Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-06-2012   #101
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Texans Draft Needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
i think we resign cody. he wont demand much money we will be able to resign him but i agree that NT is still a massive need. you get another playmaker on that line and it becomes a force for the next 10 years! THINK ABOUT THAT !!!

i dont think WR is a need this season, to call posey a mistake this early i think is a little rash i would give one more year. unless one of the top WR's fall.
Im all for bringing in another TE over a WR. THe 2nd TE is a lot more important in our Offence the the 2nd WR.

everything else im with you
Cody is the glue that holds the run defense together. IMHO I shudder at the thought of Mitchell having to play NT on a regular basis. This is why I'm hoping That Rick will be able to re-sign Cody. Even if Cody re-signs NT should be high on the needs list.

If Williams or Nix is there at 32, I probably would take them. You can never have enough depth on the DL.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #102
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Cody is the glue that holds the run defense together. IMHO I shudder at the thought of Mitchell having to play NT on a regular basis. This is why I'm hoping That Rick will be able to re-sign Cody. Even if Cody re-signs NT should be high on the needs list.

If Williams or Nix is there at 32, I probably would take them. You can never have enough depth on the DL.
Which Williams are you in favor of taking at #32, Sylvester Williams or Jesse Williams?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #103
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

Depth is 3rd round territory. If lucky, you not only hit need but find a perfect fit. Mike Martin was that prospect in last years draft. Selected middle of 3rd rd. by the Tennessee Titans #82nd overall. Texans passed in favor of Posey #68 & Brooks #76. What have you (they) done lately? nothing. Meanwhile my next to favorite Martin (65) has 27 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 QB pressures & 4 tackles for loss.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #104
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Which Williams are you in favor of taking at #32, Sylvester Williams or Jesse Williams?
Jesse,

Speaking of Williams' Brennan Williams RT North Carolina tore his labrum. If he recovers fully he should be available in the 3rd/4th rd.

Brennan Williams reminds me of a better version of Winston. Did you get a chance to see him play? His dad is a former NFL player, so he has talent and bloodlines.

Another guy to take a look at as a late rd pick Kyle Long. Howie boy, he hasn't played much football, but he is very athletically gifted. Kyle signed as a pitcher (MLB) straight out of high school.
Old 11-07-2012   #105
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Depth is 3rd round territory. If lucky, you not only hit need but find a perfect fit. Mike Martin was that prospect in last years draft. Selected middle of 3rd rd. by the Tennessee Titans #82nd overall. Texans passed in favor of Posey #68 & Brooks #76. What have you (they) done lately? nothing. Meanwhile my next to favorite Martin (65) has 27 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 QB pressures & 4 tackles for loss.
BL, that just makes me sick! I wanted the Texans to pick Martin so bad. I just knew he was going to be good and I thought he'd be perfect in Wade's system. I guess they didn't feel the same. Now, with Cody's latest injury, I hope they take an early round pick on a NT. NT has been a thin spot for awhile now IMO.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012   #106
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
BL, that just makes me sick! I wanted the Texans to pick Martin so bad. I just knew he was going to be good and I thought he'd be perfect in Wade's system. I guess they didn't feel the same. Now, with Cody's latest injury, I hope they take an early round pick on a NT. NT has been a thin spot for awhile now IMO.
rare miss I'm hoping

your right about NT need. our best run defender now is Watt & Barwin. First Cushing now Cody out, a bump either depth wise (Terrell McClain) or starting caliber/compete for starter minutes (Jesse Williams, Alabama or if Louis Nix or Sheldon Richardson make themselves available).

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-09-2012   #107
Quick II Draw
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Quick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans "need" Jesse Williams, but will probably ignore him due to excessive neck tats, even though he is well spoken and maintained a respectable (3.5 JUCO) GPA.
Old 11-09-2012   #108
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick II Draw View Post
The Texans "need" Jesse Williams, but will probably ignore him due to excessive neck tats, even though he is well spoken and maintained a respectable (3.5 JUCO) GPA.
Texans have history with several players with tats. Not sure of your point?
Old 11-10-2012   #109
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Texans have history with several players with tats. Not sure of your point?
He is just jokingly making the point how out of character he would be. Honestly I think we can all agree the times they are a changing.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-10-2012   #110
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
He is just jokingly making the point how out of character he would be. Honestly I think we can all agree the times they are a changing.
Sorry, still don't get it as Texans have history of players with sleeves and all sorts of tats. Why would Jesse Williams be any different or out of character? No biggy just seemed incongruous.
Old 11-12-2012   #111
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually I think we will just take the bpa. Right now we don't have any glaring holes. But we could use help almost everywhere. So bpa other than the following positions:

C, FB, DE (unless we lose Smith), OLB, and I'm almost inclined to include CB here as well with KJ and JoJo... I'm sure we could replace McCain. Oh and of course no P or kicker...

So just give me the best WR, OL, QB (yes, I'd be willing to invest in the future right now), TE, HB ( not very early but we might have to replace Tate), NT, ILB, S on the board and I'll be happy.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #112
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

1 NT and yes, a BIG brick in the wall wouldn't be the worst thing in the world (the worst thing in the world is watching current Texan NTs get consistently blown straight off the line). Just somebody that can hold the point would be great. Making plays, stopping the run, pass rush would all be gravy lol...mmmmmm gravy....

