Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-12-2012   #1
BlueSteel
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 BlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Hit on Cutler...

I have been floating around enjoying some of the news articles after the win and I was shocked to see a number of articles about Cutler being knocked out. It seems the fans in Chicago view the hit as "dirty" and "intended to knock Cutler out of the game."

When I watched the play unfold, the first thing I thought when he got hit was, "Why did he throw the ball he was way past the line of scrimmage" and Cutler just stopped running to throw the pass when the DBs came up for the hit.

When Dobbins hit him I thought, "Why the hell did he not slide after attempting to run the ball." Thinking that as soon as he passed the line of scrimmage he became a "runner."

So the question that I am stuck with and was confused about when there were to flags thrown was this... How can Cutler be flagged for throwing an illegal forward pass when he crosses the line of scrimage and yet still be protected as a QB when he ran the ball across the line of scrimmage?

All examples of running QBs crossing the line of scrimmage I can think of did not result in helmet to helmet calls unless the QB was sliding. RBs are not given helmet to helmet protection when they run the ball and I would have assumed it would pass over to Cutler in this instance.

All fans crying about this being some sort of headhunting bounty on the Texans parts need to go look at the two hits Scaub took against the Broncos. Then they can cry because they will realize our QB wouldn't be caught dead leavng the field after a tough hit and Cutler wouldn't return to the field for a play that was nowhere near as violent.
Old 11-12-2012   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hit on Cutler...

i would think after a QB runs past the LOS which isnt it like 12 yards hell would be consider a runner and he didnt even slide and when u hit a RB and heck sometimes even a WR and TE past the LOS getting hit high nothing gets called

its getting sicking D players might has well think u cant hit a QB high never no matter what even if u hit him in the chest vicous that would prob get called 2

THey might has well put flags on these QB's and get it over with LOL if u pull the flag off the play ends
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

That was not even a hit as much as an, "Oh, excuse me, but I have to stop you from going any further." Granted, he did make helmet to face-mask contact, but our guy didn't exactly push off and explode into a hit.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
i would think after a QB runs past the LOS which isnt it like 12 yards hell would be consider a runner and he didnt even slide and when u hit a RB and heck sometimes even a WR and TE past the LOS getting hit high nothing gets called

its getting sicking D players might has well think u cant hit a QB high never no matter what even if u hit him in the chest vicous that would prob get called 2

THey might has well put flags on these QB's and get it over with LOL if u pull the flag off the play ends
No, because they'd a call a foul on you for tearing part of the QB's "uniform" off.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
That was not even a hit as much as an, "Oh, excuse me, but I have to stop you from going any further." Granted, he did make helmet to face-mask contact, but our guy didn't exactly push off and explode into a hit.
Contact to the head was made .... obviously. I didnt think it was that significant until I realized he wasnt on the field in the second half .... then had to rewatch the hit a few times. Still didnt seem all that hard but .... Im not the one who got hit.

I know Fiddler disputed that in a thread in the Texans section saying that only applies to a defenseless player or a QB (in the pocket) but the way it was called was contact to the head - nothing said about defenseless player or "QB."

They either blew the call or the rule is different FIIK?

I'll have to look up the rule tomorrow to clarify one way or the other .... its 3am now.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #6
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 119538 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, I have little sympathy providing Cutler is ok. Four names, two people. Albert Haynesworth, Jared Allen.
Old 11-12-2012   #7
BlueSteel
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 BlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Honestly, I have little sympathy providing Cutler is ok. Four names, two people. Albert Haynesworth, Jared Allen.
I still think that random Charger's player that exploded Schaub's jaw after he threw an interception was probably the worst it I have seen Schaub take so far. If my memory serves me, I think that was the season Diva Rob went down too which made it all the more annoying.

Watching Haynesworth fall on Schaub over and over and over did get annoying though.
Old 11-12-2012   #8
BlueSteel
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I know Fiddler disputed that in a thread in the Texans section saying that only applies to a defenseless player or a QB (in the pocket) but the way it was called was contact to the head - nothing said about defenseless player or "QB."
Blah, I searched for discussions and couldn't find any in either section.
Old 11-12-2012   #9
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel View Post
Blah, I searched for discussions and couldn't find any in either section.
Couldnt sleep ....

Starts here and continues for the next few posts between he and I.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I think the words you are looking for is "launch himself into" which is why they got Dunta on that DeSean Jackson hit. Which is true, he didn't launch himself into Cutler. He didn't use the crown of his helmet as a weapon, & he didn't hit him as he tried to slide.

