Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2012   #11
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3 Amigo Texan "BYE WEEK" Mock 2013 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
NT and OL , both guard and RT come to mind for me as potential uses for this years #1 pick.

OL specifically because the pick will more than likely be in the tail end of the round and that is the prime area to get value at RT and the cream of the crop interior guy's.

Add that to the loss of Butler and the right side being "just good enough" I'd really like to see improvement there .... Wade Smith is also aging and will need replacing. (when's his contract up?)
So much of what this offense does is dictated by how well the OL performs .... the running game has suffered significantly with the loss of Briesel and Winston.

NT - Cody's contract expires at the end of the year , I have to wonder if they can afford to keep him. He's also had back issues .... You guy's have filled that spot in round 2 , works for me , solid player who probably contributes early and often.

Thats what I was asking ... Is this your eventual replacement for AJ. I can get on board with that decision as it has to be addressed doing it sooner prepares for later.

I just have to wonder .... If one of Jean , Posey or Martin improves greatly over the final half of the season , will they spend that premium pick at the position.

Also in making that pick , someone has to go from this years group .... unless you think they keep six which reduces roster flexability.

Lastly , I have to wonder if Woods is still on the board when the Texans make their choice or if they might make a move up into the top 12 or so for Keenan Allen. (not likely considering the cost)

They havent spent a premium pick at the position in a decade ..... with only Jacoby Jones and Posey drafted in the 3rd or higher since AJ. Probably time they do ....

ILB is another spot I would consider spending a #1 on ..... Bradie James has been "Ok" and Cushing should return .... but behind them you have Dobbins who has filled in admirably and Sharpton .... who's done nothing , ever.
Just dont see an ILB who would be available when they pick that would be good value.
I think the prime OGs will be gone by the time we pick, and also, I am quite high on Brooks, and to a lesser extent Jones, and think he will be ready to start next year. As for RT, I could see going with one there. Matthews is definitely on my watch list.

However, we decided that Woods presents greater value. All things even, I rate a number 1 WR more than a number 1 RT. If one of the young WRs step up, then this obviously changes. I have doubts on that happening though.

I think the Texans can go with 6 WRs, since they all bring a little something different. AJ is the beast, Woods the future, Walter is Mr. Reliable, Jean is the big target, Martin is the returner/slot guy and Posey.., well, it sounds like the FO is high on the guy. If they are right (and obviously I hope they are) then WR becomes less of a need. By the end of the season/playoffs, we should have a better idea of Posey's future.

Re Keenan- personally, I like Woods better, but looking around the web and talking to people I seem to be in the minority. Thus, I think Allen goes before Woods, but I think we get the better player in this scenario.

I think you answered yourself on ILB. While we would like to address the position earlier, there is simply no value. Te'o will be gone, although I would trade up for him if possible. The others all have some question marks, and we all like how Jackson fits in the 3rd.

Last edited by rmartin65; 10-27-2012 at 11:00 AM.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read