Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-18-2012   #1
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jets linebacker Calvin Pace says Pats run “borderline illegal” offense

Quote:
Jets linebacker Calvin Pace says Pats run “borderline illegal” offense

Calvin Pace says the Pats’ fast paced offense has always been a challenge, and now stopping it is even tougher.

“It’s borderline illegal because sometimes the guys aren’t always set when they snap the ball,” Pace said Wednesday. “But it’s smart. Why not hurry a team up? I wish we would do it. For a defense, it just puts pressure on you.”

The Patriot’s no-huddle tactic kicks the offense tempo up a notch, leaving some teams scrambling. The Patriots have run 473 plays, 39 more than the next.

“It’s very difficult,” linebacker David Harris said. “You’ll see defenses not even lined up and they’re already running a play. They get a lot of extra yardage because of it. It causes guys to lose their mind. You can see it on film.”
No huddle / hurry up offense has been around for decades.

Is this guy saying it's not "fair"? Kinda' sounds a little whiny for an NFL football player, if you ask me.
Old 10-18-2012   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Jets linebacker Calvin Pace says Pats run “borderline illegal” offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
No huddle / hurry up offense has been around for decades.

Is this guy saying it's not "fair"? Kinda' sounds a little whiny for an NFL football player, if you ask me.
The players are still supposed to set before they snap the ball. It's something that has definitely gotten worse over the years. I swear to God that Peyton Manning would never have gotten away with his BS in the '80s. Frankly, the QBs do the head bobbing, shoulder jerking false starts that used to be called but no longer really are.

So for Pace to say that they're not setting before they snap seems plausible to me. But I haven't watched much Pats ball, so just a general comment.
Old 10-18-2012   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jets linebacker Calvin Pace says Pats run “borderline illegal” offense

What is the rule? The offense has to wait for the defense to set? What is to stop a defense from taking their time in getting set, thus slowing down the offense?

Just curious about the rule, as I have always been under the impression that the offense could snap once the ball is set and the whistle is blown.
Old 10-18-2012   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he is saying that the offense isn't set when they hike the ball...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think he is saying that the offense isn't set when they hike the ball...
ahh, that would make more sense to me.

I'm not saying it's true, need to see video, but a hurry up offense waiting for a defense just seem to undermine the whole point.
Old 10-18-2012   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not saying it's true, need to see video, but a hurry up offense waiting for a defense just seem to undermine the whole point.
I would need to see it too...

But I don't believe there is any time frame that an offense has to be set for. Basically, the nano second everyone on the offense is legally lined up and set I believe they can hike the ball.

Maybe he feels like they are doing the Cali stop at a stop sign instead of doing a full stop...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What is the rule? The offense has to wait for the defense to set? What is to stop a defense from taking their time in getting set, thus slowing down the offense?

Just curious about the rule, as I have always been under the impression that the offense could snap once the ball is set and the whistle is blown.
To my knowledge once the officials tell the clock to start the offense can snap the ball as long as they are set regardless of what the defense is doing.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2012   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think its legal, but I also think its cheap.
Trying to catch a defense in the middle of a substitution is a little bush league to me

Its fair by the rules, but its taking advantage of the purpose of the rule
Old 10-18-2012   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
To my knowledge once the officials tell the clock to start the offense can snap the ball as long as they are set regardless of what the defense is doing.
My thoughts, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I think its legal, but I also think its cheap.
Trying to catch a defense in the middle of a substitution is a little bush league to me

Its fair by the rules, but its taking advantage of the purpose of the rule
I completely disagree. If it's legal, then it's just another strategy to employ in a game full of strategies. Bush league to me is what Tampa Bay was doing at the end of games during victory formations. JMO

The thing is that the opposing team can do it, too (Calvin Pace even wishes his own team would use this tactic).

I wish the Texans would pull this out sometimes. It's a good way to disrupt any rhythm that the defense might be finding, and winning the game is all that really matters at the end of the day. There are no asterisks besides wins and championships.
Old 10-18-2012   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:

The posters below me summed it up pretty well. I was just saying that in decades past, the offense wasn't set if the QB was waving his arms around, snapping his head to and fro, motioning this way and that, and the OL was moving around. The closest thing to crazy back then was the Cowboys OL standing up in unison and then setting, but even that had a clear stopping point at the bottom before they snapped the ball.

I couldn't care less if the defense is ready. They need to be quicker.
Old 10-18-2012   #11
BeerTastesLikeVictory
Custom Title

Rep Power: 30516 BeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I swear to God that Peyton Manning would never have gotten away with his BS in the '80s. Frankly, the QBs do the head bobbing, shoulder jerking false starts that used to be called but no longer really are.
IIRC, Rivers got a couple penalties last Monday for throwing his hands out during a hard count before the ball was snapped. However I don't remember seeing Mr. Manning getting the same treatment for his hard count moves.

