Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-15-2012   #41
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Besides Watt, D-line simply just not getting done this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
With Cushing out the two best players in this front7 are 3-4 DE's (Watt and Smith). With no edge rush its hard to beat great passing offenses.
Concur. I watched every passing down of the Jets game on coaches film and Barwin was awful. Absolutely completely manhandled every play. Furgeson just threw him on the ground repeatedly.

Tonight didn't look all that different.

I guess the good news is he's not going to hurt the salary cap.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #42
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade Phillips sucks!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #43
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Wade Phillips sucks!
Haha... I was waiting for that! I know you're just joking, but I'm surprised Wade hasn't been getting bashed in here like he should be. IMO, the defense played worse than the offense.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #44
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Haha... I was waiting for that! I know you're just joking, but I'm surprised Wade hasn't been getting bashed in here like he should be. IMO, the defense played worse than the offense.
I'm only half joking!

Who drafted Mercilus?

Who is responsible for how many snaps a player get?

Who is responsible to ramp up the outside pass rush?
Old 10-15-2012   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm just going to say last year we had a guy for the first five weeks of the season who could rush the passer from the outside. Though we don't like to give him a lot of credit, because it didn't "look" like he gave 100% effort on every play, everyone across the DL (with the exception of Cody) was getting to the QB.

Even the reserves like Brooks Reed & Tim Jamison had a sack or a few QB pressures by this time last year. When that guy was in the game, we didn't have to rush the ILBs, they focused on stopping the run. We didn't have to blitz our DBs, they focused on defending the pass.

When that guy went out, we started blitzing the ILB, then our DBs. That guy had led the team in sacks for 6 weeks after he left due to injuries.

When that guy left via free agency, outside pass rusher became our #1 priority in the offseason. We drafted one guy.

But we had a third year player who looked like the pass rusher we needed, Connor Barwin. However, he only had one good year, after being hurt week 1 of his sophomore year. Could we trust him to come back & do it again? Be productive in his 4th season? A contract year?

We also had two phenominal rookies, Jj Watt & Brooks Reed. Would the sophomore slump catch up to these guys? Jj Watt...... not yet. Brooks? He's shown flashes.

But yes, our biggest problem this year is our pass rush. We simply do not appear to have enough talent among the front four to consistently pressure QBs with average or better OLs.

Time to panic?

I don't think so. Why? Wade.

Up until today, our guys have been learning the theory. You could tell, watching as they tried to rotate on the back end through various blitz packages. Tomorrow, they're going to look at the film, they're going to match that theory with the practical lessons they learned today. They'll have a good week of practice. It won't be perfect next week. But by the time December & January comes around..... I'm getting excited, thinking about it.
Old 10-15-2012   #46
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 21296 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I thought he had an open hand And did three quick taps when I saw it. I could have been wrong
Completely irrelevant.
Rule book says "throwing a punch" can happen with either a closed fist or open palm. Throwing hands in any capacity is illegal.

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #47
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Indeed but one of them is getting a lot of chances to make his number go up while the other two are not. I'd kind of like to see Mercilus play more too. It's not like Conner is having a repeat of his 2011 campaign. He's actually looking a lot more like he did in 2010 when he was on the sideline hurt. At least in terms of sacks.
The bad thing is Seattle sacked Rogers 7 times in the 1st half . Chris Clemons had 4 sacks for the game .

On a sidenote ... Barwin is costing himself a bunch of money .
Old 10-15-2012   #48
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

One big thing I'm having trouble with is with Cushing done, with the most used 5th pass rushing option done, why are they trying to fill in THAT with GQ??? I mean, Quin can bring the hammer but that's as a safety. Trying to stick him in at LB is basically screaming "RUN THE BALL AT ME!" He'll get eaten alive by any OL, giving up probably at least 100 pounds to every starter in the league.

Anyway, my point is since Cushing is out, you don't have to replace him with a guy standing in the middle. It could very well be Mercilus that picks up that pass rushing slack, at a completely different position.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #49
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
One big thing I'm having trouble with is with Cushing done, with the most used 5th pass rushing option done, why are they trying to fill in THAT with GQ??? I mean, Quin can bring the hammer but that's as a safety. Trying to stick him in at LB is basically screaming "RUN THE BALL AT ME!" He'll get eaten alive by any OL, giving up probably at least 100 pounds to every starter in the league.

Anyway, my point is since Cushing is out, you don't have to replace him with a guy standing in the middle. It could very well be Mercilus that picks up that pass rushing slack, at a completely different position.
Looked like to me Quinn was playing about the same role he's been playing since last year when we go nickel and dime.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #50
SwoLy-D
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 SwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respected

It was a stellar offensive line for which we did not have an answer. That was the difference between this and the previous games. They are that much smarter than our DEs and nose tackles. :o The previous OLs did not know how to handle our 3-4'ish rush.

Better yet, Watt was being doubled and whoever was left 1 on 1 with Barwin and the OLB who played the edge were better than our line.
SwoLy-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #51
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

didn't read the thread, but I think the dline is playing well...the LB's are another story.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #52
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

our OLB's seem to be causing more trouble for our own guys than the opponents'. too many times i'll see them push wide and then stunt nowhere - effectively leading their blocker into the DE for a double team while the OLB does nothing.
Old 10-15-2012   #53
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23727 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Wade Phillips sucks!
Think he needs to spend more time on worrying about being the DC for the Texans than what Head Coaching job he can get next year.

This defense is no where near what the defense was last year. We have 1 guy that can actually get to the QB. When he was being blocked by 3 OL - where was the rest of the DL?????

The defense should have had a field day against GB. We made then look real good last night.

We did not look good against the Jets either. If we cannot come back and crush the Ravens, we will be lucky to finish 8-8.
Old 10-15-2012   #54
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Looked like to me Quinn was playing about the same role he's been playing since last year when we go nickel and dime.
Then maybe it was Cushing next to him allowing that to be a succesful package, but Bradie James and GQ aren't enough to handle run stopping in ANY package, let alone one without a true NT.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #55
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Then maybe it was Cushing next to him allowing that to be a succesful package, but Bradie James and GQ aren't enough to handle run stopping in ANY package, let alone one without a true NT.
Against a single-back, 3 WR set, every team in the league counter with the same defensive personnel like we did.

They'd be in nickel or dime, depending on down and distance and how the DC likes to go about it on certain "special" occasion.
Old 10-15-2012   #56
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The "bulls on parade" defense looked more like "fools on charades" last night. Massive hole where Cushing used to be - get used to it - and weak sauce pressure from the ends put our coverage in a position to get burned all night. The Texans did get to make history last night. 6 TD passes are now a Green Bay record. Yeah, that's nice.
Old 10-15-2012   #57
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Can a player win Defensive Player of the week after a loss?

"After a pair of sacks on Sunday night in the loss to Green Bay, defensive end J.J. Watt regained the NFLís sack lead with nine. Throw in four tackles for loss and three quarterback hurries, and Watt filled in the stat sheet once again in 2012."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...2-aa4d271a7541

The guy is just a monster.
I salute, you, Mr. Watt!

Old 10-15-2012   #58
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The "bulls on parade" defense looked more like "fools on charades" last night. Massive hole where Cushing used to be - get used to it - and weak sauce pressure from the ends put our coverage in a position to get burned all night. The Texans did get to make history last night. 6 TD passes are now a Green Bay record. Yeah, that's nice.
I'm just hoping that Ruud will be better.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #59
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Amazing what a pass rush does for your team. This team is almost unbeatable when they have their pass rush going.
stingray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #60
PandapuffTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 337 PandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

idk they looked pretty good agaisnt the ravens..
PandapuffTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read