Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-03-2010   #61
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: (Alan Burge column) Tate a happy Texan; Ryan Mathews "scared" he'd be a Texan

Who is Travis Jackson?

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #62
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Rep Power: 1809 IBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: (Alan Burge column) Tate a happy Texan; Ryan Mathews "scared" he'd be a Texan

He means Vincent Jackson and he still has to serve a 3 game suspension. Won't be back till week 10
IBleedTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #63
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be scarred to be a RB on this team as well.

" Wait, so I'm being rewarded for my stellar play by NOT getting touches in my first Monday Night Game while Matt is being sodomized on National TV? Thanks coach..."
Old 11-03-2010   #64
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 59111 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I would be scarred to be a RB on this team as well.

" Wait, so I'm being rewarded for my stellar play by NOT getting touches in my first Monday Night Game while Matt is being sodomized on National TV? Thanks coach..."
Great use of sodomy as a visual! LMAO! Rep.

Exhumed - Gore Metal album - Sodomy and Lust....bad ass song!!

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #65
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Tolbert is the best back on that team....I watched that game Sunday and he was running over Titan defenders. Somebody just needs to give him a shot, it looks like SD might've found another Michael Turner in their backfield.....dude just needs a shot as a starter.
Mike Tolbert (born November 23, 1985 in Douglasville, Georgia) is an American football fullback for the San Diego Chargers of the National Football League. He was signed by the Chargers as an undrafted free agent in 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tolbert
Sound familiary ? Another undrafted FA coming out of college like our guy Foster. I tell ya these guys are everywhere and there's no point wasting high picks on them (Chargers used what on Matthews, 12th overall ?).
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #66
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Mike Tolbert (born November 23, 1985 in Douglasville, Georgia) is an American football fullback for the San Diego Chargers of the National Football League. He was signed by the Chargers as an undrafted free agent in 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tolbert
Sound familiary ? Another undrafted FA coming out of college like our guy Foster. I tell ya these guys are everywhere and there's no point wasting high picks on them (Chargers used what on Matthews, 12th overall ?).
And a trade up. For a guy who lacks a little heart. He'll kill us, but who doesn't.
Old 11-02-2012   #67
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

A caller brought this up on 790...

Just thought it was interesting and wondered how Ryan felt now...

I know how I feel....

Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012   #68
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
A caller brought this up on 790...

Just thought it was interesting and wondered how Ryan felt now...

I know how I feel....
If I were Tate, I'd think I would be happier as the starting RB for the Chargers. That team would be 6-2 right now if that were the case.

If I were Tate.

If I were Ryan, I'd still be happy being the starter in SD than being the back up in Houston.
Old 11-02-2012   #69
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5747 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Where do you want to go back to now Mr. Peabody?
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012   #70
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21813 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
If I were Tate, I'd think I would be happier as the starting RB for the Chargers. That team would be 6-2 right now if that were the case.

If I were Tate.

If I were Ryan, I'd still be happy being the starter in SD than being the back up in Houston.
No, they wouldn't. San Diego is a terribly-coached team (don't let last night's win over a horrible KC team fool you). Norv Turner wouldn't know what to do with a talented RB like Ben Tate.

Currently, being a backup RB in Houston is higher profile than being a lead RB in San Diego. In Houston, the offense gets a lot of attention, and so even the back-up RB benefits.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012   #71
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If I were Tate.

You honestly sit there and say the Chargers would be 6-2 because of one player: Ben Tate?

Wow. LOL.
Old 11-02-2012   #72
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If I were Tate.

TK, That's ridiculous...

At the time of that draft Arian was not Arian. Ryan would have come in and been the starter. He didn't want to come here because he thought we sucked. We did at the time, but still...He didn't want to come here because we weren't that good and now he's on a team thats not that good...

And you think Tate would rather be in SD than in Houston?

doubtful. He'll get more money on his next contract backing up Arian here than he would as a starter in SD.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012   #73
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21813 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
TK, That's ridiculous...

At the time of that draft Arian was not Arian. Ryan would have come in and been the starter. He didn't want to come here because he thought we sucked. We did at the time, but still...He didn't want to come here because we weren't that good and now he's on a team thats not that good...

doubtful. He'll get more money on his next contract backing up Arian here than he would as a starter in SD.
Yep
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012   #74
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
You honestly sit there and say the Chargers would be 6-2 because of one player: Ben Tate?

Wow. LOL.
Shhh! He's trying to raise his trade value. Let the man do work!
Old 11-02-2012   #75
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
TK, That's ridiculous...

Arian had a couple of big games the year before and helped us to our first winning season, so some of us had faith in Arian, and he proved himself with one of the best season opening game against the Colts. Yeah, everyone wanted a RB, but I never wanted Ryan Mathews, and after he made that statement, I was glad we didnt draft him.
Old 11-02-2012   #76
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Unhappy Re: (Alan Burge column) Tate a happy Texan; Ryan Mathews "scared" he'd be a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Yep
Not if he can't get on the field.
Old 11-02-2012   #77
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember every sports pundit telling Houston fans that the Texans would be crazy to not take Matthews, he was the missing piece to our success, and maybe we should trade up. Even John McClain was on the bandwagon, despite knowing that the ZBS doesn't need a 1st round RB. It reminded me a lot of when the media told us we needed to take Reggie Bush. The media loves to convene on what the Texans need to be doing. Maybe so we'd look more like the Jets.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012   #78
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I was one of the ones pounding on the table for Ryan Mathews. And in the same situation, I'd still be pounding on the table for the best RB we could find.

Usually, the best running backs in the league are high round draft picks. Not always, but usually.

If you want to have a superior running game, then you need to invest in the position. That means a mixture of high and low round draft choices. Draft RBs early and often.

Why? Because it's a position that breaks. You need a talented stable of RBs to draw on.

The fact that you can get yards with a lower round back or that a higher round draft choice might only give you a couple of years of productivity doesn't mean that you should stop drafting RBs in the early rounds, it means you should pick up a quality back whenever you have the chance.

After a few good games at the end of his rookie season, we really didn't know if Arian was a hoss who could carry us or if he was a Chris Taylor who would break and fade away. So we had to draft a RB early that year. We were a running team without a certified stud RB.

And we did draft a RB early; we got Tate. And that's been a huge boost to us. But he's breaking. It's time to pick out another couple of good RBs in this upcoming draft and select them. Unless Forsett and Grimes really step up. (And even then, I'd consider drafting at least 1 RB.)
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012   #79
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
No, they wouldn't. San Diego is a terribly-coached team (don't let last night's win over a horrible KC team fool you). Norv Turner wouldn't know what to do with a talented RB like Ben Tate.
Whoa..... I didn't say they would be 6-2. I'm saying a competitor like Ben Tate wouldn't let their current record distract him from wanting to be a starter & going to a team where he has reasonable expectations of being a starter. Even with Matthews there, he probably thinks he would have won the job by now & they'd be on a 5 game win streak.

Quote:
TK, That's ridiculous...

I don't know about ridiculous. The first time Matthews put the ball on the ground, Arian would have his chance & we'd be right back to where we are now. Arian is the man & the talented high draft pick would be carrying his pads to & from the practice field.
Old 11-02-2012   #80
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
TK, That's ridiculous...

Not necessarily true. Keep in mind all of the talk in training camp was how good Arian looked and he was listed as the #1, even though people already penciled in Tate as the starter.

Sure, it didn't help that Tate got injured in the pre-season. Also, maybe Ryan would have really impressed and out-performed Arian in the pre-season to claim the starting spot. But at the same time, no guarantee Ryan would have been the starter. IMO, he would have been #2.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read