Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-27-2012   #21
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ever Think the Cowboys Would Try to Mimic the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
Jerry has an interesting take on what the job description of a GM is...

The whole article HERE
Thanks for the find and for posting the link.

That's some of the dumbest s--t I've ever heard. He's essentially saying: I'm my own boss, so, that allows for more risk-taking, and that risk-taking will eventually pan out.

That makes no sense for several reasons.

1) Checks-and-balances. Everyone needs someone else to stop them from making dumb mistakes (i.e. when he traded a first rounder to Detroit a few years ago for, I believe, Roy Williams).

2) Jerry is too emotional to be GM. GM's needs to be somewhat logical and detached. That's how smart one's stop themselves from making dumb mistakes.

3) His "risk taking" hasn't paid off yet. Obviously, it's time to try another approach, yes?

4) Most GM's have a strong background in scouting. That allows them to see a player's potential more clearly. If Jerry had a REAL GM, the Cowboys would be looking ahead to their quarterbacking future. A real GM would have drafted a decent quarterback a couple of years ago with the idea towards developing him for the future.

If Jerry had any common sense, he'd realize that a GM could be brought in, and be allowed to be the "bad guy", shielding Jerry from backlash when tough decisions need to be made. For example: At SOME POINT, the Cowboys are going to have to deal with the truth about Tony Romo. Hiring a GM to come in and dump Romo would allow Jerry to save face with Romo and with fans. But, because he's too close to the situation, he can't see it clearly.

What a tool.
houstonspartan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #22
majestrate
All Pro

Rep Power: 9427 majestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the Cowgirls are trying to mimic the Texans. Vickers was trying to show some leadership on the team and give his guys inspiration, showing that he's seen the backups come in and perform at the level the team needed when the starter went down.

You know the old "jokes" where the stuffy-shirt, pretentious white guys are all rubbing elbows and one says to the other, "hey, I'm friends with a black guy", or, to be more up to date, how some straight guys say "gays aren't so bad, I have a few friends that are gay"? That's how we sound when we're talking about Cowgirl fans, at least that's how it sounds to me. Not saying it's good or bad, just pointing it out. Personally, when Hugo Weaver's character, Agent Smith, was "classifying the human species" in The Matrix, I think he was talking about Cowgirl fans (and I do have a couple of friends that are Cowgirl fans)
majestrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #23
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Jerry Jones loudly proclaims he has the best GM in the NFL. He says if you don't believe him, just ask the owner.

Quote:
October 27, 2012
Jerry Jones says being owner leaves him free to risk losses as GM: 'I can ... come back for more'

One of the reasons Jerry Jones has job security as the Cowboys general manager is that he believes he is free to take risks, also being the owner.

“That is one of the luxuries of my position as owner as well as the ultimate decision maker, general manager and president – I can do that and take the losses and come back for more,” he said this week at Valley Ranch, talking about his management style.

“I have won with that style,” he said. “We are not managing a widow-woman’s retirement account here. In other words, to compete, I think we need to be aggressive. You play the game, you manage the game that way. You take some risks. When they don’t pay off, they look bad. That has happened.”
link
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #24
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Jerry hasn't pissed a drop since jimmy Johnson left(thanks to the Vikes)
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #25
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Like I said a while back, the Dallas Cowboys are Jerry Jones playing the Billionaire's version of Madden. He can do anything he wants. He can put together the most hair-brained trades he can think of -- the same hair-brained trades that fans get ridiculed for suggesting -- and there's no real accountability.

Until he fires himself, he's only going to put a good, consistent team on the field by sheer luck. He's going to have a team packed with great talent that most people don't want and he's going to ignore positions of need because they aren't sexy. His coach is not going to be in control of the locker room because all a player has to do is get in good with the GM to over-ride him.

And I've got no problem with that. Have a blast, Jerry.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Thanks for the find and for posting the link.

That's some of the dumbest s--t I've ever heard. He's essentially saying: I'm my own boss, so, that allows for more risk-taking, and that risk-taking will eventually pan out.

That makes no sense for several reasons.

1) Checks-and-balances. Everyone needs someone else to stop them from making dumb mistakes (i.e. when he traded a first rounder to Detroit a few years ago for, I believe, Roy Williams).

2) Jerry is too emotional to be GM. GM's needs to be somewhat logical and detached. That's how smart one's stop themselves from making dumb mistakes.

