Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-14-2012   #61
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jacoby Jones is looking good....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
F#@% Jacoby. His interests conflict with ours.

He helped our conference rivals today win a game they should've lost.
Exactly.

He wears the uniform of the rivals of our time.

The Ravens beat us out of the playoffs last year and now they are competing for home field advantage in the playoffs against us this year.

Jacoby's play help them win a game they easily could have lost.

This is the same reason I hate Fantasy football so damn much.
Old 10-14-2012   #62
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
No, it's not our fault for having high expectations of him. I started out with an open mind and high hopes like I do for all Texans draft picks. I, just like every Texan fan in the world saw signs of what could be for the first year or two. He'd do something incredible then do something retarded. He'd catch a pass you couldn't imagine anyone even seeing and then drop a pass that hit him right square in the numbers. Young guys do that and you hope they become more reliable, not less. He got chance after chance to step up and he never could do it. The disappearing act he did in his last season here was the final straw for me. When the team needed him most to step up he vanished. Then, when they got to the playoffs and advanced to Baltimore he couldn't just stay gone. He couldn't just quietly do his usual sub-par job. No, he had to pull that **** with the punt and put us in a hole. We would have been better off if he'd missed the plane.

Frankly I hate the guy and the thought of him ever getting a ring makes me nauseous in the same way that Carr having one makes people sick.
This. Let me repeat. THIS!

I'll never forgive him for what he did the playoff game when he was playing for us. And I hope he gets decleated every time he gets the ball.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012   #63
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17946 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacoby might just screw up in the playoffs and cost the raves a game
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012   #64
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
This. Let me repeat. THIS!

I'll never forgive him for what he did the playoff game when he was playing for us. And I hope he gets decleated every time he gets the ball.
For me it isn't about what he did in that playoff game. It was the multiple seasons of him muffing those punts, dropping balls, and his lack of evolvement as a receiver. You could tell the guy just never seemed to have the focus for an NFL player that wants to become a big time player. He seemed perfectly happy making his big play every 4 games or so with a KR here and there. He just always came off as a knucklehead to me. Him screwing up so badly in the playoffs wasn't surprising, but truly was the icing on the cake for the disappointing play he always displayed here. And then having to hear from people that apparently grew up with him and hearing them tell me what a knucklehead he was for real just put my disdain for him over the top. I'm just waiting for him to screw up big time on the Ravens.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #65
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
For me it isn't about what he did in that playoff game. It was the multiple seasons of him muffing those punts, dropping balls, and his lack of evolvement as a receiver.
Funny, Jacoby is gone & the problems still remain....

hmmmm...
Old 10-15-2012   #66
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Why the hate for Jacoby? It's our fault for having high expectations for him.
Jacoby Jones never lived up to his potential as a Texan.

That's ALL on him, not us. He could have worked harder but instead needed the wake-up call of getting cut and signed to another team to start applying himself.

But, under it all, he's still Jacoby Jones. It's just a matter of time before the real Jacoby Jones stands up. Hopefully next week and during a playoff game.
Old 10-15-2012   #67
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 59496 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

But, under it all, he's still Jacoby Jones. It's just a matter of time before the real Jacoby Jones stands up.
and I'd bet money it will be at the most inopportune time

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #68
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That's ALL on him, not us. He could have worked harder but instead needed the wake-up call of getting cut and signed to another team to start applying himself.

But, under it all, he's still Jacoby Jones. It's just a matter of time before the real Jacoby Jones stands up. Hopefully next week and during a playoff game.
I don't understand this sentiment. I just heard ND Kalu on the radio talking about Jacoby's "improvement" as well, but it's not translating into receiving stats. He's on pace for another 500 yards and 2 or 3 TD season, which is about par for what he did here. He had several TD returns in his career as a Texan, so I don't see why one return TD would be all that big of a deal. If he has some more 50+ yard returns, then maybe it speaks more to Coach Joe's system rather than his ability to return kicks well.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #69
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Exactly.

He wears the uniform of the rivals of our time.

The Ravens beat us out of the playoffs last year and now they are competing for home field advantage in the playoffs against us this year.

Jacoby's play help them win a game they easily could have lost.
We all know that Jacoby. The one with the potential to take one back to the house...and does on occasion. He's still the same guy who will let you down in crunch time. I'd bet money on it.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #70
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Guess its easier to blame or single out a specific player instead of replacing the last original Texan coach?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #71
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I don't understand this sentiment. I just heard ND Kalu on the radio talking about Jacoby's "improvement" as well, but it's not translating into receiving stats. He's on pace for another 500 yards and 2 or 3 TD season, which is about par for what he did here. He had several TD returns in his career as a Texan, so I don't see why one return TD would be all that big of a deal. If he has some more 50+ yard returns, then maybe it speaks more to Coach Joe's system rather than his ability to return kicks well.
I'm talking more about Jacoby's attention to avoiding mistakes during punts and kickoffs. That's the only improvement that I would grant him...but, let's see him do it for an entire season without costing the Ravens a game.

I do not think he will ever be that great of a receiver. He has the "ocho cinco" syndrome of being a one trick pony as WR. JMO
Old 10-15-2012   #72
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Really? We expected him to be our #1 receiver when Andre went down. That's on us (or Gary). He's not a number 1, never will be. He's a slot receiver, possible #2, but this unhealthy love we've got for KDub... we didn't have a place for him on this team unless he could replace Andre.

