Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 10-27-2012   #41
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3 Amigo Texan "BYE WEEK" Mock 2013 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
NT and OL , both guard and RT come to mind for me as potential uses for this years #1 pick.

OL specifically because the pick will more than likely be in the tail end of the round and that is the prime area to get value at RT and the cream of the crop interior guy's.

Add that to the loss of Butler and the right side being "just good enough" I'd really like to see improvement there .... Wade Smith is also aging and will need replacing. (when's his contract up?)
So much of what this offense does is dictated by how well the OL performs .... the running game has suffered significantly with the loss of Briesel and Winston.

NT - Cody's contract expires at the end of the year , I have to wonder if they can afford to keep him. He's also had back issues .... You guy's have filled that spot in round 2 , works for me , solid player who probably contributes early and often.

Thats what I was asking ... Is this your eventual replacement for AJ. I can get on board with that decision as it has to be addressed doing it sooner prepares for later.

I just have to wonder .... If one of Jean , Posey or Martin improves greatly over the final half of the season , will they spend that premium pick at the position.

Also in making that pick , someone has to go from this years group .... unless you think they keep six which reduces roster flexability.

Lastly , I have to wonder if Woods is still on the board when the Texans make their choice or if they might make a move up into the top 12 or so for Keenan Allen. (not likely considering the cost)

They havent spent a premium pick at the position in a decade ..... with only Jacoby Jones and Posey drafted in the 3rd or higher since AJ. Probably time they do ....

ILB is another spot I would consider spending a #1 on ..... Bradie James has been "Ok" and Cushing should return .... but behind them you have Dobbins who has filled in admirably and Sharpton .... who's done nothing , ever.
Just dont see an ILB who would be available when they pick that would be good value.
I think the prime OGs will be gone by the time we pick, and also, I am quite high on Brooks, and to a lesser extent Jones, and think he will be ready to start next year. As for RT, I could see going with one there. Matthews is definitely on my watch list.

However, we decided that Woods presents greater value. All things even, I rate a number 1 WR more than a number 1 RT. If one of the young WRs step up, then this obviously changes. I have doubts on that happening though.

I think the Texans can go with 6 WRs, since they all bring a little something different. AJ is the beast, Woods the future, Walter is Mr. Reliable, Jean is the big target, Martin is the returner/slot guy and Posey.., well, it sounds like the FO is high on the guy. If they are right (and obviously I hope they are) then WR becomes less of a need. By the end of the season/playoffs, we should have a better idea of Posey's future.

Re Keenan- personally, I like Woods better, but looking around the web and talking to people I seem to be in the minority. Thus, I think Allen goes before Woods, but I think we get the better player in this scenario.

I think you answered yourself on ILB. While we would like to address the position earlier, there is simply no value. Te'o will be gone, although I would trade up for him if possible. The others all have some question marks, and we all like how Jackson fits in the 3rd.

Last edited by rmartin65; 10-27-2012 at 11:00 AM.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #42
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
NT and OL , both guard and RT come to mind for me as potential uses for this years #1 pick.

OL specifically because the pick will more than likely be in the tail end of the round and that is the prime area to get value at RT and the cream of the crop interior guy's.

Add that to the loss of Butler and the right side being "just good enough" I'd really like to see improvement there .... Wade Smith is also aging and will need replacing. (when's his contract up?)
So much of what this offense does is dictated by how well the OL performs .... the running game has suffered significantly with the loss of Briesel and Winston.
I've felt the same way about this for years, then along comes a 7th rd. pick, becomes a starter who is growing into role week after week. Ben Jones, 4th rd. is a stud, who will probably be the starting Center in next three or four years, until then I don't see Caldwell getting his old job back, so he leaves & opens up a spot for last years 3rd rd. pick Brooks. Texans can acquire another un-drafted free agent who fits ZBS (smaller,quicker) either LG or RG. Keep the continuity established this season while building for the future with young OL already in waiting.

