Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-01-2012   #21
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Oiler Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
that was way too easy huh
I had a Mike Barber t-shirt as a kid.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012   #22
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110127 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Thanks for info Vinny. That's how we ending up getting Culp! He is one of my Fav player on D side along with Dr Doom.
Another interesting Matuszak tidbit I remember is the following found on wiki as I read this thread...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Matuszak

Quote:
Football career

Matuszak, drafted by the Houston Oilers of the NFL, was the first draft pick of 1973. In addition to his contract with the Oilers, he joined the Houston Texans of the World Football League, but played a total of seven plays before a restraining order that was served to him during a game that barred him from playing for two teams at the same time. Matuszak said he had no plans to play in that game but requested to play after seeing 25 or so men looking for him on the sidelines. He didn't know what was happening at the time and wanted to avoid confrontation. The Oilers, displeased that he tried joining the WFL, traded him to the Kansas City Chiefs, where he played until 1975. Then he found himself with the Raiders in 1976 after being released in pre-season by the Washington Redskins. He helped the Raiders win two Super Bowls (XI and XV) before retiring following spending the entire 1982 season on injured reserve.

His football career was often overshadowed by his even more famous (or infamous) partying and seemingly endless use of drugs. In his autobiography, he stated that he took many painkillers as well as other narcotics while playing professional football. Because of this, an article written for Sports Illustrated's website in January 2005 named him one of the top five all-time "bad boys" of the NFL.[1] Although his performances made him one of the best Raider defenders of all time, his volatile actions contributed to him not being popular with teammates (Matt Millen told reporters on several occasions how he disliked Matuszak and found him to be phony) and not being one of Al Davis's favorite post-retirement players, and after an ugly incident where Matuszak violently assaulted assistant coach Terry Robiskie due to Matuszak hearing a false rumor that the team was going to trade away star tight end Todd Christensen, he was banned from ever setting foot in the Raiders' HQ again.
When I was ten I got to get his autograph as the rest of my little league team did. I could not believe how big he was (I was ten, he was juiced). He was very gracious to all of us.
Old 11-01-2012   #23
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ed Biles and can anyone name the TE next to him? We traded him and got the rights to a pretty good rb in his day...
The Oilers traded 4 picks and TE Jimmie Giles to the Bucs for Campbell. With the Oilers 1st round pick, Tampa Bay took Grambling QB Doug Williams. Williams and Giles were a very good combo, with Giles becoming a 4 time Pro Bowler. But, they weren't Earl.

Oh, and that's Joe Bugel - the Oilers o-line coach.
Old 11-02-2012   #24
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Mike Barber

The coach in the pic is Joe Bugel and thats Mike Barber. The TE we traded to get Earl was Jimmie Giles.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012   #25
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

1978 Oilers Review (22:38)
Old 11-02-2012   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I had that jacket. It was Oilers blue with silver plastic (I assume that was plastic) sleeves and the round patch that looked like this ..

I wore that out and I remember my mom buying me the same jacket from Sears but a Bucs orange one. I rooted for the Bucs as a kid also because they had the same colors as La Porte HS. I think by that time Bud had fired Bum and I was really turned off of the Oilers.
I bet you were the only guy in the 50 states to own and early era Oiler jacket and a Buc creamsicle jacket back to back.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012   #27
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
The coach in the pic is Joe Bugel and thats Mike Barber. The TE we traded to get Earl was Jimmie Giles.
man, I'm calling Joe Bugel, Ed Biles and butchered the Jimmie Giles trade. I think my brain is shrinking as I age. I'm not even going to discuss bladder size.

Old 11-02-2012   #28
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Another interesting Matuszak tidbit I remember is the following found on wiki as I read this thread...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Matuszak

When I was ten I got to get his autograph as the rest of my little league team did. I could not believe how big he was (I was ten, he was juiced). He was very gracious to all of us.
Interesting info thanks. Back in those days, many of players were juiced IMO. Somehow, you notice more of the Ex Raider players were juiced. Maybe bad boy image helped notice a little more.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012   #29
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
Yeah, I know about Barber and Earl part but others can't recall as I was just started to learn English and didn't know the rule or anything about football. But somehow, I fond football the most exciting sports and hooked ever since. Thanks for info about Bugel and Giles. I remember Tyler Rose when he was still at UT and all the hype(rightfully so) he was getting from media.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012   #30
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 78148 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I bet you were the only guy in the 50 states to own and early era Oiler jacket and a Buc creamsicle jacket back to back.
Probably true. I remember kids in school making fun of my creamsicle jacket.

It's funny though that you brought up Sears. Back then that was the best place to get NFL merchandise. It was the only place to get out of market teams merchandise.

Living in La Porte my mom used to always bring me home Oilers stuff. However she had to use the Sears catalog to buy me Bucs garb. I still remember her showing up with a Doug Williams 12 jersey (those old 70's jerseys that had the team name on front) and a Bucs watch with an orange band. I remember some kid in Deer Park picking a fight with me because of my "gay" orange watch ..lol.

BTW, my most prized NFL items back then were those 1979 series Damac posters. I had one of the Oilers and the Bucs. Those were the coolest posters. The Oilers one had Pastorini handing off to Earl with an oil working working on a rig in the background.

I just recently found someone here that had the Bucs one. I bought it from him and am going to frame it for my sports room.

Here is the Bucs one. I cannot find the Oilers one I had on Google.

Here's an Oilers one but this is not the one I had. I think each year they released a different one.

