Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-26-2012   #21
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Johnson: Declining, Evolving, Or Victim of Dominance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
This ain't Twitter. Folks communicate using complete sentences around here.
Sometimes.
Old 10-26-2012   #22
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Sometimes.
I c wut u did der
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #23
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
That's called a short attention span. Nothing he can do to help you with that.
Adderall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
It's a growing trend around here. had comments and negative rep from people who couldn't wrap their heads around what I wrote or who felt like more than three sentences was an English assignment.

One clown's comment was "You write too much". I thought "Yeah, well you don't read enough!"
I don't give out neg rep...

...but when I do, it's because you told me the names of these fools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I don't think anything is wrong as much as the offensive make up of this team is different.

Andre doesn't have to go off and have 100 yd plus and a score or two for this offense to go. This offense goes through Arian Foster now. Defenses definitely still respect him. When Schaub and the offense feeds him the ball in the passing game he can carry the load. He just doesn't have to and that makes this offense considerably more dangerous.

I think he's more than capable of having a big game and will when the teams calls on him for it. Until then..sleeping giant.
I agree completely. While AJ is certainly getting older, I think the simple fact that this offense has so many options has more to do with his declining numbers than anything else.

And that's a good thing. Don't wear him out during the 16 game schedule, because I have no doubt 'beast mode' will be tapped into during the post-season. Dude waited a long time for 2011 to happen, and I'm sure he's looking forward to another couple of playoff games in 2012.
Old 10-26-2012   #24
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

He has slowed down some and is not the WR he once was. That has nothing to do with the rest of the Texans team however the rest of the Texans team might have an impact on his numbers or lack there of. He is still very good and a great teammate to have
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #25
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I agree completely. While AJ is certainly getting older, I think the simple fact that this offense has so many options has more to do with his declining numbers than anything else.

And that's a good thing. Don't wear him out during the 16 game schedule, because I have no doubt 'beast mode' will be tapped into during the post-season. Dude waited a long time for 2011 to happen, and I'm sure he's looking forward to another couple of playoff games in 2012.
I don't see the same player. He isn't exploding out of his breaks like he used to. I think he will still be productive but the days of Andre being one of the best WR's in football are behind him if this is how he is going to play going forward. Kubiak will scheme up a few tricky plays and bust him open but we haven't seen him make many big plays that didn't have some play action or the defense getting fooled via scheme.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #26
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
What 31 year old runs as fast as they did at 21?

The answer? None!

He's still too big, too strong and too quick for most guys to hold him down. Whatever step he's lost he can still make up for with his work ethic and experience. In other words, he ain't done yet.
Besides guys like Tyson Gay and Justin Gatlin?

30 should not, and does not, automatically mean an athlete loses a step. Does AJ appear slower? At times. Is this due to age or coming back from injury, I don't know. I firmly believe he rushed back last year, and I wonder if there might be long term consequences for that.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #27
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I don't see the same player. He isn't exploding out of his breaks like he used to. I think he will still be productive but the days of Andre being one of the best WR's in football are behind him if this is how he is going to play going forward. Kubiak will scheme up a few tricky plays and bust him open but we haven't seen him make many big plays that didn't have some play action or the defense getting fooled via scheme.
Yeah, I've noticed this, too. He's not getting separation like he used to. I accepted the fact last season that he's not going to be the best WR in football for the rest of his career.

But, I think he's still got good hands and ability to overpower defenders at times. He's not the deep threat that he used to be, but I think he's good enough that defenses will still account for him.

However, a solid CB can cover him now, like we saw with Cromartie in the Jets game. AJ would have dominated a guy like that a few years ago, but Cromartie was putting up a Revis performance that night. Fortunately, we do not need AJ to win games, so his diminished skills will not hurt us as much as it would have in 2009.

Age and injuries are the great equalizers in football, as always. Nobody, not even the greatest of greats, can beat that simple fact of life.
Old 10-26-2012   #28
417Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4299 417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, I've noticed this, too. He's not getting separation like he used to. I accepted the fact last season that he's not going to be the best WR in football for the rest of his career.

But, I think he's still got good hands and ability to overpower defenders at times. He's not the deep threat that he used to be, but I think he's good enough that defenses will still account for him.

However, a solid CB can cover him now, like we saw with Cromartie in the Jets game. AJ would have dominated a guy like that a few years ago, but Cromartie was putting up a Revis performance that night. Fortunately, we do not need AJ to win games, so his diminished skills will not hurt us as much as it would have in 2009.

Age and injuries are the great equalizers in football, as always. Nobody, not even the greatest of greats, can beat that simple fact of life.

AJ still is a all pro in my book and will make big time plays when the post season comes around.
417Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #29
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing is that even with the loss of a step, AJ is such an amazing route runner that he can still get free against most CBs. There have been several times this year where if Matt just had a split second more, he would have been able to hit a wide open AJ for a TD.

AJ is smart enough to compensate for his beginning to lose his speed as long as he's healthy.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #30
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree with you and Vinny. The uncomfortable feeling I have is not knowing for sure if he will get some better, worse or continue to have injuries causing chunks of games missed. I also realize he is one of those players that some posters will allow no criticism. What he is or will become has nothing to do with what he was. Still, a wise Ric Smith should have a plan to replace AJ on the field before the end of days.
Old 10-26-2012   #31
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16557 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i would say ok in a few years lets just trade him but since we gave him the HUGE contract I dont know and i know doing that would prob not go over to well with the sheep fans but u know This would be just biz nass nothing personal

i hope tho he retires a texan so i dont know what the Front office is going 2 do

i know we prob going to have to draft another .... WR ..... or a TE
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #32
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

It isn't more of combination of everything?

