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

For those of you interested in where the fine money has gone in the past and the present:

Where does the fine money go? - USATODAY.com

Where Does the Money Go When an NFL Player or Coach is Fined?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012   #44
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

The ball was out of his hands before Dobbins launched (and he did launch), plus there was helmet to helmet contact. I don't think there's a shadow of doubt that what he did was fineable, and, in my opinion, worthy of a suspension (which, thankfully, he did not get).
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012   #45
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Surely this doesn't come as a surprise to anyone, we all knew this was coming. Be happy he wasn't suspended a game. He'll pay the fine and move on to the next game.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012   #46
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Boo!!!

Don't pay it, Tim!
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012   #47
Rockville
Load Up

Rep Power: 0 Rockville is a quality contributor and well respectedRockville is a quality contributor and well respectedRockville is a quality contributor and well respectedRockville is a quality contributor and well respectedRockville is a quality contributor and well respectedRockville is a quality contributor and well respectedRockville is a quality contributor and well respectedRockville is a quality contributor and well respectedRockville is a quality contributor and well respectedRockville is a quality contributor and well respectedRockville is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
The ball was out of his hands before Dobbins launched (and he did launch), plus there was helmet to helmet contact. I don't think there's a shadow of doubt that what he did was fineable, and, in my opinion, worthy of a suspension (which, thankfully, he did not get).
I agree. I expected a fine, maybe not this high but in the neighborhood of $20K. Even if Dobbins thought he was going to run, or was over the line of scrimmage, the ball left Cutlers hand and Dobbins was 4 yards away. If not 4 at the very least 3.5. And he didn't try to let up; he lunged into Cutler. I think it's very fortunate he wasn't suspended.

Last edited by Rockville; 11-14-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Rockville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012   #48
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Looking at in hindsight I felt bad for the hit. I had two bets on the game (not that it is important) and said bet was off and you don't owe me.

At speed of the game at the time of the play. I thought cutler was way over the line of scrimmage(his first pump of the football was the line). I was wrong but was thinking where Tim was at the time..he had no idea I that section of time. Just stop the guy in front of you.

However it happens ,just like defenseless receivers. A second is not a long time in that scenario.i think where Tim got in trouble also was his comments afterwards
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012   #49
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Looking at in hindsight I felt bad for the hit. I had two bets on the game (not that it is important) and said bet was off and you don't owe me.

At speed of the game at the time of the play. I thought cutler was way over the line of scrimmage(his first pump of the football was the line). I was wrong but was thinking where Tim was at the time..he had no idea I that section of time. Just stop the guy in front of you.

However it happens ,just like defenseless receivers. A second is not a long time in that scenario.i think where Tim got in trouble also was his comments afterwards
If you go back and watch the play from the snap, you can clearly see the ball is spotted just across the 50 yard line. When the Center grabs it and sets up to hike, the ball is touching the 50 yard line. If you look at it that way, Cutler was definitely beyond the LOS when he threw it. The announcers had a bad angle to view the play and incorrectly marked the LOS at the 48.5 yard line, which is why some people think his back foot was still behind it.
Old 11-14-2012   #50
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have a problem with him getting fined. Someone remind me, what did the guy pay for knocking Schaubs block off?
Old 11-14-2012   #51
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I don't have a problem with him getting fined. Someone remind me, what did the guy pay for knocking Schaubs block off?
$50k and one game suspended for Joe Mays, Von Miller got fined $25k I believe.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012   #52
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 81427 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

So d1ckhead gets 10k for diving at Cushing's knee and ending his season, but Dobbins gets 30k for meeting a running QB at the LOS. Makes perfect sense.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012   #53
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
So d1ckhead gets 10k for diving at Cushing's knee and ending his season, but Dobbins gets 30k for meeting a running QB at the LOS. Makes perfect sense.
A running QB without the ball. Who got hit in the head. Although, that opens up the question: is there more protection for head injuries than knee injuries? Both can end careers...
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012   #54
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Helmet to helmet resulting a in a name QB on a branded team. I can't see why anyone would be surprised by this. Maybe 30K is a little stiff but come on, them's the breaks. I'd bet the 30K that Dobbins IS going to pay that he would do it 10 times over if it resulted in 10 more wins.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012   #55
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I dont think the fine is calculated based off the injury it causes or amount of time the player who was hit misses.
2012Champs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012   #56
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
I dont think the fine is calculated based off the injury it causes or amount of time the player who was hit misses.
It isn't, which is why the guy that cheap-shotted Cushing was only fined 10k.
Old 11-15-2012   #57
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Simple. Head injury vs. leg injury.

NFL is trying to clean up the traumatic outcomes of head injuries.
Old 11-15-2012   #58
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Helmet to helmet resulting a in a name QB on a branded team. I can't see why anyone would be surprised by this. Maybe 30K is a little stiff but come on, them's the breaks. I'd bet the 30K that Dobbins IS going to pay that he would do it 10 times over if it resulted in 10 more wins.
I'd argue that he wouldn't because that would cost him $300,000 which is a lot of money for Timmy.

Haha, in all seriousness, I think the team should pull money together and pick up the tab for him. (for the $30k fine..not advocating for dirty football..though I thought the hit was legit)
Old 11-15-2012   #59
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
yeah the NFL does a lot of things well, but their arbitrary all-over the-map system of player and Team fines is a joke at best. The players union accepted this whimsical system so its hard to cry about it now (players not us fans). I'm not accusing anyone of actually crying about this incident but when I do see players grumbling about how arbitrary this is I can't help but think that their Union leadership missed the boat on this one.

I think an independent panel of ex-players should make the decision on the fines. An equal mix of defensive and offensive players. It's also a good way to keep the older guys in the game/eyes of the public as well.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read