Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-26-2012   #1
PandapuffTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 337 PandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default JJ Watts draft day.

Was googling about JJ's draft day, and ran into a article that was quiet comical.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsde...houston-lover/

Boy some people were so quick to write him off
PandapuffTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #2
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: JJ Watts draft day.

Watt posted this same link on twitter not that long ago, he really used this as motivation. Good for him (and good for us!)
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #3
DRP
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 DRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respected

It's awesome when the media has to eat their words, this guy was way off on everything he said in this article. It also sounded like he had a man crush on Fairley when he was writing this trash
DRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

There is also this gem in the article.

Quote:
He's more along the lines of the Texans' reclamation running back Arian Foster on the difficulty scale. And how's that turned out for Smith and Kubiak?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #5
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 40043 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You couldn't script a more perfect landing. And the Texans' now three-headed brain trust punted.

Something you still can't expect to see opposing offenses doing too much of in Reliant Stadium this fall. Not without Fairley, not without the star who was sent back to the sky.
Chris Baldwin unwittingly got this part right. Not much punting going on because tipped balls and forced fumbles become turn overs.
Old 10-26-2012   #6
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 112235 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans are giving me something I never felt as a professional sports fan in my life. Trust in ownership. I'm not crazy about Kubiak and never will be, but I trust the Texans front office. How cool is that??
Old 10-26-2012   #7
PandapuffTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 337 PandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
The Texans are giving me something I never felt as a professional sports fan in my life. Trust in ownership. I'm not crazy about Kubiak and never will be, but I trust the Texans front office. How cool is that??
Sometimes iii dobut kubiak but when it comes to draft picks overall weve done very well, our 2012 draft pick was odd figuring we lack depth at WR. but mercilus the few plays ive seen him seems to be very good. I hope Next years draft brings us antoher jewel but way season is turning out i dont see us getting first pick. Our frotn office actually cares about the team cant be said for alot of teams out there.. (cowgirls)
Sponsored links
Old 10-26-2012   #8
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 28606 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Some info on the Texans last 4 drafts. Not bad, especially compared to some of the other teams.

http://www.drafttek.com/Consolidated...n#.UItmpm_A8WM
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #9
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
There is also this gem in the article.
haah, 'ups'
Old 10-27-2012   #10
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think this Chris Baldwin was the only one who didn't like the pick. I remember hearing a lot of boos from the crowd at the draft party at Reliant when Watt's name was announced. I trust Smith, Kubes, and Wade to make a better draft selection for their system than any yahoo sportswriter or average football fan out there. I might scratch my head sometimes at their pick and say what the heck are they doing, but I've learned to trust their judgement.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #11
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I don't think this Chris Baldwin was the only one who didn't like the pick. I remember hearing a lot of boos from the crowd at the draft party at Reliant when Watt's name was announced. I trust Smith, Kubes, and Wade to make a better draft selection for their system than any yahoo sportswriter or average football fan out there. I might scratch my head sometimes at their pick and say what the heck are they doing, but I've learned to trust their judgement.
I was at that same draft party and you are correct about the boos. Amukamara and Fairley were the two guys the crowd wanted.
Old 10-27-2012   #12
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post

This^^^^^^^

I wanted Fairley but when the pick was made I trusted the FO. I was not mad just curious. Now I know why I cut trees for a living and they evaluate football talent for a living. And recently they've been doing a good job at it.
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #13
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The interesting thing about the first round picks in the Kubiak era is that the ones that were most heavily criticized were the ones that have worked out the best.

2006: Mario over Bush and VY. I don't think there's ever been more criticism for a #1 overall pick in the history of the league. Mario worked out well enough to snag a $100,000,000 contract.

2007: Amobi Okoye. Not that much criticism at the time, though there are legions of folks who later claimed they were for drafting Patrick Willis all along. General consensus was that nobody thought he'd be there for the Texans' pick.

2008: Duane Brown. Widely seen as an unwarranted reach, but he's now one of the premier players at a premium position.

