Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 10-16-2012   #41
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Texans Draft Needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Forsett signed one year deal so he would have to re-sign and if he has a good year, might go elsewhere.

Nose, Cody probably gone so you better get someone better than Mitchell and that would have to be before our second round selection.
Do I think Cody could be upgraded? Definitely, but I don't see him being a big re-sign unless Wade just wants to move on and feels he's going to or has plans to draft.

I think Grimes who I think is still on PS showed good flashes in Pre-season and could step into the 3rd down back position next season if Forsett isn't resigned. I do think it's going to be difficult for him to get a decent number of touches to warrant a huge contract elsewhere.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #42
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217185 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I think Grimes who I think is still on PS showed good flashes in Pre-season and could step into the 3rd down back position next season if Forsett isn't resigned. I do think it's going to be difficult for him to get a decent number of touches to warrant a huge contract elsewhere.
Signed away by the Jets.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #43
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81420 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

My take on needs:

Offense:
QB
No need. Schaub has been extended and Yates is a decent-solid backup option. Keenum is a project 3rd stringer. No real need to add.

RB
Foster has been extended, but Tate is up after 2013 and Forsett is on a one year deal. We have Meggett on PS, but he's not a viable #2 option yet. I've looked at RB quite a bit because I think it's very important for us to have a very good option behind Foster. Some guys that I like...

- Joseph Randle, Oklahoma State
- Giovanni Bernard, North Carolina
- Stephan Taylor, Stanford
- Jonathan Franklin, UCLA
- Zac Stacy, Vanderbilt

*It looks like a great RB class this year if a few guys come out early.

FB
I really like Casey and he has progressed splendidly. But I would like to see us add a guy here so Casey can play more TE. One guy I really like is Trey Millard from Oklahoma. Guy is an absolute monster. I would jump at the chance to take him in the 4th-5th round. This is more luxury than need.

WR
We really need to add a complementary piece to Andre. Someone who can take over for him in a few years. I love Walter, and he is money on crucial plays (especially 3rd down). But we need to add more playmakers. Adding Martin was a step. I really like Robert Woods (USC), he could come in and be a #2 immediately and take over for Andre down the road. Another guy who could contribute early is Cordarrelle Patterson (Tennessee), he can really stretch the field and make plays.

TE
Not really a need, but I would like to see us add a FB (to get Casey more TE looks) or add another TE later. Again, this is a luxury.

OL
We need interior help. Badly IMO. A couple guys I would take early shots at are Chance Warmack and Barrett Jones, both from Alabama. Both could play OG, and in Jones' case he could play anywhere on the line. We could also take a shot at a mid-round OT like Xavier Nixon (Florida) to replace Butler. If we want to go OT early, Taylor Lewan (Michigan) might still be there.

DEFENSE:
DE
I haven't looked at many DE prospects yet. Sharrif Floyd (Florida) could be a guy to watch though. William Gholston (Michigan State) has worlds of untapped potential, but I don't know if he can put things together.

DT
NT is by far the weak spot up front for us. Many guys think we need to add a massive plugger, but it just seems to me like that's not going to happen. One guy I've loved for over a year now is Kawaan Short (Purdue). The guy is an absolute monster and can rush the passer from the inside. The only issue is if Wade thinks he would be a good fit at NT. Another guy I like is Akeem Spence (Illinois).

OLB
We don't really need an OLB if we re-sign Barwin, but I don't think we will. We didn't draft Mercilus to sit on the bench. If we don't retain him I think it would behoove us to draft another pass rusher. One guy who I absolutely love is Chase Thomas (Stanford).

ILB
Huge need, IMO. The one guy I would like to see us draft over all others is Manti Te'o (Notre Dame), but that just doesn't seem feasible. I really like Shayne Skov from Stanford as a backup option.

