Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-07-2012   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ProFootballFocus, ReFocused -- Buffalo@Houston

ReFo: Bills @ Texans, Week 9
Quote:
Houston – Three Performances of Note

Routine Performance

If Sunday’s game is any indication, J.J. Watt (+4.7) won’t be slowing down in the second half of the season. As usual, Watt was exceptional rushing the passer, producing a sack and an unheard of five QB hits – consider that only seven 3-4 ends recorded more hits than that in the entire 2011 season. And with four stops, his effort against the run may have been even better. Few players in the league, let alone a 3-4 end, are capable of controlling a game the way Watt has been able. This was on the display early in the fourth quarter; when the Bills needed a score to stay in the game following a Texans touchdown. Watt beat his man and got into the backfield on three consecutive plays, hitting Fitzpatrick twice, as the Houston defense forced a key three-and-out.

Lockdown Coverage

After a few rough games, Johnathan Joseph (+1.7) bounced back nicely versus the Bills. Though he was targeted nine times, he allowed just five catches and registered a pass defense. What was most impressive was the way he limited yardage even when he allowed the ball to be completed into his coverage. Receivers averaged 5.3 yards per catch and gained just five yards after the catch against Joseph, with a long gain of only 15. Much of his success came while covering Steve Johnson, who was limited to two receptions on six passes against Joseph.

Success in the Air

While the running game was solid as usual, the Texans did much of their damage through the air. It’s easy to do when they get the kind of performance they did from Matt Schaub (+2.9), who was solid, if unspectacular, completing more than 70 percent of his passes for 268 yards and two touchdowns. Of those yards, 118 went to Andre Johnson (+3.6), as he took advantage of the Buffalo secondary for eight catches with his best game since Week 1. Many of these catches came to the right of the numbers, an area of the field where Schaub completed 10 of 11 passes, while throwing just three to the left side.

The Texans were deadly on play-action passes as usual with Schaub completing five of five for 103 yards. The best of these came with 44 seconds remaining in the first quarter, when the play-fake allowed Owen Daniels to get behind the Buffalo defense for a 39-yard touchdown. On the season, only Alex Smith has a higher QB rating on play-action passes than Schaub.

Game Notes

- Arian Foster gained 111 yards on the ground, despite not breaking any tackles, with only 26 of his rushing yards coming after initial contact.
- The Buffalo defense blitzed only three times in 29 passing plays. On these plays Schaub was 2 of 2 passing for 48 yards and was sacked once.

Game Ball

Where the Texans are concerned, this might as well be the ‘J.J. Watt Game Ball’. After yet another dominating performance, Watt gets the honor for the sixth time in eight games.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #2
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ProFootballFocus, ReFocused -- Buffalo@Houston

Arian Foster gained 111 yards on the ground, despite not breaking any tackles, with only 26 of his rushing yards coming after initial contact

I have been noticing Foster seems to go down (or concede the tackle) automatically this years compared to years past running style. Never really see him pumping his knees or making a second effort. Plus he runs out of bounds ever chance he gets. I know he is caring a huge work load possibly 400 carries this year. Do you think with the new contract he has began to think of his longevity.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
...Do you think with the new contract he has began to think of his longevity.
My opinion is Arian focuses on slipping "big" hits to protect his body so he can live to play next week & into the playoffs. I think it's a skill that maximizes his usefulness to the team.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #4
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Arian Foster gained 111 yards on the ground, despite not breaking any tackles, with only 26 of his rushing yards coming after initial contact

I have been noticing Foster seems to go down (or concede the tackle) automatically this years compared to years past running style. Never really see him pumping his knees or making a second effort. Plus he runs out of bounds ever chance he gets. I know he is caring a huge work load possibly 400 carries this year. Do you think with the new contract he has began to think of his longevity.
I think it might have to do with fumbles. Here are his rushing stats over the years:

2010: 16 games, 327 carries, 1616 yards, 4.9 ypc, 16 TDs, 89 First downs, 3 fumbles, 2 fumbles lost
2011: 13 games, 278 carries, 1,224 yards, 4.4 ypc, 10 TDs, 58 First Downs, 4 Fumbles, 2 Fumbles Lost (he had 1 fumble lost on a reception too)
2012: 8 games, 192 carries, 770 yards, 4.0 ypc, 10 TDs, 42 First Downs, 0 Fumbles

The Texans have been exceptional this year with regard to turnovers, +6 so far this year. Foster had a history of fumbling the ball in college at Tennessee, and he did have a few over the past few years, but this change in style or strategy (however you want to look at it) appears to benefit the team more than those few extra yards he may get. Call me crazy if you wish, but I think this is part of Kubiak's strategy to maintain ball control throughout the game, and keep Arian's confidence up.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/...7/arian-foster
Old 11-07-2012   #5
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I think it might have to do with fumbles. Here are his rushing stats over the years:

2010: 16 games, 327 carries, 1616 yards, 4.9 ypc, 16 TDs, 89 First downs, 3 fumbles, 2 fumbles lost
2011: 13 games, 278 carries, 1,224 yards, 4.4 ypc, 10 TDs, 58 First Downs, 4 Fumbles, 2 Fumbles Lost (he had 1 fumble lost on a reception too)
2012: 8 games, 192 carries, 770 yards, 4.0 ypc, 10 TDs, 42 First Downs, 0 Fumbles

The Texans have been exceptional this year with regard to turnovers, +6 so far this year. Foster had a history of fumbling the ball in college at Tennessee, and he did have a few over the past few years, but this change in style or strategy (however you want to look at it) appears to benefit the team more than those few extra yards he may get. Call me crazy if you wish, but I think this is part of Kubiak's strategy to maintain ball control throughout the game, and keep Arian's confidence up.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I see what your saying and agree if it's a strategy it is working.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #6
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
My opinion is Arian focuses on slipping "big" hits to protect his body so he can live to play next week & into the playoffs. I think it's a skill that maximizes his usefulness to the team.
I concur. I never saw Barry Sanders take any crushing hits, and Marvin Harrison
was notorious for getting his yards and getting down/out of bounds. Arian
knows he's gonna be the bellcow, and he's smart to protect himself AND
help the team win.
Old 11-07-2012   #7
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He also had the flu last Sunday.
Old 11-07-2012   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 353149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I don't know if he is thinking about that specifically. I have posted this before and they are physically different RB's but watch how Emmitt slips and slides contact and then often runs through it. Link

Something I have talked to Vinny about on several occasions - watch, Emmitt almost constantly carried the ball in his left hand. His right hand was fighting off contact, balancing or coming in at the last second being a second hand on the ball. Foster will never be Barry Sanders. He just isn't that RB. He could learn some things from Emmitt although he won't be exactly him either.
Old 11-07-2012   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I know I'm probably jinxing it....... but you probably know what I'm thinking.

Don't want to say it, not till Monday anyway.
Old 11-09-2012   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think its more this than content over being paid.
Old 11-09-2012   #11
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Foster had the flu. I'm sure that contributed to his average performance.

I think the issue this year relates to the offensive line changes... I'm not blaming the offensive line, because it is clear that Foster has sometimes been late with his cutback or made a misread on a cut that ended up limit the play's potential. I think he is still getting on the same page with those guys on the right side... knowing what to expect from them and getting the timing down. Remember, our rushing offensive is all about timing and expectations. Foster is still learning how Jones and Newton read and react to each situation. I think it will continue to improve with repititions.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read