Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2012   #21
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 18555 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Issues on Offense???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
My concern is the line, especially the guard play.
Wade Smith has been a warrior, playing through injuries and such, but his play has been hurting us some.
So did Caldwell's injury.
Ben Jones is playing like a rookie, but a pretty good one, at least a decent one.
Newton has had his bumps, but it looks to me that he has been progressing up to the curve.
It's good to have Harris on board so the OT position seems not to be a weakness.
In addition to the Play, is the leadership/accountability aspect. I'm speculating, as it MAY be present, but when I speak of accountability, I think of Eric Winston verbally calling out the unit's play. Most of the time something like that hits headlines, the pundits will say that should remain in the locker room, so I'll assume it probably is in this case. But who stands out as that person on the line that holds everyone accountable for their play? And maybe accountable isn't the dead on right word.. For example Cush, is someone who comes to mind on D that helps "charge" the defense. Who's that person on Offense? I don't see it being #8, #80.. Maaaaybe #23? But still, not in 23's nature, so seemingly artificial if true.

Is it legit to expect the offense to need such a factor? I know on defense it would seem apparent.
Old 10-18-2012   #22
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Just as a side note... I don't remember Kubiak running end-arounds that much last year or in 2010, when I really started watching the Texans. For all the veterans on the board or the fans who've been fans for longer than I have - are the end-arounds new for Kubiak? Did he use them before 2010 more often? I like the 10 yard pickups we get from Keyshawn on these plays. It's not a play he runs too many times, but... I think Keyshawn is going to be a solid contributor in this offense given more snaps and if he fixes whatever concerns with his hands existed.

Then again, my memory tends to throw in events of its own liking, but the end arounds do seem to be moderately effective.
We did that some with Jacoby, but if we're doing it more, it's probably because of Keyshawn's presence.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #23
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 37603 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthx View Post
Texans offense hasn't looked spectacular since Kyle left, I am wondering how much of Kubiaks genius came from Shanny's son when it came to offensive playcalling.
Yes, please bring back the half-back pass.
Old 10-18-2012   #24
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthx View Post
Texans offense hasn't looked spectacular since Kyle left, I am wondering how much of Kubiaks genius came from Shanny's son when it came to offensive playcalling.
The reason our offense looked "spectacular" was because we chose to or had to pass more in the past; usually because we were behind in many games.

If you remember, there were people, myself included, who talked about all those yards our QBs got in garbage time some years back.

Last year, when Schaub had the fewest number of attempts per game, his yard per attempt (8.5) was his career high.

So far, our receivers had dropped a few more balls than they normally do.
And then there was that non-called PI that prevented AJ to get a very long catch (I can't remember exactly, but probably about 45-50 yards).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
LOL!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #25
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail.Blazr View Post
In addition to the Play, is the leadership/accountability aspect. I'm speculating, as it MAY be present, but when I speak of accountability, I think of Eric Winston verbally calling out the unit's play. Most of the time something like that hits headlines, the pundits will say that should remain in the locker room, so I'll assume it probably is in this case. But who stands out as that person on the line that holds everyone accountable for their play? And maybe accountable isn't the dead on right word.. For example Cush, is someone who comes to mind on D that helps "charge" the defense. Who's that person on Offense? I don't see it being #8, #80.. Maaaaybe #23? But still, not in 23's nature, so seemingly artificial if true.

Is it legit to expect the offense to need such a factor? I know on defense it would seem apparent.
I honestly don't know either.
Old 10-18-2012   #26
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 37603 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure about the whole offense but Wade Smith called a meeting for lineman playing sloppy in preseason.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...loppy-showing/

Posted using Tapatalk from my phone. May contain errors.
Old 10-18-2012   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Don't have the cash to get that done. We'll have to make some tough calls again this year I imagine. I think your best hope if you think we need to get another star WR is to invest the draft capital to do it.

I am not in the draft a high round WR because I would rather build the team elsewhere. I think you can get by without all pro WRs.
Also, a first-round receiver can be a hit-and-miss deal.

Blackmon, Floyd and Jenkins haven't showed up.
How about Baldwin from last year?
D. Thomas hasn't done much for the Broncos.
Neither has Kenny Britt (Titans).

The list goes on:
Ted Ginn (bust), Craig Davis (bust), A. Gonzales, Troy Williamson (#7 pick - bust), Mike Williams (#10 pick = bust), Matt Jones, Roy Williams #7, Reggie Willams #9. Michael Clayton (seriously under-archievers), Michael Jenkins, Rashaun Woods (bust).
Old 10-18-2012   #28
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Also... Dwayne Bowe apparently wants out of KC pretty bad. What do you guys think about having him here? Two premier receivers? I think it would force other teams to respect the pass game much more, and open up the run game.
Sure it would be nice, but he costs 9 million this year, and 5.8 million is left on his deal for the rest of the season. We simply don't have that capspace to even consider it.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #29
DaTruthExplodes
Anti-Homer

Rep Power: 0 DaTruthExplodes DaTruthExplodes DaTruthExplodes DaTruthExplodes DaTruthExplodes DaTruthExplodes DaTruthExplodes DaTruthExplodes DaTruthExplodes DaTruthExplodes DaTruthExplodes

forget about plaxico or chad or TO.

this goody boy pre requisite regime will never go for it even though i think they could help this team.

receivers are not the problem on offense. its the erratic idiotic play calling on offense that is killing this team.
DaTruthExplodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #30
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
the style of offensive we play anyways we dont need stud WR's we manily focus on TE's and RB and FB
I've heard this for years. The question becomes how long can one keep lying to oneself until one expects it to become the truth? I guess the answer depends on how badly one wants that lie to be a truth. And after last week, I guess many want it very badly.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #31
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80683 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTruthExplodes View Post
forget about plaxico or chad or TO.

this goody boy pre requisite regime will never go for it even though i think they could help this team.
Yeah, 3 over-the-hill crappy headcase receivers that no one in the NFL wants would REALLY help us on our Super Bowl run.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #32
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8621 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
Yeah Yeah, Don't need to bring up that bad memory.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #33
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

DAVID ANDERSON IS THE MISSING PEIECE to our SB run !!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read