Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-15-2012   #21
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reliant's Turf

Seriously though. I recall at least two times Arian, and another time where Tate went down with no contact seemingly because of the turf.

That's just off the top of my head.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #22
SwoLy-D
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 SwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respected

Wasn't there a game played there the night before?
SwoLy-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm officially on the Reliant turf sucks bandwagon. I thought it was mostly cosmetic but I think we are growing grass with poor root systems or something. The grass seems weak and there are seams everywhere. Time for field turf and stop trying to grow grass indoors/outdoors on palates. Too bad we didn't think of the Arizona solution when we built this one.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
What is up with the turf tonight? I've seen about half a dozen times when Texans have slipped down with either no contact or what seems to be very minor contact. I haven't noticed it happening to the Packers, but might have just been tuning it out. Could it be cleats or something?
You know... we "cried" about the turf before the play-offs last season. However, the turf didn't pose any problem what-so-ever to anyone but the Texans.

Why is it just a problem for us? Why didn't we see any Packers slipping & sliding & tearing their achilles?
Old 10-15-2012   #25
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 87188 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
You know... we "cried" about the turf before the play-offs last season. However, the turf didn't pose any problem what-so-ever to anyone but the Texans.

Why is it just a problem for us? Why didn't we see any Packers slipping & sliding & tearing their achilles?
did you notice all their knee injuries?
Old 10-15-2012   #26
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Because they were too busy tearing up their knees.

Quote:
Green Bay's 42-14 win at Houston came at a steep price. Coach Mike McCarthy, who usually withholds any revealing information about the severity of injuries after a game was upfront.

“Unfortunately, we have some potentially serious injuries,” McCarthy said.

Linebacker D.J. Smith and RB Brandon Saine crumpled to the turf and left the game with significant right knee injuries. Both wore grimaces on their faces as they were helped off the field by trainers. In the locker room, they both were on crutches with their knees wrapped.

"We feel the injuries are significant,” McCarthy said of Smith and Saine. “We'll have to recover from that and move on.”

But that wasn't all.

Outside linebacker Nick Perry also left the game with a knee injury. Though he was seen walking around and laughing on the sideline during the game, he didn't return. In the fourth quarter, CB Sam Shields left the game after being kicked in the shin. Before being carted off the field, Shields could be seen angrily slamming his hand against the bench on the sideline, while talking to a trainer.

Even QB Aaron Rodgers had a slight limp as he walked off the field late in the fourth quarter. Rodgers' leg was receiving medical attention on the sideline after he departed, though it didn't appear serious.

The specifics and severity of the injuries won't be known until McCarthy addresses the media late on Monday, and even then he may not have or provide much information.
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #27
sandmanx
Veteran

Rep Power: 2264 sandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know why the team doesn't go with field turf. It seems the field is in bad shape for several games each year.
sandmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #28
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

We've seen other teams come into Reliant and have problems. we can't point to a single game where the issue didn't come up (for one side or both sides) and say that there's not a problem. Over the years we've seen so many plays affected by slipping players (ours and theirs) that this issue is really not something I think is debateable anymore. There's a problem.
Old 10-16-2012   #29
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1720 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah but the turf "ranks " high in league.

Believe me I hate the field also but got jumped on here cause I guess I did not LOVE all things Texans.
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #30
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans Sux 72 View Post
Yeah but the turf "ranks " high in league.

Believe me I hate the field also but got jumped on here cause I guess I did not LOVE all things Texans.
Don't take it so personal. The opinions of fans on this are about the most irrelevant of any issue in football. The players want the grass. For me that is the end of the story.

And Doc I am sorry but you can't ascribe every knee injury which happens to the turf. Darelle Revis blew his knee without contact on a non-trayed grass field. It happens every weekend in the NFL. Then there are all sorts of contact knee injuries having nothing to do with the turf like Cushing.
Old 10-16-2012   #31
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub said the field was how it always is.

And players slip on every field.

I don't know if they use the same type of surface for highschool and college games, but my brother and two brother in laws have played in reliant multiple times. None if them complained about the field.

Maybe they give high school and college players the good stuff.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #32
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

I wonder how difficult and expensive it would be to modify the stadium to what Arizona is doing? In looking at pictures of the stadium, it appears to me visually it could be accomplished.
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #33
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53113 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
I wonder how difficult and expensive it would be to modify the stadium to what Arizona is doing? In looking at pictures of the stadium, it appears to me visually it could be accomplished.
I think it would be incredibly expensive, if not impossible. You'd have to redesign and reconstruct supporting structures for one end zone's stands and roof.

They will go to field turf 10 times over before the even consider that solution.