CB
I think we need more CB's. Or better CB's I should say. Ball is not a legitimate option and Carmichael is a ST player. I don't know what to make of Harris at this point. I would take Jonathan Banks (Mississippi State) in a heart beat. I also like Jordan Poyer (Oregon State) and Justin Gilbert (Oklahoma State). Both of those guys could be 2nd-3rd round steals.

S
We need playmakers. We have some good players in Quin, Mannings, Demps, and Nolan. Solid, but not playmakers. We could add a guy like Eric Reid (LSU), T.J. McDonald (USC), or Matt Elam (Florida). Elam is a walking highlight reel.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #44
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
My take on needs:

Offense:
QB
No need. Schaub has been extended and Yates is a decent-solid backup option. Keenum is a project 3rd stringer. No real need to add.

RB
Foster has been extended, but Tate is up after 2013 and Forsett is on a one year deal. We have Meggett on PS, but he's not a viable #2 option yet. I've looked at RB quite a bit because I think it's very important for us to have a very good option behind Foster. Some guys that I like...

- Zac Stacy, Vanderbilt

FB
I really like Casey and he has progressed splendidly. But I would like to see us add a guy here so Casey can play more TE. One guy I really like is Trey Millard from Oklahoma. Guy is an absolute monster. I would jump at the chance to take him in the 4th-5th round. This is more luxury than need.

WR
We really need to add a complementary piece to Andre. Someone who can take over for him in a few years. I love Walter, and he is money on crucial plays (especially 3rd down). But we need to add more playmakers. Adding Martin was a step. I really like Robert Woods (USC), he could come in and be a #2 immediately and take over for Andre down the road. Another guy who could contribute early is Cordarrelle Patterson (Tennessee), he can really stretch the field and make plays.

TE
Not really a need, but I would like to see us add a FB (to get Casey more TE looks) or add another TE later. Again, this is a luxury.

OL
We need interior help. Badly IMO. A couple guys I would take early shots at are Chance Warmack and Barrett Jones, both from Alabama. Both could play OG, and in Jones' case he could play anywhere on the line. We could also take a shot at a mid-round OT like Xavier Nixon (Florida) to replace Butler. If we want to go OT early, Taylor Lewan (Michigan) might still be there.

DEFENSE:
DE
I haven't looked at many DE prospects yet. Sharrif Floyd (Florida) could be a guy to watch though. William Gholston (Michigan State) has worlds of untapped potential, but I don't know if he can put things together.

DT
NT is by far the weak spot up front for us. Many guys think we need to add a massive plugger, but it just seems to me like that's not going to happen. One guy I've loved for over a year now is Kawaan Short (Purdue). The guy is an absolute monster and can rush the passer from the inside. The only issue is if Wade thinks he would be a good fit at NT. Another guy I like is Akeem Spence (Illinois).

OLB
We don't really need an OLB if we re-sign Barwin, but I don't think we will. We didn't draft Mercilus to sit on the bench. If we don't retain him I think it would behoove us to draft another pass rusher. One guy who I absolutely love is Chase Thomas (Stanford).

ILB
Huge need, IMO. The one guy I would like to see us draft over all others is Manti Te'o (Notre Dame), but that just doesn't seem feasible. I really like Shayne Skov from Stanford as a backup option.

CB
I think we need more CB's. Or better CB's I should say. Ball is not a legitimate option and Carmichael is a ST player. I don't know what to make of Harris at this point. I would take Jonathan Banks (Mississippi State) in a heart beat. I also like Jordan Poyer (Oregon State) and Justin Gilbert (Oklahoma State). Both of those guys could be 2nd-3rd round steals.

S
We need playmakers. We have some good players in Quin, Mannings, Demps, and Nolan. Solid, but not playmakers. We could add a guy like Eric Reid (LSU), T.J. McDonald (USC), or Matt Elam (Florida). Elam is a walking highlight reel.
must spread rep around, but very good post

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #45
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
must spread rep around, but very good post
Ditto, Glad to hear from you again WF.

Got him
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #46
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Load up on OL (c,rg,rt), ILB, DT, and secondary. That should cover the next draft.

