Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2012   #21
DaTruthExplodes
Anti-Homer

Rep Power: 0 DaTruthExplodes DaTruthExplodes DaTruthExplodes DaTruthExplodes DaTruthExplodes DaTruthExplodes DaTruthExplodes DaTruthExplodes DaTruthExplodes DaTruthExplodes DaTruthExplodes
Default Re: No Huddle vs. Our Defense

why dont they make changes on defense?

why is it so hard to try different personnel?

if joseph is injured, sit him. give roc carmichael a chance. give brandon harris a chance. they cant be worse than kareem jackson and how joseph is playing.

kareem is still kareem and he and joseph will get burned by flacco who loves to sling the ball and go for big passing plays.
DaTruthExplodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #22
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
If the Texans insist on having J Jo out there, Wade will be quite limited in aggressiveness unless he wants to take the significantly increased risk of not being able to adequately cover the vertical game........and yet another week of potentially quick deadly scores.
Looks like they are going to, so we'll just have to wait to find out how effective J Jo can be.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...e-aac085e0ee65

(on CB Johnathan Joseph’s chances to play Sunday) “I’m thinking very positive about it, just me watching him. I really had him do nothing yesterday. He did work with the trainers today. He’s very upbeat, so we’ll see where we’re at tomorrow, but I’ve felt pretty good about him being there for us on Sunday, but until that happens. I think he’s feeling pretty good about it today himself so we’ll see.”
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #23
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 186361 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Looks like they are going to, so we'll just have to wait to find out how effective J Jo can be.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...e-aac085e0ee65

(on CB Johnathan Josephs chances to play Sunday) Im thinking very positive about it, just me watching him. I really had him do nothing yesterday. He did work with the trainers today. Hes very upbeat, so well see where were at tomorrow, but Ive felt pretty good about him being there for us on Sunday, but until that happens. I think hes feeling pretty good about it today himself so well see.
Refer to my most recent post in the "Jonathan Joseph?" thread.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012   #24
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i was talking to a buddy of mine about this before the packers game, we struggled last season against the hurry up offense as well (outside of an electric game against the falcons). the conclusion that i came to is that it takes wade phillips out of the game. when teams no huddle against us we have to play a vanilla package or pre-set calls, instead of getting our plays from the sideline. we saw what happened last year without wade, we were completely unable to make adjustments - and that's what i see happening against hurry up offenses, we become talent without direction and are forced to react on defense.
Old 10-19-2012   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i was talking to a buddy of mine about this before the packers game, we struggled last season against the hurry up offense as well (outside of an electric game against the falcons). the conclusion that i came to is that it takes wade phillips out of the game. when teams no huddle against us we have to play a vanilla package or pre-set calls, instead of getting our plays from the sideline. we saw what happened last year without wade, we were completely unable to make adjustments - and that's what i see happening against hurry up offenses, we become talent without direction and are forced to react on defense.
I would also think they may not have known how to adjust, since they didn't have a full training camp. Sunday night, I saw them moving & rotating on the back end, in a way that I hadn't noticed before, which leads me to believe it's something we'll get better at over time.
Old 10-19-2012   #26
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We did not lose because of the no-huddle.
The Packers were not in a hurry-up offense so we still have some 15-20 secs to send a play in, and that's more than plenty enough time in the NFL.
Rogers took a long time before he called for the snap; the defense had plenty of time to settle in, making sure all the guys were where they were supposed to be.

On their first scoring drive, we stopped and forced them to try a FG, but Posey lined up off-side and give them back the ball.
Here, we had plenty of time to change personnel and make any call we wanted.
They scored on the next play.

On the second TD drive, the clock was stopped after the first play due to Jamison's injury.
After the second play, the ref had to stop the clock to make sure where to spot the ball.
The fourth play was a throw away.
The TV was showing some replays; we can't see the huddle, but there were at least a 20-sec lapse in between a few plays.
On the 6th play when they scored the TD, they went into a full huddle.

On their third drive, there was a measurement after the second play that stopped the clock for a long time.
The third play was a QB sneak that took a long time for Rogers to get back up to call the next play.
It took the ref a little while to set the ball yet Rogers had only 5 sec remaining on the play clock when he called for the snap on the next play.)
The next play was a run and the RB took his time getting back.
There was a semi-huddle (which is really just the same as a huddle) on the next play; they just didn't form a circle around the QB.
They had another huddle after the next play.
This was the play where the bogus PI call occured.
And of course, there's a long break after the call.

They started the second half with their usual 3-wide set.
Wade would have made the adjusment if he wanted to, but he stayed with the dime package... because that's what we do...
They had about 3 sec left on the play clock on the second play; ie. they were not anywhere near in hurry-up mode.
This happened quite a bit all day long.
The TV station had time to show several replays.
There were three penalties that stopped the clock on this drive.
They had a full huddle on 3rd and 20 when Quin knock down the pass attempt in the end zone.
Then came the penalty on Barwin.
Watt sacked Rogers on the next play, stopping the clock.
The refs took their time; the Packers were in no hurry to get back to the line; Rogers was in no hurry to call for the snap.
After the penalty on Manning, the Packs called a running play.
Then they went into full huddle on the play they scored the TD.

Just before the 4th quarter, they ran a play.
The clock then stopped as the quarter end.
After an incomple pass to start the 4th quarter, the Packers went into full huddle.

Most of the same thing happened on their next scoring drive.
Clock stopped for a measurement.
Play clock going down, sometimes near expiration.
The TV station was able to either show a replay, displayed some graphics, or showed the two guys in the booth, etc.

We did not lose because of the no huddle.
We had plenty of opportunities to change our personnel if we wanted to, but we never did... again, because that's what we do.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read