Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-12-2012   #1
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Still think Owen Daniels will be a cap casualty next year?

He was sorely missed in Chicago, especially on third downs. He may not be the fastest or strongest TE in the game, but the man has an ELITE knack for getting OPEN, and it's more than likely going to be a first down every time he catches it.

Losing OD takes a dimension out of our game that I don't think we can afford to lose. I'd hesitate to cut Antonio Smith as well. I just hope to god we can afford to pay Quin and Barwin if we keep the aforementioned duo.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Still think Owen Daniels will be a cap casualty next year?

yep. Graham dropped a couple that would have been easy first downs for Daniels. You also cannot overlooked how great O.D. has been at blocking for both the running game and pass protection. Hopefully they can figure out a way to keep him under the cap.
Old 11-12-2012   #3
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he will be.

I think he gets open as much from scheme as anything.

Yesterday's game was no measuring stick, everything offensive was offensive.

Casey and Graham can make up for whatever we lose with OD.

Next Man Up.
Old 11-12-2012   #4
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Even more than simply the loss of OD's routes and hands, we were forced to play Harris at TE on some plays throughout the game I noticed.

That tips our hand to the D before the snap in a way our O isn't designed to cope with at all.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #5
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

GG made a very strong effort to extend that play for another 5-7 yards after the pass he caught to set up the successful FG attempt on the next play.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #6
awc713
Rookie

Rep Power: 247 awc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
GG made a very strong effort to extend that play for another 5-7 yards after the pass he caught to set up the successful FG attempt on the next play.
owen also would have made that critical catch on third down that graham missed...owen, thoguh hes not a #2 receiver, is a great secondary option that spreads our field.

i hope we can keep him. i do think there would be a dropoff if we lose both dressen and him. casey is good yes, but were using him at FB.
awc713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #7
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
He was sorely missed in Chicago, especially on third downs. He may not be the fastest or strongest TE in the game, but the man has an ELITE knack for getting OPEN, and it's more than likely going to be a first down every time he catches it.

Losing OD takes a dimension out of our game that I don't think we can afford to lose. I'd hesitate to cut Antonio Smith as well. I just hope to god we can afford to pay Quin and Barwin if we keep the aforementioned duo.
Thats why I dubbed him "Open" Daniels
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-12-2012   #8
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Hard to tell with the weather, the ball placement wasn't great at all from Schaub last night, so not really fair to gauge the entire season and replacement based on one game.

They'll run the numbers with Owen in and out and have all the stats to break down before they make that decision. He's likely going to have to take a bit of a pay cut likely if he wants to stay though.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #9
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Keeping Daniels is a must. Yes, a must.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #10
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see Dutch comment on the salary implications but rotoworld has him listed to make 4 million next season.

That seems manageable to me but there are so many other factors that come in to play. We still have a lot of other good players that are going to want to get paid when their contracts come up and it basically becomes a numbers game. If Daniels gets cut it will be strictly a business decision imo.
Old 11-12-2012   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
I would like to see Dutch comment on the salary implications but rotoworld has him listed to make 4 million next season.

That seems manageable to me but there are so many other factors that come in to play. We still have a lot of other good players that are going to want to get paid when their contracts come up and it basically becomes a numbers game. If Daniels gets cut it will be strictly a business decision imo.
For the Texans to keep him the the next two seasons they have to pay him a $3 mil option bonus this year which would be prorated over this year and the next two.

So 2012 cap hit is $4 mil in base salary, $750k in prorated signing bonus and $1 mil in prorated option bonus for a total salary cap hit of $5.75 mil.

If they do not pay the option bonus they will have to account for $1.5 mil in unprorated signing bonus.
Old 11-13-2012   #12
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think OD will be back next year. I don't remember the numbers but I don't think we've paid OD all of the guaranteed money in his contract plus his signing bonus money. I don't think McNair likes paying dead money out, so I think OD will be back next season.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I think OD will be back next year. I don't remember the numbers but I don't think we've paid OD all of the guaranteed money in his contract plus his signing bonus money. I don't think McNair likes paying dead money out, so I think OD will be back next season.
Signing bonuses are always guaranteed and its paid because it was paid at signing. The rest was a guarantee of his first year salary. So its paid. Now proration is another issue.
Old 11-13-2012   #14
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 6477 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope not. #88 has not stepped up the way Joel Dreessen did in OD's absence. I think Graham and a young WR would really have to step their game up for the Texans to feel comfortable letting OD go. He is having a great year so far.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #15
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

no way the front office will lose 2 Starting TE's in two years

unless they see someone they really like in the draft of F/a OD will get payed
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #16
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

he'll be back because there would be to much of a drop off at TE, we would be very weak there. GG is decent back up only
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read