ILB or RT in first round.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #47
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My take on needs:

Offense:
QB

RB

- Zac Stacy, Vanderbilt

FB

WR

TE

OL

DEFENSE:
DE

DT

OLB

ILB

CB

S
Quick comment on RB, need for #2 only a need if Tate is gone as you know so I am not seeing RB as a priority. That gives time for Meggett to develop.
Old 10-18-2012   #48
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Load up on OL (c,rg,rt), ILB, DT, and secondary. That should cover the next draft.

ILB or RT in first round.
Picking weak areas is half the battle but the easy part. What players do you recommend? Keep in mind we should be drafting no higher than about #28. Please don't just names off another's mock but tell us why you like the guy. I am assuming you watch games and tapes?
Old 10-18-2012   #49
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
My take on needs:

Offense:
QB

RB

- Zac Stacy, Vanderbilt

FB

WR

TE

OL

DEFENSE:
DE

DT

OLB

ILB

CB

S
I don't mean to be argumentative & do appreciate your post and effort. Which WR is Kubiak giving up on? Posey who has minimal playing time & Gary gave up a second to trade down and select? No. Martin who seemingly is what we expected? No. Lestar Jean who is the only potential to eventually replace AJ? Doubt it. Woods should be gone by our first pick & are you not

concerned by his drops or avg? Patterson is very good but probably returns to Tenn.

TE: 100% agree

OL: I see Dallas taking Barrett Jones as he can play any of their sucky positions. Warmack best OG and gone. Wade Smith is going nowhere unless Brooks vastly improves or Smith's health deteriorates. Jones should be our RG so don't see high pick for OL.

OLB: 100%agree
ILB: You must see something in Skov I don't. I've quit watching him.

CB:Banks should be gone in first, Poyer & Gilbert gone by our second. Would you give your first for either?

S: agree but check out Micah Hyde Iowa 6'1" 190 CB who would be perfect SS replacement if Quin goes and can play corner with 4.43 speed
Old 10-18-2012   #50
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Patterson reminds me alot of a young AJ. He has that kind of ability. He will shoot up the draft boards after the combine. Allen will end up as the only WR drafted higher than Patterson. (I think he will come out early.)

Hyde is small for a S. He got in trouble with the law. Doesn't seem like a future Texan to me. Give me Swearinger in the 4th. A CB I really like that could be available later is Tharold Simon from LSU. He's not flashy but he does his job. (3rd/4th rd.
Old 10-18-2012   #51
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Patterson reminds me alot of a young AJ. He has that kind of ability. He will shoot up the draft boards after the combine. Allen will end up as the only WR drafted higher than Patterson. (I think he will come out early.)

Hyde is small for a S. He got in trouble with the law. Doesn't seem like a future Texan to me. Give me Swearinger in the 4th. A CB I really like that could be available later is Tharold Simon from LSU. He's not flashy but he does his job. (3rd/4th rd.
Hyde is perfect imo for our safeties & at 6'1" could pick up some weight.

Legal issue (misdomeaner) and I suggest you read the entire article:

The police confronted the group at the corner of Bowery and Gilbert St., told them to stop and flashed their lights. Hyde and the rest of the group ignored the command and started running.

Police chased Hyde, who was apprehended two blocks away. According to the report, Hyde had “bloodshot watery eyes and an odor of an alcoholic beverage” and showed 6 of 6 signs of impairment and refused a post arrest breathalyzer.

Hyde stated “he had drunk a vodka/Sprite, a shot and a Bud Light earlier in the night.”

http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pb...nclick_check=1

Also:
Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said in a statement released Saturday that he was disappointed because all three players have been "good citizens" during their time in our program.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/1...#ixzz29giQ3s8g
Old 10-18-2012   #52
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I hope your right about Patterson coming out early that'll just add to the depth at WR and allow us to get a good one in the 2nd round. Personally I think he stays in school and is then in the top 10 in 2014.

