Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-13-2012   #81
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kareem Jackson allowing only 2.5 receptions and 35 yards per game

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
That is the first two games, his snap counts went down and roles changed during the season when he seemed to actually regress. Jason Allen
came in and McCain didn't even suit up late in the season.
After the first two games we were all mostly just pumped about Arian and Andre. We obviously were a BIT suspicious watching joey galloway run right past Jackson all day.
Now you done make me go back and watched another 6 or 7 games of the 2010 season, LOL!

I am sorry, but you rely on your memory too much.

First off, early in the seasons, once in a while, McCain would spell KJax in the line-up so he can have a breather. McManis also saw the field here and there. Quin played the most number of snaps.
That continued through the year.

What Allen did was to knock McCain down to a dime back, with McManis no longer playing. Quin was also able to take a breather now and then.
If KJax saw reduced playing time, it was minimal. It doesn't hurt a rookie a bit not to have to play the whole game late in the season.
I was in the group that would rather have a veteran in the line-up to start the season with for the same reason anyway.

Now I think you need to bring proof to back up your statement that he seemed to regress instead of just relying on your memory.

BTW, Galloway did not run past KJax but that one time when the Texans were either playing with 10 men on the field or Wilson simply dissapear. I had talked about this in length before. I went back and look at that play again several times.

Playing for an inside release, the CB has got to have deep safety help in the middle on the post route; there was none.

It was supposed to be zone under anyway. KJax was not on Galloway initially. He was on another receiver on the outside. When this guy when into motion to fake a reverse (he never went past the LOS), KJax didn't follow him; that was the first sign of zone coverage.

Secondly, with the Skins in 21 personnel, both receivers were on KJax side, but there was no other CB anywhere near him; that's the second sign of zone coverage.

Thirdly, the Texans were in their 4-3; Quin was on the other side, the strong side with the TE with Pollard behind to back him up; that's the third sign of zone coverage.

After that, KJax only gave up two more receptions, both were short routes under 10 yards.

After that, KJax only gave two short passes, both under 10 yards.
One was on a difficult to defend short fade; the other was in front of the short zone.

There was a Galloway break out that McNabb missed, but KJax was on the other side of the field. I won't bother go into detail who the other CB was and whatever happened on that play, but you can guess it: no safety in the middle either.

I will get to the other points later.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #82
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 3101 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Or could it be that #25 was never bad to start with.

Think about that for a moment.
OK..........

Nope he sucked. Sorry.

Quote:
Now I think you need to bring proof to back up your statement that he seemed to regress instead of just relying on your memory.
I will get to the other points later.
No thanks. I have all the games since 2009 recorded from NFL Rewind when I made the 2011 defense video. I just feel cutting it to "prove" Kareem Jackson was horrible is a massive waste of time. It will then either go to semantics of what does "bad" and "horrible" mean; or it will devolve into an argument of him not being the worst DB and how much he contributed to the "badness". I don't recall ever saying he would never improve, but do recall getting kicked in the nads every week by the atrocious defensive failures and deep balls.

I guess this might seem close minded, and I'm not taking a shot at you AT ALL, I just am not a huge fan of long involved internet discussions. Thus my 200 posts and low rep power LOL.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #83
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I've gone over this before with 76....Kareem was not a good player his rookie year. He wasn't a great player last year either. Bad players around him and poor coaching were a part of his bad play, but he was not out there playing well but made to look bad because of the players around him. He is an improved player...period....

Now myers is a guy that I believe took too much heat. He had some bad plays, but overall he's been solid since he got here.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012   #84
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I've gone over this before with 76....Kareem was not a good player his rookie year. He wasn't a great player last year either. Bad players around him and poor coaching were a part of his bad play, but he was not out there playing well but made to look bad because of the players around him. He is an improved player...period....

Now myers is a guy that I believe took too much heat. He had some bad plays, but overall he's been solid since he got here.
if your definition of solid is top 5 center for the majority of the time he's been here
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012   #85
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OK..........

Nope he sucked. Sorry.