Quote:
NT - Cody's contract expires at the end of the year , I have to wonder if they can afford to keep him. He's also had back issues .... You guy's have filled that spot in round 2 , works for me , solid player who probably contributes early and often.
first off don't think resigning Cody will break the bank. Texans will make a fair offer to set him up for life, yet within reason for what he means to this team. I think they will agree on a three year deal with player/team option for last year. This will safeguard position & allow time for draft pick to develop.

Quote:
Thats what I was asking ... Is this your eventual replacement for AJ. I can get on board with that decision as it has to be addressed doing it sooner prepares for later.

I just have to wonder .... If one of Jean , Posey or Martin improves greatly over the final half of the season , will they spend that premium pick at the position.

Also in making that pick , someone has to go from this years group .... unless you think they keep six which reduces roster flexability.

Lastly , I have to wonder if Woods is still on the board when the Texans make their choice or if they might make a move up into the top 12 or so for Keenan Allen. (not likely considering the cost)

They havent spent a premium pick at the position in a decade ..... with only Jacoby Jones and Posey drafted in the 3rd or higher since AJ. Probably time they do ....
Your right, its time. I want to also see Andre flourish. A big reason why his numbers have dropped is because he has been flying solo, while still doing a lot of the dirty work. Texans need a big time threat who knows how to get open & take the top off the defense. Andre will always be #1 long as he is a Texan. What I look @ is a team like the Giants who have a #1 in Hakeem Nicks (their Andre Johnson) & probably the best #2 in the NFL (Victor Cruz). Very hard for teams to defend both & it spreads the defense & keeps teams from crowding the box to focus shutting down Foster & the running game.

Quote:
is another spot I would consider spending a #1 on ..... Bradie James has been "Ok" and Cushing should return .... but behind them you have Dobbins who has filled in admirably and Sharpton .... who's done nothing , ever.
Just dont see an ILB who would be available when they pick that would be good value.
T'eo is the #1 prospect on our Texan Big Board, no argument, but like Von Miller, Earl Thomas, Joe Haden & others who have been favorites of this board @ positions of need will be long gone by the time Texans select. Trading up can work, just look at RG3 or Julio Jones but you better be right or you can set your program back 2 or 3 years. We liked Shayne Skov, Stanford, if Jackson is gone & he is still on the board in the 3rd he would be a good choice, close to BPA & fill a priority need.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #43
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Texans track record speaks for itself last draft, Illinois, Ohio State, Michigan State, Nebraska, Purdue all Big 10 schools. Just coincidence I'm sure

Not even a big Irish fan either, but they get some top kids who want to play for Notre Dame regardless. They hired the wrong Kelly to coach the team, I mean the guy just does nothing for me, very bland I also didn't like the way he left Cincinnati. But anyway moving to specifics.

Texans have yet to replace Vonta Leach in our opinion. Is it just coincidence that Baltimore likes to pilfer free agent Texans? Anyway investing a 6th rd. pick to upgrade the FB position doesn't seem that bad of deal as opposed to 8 million a year. I understand your bitter rivals vs the Ohio State, sorry about that nothing personal. Blocking @ the line of scrimmage is probably my biggest concern or need to address with this team (nitpicking). A blocking FB & blocking TE will solve that, fact is they could also bring some offensive skills to the table a plus. We looked at interior linemen too but good ones go early, have enough projects in development so went high end on defensive side & receiving.

thanks for feedback WolverineFan.

Just out of curiosity what are your thoughts of Denard Robinson?
I'm not going with numbers on Tuitt. Watch him play. He's legit.

And the B1G/ND thing was just a jab at you guys. Wasn't being serious.

And yes, I am obviously bitter toward OSU prospects. But I will admit when they are legit prospects. I was outspoken about the Posey pick last year, but that was because I thought it was too early. Could have waited and gotten better value. As for Sabino, I watch OSU closely obviously. He's never been the best LB on his own team. I think he's limited.

