Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-01-2012   #41
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Daryl Sharpton???

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Getting closer?
Maybe.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #42
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

From Twitter:
Quote:
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield

#Texans have cleared ILB Darryl Sharpton to return to practice. He's still on PUP- doesn't count against active roster
Quote:
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield

The #Texans have 3 weeks to move Sharpton to the active roster. Earliest he can return is this Sunday. Latest is Week 13
Old 11-06-2012   #43
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: Daryl Sharpton???

I was listening to the Kubiak show this past monday after the bills game and Kubiak seems to think he is ready. Maybe he can see the field this week....
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #44
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
I was listening to the Kubiak show this past monday after the bills game and Kubiak seems to think he is ready. Maybe he can see the field this week....
Yep. As in "tomorrow" this week.

LINK

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #45
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
He should get a great view of the field this Sunday.........from the sideline.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #46
Joeycharp89
Veteran

Rep Power: 651 Joeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's great to see him off the PUP list, but I'd be scared if I saw him on the field against the Bears.
Joeycharp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012   #47
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans’ Sharpton returns after a yearlong absence

Published on November 7th, 2012
Written by: Dale Robertson

If you remember my posts re. the hip probably being a "compensation" injury secondary to unrealistically working the quad too heavily and too early trying to get back to football too soon.

Quote:
And the day training camp opened, coach Gary Kubiak suggested Sharpton was close to returning.

He wasn’t. Instead, he wound up on the physically-unable-to-perform list, ensuring he’d miss the first half of the season.

Slow and steady

“I went into training camp thinking I was going to hit the ground running,” Sharpton said. “But I guess I overcompensated on my other (left) leg and hurt my hip. But I stayed positive. I just continued to rehab, keep my faith in God’s plan for me, and now I’m here. It felt good to get back on the field and play with my friends again, just running around out there and getting the adrenaline flowing.

“I eased into it but got more and more confident as practice went on. It’s hard to simulate playing football, the physical part, the stamina part. I’m sure I’ll catch on, get the muscle memory back. I’ve been working out hard, lifting weights, stretching, doing everything I needed to do in preparation.”
Old 11-08-2012   #48
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

Texans’ Sharpton returns after a yearlong absence

Published on November 7th, 2012
Written by: Dale Robertson

If you remember my posts re. the hip probably being a "compensation" injury secondary to unrealistically working the quad too heavily and too early trying to get back to football too soon.
Doc,
Based on the info we know(I know the Texans tend to not disclose a lot) what is the prognosis for Sharper moving forward? Is there a likelier chance for reinjury or to injure something else due to compensation(as he did in TC)? While he is "in shape" he is clearly not in game shape. About how long do you think it will take to get him back into "game shape"?

Thank you sir!

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012   #49
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Doc,
Based on the info we know(I know the Texans tend to not disclose a lot) what is the prognosis for Sharper moving forward? Is there a likelier chance for reinjury or to injure something else due to compensation(as he did in TC)? While he is "in shape" he is clearly not in game shape. About how long do you think it will take to get him back into "game shape"?

Thank you sir!
Wow took me back for a minute there...not good...much happier now.
Old 11-08-2012   #50
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Doc,

Thank you sir!
The only thing that can really be said at this time is that it must be considered that he is coming back from both a quad and a hip problem.......neither has yet been game-tested. His last set back was suffered during rehab. Rehab must be performed step wise with step-wise goals met completely before going onto the next. This can and should be a carefully controlled schedule. The next level is practice. And this is considered a significant milestone. As we all know, "stuff" happens in practice......but despite this, during practice, there is still the ability for the coaches to control the exposure. During this phase, the extent of contact can be controlled or eliminated according to progress.......and this is the phase where the player begins to learn his true limitations and how much of his strength, responses and coordination has returned, and how much needs to be regained before placed into real game situation. If this triad of goals has not been attained, expect him to be both ineffective and high risk for re-injury........especially for a player that has already had a long history of not being able to remain intact on the field for very long. If the Texans are smart they will try to maximize his practice period (at least 2 and more hopefully the full three weeks) before activating him and possibly putting him into a real game situation...........where he or they will have virtually no control over "opposing forces."

