Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 10-20-2012   #61
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok, well ill just agree to disagree that wr is a top priority.

Guess our mocks will be completely different.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #62
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Texans Draft Needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Ok, well ill just agree to disagree that wr is a top priority.

Guess our mocks will be completely different.
Im with you on the WR position at least for the time being. I want to see how these young guy's perform thru the rest of the season before I pass judgement.

NT , ILB and OL are my top priorities as it stands now and picking late in the first round (one would assume) would be a good use of assets in picking one of those positions as the early picks tend to be used at more glamour positions. There is value to be found.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #63
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Im with you on the WR position at least for the time being. I want to see how these young guy's perform thru the rest of the season before I pass judgement.

NT , ILB and OL are my top priorities as it stands now and picking late in the first round (one would assume) would be a good use of assets in picking one of those positions as the early picks tend to be used at more glamour positions. There is value to be found.
As I posted earlier, I don't see Kubiak going against history and moving any of our current WRs; however, BL has an accurate eval of our guys. None have done anything much including AJ. I love the guy but he is not the AJ of old. Not sure of reason.

If there is a guy that is a vast improvement over what we have, especially if he is an eventual replacement for Johnson, I pull trigger in first.
Old 10-20-2012   #64
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think regardless of how our young guys perform, it's way past time to go after a #1 receiver. we may have some talent to develop, but i dont see anyone on our roster taking the job from andre. walter's going to get cut as soon as the next guy shows up, and martin looks to have the slot position. with 'dre slowing down i would move him to walter's spot and use our first on a #1 receiver - possibly moving tate to trade up.

ILB is the second position of need for me, but i'd be looking for a complete 3 down player if at all possible. someone who stays on the field with cushing when we go to nickel instead of rotating in another safety. more and more teams are spreading the field and we need to be more complete up front in nickel formations.

NT for obvious reasons is still something to look at, though one i'd probably look more towards free agency to find one - we know how well early round defensive tackles can be evaluated.

TE, OL, DB - late round players to continue adding depth.
Old 10-20-2012   #65
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i think regardless of how our young guys perform, it's way past time to go after a #1 receiver. we may have some talent to develop, but i dont see anyone on our roster taking the job from andre. walter's going to get cut as soon as the next guy shows up, and martin looks to have the slot position. with 'dre slowing down i would move him to walter's spot and use our first on a #1 receiver - possibly moving tate to trade up.

ILB is the second position of need for me, but i'd be looking for a complete 3 down player if at all possible. someone who stays on the field with cushing when we go to nickel instead of rotating in another safety. more and more teams are spreading the field and we need to be more complete up front in nickel formations.

NT for obvious reasons is still something to look at, though one i'd probably look more towards free agency to find one - we know how well early round defensive tackles can be evaluated.

damn fine job scooter, I like the way you made it sound so simple

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #66
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yep let's go get a free agent nose to start and who will agree to play for nothing. lol
Old 10-20-2012   #67
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 155137 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Yep let's go get a free agent nose to start and who will agree to play for nothing. lol
Yep ... 300 plus guys who have a high motor and can move are called multi millionaires and are worth every penny .

The SEC has some huge NG types this year .
Old 10-20-2012   #68
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Yep ... 300 plus guys who have a high motor and can move are called multi millionaires and are worth every penny .

The SEC has some huge NG types this year .
Evaluating one now and Sylvester Williams plays @ 6 against Duke and Jesse Williams plays @ 6 against Tennessee (WR Cordarelle Patterson).
Old 10-20-2012   #69
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We already have something pretty close in Cody, I think it's possible he resigns. But, I think Scooter's point is the FO can likely find comparable production via FA as opposed to sinking a high draft pick in an NT.

I'm with Scooter far as where our top two choices should be, personally I'd go ILB because the depth there is lacking but also because I don't think Bradie James is going to be here next year. Texans need a second 3 down ILB who can cover.