No thanks. I have all the games since 2009 recorded from NFL Rewind when I made the 2011 defense video. I just feel cutting it to "prove" Kareem Jackson was horrible is a massive waste of time. It will then either go to semantics of what does "bad" and "horrible" mean; or it will devolve into an argument of him not being the worst DB and how much he contributed to the "badness". I don't recall ever saying he would never improve, but do recall getting kicked in the nads every week by the atrocious defensive failures and deep balls.

I guess this might seem close minded, and I'm not taking a shot at you AT ALL, I just am not a huge fan of long involved internet discussions. Thus my 200 posts and low rep power LOL.
OK, so here's the play:

Moss to be in motion from right to left

The whole sequence is here:

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...0Galloway/111/

Several different angles are here:
http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...to%20Galloway/

Now you and Rey tell me where Wilson is?
The closest guys to KJax were the ref and Pollard (who was some 9-10 yards away as the ball arrived):

If Wilson was back there like any FS should have been, that ball would have never been thrown. Even if McNabb decided to force the ball in there, it would have been broken up by the FS (don't you think Manning or Quin would have done that?)

For JamesBill, if you claim that Galloway was running past KJax ALL DAY, I hate to say it, but the claim is not valid.

And for Rey, who "decided" that KJax still had to make that play somehow no matter that it was zone coverage, and that this was a bad play by KJax, I have to disagree.

Just because the guy was put in a bad situation doesn't mean that he made a bad play. In fact, he did well enough to make that tackle to help minimize the damage. Honestly, that's really all you can ask for from a CB in such a circumstance.

Last edited by 76Texan; 11-14-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-14-2012   #86
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad KJ's improved. In Wade I trust.

Perki Perk is serving my crow in a broth with a little salt and pepper.

KJ improved some last yr but not enough to keep from having to split snaps with Jason Allen. Wade had faith that KJ would continue his growth pattern. Wade was correct, thank god Wade is on this coaching staff. He knows talent and how to get the best out of the talent he has.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012   #87
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I said they couldn't play bump and run. He stopped falling down because the genius coaching staff "adjusted" by playing the corners 10-15 yards off the line to avoid those devastating deep balls which came after being run over or being run by. I think it became obvious you didn't have to knock him over to get by him so they stopped trying.

Glover was the best DB that year and the rest were all poor save Jason Allen, but #25 had the ability to make guys who never played in the NFL again look like superstars.
I disagree with these statements as well.

The Texans still played bump and run as well as press coverage thoughout the year. The times the CBs had a 5-10 yard cushion (not the exaggerated 10-15 as "claimed" occured since day one when the Texans had them playing the shuffle technique; that's how any team would do with that same technique.
A good number of times, they would drop back into cover 3; that's why we see a lot of open space between our CBs and the opponents' receivers.

If you like to think that Quin was our best CB, check this out:
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...r-snaps-count/

And that was with him being saved on numerous occasions by one of his teammates or with the QB missing the receivers.

The same goes for Allen.
Here are a bunch of time when Allen fell down for the Dolphins, and this doesn't not include the times he fell down when he was with the Texans in 2010.

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...Jason%20Allen/
Old 11-14-2012   #88
76Texan
Hall of Fame

And here was the rest of KJ's performance in the Skins game, which we won 30-27.

On the first drive KJax read the screen pass to Moss well to stop him for no gain on third and nine at the Texans 23, limiting the Skins to a FG.

The Skins then have the ball at the Texans 42.
They threw a pass to a wide open Cooley who advanced to the Texans 9.
On second and goal, KJax set the edge, turned the runner inside to help stop him cold for no gain to force third and a long nine.
An incomplete pass on third down once again forced the Skins to kick a FG.
KJax played a part in this stop.

Both stops were important since the Texans ended up winning 30-27.

In the second quarter, the Skins scored a TD after that long bom to Galloway.
A 10yd fade route allowed by KJ to Galloway was after the long bomb. (He was right there, but couldn't jar the ball out of Galloway's hands.

On the Skins fourth drive, KJax broke up a pass to Galloway on third and 3 to stop the drive, forcing the Skins to punt.