I hope this gives you an idea of my line of thinking as concerns Sharpton.
Old 06-07-2013   #51
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Finally healthy, Sharpton plans to stay that way for Texans

Quote:
Finally healthy after nearly a full year of battling injuries, Sharpton is looking forward to a regular offseason and preseason, not one consumed by recovery. Sharpton now becomes one of the stable pieces in the team's linebacking corps. And he intends to stay that way.

"I don't know if people really give him credit for it - to me he is an aggressive, electrifying type of player," Texans defensive end Antonio Smith said. "Every time he gets in his groove, he's had an injury. So I'm just hoping and I'm going to keep praying for him that he stays healthy, because he can really help this team."
Quote:
"I'm just looking forward to hitting somebody," Sharpton said. "That's my favorite part of the game, that element of it. … I'm looking forward to a huge season, and our number one goal this year is obviously to win the Super Bowl. That's like the big-picture thing."
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013   #52
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm kind of excited about Sharpton...

But I'm a bit confused as to how our LB corps are right now...

Kubiak said that Braman is starting, but I thought I read something the other day that said Sharpton was starting inside and Reed was starting outside.

If Reed goes back outside, I don't think that's a good look for him.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013   #53
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm kind of excited about Sharpton...

But I'm a bit confused as to how our LB corps are right now...

Kubiak said that Braman is starting, but I thought I read something the other day that said Sharpton was starting inside and Reed was starting outside.

If Reed goes back outside, I don't think that's a good look for him.
Cushing is still out, so Sharpton & Braman start with Reed & Mercilus on the outside. Reed has been given reps at ILB in case of injury to give the team flexibility. Wade might use that to put a wrinkle in it at some point.
Old 06-07-2013   #54
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Cushing is still out, so Sharpton & Braman start with Reed & Mercilus on the outside. Reed has been given reps at ILB in case of injury to give the team flexibility. Wade might use that to put a wrinkle in it at some point.
I thought it was Sharpton & Reed inside, Braman & Mercilus on the outside.
Old 06-07-2013   #55
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I thought it was Sharpton & Reed inside, Braman & Mercilus on the outside.
You're right, Reed is in Cushing's spot for now. He'll be outside when Cush returns.
Old 06-07-2013   #56
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
You're right, Reed is in Cushing's spot for now. He'll be outside when Cush returns.
I don't know. I doubt they've made up their mind.

They still have the option of moving Cushing back to Mike, leaving Reed at Mo & starting Braman at OLB.

I'm sure it's going to depend on who they feel earns a starting spot. Sharpton, Braman, or Montgomery.
Old 06-07-2013   #57
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't know. I doubt they've made up their mind.

They still have the option of moving Cushing back to Mike, leaving Reed at Mo & starting Braman at OLB.

I'm sure it's going to depend on who they feel earns a starting spot. Sharpton, Braman, or Montgomery.
We've heard from Kubiak but what does Wade say? Haven't heard many words from our defensive Buddha on what the plan might be. Anyone got some WadeWords on our possible defensive alignment/rotation?
...anybody...??
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013   #58
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sharpton is a hard-hitting animal out there, and I respect that, but he needs to get some self-awareness regarding his health. If he's not causing an injury, he's acquiring one.

I know one thing, him and Dobbins get my vote for goal-line stands.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013   #59
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

We've had a couple (or more) of disappointments re the availability of certain players because of injuries, but the situation with Sharpton be ready, willing, and able to play sooner than most everyone expected is clearly a pleasant surprise.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #60
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This guy is capable of being a solid starter and the fact that the Texans haven't dumped him due to his injury history tells me that they think the same thing.

I really do believe that Cushing and Sharpton in the middle can be a great partnership. If Reed has flexibility across the LB positions then we can throw some interesting looks that were sorely missing in the latter stages of last season.

Our LBs were getting pulled into all sorts of hideous positions pre-snap because we didn't have the versatility to disguise anything.

With Reed in the rotation, you can send either him or Cush off the edge now and again, have them both stay in the box or whatever, its a nice situation.

Only thing is, does Sharpton stay healthy this time? With him in good shape I'm confident in our LB corps, OK the OLBs aren't the best but with Watt and Ninja at DE we can cover for that, hopefully experience will improve that young group as well.

This is cautious optimism on my part, but after Cush went down, a relatively unfit (game-shape) Sharpton looked the best of what we had to me. Need this guy to get a full season under his belt, followed by a full and healthy off-season next year and I think we could be set moving forward. You don't need all-pro's at every position.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read