Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-27-2012   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kareem Jackson allowing only 2.5 receptions and 35 yards per game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Almost the worst...

.................................................. ...Snaps.........Rating
096 Kareem Jackson HST ......................908..........-11.3
096 Cortland Finnegan TEN ..................1209..........-11.3
098 Derek Cox JAX ...............................691.........-11.5
099 Richard Marshall CAR......................1114.........-11.7
100 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie ARZ....1132..........-13.4
The problem with individual numbers is right there.

You just can't count on stats alone to determine a player's performance.
If you use that list as a criteria to select your players, you couldn't be any more ill-equipped.

Even a guy like Derek Cox gave the guys at PFF a wild change of heart.
They called him a secret superstar entering this season:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ville-jaguars/

The fact that guys were all over the place from one year to the next in their evaluation should tell you something.
If you use them as a scouting service, well.... please fill in the blank.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #22
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
I want EllisUnit to eat crow and finally admit he was AND is wrong about this kid. I knew time would tell the true story. Can someone make this happen?
i ALWAYS hoped he would turn into a top tier CB, he has greatly improved no doubt. As odd as it may sound i still worry about him out there, lets face brady or a team with more than 1 stud WR that jojo covers and see how he does.
Old 10-27-2012   #23
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Let me correct myself, as my prior post was "overall ratings" and we're really talking about coverage rating when we discuss CBs.

Below is the 2010 worst coverage CBs*.

Quote:
.....................Snaps.........Coverage Rating
95 Marcus Trufant SEA 949 ...........-8.1
96 Jerraud Powers IND 596 ............-8.3
97 Kareem Jackson HST 908 ..........-8.8
98 Asher Allen MIN 709 .................-9.2
99 Cortland Finnegan TEN 1209 .....-10.0
100 Eric Wright CLV 727 ...............-10.1

*This is as much formatting I'll re-do as it takes forever to get everything to line up properly.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #24
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

could not be happier for this guy. had the entire city on his back and his been able to brush it off and start performing really well considering where his come from, and to think i believe he can still get better.
To be able to cope with everything that occurred in his first 2 years shows A LOT of his mindset to be able to bounce back.
On ya KJAX!!!!!
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

If you use that list as a criteria to select your players, you couldn't be any more ill-equipped.

The fact that guys were all over the place from one year to the next in their evaluation should tell you something.

Well, those are profootballfocus.com numbers. They don't just look at stats, they watch the player. I don't know how those ratings are derived, but even though I thought Kareem had the talent to play in the NFL, I wasn't blind, he sucked.

Joe Flacco, he's got the talent to play in the NFL, Last Sunday he sucked.
Old 10-28-2012   #26
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let me correct myself, as my prior post was "overall ratings" and we're really talking about coverage rating when we discuss CBs.

Below is the 2010 worst coverage CBs*.

95 Marcus Trufant SEA 949 ...........-8.1
96 Jerraud Powers IND 596 ............-8.3
97 Kareem Jackson HST 908 ..........-8.8
98 Asher Allen MIN 709 .................-9.2
99 Cortland Finnegan TEN 1209 .....-10.0
100 Eric Wright CLV 727 ...............-10.1

*This is as much formatting I'll re-do as it takes forever to get everything to line up properly.
Neither list can be trusted.

One guy was rated #10 overall by Football Outsiders in YPP in the same year.
That alone should tell you to take any ranking with a grain of salt.
Old 10-28-2012   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Well, those are profootballfocus.com numbers. They don't just look at stats, they watch the player. I don't know how those ratings are derived, but even though I thought Kareem had the talent to play in the NFL, I wasn't blind, he sucked.

Joe Flacco, he's got the talent to play in the NFL, Last Sunday he sucked.
Yeah they watched the same players as you and I do, and I disagree with the view that KJ sucked in 2010.

He played just about to be expected as a rookie in that system.

I guess you weren't here (on this MB) last off-season when I said that the guys that sucked were no longer with the team (Wilson and Pollard.)
And that was Wade Phillips' decision.
Only thing I can say is that he agreed with me.
Old 10-28-2012   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He played just about to be expected as a rookie in that system.
I was here. I wouldn't have expected anyone to play well on that defense. individually we had some good talent, just didn't play well together.
Old 10-28-2012   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I was here. I wouldn't have expected anyone to play well on that defense. individually we had some good talent, just didn't play well together.
So what do think make sense?

Wade came in.
He watched the tapes.
Before even spending any time with these guys on the field, he let Wilson and Pollard walk and he said he will move Quin to safety.
Then they went out and get JJo and Manning.

If KJ sucked, it would make more sense to move him to safety instead of Quin because after all, everybody at least agree that he's a good tackler and can play with the ball in front of him.
Old 10-28-2012   #30
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Wade came in.
He watched the tapes.
Before even spending any time with these guys on the field, he let Wilson and Pollard walk and he said he will move Quin to safety.

