Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-31-2012   #21
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Three all time NFL favorite athletes...

Earl Campbell
Joe Montana
Jerry Rice

NON football player, but one of the greatest names in NFL history, IMHO, is Bum Phillips! I would do just about ANYTHING to meet that man and have him sign my leather Oiler jacket! I'd take it to football heaven with me when I go!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012   #22
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61321 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
NON football player, but one of the greatest names in NFL history, IMHO, is Bum Phillips! I would do just about ANYTHING to meet that man and have him sign my leather Oiler jacket! I'd take it to football heaven with me when I go!
I got to meet his daughter, KimAnn. Definitely heart of gold people!
Old 10-31-2012   #23
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 155499 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Earl Campbell

Don't need no one else on my list.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012   #24
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
2. Joe Montana
Meet him at a BMC Software function when the Super Bowl was in Houston. Very laid back and a lot smaller than I thought he would be. Probably weighs about 175-180.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
!. Eric Dickerson
Meet him at the Galleria just before he was drafted. Told him I hoped he went to the Oilers, but he wanted no part of them.

Earl is the one I would like to meet. Just to shake his hand and tell him how much I enjoyed watching him play and my appreciation for what he did for Houston. He will always be my idol.
Old 10-31-2012   #25
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 31376 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Earl Campbell
John Elway
Jim Kelly (Houston Gamblers)

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012   #26
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 59622 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
1. Earl Campbell
2. Robert "Dr. Doom" Brazile
3. Jim Otto (What can I say. I was a center when I was a kid and I idolized this guy and Mick Tinglehoff.)

JJ Watt, Brian Cushing, and Arian Foster are closing in, though.
I've met 2 on your list, lol.

When I was a kid, my Mom was friends with Billy "Whiteshoes" Johnson.

Jogged with Earl and rode on Robert Brazile's shoulders!
Old 10-31-2012   #27
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

If I'm going three, I'll put it like this.

1. Tom Brady - Best QB ever to play the game if you ask me. The 2nd coming of Joe Montana, and slightly better in my opinion. My favorite player to watch as an adult.

2. Joe Montana - 2nd best ever to play the game. He was my childhood hero growing up and I loved watching him flat out win even when he went to the Chiefs.

3. Brett Favre - The guy is just exciting and always made GB relevant. Loved watching that guy play all those years.

HOnerable Mention that couldn't make my list

Ray Lewis - Best leader I've ever seen in any sport. Best defensive player I've ever seen that not only could dominate individually, but could make his teammates around him elevate their game to higher levels. The year they won the SB, I've never seen a more dominant defensive player on a team ever.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012   #28
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 6605 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Three all time NFL favorite athletes...

Earl Campbell
Paul Warfield
Vernon Perry (saw him play in Montreal)
Old 10-31-2012   #29
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 59622 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Going with the premise of Dread's thread of players that made you love the game:

1. Roger Staubach
2. Tony Dorsett
3. Mean Joe Greene
Old 10-31-2012   #30
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63569 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Deion Sanders ( might be the most gifted athlete i've ever seen)

Barry Sanders ( might be the most electrifying athlete i've ever seen)

Ronnie Lott ( not as athletic as others but his spirit and tenacity owned the field like few i've seen. If your willing to lose a finger to play you make my list!)

I really love polamalu's game and he's one of the few players in the league i'll go out of my way to watch, but he's well behind the 3 listed above.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012   #31
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 223543 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Meet him at a BMC Software function when the Super Bowl was in Houston. Very laid back and a lot smaller than I thought he would be. Probably weighs about 175-180.
Sat down next to George Siefort in a plane in 1994. Real nice guy. Just working away but still was very cordial and would discuss football even after knowing I was a Cowboys fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Ronnie Lott ( not as athletic as others but his spirit and tenacity owned the field like few i've seen. If your willing to lose a finger to play you make my list!)

I really love polamalu's game and he's one of the few players in the league i'll go out of my way to watch, but he's well behind the 3 listed above.
Look into Cliff Harris. Captain Crash was a contemporary of Lott and the two were predecessors to Polamalu.
Old 11-01-2012   #32
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Brett Favre is a good mention! I didn't even think of him. I'd change LT with Favre. I think Brett would be someone that would easily relate to regular people, especially over a chicken fried steak dinner.
Old 11-01-2012   #33
BigLee713
Rookie

1. Earl Campbell
2. Deion Sanders
3. Walter Payton

I met Earl Campbell about 6 years ago while stopping at a little hole in the wall restaurant in south Texas near our deer lease, come to find out he has a lease around there as well. He had his Earl Campbell Sausage bus parked outside and he walked in on crutches, I guess his hard running style took a serious toll on his body...
BigLee713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012   #34
gwallaia

Rep Power: 51052 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Sat down next to George Siefort in a plane in 1994. Real nice guy. Just working away but still was very cordial and would discuss football even after knowing I was a Cowboys fan.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012   #35
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Earl Campbell
2. Deacon Jones
3. Howie Long

1. Earl was drafted right when I got to the age of really getting into football. I will never forget him as a player or person. My wife worked for TriStar several years ago and I had the priviledge of meeting him more than once. He's one of the best, most grounded athletes I've ever met. By far my favorite

2. I played DE throughout my football days, so how can you not love the cat that invented the "sack". Plus, like me, he didn't have "the size" that your typical DE had/has.

3. I began closely watching Howie during HS. I followed him a close as one could back in the 80's because I wanted to play like him. My heart could, but my body couldn't. lol

Reggie White was another favorite of mine. Like Howie, the dude played the game the right way imo
Old 11-01-2012   #36
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Earl Campbell - what can I say

Robert "Dr Doom" Brazille
Quote:
Brazile found immediate success with the Oilers, winning the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year award for the 1975 season.

He was named to the Pro Bowl in each of his first seven seasons, was All-Pro 5 straight seasons (1976–80)[5] and was selected to the NFL's All-Decade Team for the 1970s.

He is the only linebacker from the 1970s All-Decade Team not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

In 1978 and 1979, Brazile was a key member of Oilers teams that went to back-to-back AFC Championship games.
Mike Munchak - already in the HOF, no pimping needed. Electric sledgehammer at times.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012   #37
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13094 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Earl Campbell
2. Jerome Bettis
3. Bruce Matthews

I love hard smash mouth workers!
Old 11-03-2012   #38
kiwitexansfan
Let's Mock!!!!!

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

My favourites are as follows.

1. Ronnie Lott

2. Steve Atwater

3. Keyshawn Johnson
Old 11-03-2012   #39
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Earl Campbell
Walter Payton
John Jefferson
Old 11-03-2012   #40
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Look into Cliff Harris. Captain Crash was a contemporary of Lott and the two were predecessors to Polamalu.
Cliff Harris and Charlie Waters were two of my favorite Cowboys of old and a great safety duo.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read