Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-06-2012   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Arian Foster running out of bounds

Anyone else yelling in their house for him to stay in bounds on some of his runs?

This game vs. Buffalo could've been a bit bigger of a point margin. At one point in the 4th quarter around 6:00 and some change, Arian breaks about a 10-15 yard (or more) run. He gets the first down and some but instead of staying in bounds he walks out of bounds.

I'm not saying I want him to turn inside and lower his shoulder or anything but simply falling down in bounds, at that point, would've really helped our team get that game over with.

A good example would be how when we got the ball back on offense later at that time, and James Casey gets a pass and runs for a 1st down and simply falls in bounds to keep the clock rolling.

To me, these are small things that could be reminded to players because that's how you escape with road wins/playoff wins. + it takes the winds out of a defense's momentum.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arian Foster running out of bounds

With him on pace to get close to 400 carries this season, I can't completely blame him for running out of bounds when he can.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
With him on pace to get close to 400 carries this season, I can't completely blame him for running out of bounds when he can.
I agree but there are some times when he runs out of bounds and the game is pretty much in hand/puts more pressure on the defense if he stays in bounds.

I'm just saying, better game clock management from all parts or our team is a good thing. James Casey knew what was going on when he got his play.
Old 11-06-2012   #4
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I agree but there are some times when he runs out of bounds and the game is pretty much in hand/puts more pressure on the defense if he stays in bounds.

I'm just saying, better game clock management from all parts or our team is a good thing. James Casey knew what was going on when he got his play.
QFT

But based on Kubiak's playcalling toward the end, I get the sense the Texans weren't really worried about running out the clock?
Old 11-06-2012   #5
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anyone else yelling in their house for him to stay in bounds on some of his runs?

This game vs. Buffalo could've been a bit bigger of a point margin. At one point in the 4th quarter around 6:00 and some change, Arian breaks about a 10-15 yard (or more) run. He gets the first down and some but instead of staying in bounds he walks out of bounds.

I'm not saying I want him to turn inside and lower his shoulder or anything but simply falling down in bounds, at that point, would've really helped our team get that game over with.

A good example would be how when we got the ball back on offense later at that time, and James Casey gets a pass and runs for a 1st down and simply falls in bounds to keep the clock rolling.

To me, these are small things that could be reminded to players because that's how you escape with road wins/playoff wins. + it takes the winds out of a defense's momentum.
The clock only stops on out of bound plays in the last two minutes of the 1st half, and the last five minutes of the 2nd half. Running out of bounds with 6 minutes left in the game did nothing to extend the game.

Edit: Just checked the play by play, and no Texans RB ran the ball out of bounds in the last five minutes of Sunday's game.
Old 11-06-2012   #6
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I noticed it, I prefer players to play physical, but smart. I prefer he limit his wear and tear this year especially if you have the first down, and there is no chance of taking it to the house.
Old 11-06-2012   #7
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
The clock only stops on out of bound plays in the last two minutes of the 1st half, and the last five minutes of the 2nd half. Running out of bounds with 6 minutes left in the game did nothing to extend the game.

Edit: Just checked the play by play, and no Texans RB ran the ball out of bounds in the last five minutes of Sunday's game.

knowing the rules of the game is important
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2012   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
knowing the rules of the game is important
Yeah, exactly what I was thinking.

Also, for those that think I want Arian to lower the boom and not go out of bounds that is wrong. I simply want him to go down and stay in bounds after getting the 1st in that situation.
Old 11-06-2012   #9
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, exactly what I was thinking.

Also, for those that think I want Arian to lower the boom and not go out of bounds that is wrong. I simply want him to go down and stay in bounds after getting the 1st in that situation.
Yeah but the clock continues to run with six minutes remaining. There is no reason to go down in bounds and take a hit when the clock shouldn't factor into the equation.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Yeah but the clock continues to run with six minutes remaining. There is no reason to go down in bounds and take a hit when the clock shouldn't factor into the equation.
Based on that, we could've gotten into a 4 minute offense alot faster.
Old 11-06-2012   #11
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually think Foster does a pretty good job of tight roping the sideline and staying in bounds.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #12
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Based on that, we could've gotten into a 4 minute offense alot faster.
You do understand that the game clock did not stop when Foster ran out of bounds at approx. the 6 minute mark don't you?
Old 11-06-2012   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not going to fault him for occasionally running out of bounds. There are a lot of instances where he walks the tight-rope and there are lots of times he does fight for those extra yards.

I mean, just remember that run along the sideline against the Bengals in the playoffs. That was awesome beyond awesome-ness.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You do understand that the game clock did not stop when Foster ran out of bounds at approx. the 6 minute mark don't you?
I didn't notice that.
Old 11-06-2012   #15
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
I didn't notice that.
It's not a matter of noticing it - it's a matter of understanding the rules.
Old 11-06-2012   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I didn't notice that.
Yep. That was one of the rule changes to speed up the game.

Running out of bounds only stops the clock in the last 2 minutes of the 2nd and 4th quarters. So there's no reason for him to take a hit to try to keep the clock running.
Old 11-06-2012   #17
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Running out of bounds only stops the clock in the last 2 minutes of the 2nd and 4th quarters. So there's no reason for him to take a hit to try to keep the clock running.
2 minutes of first half - 5 minutes of second half.
Old 11-06-2012   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Well me. Thanks for updating me.
Old 11-06-2012   #19
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I noticed it, I prefer players to play physical, but smart. I prefer he limit his wear and tear this year especially if you have the first down, and there is no chance of taking it to the house.
He also rides a Segway during the week when he can according to Dan Fouts so he stays off his legs. Never thought of that before, but I imagine that does help also.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
2 minutes of first half - 5 minutes of second half.
Oh? I thought it was last two minutes for both halves.

I just re-checked the rules and you are correct, sir!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read