I'm not overly concerned at OLB right now and after dropping a first last year ona guy who is supposed to turn into a monster rusher last year I think the FO can look later in the draft for depth.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #70
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
we have 2 on the team now. smith did as much a few years ago, filling our ranks will well playing walk ons. sure the big names are going to command big money, but there are plenty of motivated heavies each year. my point was you're more likely to get production out of an overlooked free agent than amobi okoye or travis johnson - DT appears to miss more than hit in early rounds.
Old 10-20-2012   #71
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 155137 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
we have 2 on the team now. smith did as much a few years ago, filling our ranks will well playing walk ons. sure the big names are going to command big money, but there are plenty of motivated heavies each year. my point was you're more likely to get production out of an overlooked free agent than amobi okoye or travis johnson - DT appears to miss more than hit in early rounds.
Yep ... but you have to draft Vince Wolfork and Casey Hampton .
Old 10-20-2012   #72
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Yep ... but you have to draft Vince Wolfork and Casey Hampton .
2004 is when I became serious about the draft. Last week Wilfork was my pick (for the Texans) does that count for anything

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #73
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
We already have something pretty close in Cody, I think it's possible he resigns. But, I think Scooter's point is the FO can likely find comparable production via FA as opposed to sinking a high draft pick in an NT.

I'm with Scooter far as where our top two choices should be, personally I'd go ILB because the depth there is lacking but also because I don't think Bradie James is going to be here next year. Texans need a second 3 down ILB who can cover.

I'm not overly concerned at OLB right now and after dropping a first last year ona guy who is supposed to turn into a monster rusher last year I think the FO can look later in the draft for depth.
Cody has played better than I expected but still our middle is a sieve. We can get a starter as low as third round. Cody is 30 in Jan & has back disk problems. Te'o is considered top 15 & Kevin Minter 2nd rated ILB (I like him) only got one tackle today against Texas A&M; was a sack but only one tackle? We have an ILB that can replace James and start but later than 2nd round.
Old 10-20-2012   #74
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Two what? I think Wade Phillips has convinced most fans he knows how to draft. We are a SB contender with no cap room & we should not be signing low cost free agents to play significant minutes let alone start. See Alan Ball & Bradie James. This team is now where we should be drafting not signing FAs.
Old 10-20-2012   #75
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody knows much about Ezekiel Ansah (BYU)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-JxQlaxBHU

I saw him played anywhere on the line, from NT to OLB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O4NawUsjtc

During the BYU/ND game today, Mike Mayock mentioned that some scout told him Ansah may even slip into the first round. Can you believe that?
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #76
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

During the BYU/ND game today, Mike Mayock mentioned that some scout told him Ansah may even slip into the first round. Can you believe that?
yeah been watching him for a bit and he should be climbing up boards.
Old 10-20-2012   #77
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cody has played better than I expected but still our middle is a sieve. We can get a starter as low as third round. Cody is 30 in Jan & has back disk problems. Te'o is considered top 15 & Kevin Minter 2nd rated ILB (I like him) only got one tackle today against Texas A&M; was a sack but only one tackle? We have an ILB that can replace James and start but later than 2nd round.
Yep really would love to get Te'o and Cushing on the field, that'd be sick, too bad it's very unlikely to happen.

Saw the LSU game, but they had to play differently than they usually do, containing Manziel as opposed to the way they usually play downhill.

Who replaces James? Dobbins? Sharpton?

I guess I just think getting an ILB would give more immediate results than tagging another DT high, they're just so boom or bust.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #78
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Anything can happen. I think first is a bit high (due to him being so raw), but the athleticism is there. The comparisons to JPP are quite accurate, in my opinion.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #79
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Two what? I think Wade Phillips has convinced most fans he knows how to draft. We are a SB contender with no cap room & we should not be signing low cost free agents to play significant minutes let alone start. See Alan Ball & Bradie James. This team is now where we should be drafting not signing FAs.
I think for a team to be truely successful , you have to do both - draft well and supliment your roster with quality signings from the FA market. That doesnt necessarily mean high priced , but high production for the cost.

The FA market tends to be the more expensive route to filling roster spots especially when dealing with veteran players as they have a higher minimum salary to go along with a body of work to base pay on. And premium positions /players expect a premium salary (See Mario Williams).

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #80
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I think for a team to be truely successful , you have to do both - draft well and supliment your roster with quality signings from the FA market. That doesnt necessarily mean high priced , but high production for the cost.

The FA market tends to be the more expensive route to filling roster spots especially when dealing with veteran players as they have a higher minimum salary to go along with a body of work to base pay on. And premium positions /players expect a premium salary (See Mario Williams).
Salary cap has just about eliminated free agent movement & that is what NFL wanted. We will see an occasional pick up like Harris who may give you a year or two at cheap cost but draft is way to go in future.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read