On the next drive, McNabb attempted another deep pass similar to the one to Cooley early in the game, this time to the FB Sellers.
KJax was running with his receiver on a post route; he broke off his man quickly and came back to the sideline ready to break off the pass; McNabb overthrew Seller, however.
They would try it again on the next play to the same side, this time to the TE Davis.
Wilson was blown off by the FB Sellers; once again, KJax broke off his man on a post route to come back to the sideline to cut down Davis at the one.
Too bad, the Skins went on to score a TD.
Still, KJax did everything he could to make it hard for the opponent.

In the fourth quarter, on another third and goal, KJax jumped on his receiver quickly on a quick out route.
With the other receiver bracketed by McCain and Pollard, McNabb had to go to his third read, giving Wilson time to read and break up the pass in the middle.
The Texans blocked the FG attempt which was critical.

In OT, KJax had good coverage on his man, McNabb looked that way, but decided not to pull the trigger; Mario and Okoye came in to combine for a sack.

KJax also made a few more tackles or assists in run support.

If only there was a FS on that long pass to Galloway, one would have to conclude that KJax had a very solid game. He only allowed another 7yd catch in front of the short zone, like I had mentioned in a previous post.

He also had a very solid game the week before against the Colts (week 1).
Nobody could say that Manning picked on the rookie in his first NFL game.
In fact, KJax also had a solid game against Indy the second time around (Week 7).
Old 11-14-2012   #89
foo82
Veteran

Rep Power: 2648 foo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respected

I counter your detailed arguments with my vague memories of him slipping and the media/MB fueling my arguments that Kareem sucks.
foo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012   #90
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo82 View Post
I counter your detailed arguments with my vague memories of him slipping and the media/MB fueling my arguments that Kareem sucks.
Kinda like Romo. It only takes one "awe-shucks" to wipe away a game full of "attaboys".
Old 11-14-2012   #91
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 4112 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nice!
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012   #92
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 3101 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you think Ben Tate would make a good special teams player?
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012   #93
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you think Ben Tate would make a good special teams player?
unsubscribe.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012   #94
76Texan
Hall of Fame

During the offseason when we hired Wade, I talked about the 2-receiver route that plagued the Texans defense in 2010 and put KJax in a hole on 4 long passes.

It involved a post route and a crossing route.

I mentioned one way to combat it is to have the offside CB to take over the post while the FS or the onside CB taking on the crossing route.

The diagram that I showed was as followed:

Here it was in action in 2011 against the Falcons.
Without this scheme, the onside CB (JJo) would have been toast.

KJax was the offside CB; he took over the post and came up with an INT against Rod White.

The whole sequence can be found here:

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/.../KJ%20INT/111/

End zone view:

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/.../KJ%20INT/222/
Old 11-19-2012   #95
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

just curious what this stat is now?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #96
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll admit he had a bad game yesterday. The slip & fall allowing Blackmon's big run to the non-commital Dobbins for a TD... that was bad.

But.... Blackmon had a big day against our secondary period.

Still, does not excuse the game Kj had.
Old 11-19-2012   #97
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I'll admit he had a bad game yesterday. The slip & fall allowing Blackmon's big run to the non-commital Dobbins for a TD... that was bad.

But.... Blackmon had a big day against our secondary period.

Still, does not excuse the game Kj had.
That was a rare mis-tackle there, but shouldn't have been a TD.

The long pass play, I still think it was a bad coverage scheme.
One safety (Manning I think) should stayed deep with KJax playing for the inside release. Either that or Quin shoulda.

Nano was playing for the outside release on his man on the other side, pinning him to the side line. It doesn't make much sense to have Quin on a double team from the get-go.

It's really difficult for a CB in that situation. The percentage is stacked against him.
Old 11-19-2012   #98
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
That was a rare mis-tackle there, but shouldn't have been a TD.
I also think something else was going on right there. McCain came running in before the snap, after the play had been called by the defense & everybody was getting set. You could see the Texans were a little confused about what they were supposed to do pre-snap.
Old 11-19-2012   #99
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

KJ regressed into the KJ of old yesterday. He was just plain bad. Give him a few props then watch him stink it up.

I think the only way to get KJ to play well is for me to dog him. LOL I'm sure 76 will find a way to make KJ's performance yesterday fall on somebody elses shoulders. Here come the screen shots.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #100
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7520 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

He played a decent game, saved one TD, slipped and missed a tackle. Almost had an INT, and it looked like they played zone alot
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read