Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-21-2012   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rookie G Ben Jones gets the start today

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Quote:
RG Ben Jones, who's making his 1st-career start today, is the 1st rookie to start for the #Texans this season
Go out there and bust some chops, rook!
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rookie G Ben Jones gets the start today

From what I noticed he was very solid in run-blocking, for most part Schaub also had good protection so assume he was OK there as well. No penalties or false starts, looking stronger each week. We'll see in a couple weeks after bye if he continues to start.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Did he get the start? I know they announced him as a starter, but I thought Caldwell played the first series.
Old 10-21-2012   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Did he get the start? I know they announced him as a starter, but I thought Caldwell played the first series.
I saw Caldwell out there early also but was unaware that Jones was to start. OL seemed to protect Schaub & gave him time but did not do so well run blocking imo.
Old 10-21-2012   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought Caldwell came out for the 3rd series. I'm pretty sure Jones was out there for the first one.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I thought Caldwell came out for the 3rd series. I'm pretty sure Jones was out there for the first one.
Our first two series were so short, you might be right.
Old 10-22-2012   #7
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Did Brandon Brooks play at all today behind Jones?
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-22-2012   #8
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
Did Brandon Brooks play at all today behind Jones?
I don't think Brooks has even been suited-up, has he ?
Kubiak/Smith sure whiffed with our 2 third-round picks this year, but hopefully they will be producers over the longer-term ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I don't think Brooks has even been suited-up, has he ?
Kubiak/Smith sure whiffed with our 2 third-round picks this year, but hopefully they will be producers over the longer-term ?
To be fair, one rarely expects thirds to become starters, and it is not uncommon for them not to play very much at all that first season.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

It was cool to see Harris & Jones get extra time there at the end of the game. Kubiak pulled Brown, you could tell he didn't want to come out of the game, but it's good to get some game-day snaps for guys we may need farther down the season.

When Schaub was handing the ball off to Forsett, I was wondering why he didn't put Tj in to handle those duties.
Old 10-22-2012   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was cool to see Harris & Jones get extra time there at the end of the game. Kubiak pulled Brown, you could tell he didn't want to come out of the game, but it's good to get some game-day snaps for guys we may need farther down the season.

When Schaub was handing the ball off to Forsett, I was wondering why he didn't put Tj in to handle those duties.
Yeah, my wife was screaming at the TV for Kubiak to get Schaub out of there.

But I think it's just a minimization of possible errors thing. Forsett hasn't been getting a lot of playing time. And Yates hasn't been getting a lot of playing time. So it's OK to get one of them some time but maybe you increase the risk of a mistake by putting BOTH guys* out there that haven't been getting time.

* Both guys meaning the guy handing off and the guy taking the hand off.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #12
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
To be fair, one rarely expects thirds to become starters, and it is not uncommon for them not to play very much at all that first season.
I think it depends on a lot of factors like position (later taken OL can start, but you're right rare that they are EXPECTED to) and what situation the team is in at that position.

Given that Brisiel walked in FA (understandably with that kind of contract) they drafted at the spot. Jones has a pretty high floor, but I think few guards in this year's draft have the kind of ceiling Brooks has, which is why I liked the pick.

I'm really fine with Brooks sitting and getting acclimated to the speed of the NFL cosidering he was playing at Miami (OH). I do think it's pleasantly surprising to see Jones doing well already.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Ben Jones is on 610 right now with Posey & Keenum, players day. Very entertaining all seem like good dudes with of course Jones being a little lighthearted crazy. I think he will have a long career in this league

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read