As for Denard. Love the guy, great kid. Not an NFL QB obviously. Will be a Dexter McCluster type at the next level. I would have him return kicks and play RB/WR. Much more RB than WR though. If used correctly he could be very, very dangerous.

Here's a clip of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmnjDokCE2E

The LB getting whiffed is.....Sabino.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #44
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Soory I haven't had time to respond.

1. Like Woods alot, Like Patterson even more. Same speed, bigger jsut as fast if not faster, great KR/PR guy. just like Woods.
2. Nix, love this pick.
3. Fideo, Give me an ILB like Klien or Knott here. This is a deep draft for TE's. My sleeper guy that can probably be drafted later is Nick Kasa from Colorado.
3. Jackson, I haven't seen Jackson play, but if Saban likes him that speaks volumes. Bama is becoming the new LB U
4.L. Johnson, Good developmental OL, alot like Stephenson was last yr. I put a higher value on OL depth than most.
5.Sabino, he is a guy who can really contribute on ST's (Lord knows the ST's need help.) and could develop into a starting LB. He has the athletic ability. Great pick for this late in the draft. (Very realistic)
5.J. Johnson, Very good developmental CB, He could be a late rd nickle CB like McCain. Upgrades the ST's at the very least. Great pick.
6. Boren, Like the player/position, Every yr we mock a FB for the Texans, when is the last time the Texans have drafted a FB?
7.Lewis-Moore, I've watched ND quite a bit and Lewis Moore hasn't stood out. Give me a guy like Baker Steinkuhler (Could be an old time Oiler homer) or Dave Kruger from Utah. (Both are sons of former NFL players. Or a RB (You can never have too many) like Rex Burkhead, who is a very underrated RB, who could be a big help on ST's.\

Great job once again guys, you did a great job of mixing needs with developmental guys. ST'problems need and can be addressed thru the draft. This is the bggest weakness on this yrs team. IMHO

Your mock addresses this in a big way. Woods,Jackson,Sabino,,J.Johnson and Boren would be huge upgrades on the ST's compared to what Coach Joe (Needs to go) is currently running out there.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #45
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I think the prime OGs will be gone by the time we pick, and also, I am quite high on Brooks, and to a lesser extent Jones, and think he will be ready to start next year. As for RT, I could see going with one there. Matthews is definitely on my watch list.
Im higher on Jones than Brooks .... and agree with BL , he'll be the starter at C eventually and Caldwell has no shot at getting that spot back barring injury.

Im not sold on Newton .... inconsistent is the word I'd use to describe him.

Quote:
However, we decided that Woods presents greater value. All things even, I rate a number 1 WR more than a number 1 RT. If one of the young WRs step up, then this obviously changes. I have doubts on that happening though.
In nost offensive scheme's I wouldnt argue this point .... but everything this offense does is based off of the OL performing to perfection.

Who knows , maybe Newton continues to get better as the season goes along and my worries there are not justified.

Quote:
I think the Texans can go with 6 WRs, since they all bring a little something different. AJ is the beast, Woods the future, Walter is Mr. Reliable, Jean is the big target, Martin is the returner/slot guy and Posey.., well, it sounds like the FO is high on the guy. If they are right (and obviously I hope they are) then WR becomes less of a need. By the end of the season/playoffs, we should have a better idea of Posey's future.
They went with 6 out of the gate this year .... but have had to make adjustments due to injury and trycycle not performing. I could see them doing it again .... but it does take a roster spot from a 3rd qb or another db / lb.

Quote:
Re Keenan- personally, I like Woods better, but looking around the web and talking to people I seem to be in the majority. Thus, I think Allen goes before Woods, but I think we get the better player in this scenario.
misprint ?!?

I like Allen's combination of size and speed .... really close to AJ's size and a physical player in the same mold.

TBH I'd be fine with either of them at this point .... tho thats subject to change as the season goes on and their combine performances.