3) His "risk taking" hasn't paid off yet. Obviously, it's time to try another approach, yes?

4) Most GM's have a strong background in scouting. That allows them to see a player's potential more clearly. If Jerry had a REAL GM, the Cowboys would be looking ahead to their quarterbacking future. A real GM would have drafted a decent quarterback a couple of years ago with the idea towards developing him for the future.

If Jerry had any common sense, he'd realize that a GM could be brought in, and be allowed to be the "bad guy", shielding Jerry from backlash when tough decisions need to be made. For example: At SOME POINT, the Cowboys are going to have to deal with the truth about Tony Romo. Hiring a GM to come in and dump Romo would allow Jerry to save face with Romo and with fans. But, because he's too close to the situation, he can't see it clearly.

What a tool.
I don't think Jerry has a problem getting talent. He's got & has had a talented team, he's had talented coaches.

His biggest problem is that he's a circus, therefore his organization is a circus. He's more focused on the brand & lately, the brand has been more important than winning.

& the Cowboy brand is as big now as it ever was, so as a businessman, he's not doing a bad job. But, he needs to put the business aside & be a GM. If he focuses on football, he'll be successful.
Old 10-28-2012   #27
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53113 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I don't think Jerry has a problem getting talent. He's got & has had a talented team, he's had talented coaches.

His biggest problem is that he's a circus, therefore his organization is a circus. He's more focused on the brand & lately, the brand has been more important than winning.

& the Cowboy brand is as big now as it ever was, so as a businessman, he's not doing a bad job. But, he needs to put the business aside & be a GM. If he focuses on football, he'll be successful.
Jerry has a talented fantasy football team. He arguably has talent at skill positions but he disregards less glorious positions in the trenches. You build your team from inside out, not outside in. If you don't, you end up with the Cowboys, a team that can show flashes of brilliance, because they do have talented players, but also a team that can fall flat on its face because it is not fundamentally sound.

I agree that the Cowboy brand is as big as any, and if it does take a hit because of Jerry's incompetence as a GM, it will rebound as soon as the team shows new signs of improvement if a real GM is ever hired or if Jerry dies. I disagree that he needs to be the GM. He needs to stick with the business and hire a real GM. He WILL NOT be successful focusing on football... IMHO...
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012   #28
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post

Jerruh to Fiddler: Thank you, Fiddler. I'm already pursuing Rex as HC. I've given him strict instructions to leave the NY circus behind........except for Tebow who should be a great inspiration for Tony to find G-d and the EZ.
Old 10-28-2012   #29
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

This is what happens when most of the people in the stadium are corporate or high roller prima donnas........the only ones that seem to be able to readily afford Jerruh's palace.

Quote:
Dallas Cowboys send email to season-ticket holders asking fans to 'Stand Up and Shout' on third down

The Cowboys are 0-3 against the Giants at their new $1.2 billion stadium, but that might not be as embarrassing as this week’s “Stand Up and Shout” campaign that instructs their fans on how to cheer against the Giants.

In an email to season-ticket holders, the Dallas Cowboys Football Club touts a new third down graphic on the video board.

“When you see the video graphic playing on the video board, get on your feet and get LOUD! Together, we can make opposing teams dread coming to Cowboys Stadium,” the email says.
link

That big TELEVISION says WHAT???

Old 10-28-2012   #30
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 49241 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting given I'm neither corporate nor Prima Donna. The mix could be surprising.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012   #31
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Perhaps the most revealing example of the mentality of the Cowboys' fans I've seen in recent years was the morning after the Saints won the SB and I was looking at various websites of national newspapers about the Saints victory.
And if you recall the whole thing with NOLA and Katrina back then, it made the Saints SB win more than a sports story, rather it transcended sports and was a social story about what the game meant to the city of NOLA and the surrounding area.
Anyway all of the national newspapers were running stories about what the victory meant to a beleaguered city until I got to to the Dallas Morning News website which took the Saints story and used it as a segway into how the Cowboys could turn their franchise around. In other words it was always about their team, the Cowboys who to themselves were still the center of the NFL universe even just hours after the great Saints victory which lifted a whole area still struggling to recover from a monumental natural disaster and for which the whole nation (except for one place) shared the joy of the victory with the city of NOLA and its fans.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read