Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2012   #19
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ever Think the Cowboys Would Try to Mimic the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
Jerry has an interesting take on what the job description of a GM is...

The whole article HERE
Thanks for the find and for posting the link.

That's some of the dumbest s--t I've ever heard. He's essentially saying: I'm my own boss, so, that allows for more risk-taking, and that risk-taking will eventually pan out.

That makes no sense for several reasons.

1) Checks-and-balances. Everyone needs someone else to stop them from making dumb mistakes (i.e. when he traded a first rounder to Detroit a few years ago for, I believe, Roy Williams).

2) Jerry is too emotional to be GM. GM's needs to be somewhat logical and detached. That's how smart one's stop themselves from making dumb mistakes.

3) His "risk taking" hasn't paid off yet. Obviously, it's time to try another approach, yes?

4) Most GM's have a strong background in scouting. That allows them to see a player's potential more clearly. If Jerry had a REAL GM, the Cowboys would be looking ahead to their quarterbacking future. A real GM would have drafted a decent quarterback a couple of years ago with the idea towards developing him for the future.

If Jerry had any common sense, he'd realize that a GM could be brought in, and be allowed to be the "bad guy", shielding Jerry from backlash when tough decisions need to be made. For example: At SOME POINT, the Cowboys are going to have to deal with the truth about Tony Romo. Hiring a GM to come in and dump Romo would allow Jerry to save face with Romo and with fans. But, because he's too close to the situation, he can't see it clearly.

What a tool.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read