Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-06-2012   #21
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arian Foster running out of bounds

Back in the '70's, Franco Harris used to take a lot of heat from Steelers fans because he ran out of bounds at the end of plays. They had a lot of respect for Earl Campbell because he never ran out of bounds.

However, Franco added years to his career with that tactic, while poor Earl cannot even walk these days.

With Foster being the workhorse for this offense, I think it's smart to minimize getting hit whenever possible. We need that dude in the Super Bowl!!
Old 11-06-2012   #22
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i know what u mean at the end of the game when we were up by two scores he ran out of bounds a few plays when we could of milked the clock eveeennn more

but i dont know what his mind set was i think he acctually wanted to score another TD cause we were at the bill 30 yard line i think

plus i dont know i never played football but i think getting hit or tackled does not feel good so i guess some players dont want to get hit so they run out of bounds
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #23
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
You do understand that the game clock did not stop when Foster ran out of bounds at approx. the 6 minute mark don't you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yep. That was one of the rule changes to speed up the game.

Running out of bounds only stops the clock in the last 2 minutes of the 2nd and 4th quarters. So there's no reason for him to take a hit to try to keep the clock running.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
2 minutes of first half - 5 minutes of second half.
Actually, I didn't know about that little rule change either. Thanks for the info guys.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #24
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Back in the '70's, Franco Harris used to take a lot of heat from Steelers fans because he ran out of bounds at the end of plays. They had a lot of respect for Earl Campbell because he never ran out of bounds.

However, Franco added years to his career with that tactic, while poor Earl cannot even walk these days.

With Foster being the workhorse for this offense, I think it's smart to minimize getting hit whenever possible. We need that dude in the Super Bowl!!
He had a post-game interview this year, Monday night game vs. Jets IIRC, and Stuart Scott asked him about his life in the NFL.....

Arian said "I try to ask guys who played the game, every chance I get, to tell me their wisdom...what they wish they had done differently, what they did that helped them, anything I could get from them...any little nugget of wisdom they could share with me."

I would imagine that was a pretty significant portion of wisdom shared with him, maybe by Earl Campbell...maybe by other RBs...that hey, you want to play a long time? Take care of your body.

We only have to look at Chris Brown who got blasted when he played the Texans as a Titans RB. Sideline hit. Knocked him silly, was never the same again. For what? Trying to be tough, trying to get an extra yard on a normal carry (not a game winning carry or anything necessary, btw).

I know people think I'm hard on Foster for being vegan. I just think that sometimes you can get too cute with stuff, and for me the vegan issue is split--One half is great, your body is cleaner and more efficient, but the other half (and it's just my opinion) is that plant-based proteins cannot provide your muscles with the same fuel that animal-based proteins can. Plants don't have muscles. Animals and humans do. I know that's a base example, but oh well.

Still, that he uses a Segway to take stress off his feet, ankles, and knees is damn smart. That he wants to live clean on an animal-free diet is fine with me too. And that he wants to duck out of bounds after getting 15 or 20 yards in the middle of a blowout is definitely a smart decision.

He's playing this like a marathon, and it's the smart route to go.
Old 11-06-2012   #25
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Add my vote to the "glad he gets out of bounds to avoid some of the hits" crowd. He makes a lot of tough yards up the middle, and a lot ofthe time he runs out of bounds he's already secured a 1st down.

Good for you Arian.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #26
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs down Re: Arian Foster running out of bounds

Are you freakin kidding me?
Your going to question Foster's runs?

I know....you should go down to Gallery furniture on Tuesdays and tell Foster that to...I am sure he would listen to ....probaly laugh in your face......
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #27
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Emmitt smith gave a great interview talking about how a back needs to save those hits for when he can win the battle (a given run) and not take the punishment when he doesn't have too. Sometimes a yard or two isn't worth spraining a shoulder or taking a shot to the knees. You play to win the war, not just kill yourself winning a particular battle.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #28
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
We only have to look at Chris Brown who got blasted when he played the Texans as a Titans RB. Sideline hit. Knocked him silly, was never the same again. For what? Trying to be tough, trying to get an extra yard on a normal carry (not a game winning carry or anything necessary, btw).
Dude never threw a pass quite the same again after that hit.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #29
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not asking him to stay in and fight for more yards. I'm asking him to be aware of the game clock, fall down in bounds to keep the clock running. That's before I found out about the new rule.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #30
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28755 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

San Diego fans used to make this argument about LT. These guys take a beating on a weekly basis. I don't mind one bit if he gets the yards he can and gets out of bounds. Especially considering we didn't have Tate backing him up last week.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #31
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

