Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-25-2012   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Tebow voted Most Overrated Player by peers

Based on 180 NFL players who responded.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012   #2
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tebow voted Most Overrated Player by peers

Most overhyped yes... overrated, no..

How can you be overrated when you do not play.. He isn't paid insane dollars and not living up to the salary, that is overrated.... It's the same people polled that also ranked him in the top 100... this ranking thing is overrated !!
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012   #3
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29231 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post

How can you be overrated when you do not play.. He isn't paid insane dollars and not living up to the salary, that is overrated.... It's the same people polled that also ranked him in the top 100... this ranking thing is overrated !!
TOTALLY agree. Was just about to write the same thing. Tebow gets too much media attention. But, one has to play before they're considered overrated, IMO.
houstonspartan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012   #4
LondonTex
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3606 LondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
TOTALLY agree. Was just about to write the same thing. Tebow gets too much media attention. But, one has to play before they're considered overrated, IMO.
Agree with both of you on this. He's not exactly been inundated with snaps to make a fair judgement. - I still think he made a mistake going to the Jets in the first place. He's being called overrated when he's spending all of his time playing second fiddle to a player of whom, I'm certain, is overrated IMO. Not for a second saying Tim should be QB1 @ the Jets - to be honest I wouldn't know what his best position would be as I haven't seen enough of him. I just think he made a bad move choosing them in the first place if he wants what's best for his career.
Old 10-25-2012   #5
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, maybe not THIS year but last year he was getting plenty of snaps. I think that is more on the minds of players then what has transpired this yer.

Is his lack of snaps an indictment of his ability to get hold of an offense or a team that made the splashy trade to get him and don't use him "properly"?

I guess when I hear "overrated" I think how much a player gets credit for (or hyped) vs his real impact over time.

Last year.. I would say he was.

This year ironically say Sanchez has taken the mantle considering his team just sunk quite a bit into his extension and he's struggling still even after the supposed simplifying of the offense by Haley.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm kinda' surprised that Mario is not on the list. No disrespect intended, but c'mon, $100 million for that guy? Dude is worth a fraction of the amount. Laughable that Bills fans / media were hyping him as the second coming of Bruce Smith.
Old 10-25-2012   #7
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87001 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Wasn't he on the top-50 players list as voted by his peers just last season?
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2012   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I vote Mario Williams, Tim Tebow...and the Lions defensive line.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I kind of see Tebow as like VY when people first started to realize that he is just not good (even though it's for very different reasons). Haven't watched him much at all though.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012   #10
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonTex View Post
Agree with both of you on this. He's not exactly been inundated with snaps to make a fair judgement. - I still think he made a mistake going to the Jets in the first place. He's being called overrated when he's spending all of his time playing second fiddle to a player of whom, I'm certain, is overrated IMO. Not for a second saying Tim should be QB1 @ the Jets - to be honest I wouldn't know what his best position would be as I haven't seen enough of him. I just think he made a bad move choosing them in the first place if he wants what's best for his career.
Two things:

1. Tebow was traded to the Jets, I don't think he had much say in where he went. The Broncos wanted to get the most out of him and offload his contract to make way for Peyton. They accomplished that.

2. If Tebow did have a say in it, where do you think he has the most to gain, Jax or NYC? NYC builds his brand immensely, and given that his playing career could be over in a couple years, why not make the most of this time and be king of the Big Apple for a few years? I think he made the right choice, he will be an icon for years to come by going to NYC over anywhere else.

He's definitely overrated, but I don't think he cares one bit. He will continue to do his thing as well as he can, but he's making millions more outside of the NFL because he's in NYC.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012   #11
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126616 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Gonna have to agree, that and I'm pissed at this a-hole because he's now trying to get a patent on dropping to one knee to pray. He is hardly the inventor of it and needs a beat down if he's trying to collect a royalty each time someone drops to one knee to praise their God.

I DO however take issue with the Ray Lewis thing. Anyone who thinks that Ray Lewis is over rated needs to run directly at him with a football a few times.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012   #12
LondonTex
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3606 LondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Two things:

1. Tebow was traded to the Jets, I don't think he had much say in where he went. The Broncos wanted to get the most out of him and offload his contract to make way for Peyton. They accomplished that.

2. If Tebow did have a say in it, where do you think he has the most to gain, Jax or NYC? NYC builds his brand immensely, and given that his playing career could be over in a couple years, why not make the most of this time and be king of the Big Apple for a few years? I think he made the right choice, he will be an icon for years to come by going to NYC over anywhere else.

He's definitely overrated, but I don't think he cares one bit. He will continue to do his thing as well as he can, but he's making millions more outside of the NFL because he's in NYC.
You could well be right but I believe he passed on Jax which might have been a mistake - not saying it would definetley have worked out but the potential was there for it to have been a good move for both the Jags (who havent exactly had much to be excited about) and Tebow. Being a local boy would have probably meant an increase in fans (imagine he was the major draw for 8 sold out home games)... I would guess he would draw a lot more fans to Everbank than usual. I read somewhere that the extra revenue he would bring in to the Jags in tickets sales and huge amounts of merch sales would put him in a good bargaining position to triple his salary from the $1.9 he gets at the Jets. Also the Jags would more then likley play to his strengths (whatever they are) which would = a happy Tebow.....The Jags fans would more than likley adore him to cult status proportions.

Of course, all this is all 'what if'. I'm still learning about the ins and outs of NFL contracts and the intrcicies of how NFL franchises do business so I could be way off base here.
Old 10-26-2012   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Gonna have to agree, that and I'm pissed at this a-hole because he's now trying to get a patent on dropping to one knee to pray. He is hardly the inventor of it and needs a beat down if he's trying to collect a royalty each time someone drops to one knee to praise their God.
Wow. I have not heard that he's trying patent it. That's just sad.

Quote:
I DO however take issue with the Ray Lewis thing. Anyone who thinks that Ray Lewis is over rated needs to run directly at him with a football a few times.
I agree.

Side story: I met Antowain Smith recently. He's a salesman in my industry (very cool to hold one of his Patriots Super Bowl rings!).

Anyway, I asked him about Ray Lewis. He said dude is even more intense than what we see on tv. He said the scary thing is knowing that you are about to be handed the rock on a running play, and Ray is calling out the play before the hike and filling the gap that you are supposed to run through. He just prayed that the QB would audible in those situations, because he knew that he wasn't getting by Ray Lewis.

He said Ray is a hard hitter, but the hardest he's ever been hit was during his rookie season. Steve Atwater knocked the sense out of him and he's pretty sure that he suffered a concussion before even hitting the ground. He actually cringed telling me that story.
Old 10-26-2012   #14
LondonTex
Site Contributor

Quote:
Agree with this also. (Not that I've ever had the pleasure of running at him - I place a certain degree of value on my life lol)
Old 10-26-2012   #15
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Did you happen to read the whole article? Tim Tebow doesn't want anyone profiting off 'tebowing', which some people have tried to do.

Quote:
Last December, the owners of both Tebowing.com and TebowingGear.com both filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Within weeks, Tebow’s legal reps sent letters of protest, and both their applications have since been declared dead. Now his own has finally gone through; and while it won’t keep people from Tebowing, it will keep anybody else from profiting from it.
Link
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329810 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Side story: I met Antowain Smith recently. He's a salesman in my industry (very cool to hold one of his Patriots Super Bowl rings!)...
Cool DB. I met him on a spring afternoon after he had gotten his ring and he sat down and hung out with us for a while at Sam's Boat. He left his entourage to hang with us. Real nice guy.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read