Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-12-2012   #121
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Texans Draft Needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Texans will have to address long term contracts for both JJ Watt & Brian Cushing. Then guys like Barwin, Jackson & Quin are due. Texan brass on Kirby may look genius now but their work is never done & wil have to not only make the right choices, tough choices as well plus some Luck.

Good time this off-season to resign Cushing & Barwin. After that they will need to add several complimentary players on the cheap via draft/FA.
I think we will see these guys extended in their last contract year as with Schaub and Foster and Myers. Cushing 2013 & Watt 2014. I am hopeful Quin and Casey gets renewed this off season. For example, I could see Antonio Smith (turned 31 Oct '12) being extended 2-3 years lowering his base from $6m(cap $8.5m) 2014.

As Jonathan Joseph is at $7.5m for '13 & '14 he seems a primary re-do that could bring Cushing back.

Schaub at $10 m ('14) 7 $12m ('15) could also be looked at then.

For me the future moves with Kareem Jackson free agent in 2015 with Watt and Derek Newton are more interesting. Still some time off but you can bet Chris Olsen Texans cap guru is working his calculator. KJ looks like a permanent fixture and Newton is holding his own at right tackle. All three could command mucho pesos.

To add spice and intrigue, TJ Yates and Brook Reed also are FAs in 15. I think both of these could be addressed by draft picks in same scenario we find Conner Barwin this year. The new CBA could really work in team's favor as planned.

Myers could be replaced by Jones in 2014 saving $5m & $6m (2015) for Watt.

I think all our prime time free agents can be re-signed if Smith wants them.
Another reason our drafts going forward excites me.
Old 11-12-2012   #122
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

surprised no one is mentioning TE after the bears game. GG didnt offer much having to replace OD, i considered it a need before this game and the bears game reaffirmed this.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #123
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
surprised no one is mentioning TE after the bears game. GG didnt offer much having to replace OD, i considered it a need before this game and the bears game reaffirmed this.
I disagree, but that's what message boards like this are for. I think OD will be back next season, and so will GG. I think Casey should be a relatively inexpensive re-signing and if we do go for a TE it would probably be someone like Michael Williams from Alabama who has some pass catching ability but is mostly a blocking TE in the later rounds.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #124
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

While the cap will be our enemy moving forward, we will enter the 2013 draft with 4 extra picks (compensatory)... Definitely a 3rd and then at least two more picks between rounds 4 and 6, probably three...

This trend will continue. With our depth, every solid player we lose via free agency will net us a compensatory pick if we do not replace the player with a similar tiered free agent (up to 4). This heightens the importance of being responsible with contract extensions... Each bad contract will not only require a cap hit when the player is cut, but we will not receive draft pick compensation for it. Only players that play out their entire contract and are signed as free agents can net a team compensatory picks.

So, whomever we don't sign out of this group:

Barwin, Quin, McCain, Cody, Caldwell, Casey, Forsett, Dobbins (if they are offered more than about $1.25 million per year, will net the Texans an extra draft pick... However, if we cut A.Smith, W.Smith, or OD for cap room, we get zero compensation.
Old 11-13-2012   #125
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Dale you can add Butler to that list of FA as well, right? I think he's a FA at the end of this season and highly unlikely to be re-signed. Is 4 the limit of compensatory picks?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #126
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
While the cap will be our enemy moving forward, we will enter the 2013 draft with 4 extra picks (compensatory)... Definitely a 3rd and then at least two more picks between rounds 4 and 6, probably three...

This trend will continue. With our depth, every solid player we lose via free agency will net us a compensatory pick if we do not replace the player with a similar tiered free agent (up to 4). This heightens the importance of being responsible with contract extensions... Each bad contract will not only require a cap hit when the player is cut, but we will not receive draft pick compensation for it. Only players that play out their entire contract and are signed as free agents can net a team compensatory picks.

So, whomever we don't sign out of this group:

Barwin, Quin, McCain, Cody, Caldwell, Casey, Forsett, Dobbins (if they are offered more than about $1.25 million per year, will net the Texans an extra draft pick... However, if we cut A.Smith, W.Smith, or OD for cap room, we get zero compensation.
i think its a lot more complex then just the 1.25 mill. the only players i think we get comp picks out of that group would be barwin and quin, the others dont get much stats and would be had fairly cheap
Old 11-13-2012   #127
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I disagree, but that's what message boards like this are for. I think OD will be back next season, and so will GG. I think Casey should be a relatively inexpensive re-signing and if we do go for a TE it would probably be someone like Michael Williams from Alabama who has some pass catching ability but is mostly a blocking TE in the later rounds.
i agree that OD and GG will be back but i feel a better player is need then GG.
We play a lot of 2 TE sets and so my reasoning is that TE is more important to our offence then WR so i would go TE over WR
Old 11-13-2012   #128
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Owen is under a controllable contract & Garret is valuable depth plus cheap so I didn't include them in context of resigning foundation players coming up on free agency.