*Sig by False Start*
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
-David Daye
BeerTastesLikeVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
The posters below me summed it up pretty well. I was just saying that in decades past, the offense wasn't set if the QB was waving his arms around, snapping his head to and fro, motioning this way and that, and the OL was moving around. The closest thing to crazy back then was the Cowboys OL standing up in unison and then setting, but even that had a clear stopping point at the bottom before they snapped the ball.

I couldn't care less if the defense is ready. They need to be quicker.
My fault for reading your post wrong. Now that I look at it from that perspective, I get exactly what you're saying.

I know this dude is mouthing off because the Jets play the Patriots this week. He's hoping the league tells officials to pay more attention the the Pats no huddle offense.

For some reason, I've just grown to really dislike the Jets the past few years. Not sure why, but something about them just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's all the undeserved hype or something...
Old 10-19-2012   #13
majestrate
Veteran

Section: 308 17/18
Rep Power: 5020 majestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerTastesLikeVictory View Post
IIRC, Rivers got a couple penalties last Monday for throwing his hands out during a hard count before the ball was snapped. However I don't remember seeing Mr. Manning getting the same treatment for his hard count moves.
The BS thing is that on the first call, he barely moved his head. On the second call, he hadn't moved at all. That official was a jacknape and should've been punched until his vision cleared up.

signed,
a fantasy football owner with phillip rivers as one of his QBs, still a bit upset at how that game turned out
majestrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012   #14
majestrate
Veteran

Section: 308 17/18
Rep Power: 5020 majestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My fault for reading your post wrong. Now that I look at it from that perspective, I get exactly what you're saying.

I know this dude is mouthing off because the Jets play the Patriots this week. He's hoping the league tells officials to pay more attention the the Pats no huddle offense.

For some reason, I've just grown to really dislike the Jets the past few years. Not sure why, but something about them just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's all the undeserved hype or something...
Blame it all on Rex Ryan, that's what I do, and I think it works. That pompous ass.
majestrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012   #15
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
[b]What is the rule? The offense has to wait for the defense to set? What is to stop a defense from taking their time in getting set, thus slowing down the offense?

The offense has to be "set" for 1 second. It's been that way for ever and Peyton with the Colts, Brady now, and I'm sure a few others are blatantly ignoring it and getting away with.

But then, as I've read here before, this ain't the game your Daddy/Grandpa knew. And me for that matter.

The rules are now out the window and IMO bsht. A rule is a rule.

The play the Panthers ran at the goal line last season is a prime example. Every lineman standing up, moving around, swinging arms, moving feet and then Cam hands the ball to another guy who wasn't set. We all saw it. Illegal as hell but a score. YouTube it and see if you think it follows the rules. Let me save you some time. It DIDN'T. Absolutely an illegal play. The score stood and I was and still am livid.

Same thing with Peyton and others as well.

Total BS!

Opposing opinions?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
The Texans sent video of Manning and the Colts asking why they were not being flagged. The league basically said Manning gets to do what he wants. Total BS.

They also used to have multiple WR, TE or RB moving in to hear Manning at the same time which should have drawn flags as well.
Old 10-19-2012   #17
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67767 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont get why more offenses dont hurry up all the time. Once the defense has the wrong personnel in its clearly an advantage. It's almost like taking the defensive coordinator out of the equation to. I think some offensive coordinators either have no faith in their qb or they have such egos they choose not to take advantage.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
I dont get why more offenses dont hurry up all the time. Once the defense has the wrong personnel in its clearly an advantage. It's almost like taking the defensive coordinator out of the equation to. I think some offensive coordinators either have no faith in their qb or they have such egos they choose not to take advantage.
There are only so many plays you can run from a single formation or personnel package. It makes it a little more predictable.

Unless you have a very mature offense, like the Pats do & the Colts did, where you can add many plays per package, it would only be a matter of time before the defense catches you.
Old 10-19-2012   #19
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67767 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
There are only so many plays you can run from a single formation or personnel package. It makes it a little more predictable.

Unless you have a very mature offense, like the Pats do & the Colts did, where you can add many plays per package, it would only be a matter of time before the defense catches you.
Ehh. I dont know that I can agree with this. Some offenses (like a joe pendry style lol) might become predictible. Some coordinators have a hundred or more plays they can run out of a single formation. An offense like the raiders probably couldnt pull it off regularly but kubiak could. Have you see his denny's menu errr play card?
powda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Ehh. I dont know that I can agree with this. Some offenses (like a joe pendry style lol) might become predictible. Some coordinators have a hundred or more plays they can run out of a single formation. An offense like the raiders probably couldnt pull it off regularly but kubiak could. Have you see his denny's menu errr play card?
I think we're saying the same thing. With Schaub & most of this offense.. Aj, OD, KDub, Chris Myers.... being here for 6 years in this offense, I'm sure we could pull it off.

The Chargers, not so much. High probability their going to throw the ball. With a decent pass rush..... there's only so many routes you need to cover.... You get what you had last week.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read