Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-26-2012   #21
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: JJ Watt in the future.

If JJ continues as he is, no way will Bob McNair ever - EVER - let him go. EVER. McNair will write JJ a blank check and tell him to fill in the amount.

JJ will remain a Texan for life.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #22
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandapuffTexan View Post
doesnt cap go up if a team makes it to superbowl? isnt cap based off sales?
No.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

So in retrospect JJ Watt has answered questions about his athleticism - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCjtE7O1UBo

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #24
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
for watt means

Goodbye Shawn COdy

-anywayz i think over time anywayz these players will be gone since there not in the long term plans

- Brady jamies
-DObbins /SHarpton
- Conner barwin
-Manning

next years draft we are deff going to draft a Stud ILB and maybe FS and also maybe need a Stud NT
Long term plans??

Smith signed Manning to a 5 year deal! That's pretty long term if you ask me.

As for Cody, I doubt his money would cut into watts. I'm not saying they will keep Cody, but if they do cut him, it won't be because they need the money for Watt. Cody just simply will not command much money up front.

The rest of your list will depend on if Wade stays here. If Dobbins does well, I think we keep him. He is cheap, and so is James. But idk how likely we are to keep him. He has improved though. I agree about Sharpton though. He was good, just can't stay healthy.

Oh, I forgot Barwin. If Barwin leaves, it is because he wouldn't sign on with us. He won't command much money as we thought he would, but it wouldn't surprise me if we don't resign him just because Merciless looks like he will be the starter next year. But that's next year. We still gotta worry about this year!

I do agree with you on the drafting. I think our top priority going in is an ILB that can play along side Cush. A FS in the third might be good, we could get Manning to teach him, and it would be good depth with Manning, and Nolan.

I don't know if we take a NT though. Wade enjoys the smaller guys, and Cody and Mitchell seem to fit what he wants to do. I guess we will see.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #25
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

There's a big difference between Mario's situation and Watts situation most likely?
I would say at this point Watt is playing healthy and at a way higher level than Mario has to start a season.
Also Mario had a lot of other players that were more impactful to the team heading into FA the following year which meant Mario had to be expendable.

So I would say it depends on the health of JJ + his impact to our team (can we play great D without him) + what's the FA situation for the team overall at that point.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #26
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
There's a big difference between Mario's situation and Watts situation most likely?
I would say at this point Watt is playing healthy and at a way higher level than Mario has to start a season.
Also Mario had a lot of other players that were more impactful to the team heading into FA the following year which meant Mario had to be expendable.

So I would say it depends on the health of JJ + his impact to our team (can we play great D without him) + what's the FA situation for the team overall at that point.
OK. 200 million

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-26-2012   #27
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Is this the thread where everyone smokes crack and then posts?

Anyways, we don't have to worry about Watt going anywhere. He's a good guy, and is on a rookie deal for another few years. Rotoworld: 7/31/2011: Signed a four-year, $11.23 million contract. The deal included a $6.67 million signing bonus. 2012: $885,795, 2013: $1,396,590, 2014: $1,907,385, 2015: Free Agent

"So watt will happen in 2015" you might ask, well lemme show you.

Quote:
Contracts for first-round picks would be a fixed four years in length, with teams holding options for the fifth year. If the team chooses to exercise that option a year early, after the contract's third year, the fifth-year option salary is guaranteed to the player.

Each rookie would likely receive a standard slotted salary in the first four seasons, and then the option year's wage would depend on the player's draft slot.

The top 10 picks would receive a salary equal to the average of the top 10 salaries at their respective positions. Picks No. 11 through No. 32 would get the average of the Nos. 3 through 25 salaries at their positions.
Link

Lucky for the Texans, Watt was pick number 11. So after his third year (2013/14 offseason), I expect the Texans to exercise this 5th year option on Watt and lock him down for an extra year for relatively cheap. In 2009-2010, the 3-25 total salary (bonuses included) average of defensive ends was 7.2 million. That number will be higher in 2015, and probably around 9 million.

Come 2016, who knows how much he will be worth then, but if he has several All-Pro honors, defensive player of the year, and possibly an MVP on his mantle, he could get a Mario Williams type of deal. Or he might just get franchised for 10+ million. Lots of options for the team to retain him, but that 5th year rookie option is very helpful to the team, as it works like an extra franchise tag, without actually using the tag. In any case, I can't see Watt getting away from the Texans, so I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy the season, and the seasons to come, Watt will be a Texan for a loooooong time.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #28
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post

The thread? As in singular? C'mon man!
Old 10-26-2012   #29
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i just said manning cause i think that positon can be upgraded nothing on him hes pretty good but thats just how i feel plus hes a F/A and older and our team likes to Hit on a good young draft pick that they can mold fast into a starting position

if u can get more then half your team 2 -3 year vets that are starters that play at a highhhhhh level thats a plus and thats the goal not a team full of free agents
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #30
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166359 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Exactly how far in the future are we talking about?