Quote:
I think you answered yourself on ILB. While we would like to address the position earlier, there is simply no value. Te'o will be gone, although I would trade up for him if possible. The others all have some question marks, and we all like how Jackson fits in the 3rd.
Yeah , thats what it boils down to .... no value.

Then again , say T'eo drops out of the top 15 .... might have to consider making a move for him from 16 on .... hypothetical I know ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I've felt the same way about this for years, then along comes a 7th rd. pick, becomes a starter who is growing into role week after week. Ben Jones, 4th rd. is a stud, who will probably be the starting Center in next three or four years, until then I don't see Caldwell getting his old job back, so he leaves & opens up a spot for last years 3rd rd. pick Brooks. Texans can acquire another un-drafted free agent who fits ZBS (smaller,quicker) either LG or RG. Keep the continuity established this season while building for the future with young OL already in waiting.
As I said above , so much of what they do is dictated by the OL's performance and Im not sold on Newton being the long term answer there tho with the salary cap issues he's a cheap option for now and maybe he improves enough to shut me up ....

Quote:
first off don't think resigning Cody will break the bank. Texans will make a fair offer to set him up for life, yet within reason for what he means to this team. I think they will agree on a three year deal with player/team option for last year. This will safeguard position & allow time for draft pick to develop.
I get the feeling that will be the case too .... the issue being his health long term tho.
He has afterall been the most consistent DL on the roster over the past couple seasons - with the exception of JJ Watt from midseason last year till the present.

Quote:
Your right, its time. I want to also see Andre flourish. A big reason why his numbers have dropped is because he has been flying solo, while still doing a lot of the dirty work. Texans need a big time threat who knows how to get open & take the top off the defense. Andre will always be #1 long as he is a Texan. What I look @ is a team like the Giants who have a #1 in Hakeem Nicks (their Andre Johnson) & probably the best #2 in the NFL (Victor Cruz). Very hard for teams to defend both & it spreads the defense & keeps teams from crowding the box to focus shutting down Foster & the running game.
You make a good point with the NYG comment .... I wouldnt argue against one of the top WR prospects in this draft .... unless one of a select few players were to fall in the Texans lap.

Quote:
T'eo is the #1 prospect on our Texan Big Board, no argument, but like Von Miller, Earl Thomas, Joe Haden & others who have been favorites of this board @ positions of need will be long gone by the time Texans select. Trading up can work, just look at RG3 or Julio Jones but you better be right or you can set your program back 2 or 3 years. We liked Shayne Skov, Stanford, if Jackson is gone & he is still on the board in the 3rd he would be a good choice, close to BPA & fill a priority need.
Cant argue with any of this ..... tho I might have Hankins (Ohoi St. NT) as #1 overall on my board but there is no way they have a shot at him ..... its real close between he and T'eo. Tho I think you get better value with Jenkins , NT from Georgia in the middle of the round.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #46
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

We really appreciate all our fellow texanstalk members opinions & feedback, you guys are the reason we take the time to do this

I see the OU ND game is not on until 7:00pm tonight so we have some time to think about this prior to what happens, but is it me or does Landry Jones remind anyone else of Matt Schaub? I watched some of Matt's games when he was still @ Virginia & his limited athleticism was on display back then but damn he could throw the rock down the field & pick apart a defense. I see so much in common between the two, even personality wise, that if he falls into late 2nd rd. would Kubiak not be tempted? I know it's outrageous to those of us who want to address other positions but if you have a big board & he is the highest rated player who fits what you currently do, maybe take a look?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxkHVv-J5n4

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-27-2012   #47
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Jones or Bray were to fall to the Texans pick in the 2nd rd I would take them in a heartbeat.

I dont think Gary will since Schaub just reupped.

A grear WR would help this team get better faster than any other position. A WR falling can happen. NicksWayne fell to late in the 1st rd. Many WR1 were picked after the 1st rd.