As we've all seen if value presents itself, very few are better than Rick Smith recognizing/incorporating Tight Ends into Kubiaks offense. I think they pride themselves on finding talent in the middle rounds & turning them into very capable players. If Tyler Eifert is available 32nd he would be too tempting even for Texans to pass on, oh what he could do for Matt Schaub & company. More likely they stay in the middle rounds & add more of a inline power blocker that moves well, can block like a LT who can shade either tackle to seal off inside angles as well speed edge rushers. Three Amigos favorite is Iowa TE, CJ Fiedorowiez, 3rd rd.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #129
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I too am watching Alabama's Williams as similar to Fiedo as a huge blocker that has soft hands but could be had probably in 5th opening up a higher pick for another position. Man I am hoping for some trade ups with our 3rd, 4th and 5th picks. If we can get a nose, WR2 and a ILB with three high picks we can fill in depth with comps.

1. WR Terrence Williams 2. (3,4,5) RB Ed Lacy 2b Nose Luis Nix (Tate) 2c (our own)QB Zac Dysert 3. comp ILB Andrew Jackson.

We could have as many as two comps in 5th & one in 6th.
Old 11-14-2012   #130
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Owen is under a controllable contract & Garret is valuable depth plus cheap so I didn't include them in context of resigning foundation players coming up on free agency. As we've all seen if value presents itself, very few are better than Rick Smith recognizing/incorporating Tight Ends into Kubiaks offense. I think they pride themselves on finding talent in the middle rounds & turning them into very capable players. If Tyler Eifert is available 32nd he would be too tempting even for Texans to pass on, oh what he could do for Matt Schaub & company. More likely they stay in the middle rounds & add more of a inline power blocker that moves well, can block like a LT who can shade either tackle to seal off inside angles as well speed edge rushers. Three Amigos favorite is Iowa TE, CJ Fiedorowiez, 3rd rd.
Exactly! Very well put!
Old 11-14-2012   #131
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134590 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
No need to "brush off" Posey next year, just cut Jean or let Walter go and there's your WR spot.

We could also stand to let go of one o-lineman or RB from the 53 man roster and add another WR.
But if so, what kind of WR do we target? Are we looking for a smallish, speed guy in the Steve Smith mold or a bigger 6'2, 6'3 guy? The bigger guys in the upcoming draft are Keenan Allen (who won't fall to us), Justin Hunter (who may, but I see Cordarelle Patterson being there when we draft), Cordarelle Patterson himself and Da'Rick Rogers. Smaller guys would be Tavon Austin or Stedman Bailey. Assuming we draft in the 28-32 range, who would we pick up?
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012   #132
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
But if so, what kind of WR do we target? Are we looking for a smallish, speed guy in the Steve Smith mold or a bigger 6'2, 6'3 guy? The bigger guys in the upcoming draft are Keenan Allen (who won't fall to us), Justin Hunter (who may, but I see Cordarelle Patterson being there when we draft), Cordarelle Patterson himself and Da'Rick Rogers. Smaller guys would be Tavon Austin or Stedman Bailey. Assuming we draft in the 28-32 range, who would we pick up?
Yeah, I don't expect Hunter or Allen to fall to us that late, Robert Woods might, but I would rather have one of the other two if possible. We should have 11 picks this next draft, so I would take a 1st, 3rd and 5th, and move up to the late teens to grab Keenan Allen if he's there. I don't know if he will fall that far though, but he might. If not, Hunter, Woods and Williams look like good prospects, and one of them could fall to our pick. I also wouldn't mind us using our 1st on Tyler Eifert to bolster the TE position for years to come. Use a 4th to move up to the mid-20's to grab Eifert, and then use the 2nd and 3rd to move up to the early 2nd and grab Williams or Woods if they are there. That would completely reshape our offense and give Kubiak more to work with.
Old 11-14-2012   #133
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Just my thoughts & I have spent the last hour reviewing this position AGAIN (lol) I think Patterson comes out only if he gets a first round rating from NFL. Terrence Williams 6'2" 205 should be there 77/1431 19.6 avg. 4.49

I am just not sure Kubiak is going to add to WRs; Jean $1/2m 2013. Posier is 6'1 5/8 211 & projected 4.44 I think he's going nowhere. Martin solidifies his roster spot with returns. Walter is a solid WR2 6'3" 218 15 yd avg. He blocks downfield & that makes Gary grin. Add AJ and that's the same 5 with no second round WR beating out any imo. It's Williams in first or none.

