Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-15-2012   #1
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Super Bowl winners who have had their butts handed to them in the regular season

How about a thread dedicated to blatantly rationalizing last night's debacle?

Last year the New York Giants were throttled in a 49-24 embarrassment administered by the New Orleans Saints. That was a road game for the Giants but the final spread was a full touchdown larger than what we saw last night.

Anyone got any other examples?
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Bowl winners who have had their butts handed to them in the regular season

They didn't win the Super Bowl, but the 2008 Cardinals lost 48-20 against the Eagles and 47-7 against the Patriots. Both away games though.

The 2006 Colts lost 44-17 to the Jaguars while the Bears that year lost 31-13 to the Dolphins.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #3
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Bowl winners who have had their butts handed to them in the regular season

Bills beat the Patriots 31 to 0 in 2003. New England went on to go 14 and 2 and win the superbowl.
Old 10-15-2012   #4
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72216 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

I won't look back but I am pretty confident the last two NYG teams that won the SB had tons of losses that had their fans wondering if they'd even make he playoffs, let alone win it all. Both teams lost at least 6 games and their HC was fired in the media in both seasons.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Last year, the Redskins beat the Giants twice 28-10 and 23-10.

The Skins went 3-11 against the rest of the league.

The second loss to the Skins had the Giants at 7-7 and seemingly out of the picture for the play-offs.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #6
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
I won't look back but I am pretty confident the last two NYG teams that won the SB had tons of losses that had their fans wondering if they'd even make he playoffs, let alone win it all. Both teams lost at least 6 games and their HC was fired in the media in both seasons.
You don't even need to search for a rout with NYG from last year. Losing 23-10 at home to the Redskins was awful.
Old 10-15-2012   #7
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

The second loss to the Skins had the Giants at 7-7 and seemingly out of the picture for the play-offs.
Beat me to it.

I watched that 2nd game...that was some of the worst football I had seen the Giants play in a VERY long time.
Old 10-15-2012   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

In 07, the Giants was trashed by an 8-8 Vikings team 17-41
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #9
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
They didn't win the Super Bowl, but the 2008 Cardinals lost 48-20 against the Eagles and 47-7 against the Patriots. Both away games though.

The 2006 Colts lost 44-17 to the Jaguars while the Bears that year lost 31-13 to the Dolphins.
That game was played while it was snowing in Foxboro. Can't really fault a team being unprepared for that too much. That team was really good though, and I was pulling for them to beat the Steelers.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #10
ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
That game was played while it was snowing in Foxboro. Can't really fault a team being unprepared for that too much. That team was really good though, and I was pulling for them to beat the Steelers.
They had already won the division, too.

And in that SB, I know I thought Zona would win after that long TD with Fitzgerald.
Old 10-15-2012   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

In 2003, the year the Super Bowl was played at Reliant, the Texans played both teams during the regular season (at Reliant).

They beat the Panthers that season 14-10, and took the Patriots to overtime where they lost 23-20.

That was the second year of the Texans existence and they went 5-11 for the season. Good teams lose to bad teams all the time.
Old 10-15-2012   #12
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
In 2003, the year the Super Bowl was played at Reliant, the Texans played both teams during the regular season (at Reliant).

They beat the Panthers that season 14-10, and took the Patriots to overtime where they lost 23-20.

That was the second year of the Texans existence and they went 5-11 for the season. Good teams lose to bad teams all the time.
Quite true DB, though I don't consider GB a "bad team". They got hosed in Seattle in prime time. Like's been said in other threads, their back was against the wall, and they wanted it more. And they took it.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Quite true DB, though I don't consider GB a "bad team". They got hosed in Seattle in prime time. Like's been said in other threads, their back was against the wall, and they wanted it more. And they took it.
Oh, I don't, either. I was telling a few of my family members last week to not underestimate GB. Their 2-3 record did not mean anything. This is a team with a likely HoF QB, 15-1 record last year, and just a season removed from winning a Super Bowl.

My main point in my previous post was in the spirit of this thread, i.e. good teams losing to bad teams. We've seen it as Texans fans. Heck, I remember the first time we beat Indy, 2006 with David Carr on Christmas Eve, and they went on to win the Super Bowl.

But yeah, there is nothing to be ashamed of when losing to a good team. Although, I would say there is some shame in HOW they lost to that team last night.
Old 10-15-2012   #14
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

They had a bad game, obviously their heads (from the coaches on down) weren't into the game. That's correctable. We've seen them whip butt before, they can do it again. And frankly, I'm glad if this loss get's it out of their system (whatever "it" was). If you're gonna lose a game, a non-conferance game is the one to lose.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
They had a bad game, obviously their heads (from the coaches on down) weren't into the game. That's correctable. We've seen them whip butt before, they can do it again. And frankly, I'm glad if this loss get's it out of their system (whatever "it" was). If you're gonna lose a game, a non-conferance game is the one to lose.
yep. I told my son before the Monday game against the Jets to not be surprised if they lost one out of the next two.

I asked him which game he'd lose if he had to pick, and he said the Packers for that same reason. Plus, neither of us likes the Jets, and since we'd never beaten them, it seemed like a no-brainer.

I think that game drained them, and they probably rested on the hype from a mental standpoint. GB had to win that game or go 2-4 in a division that is looking tough, so they had a lot more to lose and a lot to proven going into it.
Old 10-15-2012   #16
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 30463 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Philadelphia Eagles 40 at San Francisco 49ers 8
Sunday, October 2, 1994
LINK

Oh, and Kubiak was the QB coach of that team.
paycheck71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #17
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70694 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

I personally wouldn't count inter-division rivalries in the equation, because most teams build their team to compete 1st and foremost within their division, then within their conference, and then for inter-conference play.
Old 10-15-2012   #18
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

we got destroyed by the packers
packers gave up an 18 point lead in a loss to the colts
49ers got killed by the giants
giants were whooped on opening day
ravens uglied it up against the chiefs
patriots are 3-3
seattle's being handed games and still has 2 losses

everybody's got a game so far that they didnt bother showing up for. only the falcons have been able to squeak out games that they werent at their best so far.
Old 10-15-2012   #19
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

In 1985, the 12-0 Chicago Bears played the 8-4 Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins handed the Bears the only defeat of their championship season 38-24.

IIRC, the Bears defense gave up less than 13 points per game that year, including the 38 given up in the Dolphins game.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #20
PandapuffTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 337 PandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

getting your butt handed to in regular season can really expose hidden faults..if patched u by playoffs can really push team over hump
PandapuffTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read