Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-10-2012   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Another starting CB cut...

Quote:
The Raiders are apparently making room for the return of cornerback Ron Bartell, as they’re releasing starting corner Pat Lee, according to Vic Tafur of the San Francisco Chronicle.

Lee has started the last seven games for the Raiders, and other than missing a tackle on a Doug Martin touchdown run (and he had plenty of company in that regard), hadn’t played poorly.
Earlier this year the Chiefs cut starting CB Stanford Routt. Routt cleared waivers and has yet to sign with another team.

While Routt's pass coverage ratings put him in the bottom quartile this year, Pat Lee's coverage ratings in 7 games are closer to the top quartile in ProFootballFocus' signature stats. Lee was pressed into a starting role after Bartell's injury.

I don't recall seeing teams cut starting CBs mid-season? I wonder if we'll see more starter level cuts moving forward?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012   #2
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Another starting CB cut...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Earlier this year the Chiefs cut starting CB Stanford Routt. Routt cleared waivers and has yet to sign with another team.

While Routt's pass coverage ratings put him in the bottom quartile this year, Pat Lee's coverage ratings in 7 games are closer to the top quartile in ProFootballFocus' signature stats. Lee was pressed into a starting role after Bartell's injury.

I don't recall seeing teams cut starting CBs mid-season? I wonder if we'll see more starter level cuts moving forward?
Because everyone in the NFL wants to be like the Chiefs and the Raiders?
Old 11-11-2012   #3
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Is this to do with the cap or what? If they're good enough to start when your starter is out then they are good enough to backup when the starter comes back, you cut the guy behind don't you?

Routt is someone who I'd like to see Vance Joseph try and work his magic on, but our depth at CB will mean it won't happen.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Is this to do with the cap or what? If they're good enough to start when your starter is out then they are good enough to backup when the starter comes back, you cut the guy behind don't you?

Routt is someone who I'd like to see Vance Joseph try and work his magic on, but our depth at CB will mean it won't happen.
Homeboy (he went to UH) had pocketed over $10M this season. He's due for less than $2M for the remainder of the year. I think it's guaranteed even if he doesn't play another down (not sure about that though). He's probably looking for a 3-4 yr deal that will pay him at least $5M per. I don't think he's in our price range. Problem is I think he's more of a cover two corner. Unless he wants a SB ring at home as a short-term hire, I doubt he fits into the Texans' plan.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #5
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Homeboy (he went to UH) had pocketed over $10M this season. He's due for less than $2M for the remainder of the year. I think it's guaranteed even if he doesn't play another down (not sure about that though). He's probably looking for a 3-4 yr deal that will pay him at least $5M per. I don't think he's in our price range. Problem is I think he's more of a cover two corner. Unless he wants a SB ring at home as a short-term hire, I doubt he fits into the Texans' plan.
I won't guess on the dollars, but I'm thinking he signs a one year deal (or more accurately, a remainder of the current season deal) and looks for something longer term as a UFA this off-season. I think there are several places he could end up - with the Texans isn't one of them.
Old 11-11-2012   #6
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Both look like example type cuts to me. Lee was making less than a million, so it wasn't a cap casualty. Perhaps I'm off base, but I just don't recall something like this happening in the last few years and thought it odd. Average CBs have been a hot commodity in the past.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #7
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Both look like example type cuts to me. Lee was making less than a million, so it wasn't a cap casualty. Perhaps I'm off base, but I just don't recall something like this happening in the last few years and thought it odd. Average CBs have been a hot commodity in the past.
Last thing similar that I can recall is when Oakland cut DeAngelo Hall 8 games (all of which he started) into the 2008 season.
Old 11-11-2012   #8
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 48009 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

"Starting" Cornerback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #9
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just to clarify I was saying that I don't see the Texans doing it, or needing to do it, just that I think he could be good with the right coaching.

I remember the year we signed Joseph, we paid him good money but the figures for the mid-level talent at the position made it look like a really good deal. And that was before he played a down and we realised we'd got a much better player than the one who'd left the bungles.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #10
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i like the bengals secondary they got a good one IMO minus P jones
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read