That's on us (or Gary).

In Baltimore, they know what they've got. He's a number three receiver, if Boldin or Torry can't make a game, they're not going to ask Jacoby to be their #1 receiver. One of those other two will & Jacoby will be asked to step his game up a little..... to #2 receiver, to draw some attention away from the #1.

That's on us (or Gary).

He's a knucklehead from Lane College. Shouldn't still be in the NFL. He won't ever be our #1 receiver, but to be a third receiver on a winning NFL team.... that's a success story for anyone but a Texans fan.

Old 10-15-2012   #73
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
High expectations? I think we all just wanted him to become a competent football player, and he never was one as a Texan. He could be an amazing return man and then pull what he did in Baltimore. He could make a big play as a WR and then not show up for 3 or 4 games in a row. He had all the opportunities in the world to succeed here, but he failed. Screw him. I hope he fumbles a punt return next week.
I hope he returns one for a TD. He always tried his best for us, even if he wasn't always successful.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #74
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

When his high school coach comes on Houston airwaves last season and starts talking about Jacoby's immaturity issues and inability to curb his party lifestyle in order to be more devoted to football...well, that's ALL on Jacoby Jones.

Kubiak most likely gave J.J. the benefit of the doubt based on his potential. But, only the individual can fulfill that potential, which is why I feel the way I do. Dedication and devotion are what makes good players great. Jacoby is "good" based on natural talent. He will never be great because he lacks the between-the-ears mentality to elevate his game.
Old 10-15-2012   #75
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
When his high school coach comes on Houston airwaves last season and starts talking about Jacoby's immaturity issues and inability to curb his party lifestyle in order to be more devoted to football...well, that's ALL on Jacoby Jones.
What's his highschool coach know about what Jacoby is doing now?

We've got Arian Foster saying he, Jacoby, & Casey put in extra time after practice working on routes, working on their hands.... who cares what his high-school coach has to say.

He wasn't "great" in high-school, because he wanted to party & live his life.... big whoop. He's living the dream right now, a productive player on one of the best teams in the league.
Old 10-15-2012   #76
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post

We've got Arian Foster saying he, Jacoby, & Casey put in extra time after practice working on routes, working on their hands.... who cares what his high-school coach has to say.

He wasn't "great" in high-school, because he wanted to party & live his life.... big whoop. He's living the dream right now, a productive player on one of the best teams in the league.
Yes, he seems to be growing into his role. It's about time, but I'm glad to see him have some success after the way our fans treated him after the Ravens game last year.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #77
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
Yes, he seems to be growing into his role. It's about time, but I'm glad to see him have some success after the way our fans treated him after the Ravens game last year.
I like Jacoby. I like successs stories. I think Jacoby is a success story. Dude came from nothing.

But he deserved al the criticism he got after his Special Teams performance. I don't think that cost us the game, but it was dumb, too dumb for a player of his tenure.
Old 10-15-2012   #78
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
There was lots of chatter on Houston waves about Jacoby partying on night's before games and not knowing the playbook.

His high school coach just said that has always been his problem.

HE'S STILL FRIENDS WITH JACOBY JONES. That's how he knows what he's doing right now.

Quote:
We've got Arian Foster saying he, Jacoby, & Casey put in extra time after practice working on routes, working on their hands....
Why did the Texans give him an $11 million contract before the 2011 season? They saw something that indicated that he could step up and play.

What they saw must have been all that extra time on the practice field.

Unfortunately, he immediately SUCKED when given the chance.

Quote:
I've said it before and I am now one thousand percent certain -- Jacoby Jones is not an NFL wide receiver and will never be a capable NFL wide receiver. In a league where making 99 percent of the routine plays is barely acceptable, he makes like 80 percent of the routine plays (if that), which would be fine except he has never once made a single play offensively that's bailed out his quarterback. Not a single spectacular offensive play that makes you say "Wow, good thing we have Jacoby Jones on our team." Not one.

When you ask anyone who is pro-Jones what he brings to the table the answers are some variation of "He has great athletic ability" (Big deal, go do the decathlon) or "He's been in the system for five years" (It's football, not a tenured public schools teaching position). And that's just it -- he HAS been in the system five years now, and shows NO progress. Zero. None. He is who he is, a cardboard cutout of a wide receiver who still comes out of breaks and runs routes so carelessly that it looks like Matt Schaub drew the play up in the dirt. He was targeted eleven times yesterday and caught ONE pass for nine yards. If that doesn't reverberate with you then go look at box scores for games around the NFL and see what normal catch-to-target ratios are. To catch one ball and be targeted ELEVEN times, you almost have to be trying not to catch balls. Or you're Jacoby Jones. If you need one easy-to-find shred of evidence that he just doesn't get it, watch the final play. Basic, remedial wide receiver instinct tells you to peel off and run to space in the direction your quarterback is rolling to help your guy make a play. Once the play broke down, Jacoby was clueless and stayed glued to Michael Huff's hip. Bad throw by Schaub, worse improvisation by Jacoby.

Source
Old 10-15-2012   #79
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like that they're getting their hopes up for JJ, he'll kill him when they need him most.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #80
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Wonder if Trindon Holliday returns kicks tonight for Denver? what if he takes one to the house? If that happens it's time to send Joe Marciano a going away party

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read