So if we are in the two minute warning and he decides to run out of bounds when we have a small lead, you all are happy with that? I'm not asking for him to take on hits but simply fall down in bounds so that the clock can continue.
Old 11-07-2012   #32
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
So if we are in the two minute warning and he decides to run out of bounds when we have a small lead, you all are happy with that? I'm not asking for him to take on hits but simply fall down in bounds so that the clock can continue.
From what I recall, he's generally good at falling down in-bounds to keep the clock running. I think he's got a pretty good football IQ and he's sensitive to the context of the play.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #33
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
From what I recall, he's generally good at falling down in-bounds to keep the clock running. I think he's got a pretty good football IQ and he's sensitive to the context of the play.
NOw that I know about the new rule, I'm understanding that. So really my thread is a fail because I didn't know about the new rule.
Old 11-07-2012   #34
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
NOw that I know about the new rule, I'm understanding that. So really my thread is a fail because I didn't know about the new rule.
That plus the wear and tear. Do you really want foster to be a shell of himself in 4 years when he's still getting 9-10 million a year? We do need some longevity from him.
Old 11-07-2012   #35
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 65936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
That plus the wear and tear. Do you really want foster to be a shell of himself in 4 years when he's still getting 9-10 million a year? We do need some longevity from him.
Kind of interesting (To me anyway) - for all the gnashing of teeth regarding Foster's carries, if you look at his "touches" through 8 games, he's averaging 25.5 per game this season. In 2011 he averaged 25.46 touches per game. The differences being that more of his touches in 2011 came via pass reception, and in 2011 he only played in 13 games due to injury (2 games) or rest (1 game).
Old 11-07-2012   #36
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28755 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm sorry, but what new rule are you talking about?
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #37
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Dude never threw a pass quite the same again after that hit.
Digging your avatar pic, by the way.

Not many people know what it's for. I do.
Old 11-08-2012   #38
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Digging your avatar pic, by the way.

Not many people know what it's for. I do.
Cheers dude, yeh for those that don't its for remembrance Sunday, which falls on 11/11 this year. The poppy appeal raises funds for the British Legion which supports servicemen & women, veterans and their families in the UK. Yearly they do a poppy appeal in the run up to 11/11 & Remembrance Sunday.

The significance of the Poppy comes from Flanders Fields.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012   #39
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Cheers dude, yeh for those that don't its for remembrance Sunday, which falls on 11/11 this year. The poppy appeal raises funds for the British Legion which supports servicemen & women, veterans and their families in the UK. Yearly they do a poppy appeal in the run up to 11/11 & Remembrance Sunday.

The significance of the Poppy comes from Flanders Fields.
More for those interested in the meaning of the poppy:

Quote:
Against the odds, new life did also occasionally come into being in the battle zones. A story about the birth of new human life happened during the surprise gas attack on the French lines by the German Army on 22nd April 1915. At exactly 5 o'clock, as the gas cloud was released, a Belgian woman gave birth to a baby boy in the cellar of a cottage on the Zonnebeekseweg, just 3 kilometres from the poisonous gas cloud and the battle that was going on as a result of it.(2)

The spring of 1915 was the first time that warm weather began to warm up the countryside after the cold winter at war in 1914-1915. In the region around Ypres in Belgian Flanders the months of April and May 1915 were unusually warm. Farmers were ploughing their fields close up to the front lines and new life was starting to grow. One of the plants that began to grow in clusters on and around the battle zones was the red field or corn poppy (it's species name is: papaver rhoeas). It is often to be found in or on the edges of fields where grain is grown.

The field poppy is an annual plant which flowers each year between about May and August. It's seeds are disseminated on the wind and can lie dormant in the ground for a long time. If the ground is disturbed from the early spring the seeds will germinate and the poppy flowers will grow.

This is what happened in parts of the front lines in Belgium and France. Once the ground was disturbed by the fighting, the poppy seeds lying in the ground began to germinate and grow during the warm weather in the spring and summer months of 1915, 1916, 1917 and 1918. The field poppy was also blooming in parts of the Turkish battlefields on the Gallipoli penninsular when the ANZAC and British Forces arrived at the start of the campaign in April 1915.

“In Flanders Fields the Poppies Blow...”

The sight of these delicate, vibrant red flowers growing on the shattered ground caught the attention of a Canadian soldier by the name of John McCrae. He noticed how they had sprung up in the disturbed ground of the burials around the artillery position he was in. It was during the warm days of early May 1915 when he found himself with his artillery brigade near to the Ypres-Yser canal. He is believed to have composed a poem following the death of a friend at that time. The first lines of the poem have become some of the most famous lines written in relation to the First World War.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
LINK HERE.
Old 11-09-2012   #40
monkey34
noob

Rep Power: 0 monkey34 is a quality contributor and well respectedmonkey34 is a quality contributor and well respectedmonkey34 is a quality contributor and well respectedmonkey34 is a quality contributor and well respectedmonkey34 is a quality contributor and well respectedmonkey34 is a quality contributor and well respectedmonkey34 is a quality contributor and well respectedmonkey34 is a quality contributor and well respectedmonkey34 is a quality contributor and well respectedmonkey34 is a quality contributor and well respectedmonkey34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with everyone that says he should minimize the hits that he takes. I was going to use Emmitt Smith as an example too. He had a very long career for a workhorse running back because he rarely took a big hit. Many times he would step out to save the contact. I just wish backs like Campbell or Payton had done the same and extended their careers. How many backs do we see that seem great for a yr out two but you never hear of them again because they burnt out.

PS: My mother and I were just discussing the poppies and Remembrance Day during the Chelsea match. She remembered the poem and as she read it I realized I had recited it too. I didn't expect out to be discussed in a Texans forum though. Nice to see.
monkey34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read