I have to agree with BB when I look at Hyde I see a SS that would be very good depth behind Quin or in place of him if we lose Quin to FA. Thanks for the new name at CB, Tharold Simon, I haven't seen him yet.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #53
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Not a draft need, but I want Kirk Cousins from the Redskins. I think he has "it", and needs to spend a couple of years under Kubes learning the ropes.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012   #54
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

We sure seem to have a bunch more chinks in the armor than we did in August . I don't know about mock drafts but I do have likes and concerns .

1. A 3/4 with no pass rush from the OLB is a concern .
2. A TE who is a big target ( 6'6 ) and a really good blocker would be nice .
3. ILB depth
4. OL help
5. WR help
6. QB to groom to challenge TJ .
6. DL help
7. I like the OU FB .
Old 10-19-2012   #55
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
We sure seem to have a bunch more chinks in the armor than we did in August . I don't know about mock drafts but I do have likes and concerns .

3. ILB depth
4. OL help
5. WR help
6. DL help
7. I like the OU FB .
We are still banging heads and reviewing tape and bouncing ideas off each other but hopefully you will like the Bye Week mock Beerlover, RMartin65 and I are creating. Not sure we agree with you though on drafting a QB as Kubes really likes Case Keenum. If we do select one it will be late round about where you identify one.
Old 10-19-2012   #56
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post

3. ILB depth
4. OL help
5. WR help
6. DL help
7. I like the OU FB .
1. Mercilus was drafted to be that guy. I trust Wade.
2. Agreed TE is a need, but there isn't much difference in a 2nd rd TE like Sims and a 5th rd TE like Lutzenkirchen. (Who I really like alot) IMHO
3. We think alike on ILB, Knott from Iowa St. would be a good fit with the Texans
4. OL help, depends on how you feel Jones/Newton will develop. I rate this as a higher need because the Texans are a run 1st team.
5. This is the #1 need IMHO, Luckily this is a very talented and deep draft class.
6. If one of the top QB's fall (Bray) I would take him in the 1st rd. Otherwise a 3rd rd guy I like is Murray from Georgia. He reminds me of Brees.
6. DL help, NT is #2 need on my list, because if Cody leaves Micthell cant handle NT on an every down basis.
7. Love Millard, this guy is just a football player.
Old 10-20-2012   #57
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
DT -- Obviously, Wade doesn't want a classic NT. So let's get a good DT who's better at what Shaun Cody does than either Shaun or Earl are.
Its not that he doesnt "want" that type of player , its that those guy's are few and far between and come with a premium price tag .... He's making do at the position with less and taking advantage of the skills of the players around him.

I guarantee you if he could have that guy right now , he'd jump at the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
The Packers game should have exposed why we need a "classic NT." With a classic NT being the guy that takes 2 O-linemen to block him, that frees up JJ Watt and/or your LB's to make plays. In the GB game Watt was taking the double coverage leaving Cody to make the play. Ain't happening! Don't know if Wade will draft a bigger NT, but we definitely need on that will command 2 blockers, so Watt or the LB's can do their thing.
The DL has had issues in earlier games being run against but the Packers definately exposed them. I really wonder how much missing Cushing has to do with what happened to the DL against GB.
Offenses have to account for Cushing on every play .... Not having to gameplan for both Cushing and Watt made their jobs significantly easier.

Either way , Cody will be a FA after the season and I have no idea if they will retain him or look to replace him in FA or the draft.

Considering really good DT/NT's tend to go early , finding that guy in the draft might be problematic , paying for that player in FA may be expensive too.

Right now , I dont know how I would rank the Texans needs in the coming draft , injuries , FA , players aging and some just not producing , even tho they are 5-1 I see a lot of improvement that could be made.

RG , RT , NT/DT , ILB , WR in no particular order.

RG/RT spots havent come along as well as most of us hoped .... maybe they improve over the course of the season. If not , these are positions in need of help considering how important the running game is to the execution of this offense.

NT/DT discussed above. Lots of options.