2 WR. Andre still has it but for how long? And Walter is no spring chicken. There is no clear cut heir and this pick really churns up the depth.

3 P. Yup. I doubt the Texans go 3rd round for one but I think the need for one is...pretty obvious.

4 RG/RT. Hard to knock a line that has Schaub and Foster producing behind it but I think they could take another stab at RT, even with a few young bucks on the rise and a stellar, veteran left side.

5 CB should probably be higher but really drafting for depth. Hopefully turns out better than Brandon "Inactive" Harris.

6 RB. This team relies on the ground game, Foster is carrying a ton this year and Tate has officially spent half his career injured.

7 S. Need special teams help.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #113
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
1 NT and yes, a BIG brick in the wall wouldn't be the worst thing in the world (the worst thing in the world is watching current Texan NTs get consistently blown straight off the line). Just somebody that can hold the point would be great. Making plays, stopping the run, pass rush would all be gravy lol...mmmmmm gravy....

2 WR. Andre still has it but for how long? And Walter is no spring chicken. There is no clear cut heir and this pick really churns up the depth.

3 P. Yup. I doubt the Texans go 3rd round for one but I think the need for one is...pretty obvious.

4 RG/RT. Hard to knock a line that has Schaub and Foster producing behind it but I think they could take another stab at RT, even with a few young bucks on the rise and a stellar, veteran left side.

5 CB should probably be higher but really drafting for depth. Hopefully turns out better than Brandon "Inactive" Harris.

6 RB. This team relies on the ground game, Foster is carrying a ton this year and Tate has officially spent half his career injured.

7 S. Need special teams help.
Yes to all the above. I'm totally revamping the way I look @ NFL draft prospects for Texans. Focus more on rough diamonds @ positions where depth is a concern, fill those holes w/high ceiling (affordable starting material) high character players. It's going to be tough on Rick Smith to keep this corp group together, Mercilus could replace Barwin, Harris could replace McCain & Texans not skip a beat. Maybe they resign Cody on the cheap since he is older & often nicked but spending a high pick @ his position is a strong probability. No way Texans sign Tate long term, so using him next draft to trade up in 2nd or 3rd is another viable option. Do Texans have to get a high end TE early, no, but he sure would help this possession style offense. Cushing will return next year so ILB will not be as big of need but long term he does need a running mate, more high quality inside linebacker depth at minimum. Martin looks better & better returning kicks, would like to see Texans keep some continuity with returner, focus more on setting up blocks down field. QB would be luxury pick, maybe use one of those supplemental picks? Interior line is the only must need in my view or if one of the elite RT prospects like Wagner is still available. Texans simply have to add more talent to protect Schaub because he lacks mobility & Foster needs cleaner holes to stay healthy & productive.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-12-2012   #114
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

I'm going to be doing a mock draft soon.

The Texans need to fix the offense in the worst way. A NT is a lesser need at this point but if value is there they should take one in the 1st rd and not reach.

Needs as I see them
1.WR
2.RT
3.NT
4.OG hopefully Brooks becomes a player in his 2nd yr. Depth will still be needed.
5. RB Tate will probably be gone. I like Grimes
Old 11-12-2012   #115
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

right tackle is climbing up my boards. newton's not showing me any progress - if anything he looks more lost each week.

right tackle, inside linebacker, and wide receiver are my top offseason priorities. i'm still not seeing the need to go nose tackle early, that seems like a luxury more than a need.
Old 11-12-2012   #116
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
right tackle is climbing up my boards. newton's not showing me any progress - if anything he looks more lost each week.

right tackle, inside linebacker, and wide receiver are my top offseason priorities. i'm still not seeing the need to go nose tackle early, that seems like a luxury more than a need.
I think Texans have allowed only 12 sacks with one against Bears in horrible field and weather conditions. Newton did not give up that sack. He is still making some mistakes but so are the others. Newton is going to be ok.
Old 11-12-2012   #117
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14067 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

If there was ever a draft I'd advocate moving up to the middle of the first (or earlier) or the beginning of the second to get multiple big time prospects, it's this one. It seems like our team only need a few more pieces here and there
Old 11-12-2012   #118
beerlover
Site Contributor

Texans will have to address long term contracts for both JJ Watt & Brian Cushing. Then guys like Barwin, Jackson & Quin are due. Texan brass on Kirby may look genius now but their work is never done & wil have to not only make the right choices, tough choices as well plus some Luck.

Good time this off-season to resign Cushing & Barwin. After that they will need to add several complimentary players on the cheap via draft/FA.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-12-2012   #119
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Having drafted two WRs in the last draft... I don't think we're going to be drafting a 1-2 round WR. We need one, but we won't be. I don't think that's Rick Smith's m.o. and they're probably going to give Posey this free year and next year to prove himself before looking WR again, simply because they don't want to brush off such a recent draft pick as a bust so quickly.
htownfan32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #120
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Having drafted two WRs in the last draft... I don't think we're going to be drafting a 1-2 round WR. We need one, but we won't be. I don't think that's Rick Smith's m.o. and they're probably going to give Posey this free year and next year to prove himself before looking WR again, simply because they don't want to brush off such a recent draft pick as a bust so quickly.
No need to "brush off" Posey next year, just cut Jean or let Walter go and there's your WR spot.

We could also stand to let go of one o-lineman or RB from the 53 man roster and add another WR.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read