If KJ sucked, it would make more sense to move him to safety instead of Quin because after all, everybody at least agree that he's a good tackler and can play with the ball in front of him.
Hey 76, i wanna give you props. You stood by kareem and defended his play staunchly the last couple of years. I know it wasnt always easy for you taking crap from as many people here as you did. I know a pass rush helps but just maybe kareem wasnt as bad as folks thought. Kudos.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012   #31
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
KJ is really maximizing his talents out there.

He has historically struggled most against taller, bigger WRs. (Duh) Not sure if we have a big enough sample size to evaluate on that front?
Ask Anquan Boldin what he thought last week during his 1 catch for 7 yards.
Old 10-28-2012   #32
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
Boldin is 6' ˝" & his best 40 yard dash was almost 10 years ago at 4.72 . Not big, not fast, still good.
Old 10-28-2012   #33
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
Actually KJ spent more time guarding Jacoby on the outside while Bolden spent alot of time in the slot covered by McCain
Old 10-28-2012   #34
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

<--- See Avi
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012   #35
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
<--- See Avi
That has to be a first.
Old 10-28-2012   #36
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Madd View Post
I agree it's too early for that, but I think it looking promising. I'm sure we all remember 2010 and these numbers are a vast improvement. Let's hope he continues this pace!
See, that's a good post. Measured, hopeful, admits he's on track with where Texans fans would want him to be by now.

You forgot to leave out scathing requests for crow to be eaten, other than that it was a great post.
Old 10-28-2012   #37
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
See, that's a good post. Measured, hopeful, admits he's on track with where Texans fans would want him to be by now.

You forgot to leave out scathing requests for crow to be eaten, other than that it was a great post.
Yes, he did.

So I'll add: Many servings of crow must be served!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012   #38
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I'll give it until the end of the season before commenting here.

His career is in its 3rd year, not even to the halfway point of that 3rd season...it's a bit premature to start the whole "I'm calling everyone out!" thread. Geez, let's fit the guy for a HOF jacket already I suppose. LOL.
You're right, it's too soon into his good play to start calling for him to be crowned.

It was also FAR too early for him to be crucified by members of this board half a year into his career.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012   #39
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

76, you called it a long time ago. Kudos to you and KJ.
Old 10-29-2012   #40
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Quote:

Wade came in.
He watched the tapes.

I think he saw what you saw, what I saw. Individually he saw talented players with the tools to do their job, but they weren't being asked to do what they were good at.

I still don't think Frank Bush was a bad DC from an Xs & Os POV. We saw what he was capable of doing in 2009. However, in 2010 the year started with a little adversity, not landing a veteran corner, loosing Bullman in the preseason, Cushing being suspended for 4 games, losing Barwin in the 1st qtr of game 1.

Frank Bush's biggest problem was not having the fortitude (read gnads) to continue attacking the LOS like he did in 2009. He took a team of downhill players & had them playing on their heels. I'm sure he also had the secondary "cover" for Kj. Instead of doing their own jobs, they were worried about our "weak-spot"

We gave up a lot of passing yards the first few games & it snowballed. Instead of recognizing the problem, the pass rush, he continued to try to get better at something we weren't built to do & the rules favoring the passing game wasn't helping.

Anytime we got behind in games, you could see he would change his MO & let the front 7 do what they do, play down hill attack the LOS & we would get back into games. Then he'd screw up & play coverage again.

We had one weak spot, the rookie corner. Not that he was bad, but that he was a rookie in a man/man system. Instead of going with that & letting the other 10 guys do what they were good at, he made us weak in all 11 spots.

I'm not a Kj hater, I've defended him since the day we drafted him, Smithiak has hit more times than not on the 1st & 2nd round picks. I watched the guy, he had the size, he had the speed, he had the tools. He played tough & without fear (confidence & fear are two totally different things). I saw all your screen shots of how the defense was "supposed" to play certain coverages & I agreed that your break downs made sense.

He played well for a rookie. But he sucked. Cushing Sucked, Quin (my favorite player) sucked, McCain sucked, Pollard sucked, Cody sucked, Mario sucked... If they played on the defense, they sucked in 2010.

Under a different screen name, before our play-off game against the Ravens, I said if I were Wade, I'd switch my corners. Even though Jjo normally locked up on the other teams #1, he was better suited to play the speedy Torry Smith & Kareem was better suited to play the more physical Bolden.

I'm not saying Wade listened to me, but he did make the switch & it worked out a lot better.

So I wrote all that, just to say this. Don't confuse me for all the Kj haters, I'm just being honest. In 2010 he sucked.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read