V.Jackson/Marshall/Nelson/Garcon/S.Smith etc... so there will be talent there the Texans just have to find it. Dobson is another favorite of mine.
Old 10-27-2012   #48
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Just some thoughts from everyone's posts:

Casey is a free agent this off season & while I do expect him to be re-signed, I think Fiedo and Boren are insurance policies in addition to good players. Graham is FA after '13.

Wade Smith will be 32 next season but @ only $3m. I just don't see him being moved off roster.

QB? I don't see a 2nd round sitting on PS with Matt locked in and doing very good. Yates could be beat out & could be trade bait I guess. Rather than 3 QBs, I can see Gary going again with 6 WRs. Martin on returns, Jean (make it or break in '13) and Posey (same).

CBA's flat salary cap will again force hard decisions by team and by FAs to accept lesser deals.
Old 10-27-2012   #49
beerlover
Site Contributor

Correction, Zach Boren is also now playing MLB for Ohio State (4th week) looking natural. Next James Casey? who was a 5th rd. pick by the Texans. That's 3 LB prospects in this draft

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-27-2012   #50
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Great mock guys. I have not looked to much into the draft this year, probably because the texans have been doing so well.
But seen as its bye week i thought i might get involved.

Dont know much about the players you have selected but from your descriptions obviously a lot has been put into this and it shows.

The only positions i have really seen is WR and TE.
The only top reciver i have not seen is Williams for Baylor and its seems like a lot of people are talking this guy up. what are your opinions on him?????

secondly, eifert and sims are arguably the top rated TEs, i got to see a ND game down here (Te'o looked amazing and that d-line is very strong but i didnt get to pinpoint Nix to much, but it was probably mostly him) and eifert looked pretty good, not exceptional though. what are your thoughts on these to guys (sims and eifert)??

again great stuff guys!!!!!!!!
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012   #51
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
The only positions i have really seen is WR and TE.
The only top reciver i have not seen is Williams for Baylor and its seems like a lot of people are talking this guy up. what are your opinions on him?????
I can't help you on the TE's haven't been watching them much. As for Terrance Williams, I thought he might have a down year because RGIII went to the NFL and Baylor would be starting with a new QB but that was sure wrong. Williams is having a very good year and has the size and speed most teams drool over. His write up by Walterfootball sounds perfect for the Texans and he'll probably be a late 1st round talent.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012   #52
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I can't help you on the TE's haven't been watching them much. As for Terrance Williams, I thought he might have a down year because RGIII went to the NFL and Baylor would be starting with a new QB but that was sure wrong. Williams is having a very good year and has the size and speed most teams drool over. His write up by Walterfootball sounds perfect for the Texans and he'll probably be a late 1st round talent.
Williams is Josh Gordon talent wise.

But this is an above avg yr for WR's a talent will fall to the mid 2nd rd. When this happens the Texans should be ready to pounce. Especially since the Texans have a 3rd rd comp pick. They should make trading up a priority.) IMHO

This draft should be about finding 4 guys that can play. (Just like any yr) Be it on offense or defense. The rest of the 2 or 3 picks should be used to improve ST's. (Coach Joe must go.)
Old 10-28-2012   #53
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Just something to think about, what if Texans do not need a receiver? Although we are #18 in passing yardage, we are 6-1. TE Daniels is only one reception behind AJ (34-33).

Johnson: 34/444 @ 13.1 with 2 TDs
Daniels : 33/416 @ 12.8 with 4 TDs
Walter : 19/279 @ 14.7 with 2 TDs

RBs 22/143

Can we go with that for another year and then choose WR?

If a stud falls to us, probably grab him. That was my thought with Woods. If a franchise type player drops in your lap at any position, catch him. (pun intended).
Old 10-29-2012   #54
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Williams is Josh Gordon talent wise.

