Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-21-2012   #81
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our first round pick Whitney Mercilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandapuffTexan View Post
everyone is playing out there mind today...if they play like this in playoffs i see a superbowl comig nto houston
Not the young WR's. Martin dropped at least 1 pass that was right in his hands down by the goal line. I never saw Posey. Did he suit up today? Only saw Lestar once and I don't think he had any balls thrown his way. I know K-Mart is doing PR and KR but I wish he, or at least 1 of the other 2 would start stepping up as WR's. At least the team came out and played with some FIRE today and it showed in the score. That's what makes me the happiest.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #82
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Not the young WR's. Martin dropped at least 1 pass that was right in his hands down by the goal line. I never saw Posey. Did he suit up today? Only saw Lestar once and I don't think he had any balls thrown his way. I know K-Mart is doing PR and KR but I wish he, or at least 1 of the other 2 would start stepping up as WR's. At least the team came out and played with some FIRE today and it showed in the score. That's what makes me the happiest.
Posey was out there a couple of times.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #83
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I hope Mercilus plays more on defense.
Old 10-21-2012   #84
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
ditto for me as well, kinda nice to know good things are just around the corner after all the hard work this off season. I study the draft for months before April, posting such in draft forum but there is no way Whitney Mercilus should have still been on the board #26. He was top 20 easy prospect with potential to vault into the top 15. Chicago & Seattle are the teams who passed on Merciuls, drafting 15th & 19th respectively, thankfully for Texans their respective war rooms took less polished prospects in Bruce Irvin & Shea McClellin. Texans won't miss a beat after standing down & watching 100 million dollar DE extraordinaire Mario Williams jet to Buffalo.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #85
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
he has that extra suddeness that Barwin and Reed don't have. Both of those guys have great straight line speed but I think Mercilus may be faster in traffic. It looks like the right time to get him ready for more PT. He doesn't look as lost out there now.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #86
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I'm with you there, Gary. Mercilus looked great with the time he had playing. He was out there making plays.
Old 10-21-2012   #87
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Whitney Mercilus

Kid looked pretty damn good out there. Hope to see much more of him. His sack fumble seemed to ignite the defense and get everything rolling.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #88
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Whitney Mercilus

Didn't see the old thread on Whitney. Please merge.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #89
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 18049 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Whitney Mercilus

delete

Last edited by burro; 10-21-2012 at 09:57 PM.
burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #90
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

With the loss of Cushing and Demps it is nice Mercilus had a his best game so far.
Old 10-21-2012   #91
burro
almost sentient

Rep Power: 18049 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Though he looked pretty good today, Barwin should be nervous. Perhaps Mercilus' showing will motivate him to step it up. Or maybe Barwin will say screw it and go to work for Pitchfork. You never know.
Old 10-21-2012   #92
ItsMyFault
It's on me.

Rep Power: 488 ItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respected

Really impressed with him today. He got some good pressure on Flacco.
Old 10-21-2012   #93
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
Though he looked pretty good today, Barwin should be nervous. Perhaps Mercilus' showing will motivate him to step it up. Or maybe Barwin will say screw it and go to work for Pitchfork. You never know.
I don't know that Barwin should be nervous. Barwin was doing his thing today. He was in Flacco's face quite a bit. One of his hits... I mean he flattened Flacco causing the ball to sail high out the back of the end-zone.
Old 10-21-2012   #94
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
he has that extra suddeness that Barwin and Reed don't have. Both of those guys have great straight line speed but I think Mercilus may be faster in traffic. It looks like the right time to get him ready for more PT. He doesn't look as lost out there now.
It's great that wade has allowed Mercilus to come along slowly. Rather than needinG him to start day 1, as essentially every other first round pick in the team's history, Merciluss has been allowed to learn how to be a professional. With the bye week coming he now has 2 additional weeks to learn, work on technique, and improve. When the Giants took JPP they had him sit on the sidelines and learn from strahan, tucker, and Osi. He played on passing situations initially and his role expanded as the season progressed. When strahan left after the year, JPP was ready. I like that wade has taken the same approach with Mercilus.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #95
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Mercilus had some good play today. Barwin has had some very good play without getting on the stats board. He's had quite a few hurries so far. I think it is good that these guys always know if they can't get it done, there's a hungry young rookie who is aching to play. The prospect of being benched always lights a fire under your ass.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #96
burro
almost sentient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I don't know that Barwin should be nervous. Barwin was doing his thing today. He was in Flacco's face quite a bit. One of his hits... I mean he flattened Flacco causing the ball to sail high out the back of the end-zone.
True, but he's done nothing the previous six days. None-the-less, it was a great play and a good game for him.
Old 10-21-2012   #97
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
I think Barwin's gotta be frustrated as much as any of us on the MB to not seeing the numbers in the sack column this year. However, I have seen him getting in the QBs face prior to this game, getting hits and batting a few balls down.

I also think Watt is having such a great year as well it could be cutting into Barwin's numbers.

At any rate I was VERY pleased to see Merciless not only on the field, but having a big play that sparked the team some. Dunno if Barwin should be nervous or the rest of the teams we face this year be nervous that another stud might be making the rotation at OLB.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #98
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I think Barwin's gotta be frustrated as much as any of us on the MB to not seeing the numbers in the sack column this year. However, I have seen him getting in the QBs face prior to this game, getting hits and batting a few balls down.

I also think Watt is having such a great year as well it could be cutting into Barwin's numbers.

At any rate I was VERY pleased to see Merciless not only on the field, but having a big play that sparked the team some. Dunno if Barwin should be nervous or the rest of the teams we face this year be nervous that another stud might be making the rotation at OLB.
Not sure how Watt going up middle or around end opposite Barwin has anything to do with reducing Barwin's numbers? Should he not at least be getting close to QB? Until today, how many balls did Conner bat down?
Old 10-21-2012   #99
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
(on his first sack) “Well, I’ve got to give credit to Wade (Phillips). We kind of schemed that up a little bit. I moved around, (OLB) Brooks (Reed) moved around the other side and we kind of confused their o-line, was unblocked and was able to get there.”
From quote thread
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95622
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #100
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I am hoping that Mercilus/Watt becomes our Derrick Thomas/Neil Smith combo.

In my mind Thomas/Smith is the greatest DE/LB combo of all time.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read