Throw in Owen Daniels at a 900 yards pace...
Old 11-14-2012   #134
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Just my thoughts & I have spent the last hour reviewing this position AGAIN (lol) I think Patterson comes out only if he gets a first round rating from NFL. Terrence Williams 6'2" 205 should be there 77/1431 19.6 avg. 4.49

I am just not sure Kubiak is going to add to WRs; Jean $1/2m 2013. Posier is 6'1 5/8 211 & projected 4.44 I think he's going nowhere. Martin solidifies his roster spot with returns. Walter is a solid WR2 6'3" 218 15 yd avg. He blocks downfield & that makes Gary grin. Add AJ and that's the same 5 with no second round WR beating out any imo. It's Williams in first or none.

Throw in Owen Daniels at a 900 yards pace...
right on the money!
Old 11-15-2012   #135
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
right on the money!
We still should be able to improve our "need" positions but I agree with Beerlover's post (somewhere) that we are seeing a repeat of 2012 draft. Receivers after first round are not very appealing. I wished we could see more of Lestar Jean! The dude has AJ size & could develop into a WR1. He and martin could take stress off me. lol

As the Three Amigos have discussed, Tyler Eifert would be a stong candidate if available in first.

Did anyone else hear that A&Ms Datrone Moore has said he is returning to college next season?
Old 11-15-2012   #136
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We still should be able to improve our "need" positions but I agree with Beerlover's post (somewhere) that we are seeing a repeat of 2012 draft. Receivers after first round are not very appealing. I wished we could see more of Lestar Jean! The dude has AJ size & could develop into a WR1. He and martin could take stress off me. lol

As the Three Amigos have discussed, Tyler Eifert would be a stong candidate if available in first.

Did anyone else hear that A&Ms Datrone Moore has said he is returning to college next season?
Hey, most sources I've heard indicate Damontre Moore will apply for early entry (lock first round grade). In fact he should displace Dion Jordan, Oregon, who could now be available end of 1st rd. if OLB is your cup of tea

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012   #137
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Hey, most sources I've heard indicate Damontre Moore will apply for early entry (lock first round grade). In fact he should displace Dion Jordan, Oregon, who could now be available end of 1st rd. if OLB is your cup of tea
You know I am all over that! I either heard it on tv or maybe it was one of those trailers on ESPN but cannot track it down. I was listening to radio show last week and they were talking about Joeckel and Matthews remaining for next season as a possibility. That would sure mess up first round especially if some other players opted to do same.

Old 11-15-2012   #138
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

i think a few of you know how important i think TE is.
I think we should go with BPA at TE or NT in the first round. pretty much eifert against nix (who thanks to you guys i have been reading a lot about), jesse williams (cmon the aussie) and jenkins if he falls.
Old 11-16-2012   #139
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
i think a few of you know how important i think TE is.
I think we should go with BPA at TE or NT in the first round. pretty much eifert against nix (who thanks to you guys i have been reading a lot about), jesse williams (cmon the aussie) and jenkins if he falls.
I love EIfert but OD is not going anywhere as on pace for 900 + yds. Casey will be resigned due to role he successfully fills. For a 3rd TE I like Mike Williams ND 6'5 272 good hands & very good blocker. Lower round than Fiedo. Besides, you don't go BPA when there is a dire need.
Old 11-16-2012   #140
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I love EIfert but OD is not going anywhere as on pace for 900 + yds. Casey will be resigned due to role he successfully fills. For a 3rd TE I like Mike Williams ND 6'5 272 good hands & very good blocker. Lower round than Fiedo. Besides, you don't go BPA when there is a dire need.
Agreed

As long as OD is healthy TE is a low priority. IMHO

Give me a guy like Williams or Nick Kasa in td 4-7 over Fiedo in rd 2-3.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read