Yeah, AJ may lost a step and of course it does come with age. However, we run more than we used to in comparison with a few yrs ago. We spread pass to TE , RB, HB and other WR to keep opposite D thinking and off balanced. Our O is unpredictable now than in the past.

If we are pass happy O and AJ is the go to guy, I am certain that he will put up some # for you.(may not be 2K or 1.5k but over 1k easy) However, we are focused on winning games and ultimately bringing Lombardi trophy in Houston.

What I am trying to say is due to our scheme(running first) and no need to throw deep ball that often as we have enough weapons on O side for mid range pass when needed. We don't have to rely so much on AJ production and not to mention keep AJ in heathy condition until post season.

If I had a team of my own, I would be more than happy to have AJ as my #1 WR!

Go Texans!!! Edited got too excited on this thread and needed to fix my post.

Last edited by SAMURAITEXAN; 10-26-2012 at 10:56 PM.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #33
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
It isn't more of combination of everything?

Yeah, AJ may lost a step and of course it does come with age. However, we run more than we used to in comparison with a few yrs ago. We spread pass to TE , RB, HB and other WR to keep opposite D thinking and off balanced. Our O is unpredictable now than in the past.

If we are pass happy O and AJ is the go to guy, I am certain that he will put up some # for you.(may not be 2K or 1.5k but over 1k easy) However, we are focused on winning games and ultimately bringing Lombardi trophy in Houston.

What I am trying to say is due to our scheme(running fast) not occasionally throwing deep ball and we have enough weapons on O side, we don't have to rely so much on AJ production and not to mention keep AJ in heathy condition until post season.

If I had a team my own, I would be more than happy to have AJ as our #1 WR!

Go Texans!!!
Yeah... your #1 WR doesn't need to be a speed guy, just a dependable guy who will get open, has rapport with the QB, and can make the tough catches.

...See Marvin Harrison or Cris Carter...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #34
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
i would say ok in a few years lets just trade him but since we gave him the HUGE contract I dont know and i know doing that would prob not go over to well with the sheep fans but u know This would be just biz nass nothing personal

i hope tho he retires a texan so i dont know what the Front office is going 2 do

i know we prob going to have to draft another .... WR ..... or a TE
I don't think you trade a player like AJ and I don't think McNair wants to. I think he wants him to retire a Texan and be the 1st Texan in the NFL HOF. The only thing I see that would make them trade him is if AJ wants to play long after everyone knows he can't physically do it anymore. And, if the Texans win a SB in the next couple of years, I think AJ will be happy enough with that to not play when his physical tools are gone. There's nothing more sad than an athlete, or anyone else for that matter, who doesn't know when to "hang it up."
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #35
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue View Post
I literally LOLed at this.
That's funny stuff Herv.
MSR.
Got him
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #36
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Jerry Rice < Andre Johnson!!!

Andre did it on way worse teams thsn the old 49's teams..
Old 10-27-2012   #37
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 57330 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Jerry Rice < Andre Johnson!!!

Andre did it on way worse teams thsn the old 49's teams..
Bill, you're fun when you're drunk, but Rice was the greatest of all time. Andre is still a beast but Jerry Rice was a once in a lifetime athlete.
Old 10-27-2012   #38
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Bill, you're fun when you're drunk, but Rice was the greatest of all time. Andre is still a beast but Jerry Rice was a once in a lifetime athlete.
yeah, Rice is the all-time NFL leader in catches, TD's, and yardage. Andre has been great but he was never a great yac guy or a guy who scored many TD's (some of that is yac related - some of that is his QB to be fair). Rice blows him away in his ability to run with the ball and score.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #39
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I don't think anything is wrong as much as the offensive make up of this team is different.

Andre doesn't have to go off and have 100 yd plus and a score or two for this offense to go. This offense goes through Arian Foster now. Defenses definitely still respect him. When Schaub and the offense feeds him the ball in the passing game he can carry the load. He just doesn't have to and that makes this offense considerably more dangerous.

I think he's more than capable of having a big game and will whe nthe teams calls on him for it. Until then..sleeping giant.
I see it as a combination of a lot of things.

The same thing happened during the off-season when some folks thought that the Texans also need a #2 WR to replace Walter.

They said Walter is no longer capable of getting open on the outside; well, he showed that he can still can.

The same thing goes for AJ.
I had mentioned how when we played the Raiders, Asomugha+a safety > AJ.
The same goes with Cromartie+a safety > AJ
The same goes with some CB+a safety > Megatron

When two guys don't make mistake, it's impossible for a WR to beat them by himself. And he would need good help from his QB often.

Everybody declines with age, that's for sure.
In this case, it's not quite the age (even though it does contribute a good part to the equation), but it's more the nagging injuries.

So far, I don't see it as a hindrance to his game.
He's being targeted the least number of times since he's been here and he's still on the way to a 1K season.

444/7*16= 1,015

I think it's a good idea to monitor his health and his snap counts; we're going to need him in the play-offs as some have already suggested.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #40
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I don't think you trade a player like AJ and I don't think McNair wants to. I think he wants him to retire a Texan and be the 1st Texan in the NFL HOF. The only thing I see that would make them trade him is if AJ wants to play long after everyone knows he can't physically do it anymore. And, if the Texans win a SB in the next couple of years, I think AJ will be happy enough with that to not play when his physical tools are gone. There's nothing more sad than an athlete, or anyone else for that matter, who doesn't know when to "hang it up."
Good post.

I would love very much for that to happen.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read