As someone already pointed out, players want to play on grass, and how "bad" the field looks to us makes no difference. Heard ND Kalu on the radio earlier in the week discussing this, and he said he had no problem with the Texans field when he played here. He said it was a little harder than other natural grass fields, but much better than any artificial turf he played on.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #34
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
I think it would be incredibly expensive, if not impossible. You'd have to redesign and reconstruct supporting structures for one end zone's stands and roof.

They will go to field turf 10 times over before the even consider that solution.

As someone already pointed out, players want to play on grass, and how "bad" the field looks to us makes no difference. Heard ND Kalu on the radio earlier in the week discussing this, and he said he had no problem with the Texans field when he played here. He said it was a little harder than other natural grass fields, but much better than any artificial turf he played on.
Open air stadium are constructed to allow full sun to the grass and extensive as-needed watering. Grass on pallets to begin with are more difficult to care for. Not moving the pallets out for periods of time can have a negative effect on the grass. Moving the pallets too often can have a traumatic effect. Watering techniques and needs inside and outside the stadium differ and their effects on the grass can be significant. Once the grass is damaged, return to "health" within a pallet is a much more difficult and lengthy process than if part of the natural ground. All of this, along with not replacing the pallets as needed, has very damaging effects on the root systems, resulting in cleats throwing clumps creating holes and divots throughout the field. I spoke to one of the grounds keepers involved in the care of this system near the beginning of the stadium's existence who mentioned a significant concern of these clumps coming up right at the seams of the pallets creating significant hazard spots where pseudo separations would easily catch a player's cleats.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #35
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
There was word that they would have a field turf surface for the non texan games, but it wasn't used for UH-RICE or SHSU-SFA so I don't know what gives.
That policy goes into effect next year, 2013.

Turf for non-NFL events coming to Reliant Stadium

The article mentions that it would be used this year, but I heard on the radio today that they will start using it next year. I do not know the reason(s) for the delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Schaub said the field was how it always is.

And players slip on every field.

I don't know if they use the same type of surface for highschool and college games, but my brother and two brother in laws have played in reliant multiple times. None if them complained about the field.

Maybe they give high school and college players the good stuff.
yep, my son said the same thing. He said the players love playing at Reliant, both for the atmosphere and because the field is great.
Old 10-17-2012   #36
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
That policy goes into effect next year, 2013.

Turf for non-NFL events coming to Reliant Stadium

The article mentions that it would be used this year, but I heard on the radio today that they will start using it next year. I do not know the reason(s) for the delay.

yep, my son said the same thing. He said the players love playing at Reliant, both for the atmosphere and because the field is great.
While "Great" might not not exactly describe their response, the NFLPA player survey done after the 2010 season clearly did not indicate any perceived problem on the part of those who play on it on Sundays. It ranked Reliant as 7th best of the 18 natural grass playing surfaces currently used by the NFL (artificial surfaces were ranked separately). Then again, I'm sure that those watching on TV or from the stands probably have a more informed opinion than the actual players who use it, so nevermind.

LINK
Old 10-17-2012   #37
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 87188 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nick Perry said in an interview in Milwaukee that the field was like playing on carpet, it was terrible.
Old 10-17-2012   #38
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

I was watching other games on League Pass on Sunday and was commenting to my friend how many players were slipping at the line of scrimmage trying to change direction...and these were on the field turf. In other words, I didn't see any more slipping in our game than I did in the other games. During our game, I could really notice more seams than usual as well, and it appeared to be getting chewed up more than normal. I blame global warming.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #39
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Somehow this morphed from a "Guys were slipping and sliding all over the place" thread to a "It looks bad and we don't like it" thread.

But hey, if the players want to play on it then by all means, have at it guys.
Old 10-18-2012   #40
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53113 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Open air stadium are constructed to allow full sun to the grass and extensive as-needed watering. Grass on pallets to begin with are more difficult to care for. Not moving the pallets out for periods of time can have a negative effect on the grass. Moving the pallets too often can have a traumatic effect. Watering techniques and needs inside and outside the stadium differ and their effects on the grass can be significant. Once the grass is damaged, return to "health" within a pallet is a much more difficult and lengthy process than if part of the natural ground. All of this, along with not replacing the pallets as needed, has very damaging effects on the root systems, resulting in cleats throwing clumps creating holes and divots throughout the field. I spoke to one of the grounds keepers involved in the care of this system near the beginning of the stadium's existence who mentioned a significant concern of these clumps coming up right at the seams of the pallets creating significant hazard spots where pseudo separations would easily catch a player's cleats.
I don't have any argument with any of this.

At least in theory, the damage to the grass and root system due to lack of water, light or due to trauma can be solved by having enough trays outside, getting back to health. I've mentioned before, that the seams and potential inconsistencies from tray to tray are the two biggest problems with this system, if in fact those are big enough issues. And I'm not sure that there is a solution.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read