Here are many more teams http://www.illustratednfl.talktalk.net/Damac.html
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012   #31
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9887 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Oiler Games

Quote:
Probably true. I remember kids in school making fun of my creamsicle jacket.

It's funny though that you brought up Sears. Back then that was the best place to get NFL merchandise. It was the only place to get out of market teams merchandise.

Living in La Porte my mom used to always bring me home Oilers stuff. However she had to use the Sears catalog to buy me Bucs garb. I still remember her showing up with a Doug Williams 12 jersey (those old 70's jerseys that had the team name on front) and a Bucs watch with an orange band. I remember some kid in Deer Park picking a fight with me because of my "gay" orange watch ..lol.

BTW, my most prized NFL items back then were those 1979 series Damac posters. I had one of the Oilers and the Bucs. Those were the coolest posters. The Oilers one had Pastorini handing off to Earl with an oil working working on a rig in the background.

I just recently found someone here that had the Bucs one. I bought it from him and am going to frame it for my sports room.

Here is the Bucs one. I cannot find the Oilers one I had on Google.

Here's an Oilers one but this is not the one I had. I think each year they released a different one.

Here are many more teams http://www.illustratednfl.talktalk.net/Damac.html
I have this Oilers picture in a framed mirror I got it at a K-Mart in St. Thomas, Ont. in 1982. They only had 3 mirrors; the other 2 were the Cowboys & Steelers.
Old 11-02-2012   #32
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

3 favorite Oilers is difficult, Moon, Matthews, Campbell. Haywood Jeffries a close 4th. But don't give me a few minutes to think.
Old 11-02-2012   #33
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
anytime...I was about 11 or so back then....I've followed the Oilers from earlier when they were back to back 1-13 teams. I remember always wanting the Oiler letterman jacket out of the Sears catalogue. You would see guys around school with the Cowboys jacket but not many Oiler ones. It didn't help that they were really awful colors (not to mention the team was awful at that time)...back then those jackets were this weird Lions-esque blue with Silver/grey arms and the silver helmet on the chest. They got rid of the silver and the NFL started marketing sportsgear around then.
Quote:
I had that jacket. It was Oilers blue with silver plastic (I assume that was plastic) sleeves and the round patch that looked like this ..

I wore that out and I remember my mom buying me the same jacket from Sears but a Bucs orange one. I rooted for the Bucs as a kid also because they had the same colors as La Porte HS. I think by that time Bud had fired Bum and I was really turned off of the Oilers.

I know that jacket well. Even at that age I remember thinking that it didn't really look very "Oilers" to me. The silver was kind of a gray and just like Vinny said the blue was off.

I love reminiscing but I'm also a little afraid. I'm afraid we'll get some "Oiler" on us and Sunday the Bills will smell Oiler in the water and go nuts on the Texans. Hopefully not though.

Last edited by Hervoyel; 11-02-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012   #34
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm uploading some oiler games to TTTube right now. They are public for now, so if you go to the channel you can see them if you want to. I'll post links and clean it all up tomorrow.
Old 11-03-2012   #35
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I know that jacket well. Even at that age I remember thinking that it didn't really look very "Oilers" to me. The silver was kind of a gray and just like Vinny said the blue was off.

I love reminiscing but I'm also a little afraid. I'm afraid we'll get some "Oiler" on us and Sunday the Bills will smell Oiler in the water and go nuts on the Texans. Hopefully not though.
Yeah, that there is some Yankee blue or something. Reeks of old world Lion blue and silver a bit.

I hope this isn't some bizarro world foreshadowing. At least we aren't in Buffalo facing the next Bruce Smith. How big a lead is big enough? That's always a tough question for old Oiler fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I'm uploading some oiler games to TTTube right now. They are public for now, so if you go to the channel you can see them if you want to. I'll post links and clean it all up tomorrow.
you're the awesome.

Old 11-03-2012   #36
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 78148 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Is that you? That jacket is a little older than the one I had. I remember some kids with that one. Mine was exactly the same but it had the white helmet on the patch which obviously came out later.

I still have this late 80's Starter jacket ...

I have been meaning to put it on Ebay. I think that is the last of any Oilers clothing I have. I had a Warren Moon authentic jersey from the early 90's but gave that away years ago to Yvette on the Titans board.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012   #37
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

First 6 games of the 1980 Oilers season are up now. Go here for links:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94722
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #38
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is that you? That jacket is a little older than the one I had. I remember some kids with that one. Mine was exactly the same but it had the white helmet on the patch which obviously came out later.

I still have this late 80's Starter jacket ...

I have been meaning to put it on Ebay. I think that is the last of any Oilers clothing I have. I had a Warren Moon authentic jersey from the early 90's but gave that away years ago to Yvette on the Titans board.
Yeah, that's me. Loved that jacket and hated when it got too small for me.
Old 11-05-2012   #39
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42947 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1973 wk 8 Oilers at Colts

Quote:
1975 wk 5 Redskins at Oilers. Dr Doom!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewhPI...eature=related
In that clip the Oilers committed 3 personal fouls for going after the QBs legs, one for driving the QBs head in the ground, and one horse collar.

The NFL front office would have made a lot of money in that game.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #40
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I've got this one in a frame stored in my warehouse. Since I gave Hervoyel all my Oilers stuff, I have been meaning to ask him if he wanted this print. I'm not sure of it's condition, but being in a frame behind glass all these years could have preserved it well.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read