But this is an above avg yr for WR's a talent will fall to the mid 2nd rd. When this happens the Texans should be ready to pounce. Especially since the Texans have a 3rd rd comp pick. They should make trading up a priority.) IMHO

This draft should be about finding 4 guys that can play. (Just like any yr) Be it on offense or defense. The rest of the 2 or 3 picks should be used to improve ST's. (Coach Joe must go.)
what are his hands like? first thing i look for is a WR that attacks the ball hands out and is very reliable.
Old 10-29-2012   #55
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Just something to think about, what if Texans do not need a receiver? Although we are #18 in passing yardage, we are 6-1. TE Daniels is only one reception behind AJ (34-33).

Johnson: 34/444 @ 13.1 with 2 TDs
Daniels : 33/416 @ 12.8 with 4 TDs
Walter : 19/279 @ 14.7 with 2 TDs

RBs 22/143

Can we go with that for another year and then choose WR?

If a stud falls to us, probably grab him. That was my thought with Woods. If a franchise type player drops in your lap at any position, catch him. (pun intended).
I have to agree with this. Its not a massive need in my opinion mainly because we play so much 2 WR sets. considering how well walter is playing and that we drafted 2 this year not including jean. i would like to see another year with the group we have.
but as you said if a stud Wideout falls then you probably go after him...we are in a great position to just go BPA!

i would prefer us to go with after a top TE to bolster that group considering there isnt a lot after OD and i like casey as the H-back.
OD is getting older and will start to cost a lot against the cap. it may be the time to groom an heir to OD rather then AJ at this time

Last edited by aussie_texan; 10-29-2012 at 05:53 AM. Reason: added content
Old 10-29-2012   #56
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I have to agree with this. Its not a massive need in my opinion mainly because we play so much 2 WR sets. considering how well walter is playing and that we drafted 2 this year not including jean. i would like to see another year with the group we have.
but as you said if a stud Wideout falls then you probably go after him...we are in a great position to just go BPA!

i would prefer us to go with after a top TE to bolster that group considering there isnt a lot after OD and i like casey as the H-back.
OD is getting older and will start to cost a lot against the cap. it may be the time to groom an heir to OD rather then AJ at this time
OD is 29 and could easily have a 1,000 yd season. I think Graham is perfect third TE. I prefer to see Casey more at TE rather than FB. Amigos picked Fiedo due to his size/skills as a blocker and a decent receiver who could replace Garrett Graham.
Old 10-29-2012   #57
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
what are his hands like? first thing i look for is a WR that attacks the ball hands out and is very reliable.
I got to watch him in person against UT his hands appeared to be good. He is a hands catcher. Has real good speed and appears to be real good at high pointing the ball.

Positive: Briles says Williams is one of the hardest workers he's been around.

Negative: Not real sudden in and out of his breaks.
Old 10-29-2012   #58
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

secondly, eifert and sims are arguably the top rated TEs, i got to see a ND game down here (Te'o looked amazing and that d-line is very strong but i didnt get to pinpoint Nix to much, but it was probably mostly him) and eifert looked pretty good, not exceptional though. what are your thoughts on these to guys (sims and eifert)??

again great stuff guys!!!!!!!!
I really need to watch more on sims, work and all. Eifert will look not exceptional do to the QB play. Golson is a hybrib QB and his passing is slowly progressing. If you watch Eifert when Reese is playing you will see a huge difference in his pass catching. He can catch as well as OD and block better than Dressen. That is one area that makes him a first rounder in my opinion. Since he excels at catching and blocking, versus only one facet.
Old 10-30-2012   #59
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I really need to watch more on sims, work and all. Eifert will look not exceptional do to the QB play. Golson is a hybrib QB and his passing is slowly progressing. If you watch Eifert when Reese is playing you will see a huge difference in his pass catching. He can catch as well as OD and block better than Dressen. That is one area that makes him a first rounder in my opinion. Since he excels at catching and blocking, versus only one facet.
Eifert will carry a first round grade next April unless something tragic happens.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-31-2012   #60
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys are killing me with this Mike Martin from Michig......

...lol. Nice draft. Maybe a little LBer heavy but I like it! Y'all are on top of the college game. I'll be more in depth when pro-football is over!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read