Repped for the modified Forbidden Planet poster.
(you know I'm a sucker for classic SciFi!)

Although a future J.J. Watt brings this dude to my mind...

He was from the future too, ya know...

and then there's that whole "man of few words" thing they have in common.
...and the haircut.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #31
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
i just said manning cause i think that positon can be upgraded nothing on him hes pretty good but thats just how i feel plus hes a F/A and older and our team likes to Hit on a good young draft pick that they can mold fast into a starting position

if u can get more then half your team 2 -3 year vets that are starters that play at a highhhhhh level thats a plus and thats the goal not a team full of free agents
Norg, you have no idea what you're talking about.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #32
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post

Anyways, we don't have to worry about Watt going anywhere. He's a good guy, and is on a rookie deal for another few years. Rotoworld: 7/31/2011: Signed a four-year, $11.23 million contract. The deal included a $6.67 million signing bonus. 2012: $885,795, 2013: $1,396,590, 2014: $1,907,385, 2015: Free Agent

"So watt will happen in 2015" you might ask, well lemme show you.

Link

Lucky for the Texans, Watt was pick number 11. So after his third year (2013/14 offseason), I expect the Texans to exercise this 5th year option on Watt and lock him down for an extra year for relatively cheap. In 2009-2010, the 3-25 total salary (bonuses included) average of defensive ends was 7.2 million. That number will be higher in 2015, and probably around 9 million.

Come 2016, who knows how much he will be worth then, but if he has several All-Pro honors, defensive player of the year, and possibly an MVP on his mantle, he could get a Mario Williams type of deal. Or he might just get franchised for 10+ million. Lots of options for the team to retain him, but that 5th year rookie option is very helpful to the team, as it works like an extra franchise tag, without actually using the tag. In any case, I can't see Watt getting away from the Texans, so I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy the season, and the seasons to come, Watt will be a Texan for a loooooong time.
Agree. Watt ain't going anywhere. Let's relax and enjoy him play.
Old 10-27-2012   #33
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
Anyone notice how much Antonio Smith looks like Robbie the Robot?

TJ
Is that Mario Williams carrying a dead Charlie Casserly? LOL.
Old 10-27-2012   #34
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthx View Post
So first off I want to state I know this is awhile off but its the bye week so I have been thinking about some other random stuff related to the Texans.

If Mario Williams commanded a 100 million dollar contract (even if he was overpaid quite a bit) with his history of the being hurt and somewhat mediocre games what is JJ going to get when his contract comes time to renew. If he keeps up this level of play, if he is still this good in a few years do the Texans need to start saving up money to keep this guy this season? Who else is going to have to be a victim of our cap space problems in order to keep JJ, and how rough is the year leading up to his contract going to be as far as cutting some serious players from our roster. Again just a sorta random thought thread, take it as you may.
teams tend to lock up guys they want and let the guys like Mario walk...at least the ones that make good decisions. Fortunately our team seems to be one of them currently.

On the greater topic of cost...a league MVP type of player will make serious bank. It's ok to pay those guys because they are worth it. Where you get into trouble is paying guys like David Carr top dollar (or Mario Williams) and getting average player return on investment (c-Buffalo). When you do this kind of stuff you end up letting quality go to keep overpaid crap.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #35
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
teams tend to lock up guys they want and let the guys like Mario walk...at least the ones that make good decisions. Fortunately our team seems to be one of them currently.

On the greater topic of cost...a league MVP type of player will make serious bank. It's ok to pay those guys because they are worth it. Where you get into trouble is paying guys like David Carr top dollar (or Mario Williams) and getting average player return on investment (c-Buffalo). When you do this kind of stuff you end up letting quality go to keep overpaid crap.
True. However, bad and mediocre teams often have to overpay to get players. It's the vicious cycle of bad team-itis. The Texans were on that treadmill for several years, and the Bills are currently there. Chicago passed on Mario because they could.
Old 10-27-2012   #36
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post

On the greater topic of cost...a league MVP type of player will make serious bank. It's ok to pay those guys because they are worth it. Where you get into trouble is paying guys like David Carr top dollar (or Mario Williams) and getting average player return on investment. When you do this kind of stuff you end up letting quality go to keep overpaid crap.
Rep 4 overpaid crap

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-27-2012   #37
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1975 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

If Watt keeps up his pace, he'll be the the first defensive player to win league MVP since LT in the 80s. That fact alone will give his agent all the fuel he needs to have Watt's contract restructured in the near future.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #38
beerlover
Site Contributor

If the McNair's are serious about retaining JJ Watt is minority stake ownership out of the question?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-27-2012   #39
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
OK. 200 million
I just crunched the numbers and if Mario is worth 100 million, then Watt is worth 6.7 trillion dollars.......
Old 10-27-2012   #40
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I just crunched the numbers and if Mario is worth 100 million, then Watt is worth 6.7 trillion dollars.......
Let's file that under "Reports We Don't Want JJ Watt to See."

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read