On the radio they said Kubiak was extremely upset, I'm sure he's going to ask "the league" about it today. That should have been a loss of down & a penalty in our favor..... didn't end up hurting us any though.

I was just glad they wiped out that big play by Hester.
Old 11-12-2012   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

If you watch the hit in slo-mo, he really lit up Cutler. His helmet catches Cutler's pretty good and you see Cutler's head get turned. It's like catching someone good on the side of the jaw - lights out. As for the question about him being a runner, all you really need to know is Cutler is a QB. The NFL makes up its own rules when it comes to QBs and everyone knows you can't hit a QB like that and get away with it. Dobbins was penalized and will get fined. If it were Schaub, there would be a similar percentage of Houston fans crying foul. It's just the way of the world.
Old 11-12-2012   #12
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Dobbins hit cutler standing straight up and down and his helmet when he hit Cutler was off to the side. The sudden stop, whip lash, and the ground caused Cutlers head injury. Cutler was a runner and was treated as such.

Clean hit.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #13
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Come on. It was purely an illegal hit. Cutler is a dbag but it was illegal. He was still a QB...and I think also still behind the line..looking to throw. He hit him right in the head while running at him to tackle him. Under NFL rules now its easily an illegal hit.

Watch it again...it wasn't some incidental contact. I wouldn't call launching but he smacked him and left his feet.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...on-illegal-hit
Old 11-12-2012   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know about intent to injure but that was helmet to helmet. Not quite dirty but definitely illegal. He better have his checkbook ready today. Hopefully the league won't tack a suspension on too.

EDIT: Watching the replay a few more times here, I gotta say, it looks worse every time. That was pretty dirty. He's definitely taking a shot at Cutler. The guilty hands afterward don't help. Also, you don't have to aim hip high to not take a shot at his extremely upper torso. There's a whole middle section in there that would've been a clean hit and still probably knocked Cutler's pansy ass out.

That's two down. Locker and Cutler. Who's next? My bet is Stafford.

Last edited by TimeKiller; 11-12-2012 at 05:08 PM.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #15
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89797 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i have no problem with the hit. dobbins didnt lower his head to use the helmet as a weapon, didnt launch, and didnt drive cutler to the ground. if a quarterback breaks the pocket and starts running, he's a runner and should be hit accordingly. past the line of scrimmage, he literally is a runner, and dobbins should've blown him up instead of putting a good smack and then stopping.

a little high, i understand the flag, but i disagree with it - both as a technicality (past the line of scrimmage) and fundamentally (good eyes up hit).
Old 11-12-2012   #16
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 30145 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

They either blew the call or the rule is different FIIK?
Incorrect. When calling the penalty the ref clearly said "...hit to the QUARTERBACK ..."

So the officials blew the call. You can't call forward pass beyond the line of scrimmage AND hit to the QB because he was a RB. If Matt Forte is beyond the line of scrimmage and throws a pass does he get the same call? If not, bad call. If yes, then the ref should not have said "QB".
Old 11-12-2012   #17
gwallaia

Rep Power: 66021 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the hit was intentional but it was illegal. IMO, the ref made the right call.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #18
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Cry me a river.

Cutler had 3 rushes for 37 yards including a 19 yarder. He should have slid if he didn't want to get hit.

The fact that he threw the ball beyond the LOS is irrelevant.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #19
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53441 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

What Stan said.

Lots of Qbs went out with concussions this week. Hurts the new league concussion free image. Expect over reaction fines/suspensions all around.
Old 11-12-2012   #20
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

When I saw the play real time, I thought the hit was hard, but legal. On the replay, in slow mo, I thought it was slightly late and to the head. But in either, I don't feel Dobbins launched himself nor did I get the sense that he was playing dirty, but it was a helmet to helmet hit and that flag wasn't getting picked up. It happens. If I'm a bears fan, I would consider it a cheap shot. That was a hard hitting game. Those players were playing loose. I can't imagine how difficult it is to pull off, which upon replay again, it almost appears like Dobbins was applying a hit and trying to pull off at the moment the hit was applied. Hard to stop a moving train. I'm sure the people who have issue with Jay getting plowed were applauding him when Chris C was talking about him being a "Bears QB" because he's diving head first, etc...

You get a QB who's doing that, someone will put a hat on him.

To the Letter, I feel you can't flag Dobbins for hitting above the QB's shoulders, as they stated, if you also confirm the QB was beyond the LOS. Especially with Cutler showing his willingness to play "tough".

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read