Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-22-2012   #121
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our first round pick Whitney Mercilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I was very satisfied by the OLB play today, top to bottom and I think at least some of their success stems from the fact that we actually saw a rotation today. Fresh legs doing damage. It's hard to talk up a player that isn't producing but I think the more focused fan can see that Barwin hasn't been completely absent despite the numbers. It's a helluva lot harder to flat out IGNORE production though and I gotta say, Mercilus has been producing at a higher clip than Barwin this season. I'm not trying to say switch them out....but I am trying to say keep the rotation alive. It's clearly enough to keep Barwin/Reed on their toes and Mercilus/Braman getting some snaps is only going to push them to do better.

Looked to me like the Ravens sold out on Watt and said somebody else beat us....and EVERYONE else did lol.
I agree with you, except I think Mercilus is being held back for IF we need him in an injury situation.

This past game was great for him, and us, because it shows what he can do in a real game versus a legitimate team's offense. However, it's good to put that in our back pocket and not risk him getting injured.

He could be playing a HUGE role down the line for us, and it might be in a saving grace sort of situation. But if he gets hurt this early, and we need him down the line, it'd suck pretty bad. That's my view.

It's like we're getting a sneak peek at an upcoming blockbuster movie that is just around the corner.
Old 10-23-2012   #122
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

You sound ridiculous trumpeting Braman for the pro bowl.

well well... look at what i saw when i clicked onto nfl.com this morning & saw the probowl ballot is up

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/ballot?mo...voting_probowl

and look who's the texans ST candidate (btw there only looks to be 11 candidates for the afc ST position). is braman assured of a place? no but to have a minimum 1/11 chance means its far from ridiculous also
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #123
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
well well... look at what i saw when i clicked onto nfl.com this morning & saw the probowl ballot is up

and look who's the texans ST candidate (btw there only looks to be 11 candidates for the afc ST position). is braman assured of a place? no but to have a minimum 1/11 chance means its far from ridiculous also
Yep, I voted already for Braman and other Texans!!!

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #124
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123792 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

HAHA! Brahman has been tearing it up on kickoffs. Dude is in on nearly every tackle.
Old 10-24-2012   #125
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33797 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Yep, I voted already for Braman and other Texans!!!

Go Texans!!!
I just voted for Braman as well. Already have up to 220 friends and family members voting for him also (some through social networking). He's very deserving for what he brings to the table on Special Teams. Mind you, the unit has been bad but he's been the one bright spot that makes me believe it will improve as the season goes along. Come playoff time, I expect this team to be clicking in every phase as they make that push 350 miles East to Super Bowl 47. It's going to be a little short drive for Houstonians going down to the Superdome.
Old 11-04-2012   #126
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Had a sack and forced fumble today
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012   #127
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Had a sack and forced fumble today
Seems like Merci is more and more comfortable and confident playing our D each week. By the end of regular season to beginning of the post season, we will see more of Merci in sack, FF, and TFL stats.

Go Texans!!!
Old 11-04-2012   #128
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Nothing wrong with grooming
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012   #129
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

This could very well mean that Barwin will be expendable after this season. Merci is looking better and better.
Old 11-04-2012   #130
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

As per ESPN:

Whitney Mercilus, 2012:
TACK SOLO AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD
9 8 1 2.0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

Mario Williams, 2012:
16 13 3 3.5 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012   #131
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
Nothing wrong with grooming
Not it all. In fact, I like how we play these rooks lately. We used to and had to throw these rooks into the fire a sort of speak. Now, we have enough talents not to do these things.

Go Texans!!!
Old 11-04-2012   #132
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3891 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
As per ESPN:

Whitney Mercilus, 2012:
9 8 1 2.0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

Mario Williams, 2012:
16 13 3 3.5 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
And Mercilus gets less than half the amount of time Mario gets.
Old 11-04-2012   #133
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Do those stats include today's game for MW? He had a sack and 5 tackles, had 3.5 sacks going into our game.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012   #134
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Do those stats include today's game for MW? He had a sack and 5 tackles, had 3.5 sacks going into our game.
Does it matter? Mario is more pooper that super. Seriously, this is a game that Pooper Mario said he was amped up for and the best he could do (against a 1st year starter) was 1 sack and 5 tackles. I guess that counts as a big game when you're Mario Williams. I'm just thankful he's drawing his paycheck from another team now.
Old 11-04-2012   #135
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Does it matter? Mario is more pooper that super. Seriously, this is a game that Pooper Mario said he was amped up for and the best he could do (against a 1st year starter) was 1 sack and 5 tackles. I guess that counts as a big game when you're Mario Williams. I'm just thankful he's drawing his paycheck from another team now.
No but I just wanted to have a fair comparison. I didn't want him back either FTR.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012   #136
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 87188 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
This could very well mean that Barwin will be expendable after this season. Merci is looking better and better.
It COULD or it could mean Barwin demands LESS money and we get to keep him while having one of the best rotations in the front 7
Old 11-04-2012   #137
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
It COULD or it could mean Barwin demands LESS money and we get to keep him while having one of the best rotations in the front 7
I'm good with that. I think Barwin would like to stay and be much more cap-friendly than a certain recently departed player. Barwin doesn't seem to have an over inflated opinion of himself.
Old 11-04-2012   #138
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak thinks mercilus could be huge for us in second half of the season and that he played more today(game is slowing down for him)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012   #139
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

this is all you need to know right here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l51Wd3Aosw

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012   #140
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Kubiak thinks mercilus could be huge for us in second half of the season and that he played more today(game is slowing down for him)
His football IQ is great. Almost all of his big plays are a result if beating his man AFTER he's made contact.

He navigates through traffic and ends up losing the blocker and finding the lane the QB is headed for. He was going to have that same sort of result vs. Flacco too, but Barwin got there first.

Deceptive game speed. High football IQ. Reads the QB as good as Watt.

I want him held back in case we really REALLY need him down the stretch.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read