ILB - Expect Cushing back to his normal self and James hasnt been horrible but could be upgraded as well as the depth at the position. Sharpton isnt that guy.

WR - drafted a couple this year but they havent really produced , Going to hold off on calling it a serious need until further notice , hoping they rookies develop. Both have speed to burn .... and Jean will be back soon and he's a gamer.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #58
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. Mercilus was drafted to be that guy. I trust Wade.
2. Agreed TE is a need, but there isn't much difference in a 2nd rd TE like Sims and a 5th rd TE like Lutzenkirchen. (Who I really like alot) IMHO
3. We think alike on ILB, Knott from Iowa St. would be a good fit with the Texans
4. OL help, depends on how you feel Jones/Newton will develop. I rate this as a higher need because the Texans are a run 1st team.
5. This is the #1 need IMHO, Luckily this is a very talented and deep draft class.
6. If one of the top QB's fall (Bray) I would take him in the 1st rd. Otherwise a 3rd rd guy I like is Murray from Georgia. He reminds me of Brees.
6. DL help, NT is #2 need on my list, because if Cody leaves Micthell cant handle NT on an every down basis.
7. Love Millard, this guy is just a football player.
Wade also drafted Brandon Harris, roc Carmichael and Shiloh keo....he brought in bradie James and ball too...

I'm not going to say any of those guys are busts, but they haven't made any kind of impact either.

Also, if barwin leaves we need another Olb. Hell, if barwin stays we need to find someone that can consistently pressure qb's in one on one situations.

Dion Jordan.

And I completely disagree on wr. No room. They are not going to shelve posey, jean or Martin this early. Kw looks good catching the ball this year. And Andre is not going anywhere. At least he shouldn't.

We have plenty of receiving weapons.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #59
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Wade also drafted Brandon Harris, roc Carmichael and Shiloh keo....he brought in bradie James and ball too...

I'm not going to say any of those guys are busts, but they haven't made any kind of impact either.

Also, if barwin leaves we need another Olb. Hell, if barwin stays we need to find someone that can consistently pressure qb's in one on one situations.

Dion Jordan.

And I completely disagree on wr. No room. They are not going to shelve posey, jean or Martin this early. Kw looks good catching the ball this year. And Andre is not going anywhere. At least he shouldn't.

I love Jordan, however after the combine he will probably be a top 15 pick. I think Mercilus will get the 1st shot if Barwin walks. For the same reason you think Posey will get more PT next yr. Barwin $$$$ is going down by the game. Barwin needs to lose weight and Wade has changed his scheme slightly. With that said Barwin has vastly underperformed.

Patterson or Dobson have potential to be available late in the 1st rd, where the Texans should be picking. They not only would be BPA, but a position of need. IMHO You should check out their highlights. I've seen Patterson play many times and he reminds me of a younger version of AJ. If he's there late in the 1st rd you run your card to the podium and call it a night.
Old 10-20-2012   #60
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Dion Jordan.

Only if you include TE/RB position. Andre the great has fallen, out of the top 20, currently ranked 29th. He has 25 receptions, 358 yards, 2 TD's big Whoop! After him it gets even worse, all the way down to 81st, Keven Walter with 15 receptions 205 yards & one TD. Really. Plenty of receiving weapons? Martin is now taking over kick return duties, he has dropped as many passes as he's caught (6 catches targeted 16 times). Lestar Jean had two receptions for 53 yards before season ending injury, last year he missed entire season & now your suggesting he can be counted on (ultimate shelf player so far). Posey??? Can't decide his biggest play the off sides call that allowed Green Bay another opportunity that resulted in a TD or the fumble recovery in the Packers end zone for a TD? so far he has a big gooses egg (0) heck even Matthew Stafford has at least one catch, ridiculous.

The Texans are in dire need of WR help & the best source of addressing this need is early in 2013 draft. Once Andre Johnson career is over people will look back *****, whine & complain how did the Texans not see this coming & find at least a suitable replacement (will probably never be fully replaced).

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read