2009: Brian Cushing. "I hate this pick with the fire of a thousand suns" or something like that was the general feeling.

2010: Kareem Jackson. Some thought he was a reach, but the criticism was pretty mild. Like Brown, he took some time to develop, though it is too soon to tell if he's really turned the corner the way Brown did a couple years ago.

2011: Watt. We know that deal.

Too soon to tell on Mercilus, but I really like how he's being worked into the rotation recently.

If any fan base should trust its folks on draft day (at least in Round 1), it should be ours.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #14
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23440 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Still, they couldn't bring themselves to take a chance with the 11th pick in the draft. Instead of going big, instead of grabbing the best defensive player in the draft (a guy who Mel Kiper was touting as the No. 1 overall pick not long ago), the Texans played it safe and went with the pizza boy

Watt is a great story. But it's hard to imagine him ever being a star. It's hard to see him changing games for Houston on defense
[i]

I like these quotes. Wonder what he thinks now?
Old 10-27-2012   #15
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
The interesting thing about the first round picks in the Kubiak era is that the ones that were most heavily criticized were the ones that have worked out the best.

2006: Mario over Bush and VY. I don't think there's ever been more criticism for a #1 overall pick in the history of the league. Mario worked out well enough to snag a $100,000,000 contract.

2007: Amobi Okoye. Not that much criticism at the time, though there are legions of folks who later claimed they were for drafting Patrick Willis all along. General consensus was that nobody thought he'd be there for the Texans' pick.

2008: Duane Brown. Widely seen as an unwarranted reach, but he's now one of the premier players at a premium position.

2009: Brian Cushing. "I hate this pick with the fire of a thousand suns" or something like that was the general feeling.

2010: Kareem Jackson. Some thought he was a reach, but the criticism was pretty mild. Like Brown, he took some time to develop, though it is too soon to tell if he's really turned the corner the way Brown did a couple years ago.

Too soon to tell on Mercilus, but I really like how he's being worked into the rotation recently.

If any fan base should trust its folks on draft day (at least in Round 1), it should be ours.
Good post. Ive been surprised by most of these picks, but not upset about all of them. I was really wrong about Cushing and Okoye (i liked him) it's starting to look like I was wrong about Kareem as well. I wanted Kyle Wilson.

I remember reading a lot of scouting reports about Watt and liking him. At the time, Mario was assumed to be a defensive end in Wade's scheme. I dismissed him as a draft possibility. When we picked him I felt like he was a safe selection and not the "sexy pick" to impress fans.

Our recent draft history has been so much better then the snake oil Casserly used to sale and i'm grateful.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #16
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 28606 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
a guy who Mel Kiper was touting as the No. 1 overall pick not long ago
That's why Mel Kiper is doing the draft for espn, and not for an NFL team.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #17
PandapuffTexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans Sux 72 View Post
This^^^^^^^

I wanted Fairley but when the pick was made I trusted the FO. I was not mad just curious. Now I know why I cut trees for a living and they evaluate football talent for a living. And recently they've been doing a good job at it.
where you work? I to cut trees, Im ISA certfied and working toward aborist license.
Old 10-27-2012   #18
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post

Not bad first round picks at all. I give it an A-. The - being Amobi.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #19
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

In all fairness, did anyone like the JJ Watt pick? I know I wasn't all that impressed. Was anyone?

It was Wade's first pick as DC, and it was the first round, and we all expected a big splash. We didn't get one, and very few people were impressed, including myself.

Clearly, we were all wrong.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #20
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
In all fairness, did anyone like the JJ Watt pick? I know I wasn't all that impressed. Was anyone?

It was Wade's first pick as DC, and it was the first round, and we all expected a big splash. We didn't get one, and very few people were impressed, including myself.

Clearly, we were all wrong.
I liked it. He was my second choice. I wanted Robert Quinn as my first choice, who is also tearing it up this year with the Rams.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read