Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" Rival fans & lighthearted smack talk. Keep it light and leave the mean spirited stuff at home please.

Old 10-12-2012   #41
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 99071 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Titans fans cheer Brian Cushing's injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Straight up TRUTH!! And that says a lot coming from a Giants fan!
Let me set the record straight. I am a Texans fan so that there is no confusion.

The Giants are another team I root for since I lived there and like the fact they are a Cowboys rival. As a kid (long before I lived in NY) I grew up rooting for the Bucs because I loved the Bucco Bruce logo and the orange unis. So the Giants and Bucs are long time 2nd favorite teams I have had behind the Oilers now Texans.

Now that I live in Florida and the Bucs are my current "home" team I am more partial to them again. I actually rooted for the Bucs over the Giants a few weeks ago. That game was going on while I was sitting in the stands fighting with tarps in Jacksonville watching the Texans. I was trying to follow it on my phone however for some reason all of these NFL stadiums block my 4G.

I also wore my Texans hat to the Bucs/Skins game I attended a couple of weeks ago. I found an awesome tailgating group here and made it real clear to them where I just moved from and who my favorite team is.

I just had to set that record straight because I started catching some flak from my brother in law accusing me of having too many favorite teams. I only have ONE "favorite" team and that is the Texans. I just root for a couple of other teams when they are not playing the Texans.

Anyway, that long winded explanation is why I root for the Cowboys over the Titans. It's because my Houston fandom comes before any other teams I might follow and pull for on Sundays.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #42
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Let me set the record straight. I am a Texans fan so that there is no confusion.
Oh, I have no doubt about your fanaticism for the Texans. That has never been in question. You started Texans Talk way back when they were cellar-dwellers, something all of us are eternally grateful to you for!

I just know your second fav team is the Giants, so seeing a Texans (1st!) / Giants fan rooting for the Cowboys when they play the Titans says a lot.

I teach it in my house. When my son was 5 yo, folks would ask (test!) him on his football loyalties. It would inevitably get around to asking who not to root for. His answer was stock: "Never root for the Titans or Cowboys, but you can root for the Cowboys when the play the Titans!"

Yeah, the indoctrination has been passed to another generation.
Old 10-12-2012   #43
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 99071 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
"Never root for the Titans or Cowboys, but you can root for the Cowboys when the play the Titans!"

Yeah, the indoctrination has been passed to another generation.
LOL, that is classic. I don't have kids but if I did they would be saying the same.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012   #44
LondonTex
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3606 LondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respected

First off, any fan that cheers that injury has gotta be a bit sick! I would like to think those types of fans are in the minority...
Secondly, I'm not too familiar with all the NFL rivalries...I know about some of the main ones but not all. When I got my wife to go thru the team pickin' process she ended up rooting for the Saints as she likes their Uniforms and fleur de lis and she likes Brees. I've developed a liking for them as they are her team, in a different conf and also after watching 'Americas game' when they won the SB. Also the whole Katrina thing left me with a soft spot for the area in general... at the same time I'll always have a spot in my heart for NY after 9/11 in the same way some folk have a soft spot for London after the 7/7 bombings we experienced. Also, my brother is a huge Giants fan and the Giants were one of my favourite teams when I first got into NFL, the first jersey I ever owned was a Giants jersey. (I also owned a Patriots Jersey which I wore when I met Ray Lewis, Nate Solder and Steven Jackson in London ...I have since sold that jersey as I settled on Texans as my team and felt dirty wearing it lol...every time I look at the photo of me with Ray Lewis it'll be a constant reminder of my confusion over which NFL team to follow when I first started out....I digress, Anyway, that aside, I wanted to know..is it the 'done thing' for a Texans fan to have a soft spot for the Saints or the Giants
Old 10-14-2012   #45
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
The Steelers never betrayed our fan base. They only did to our fan base what they were supposed to do.

I even still root for the Cowboys over the Titans.
Same here!! I make it easy on myself though. The only time I watch the Titans or Cowboys is when they play the TEXANS!! I watched Jeff Dunham Thursday night, and the only time the Cowboys are on my TV screen for any length of time is when I'm channel surfing FF news. I just don't see any reason to ruin my day by watching either team if I don't have to.

For LondonTex. Not sure what you mean by "done thing" but for this old football fan, my third most hated team is the Saints! Titans #1, Cowboys #2, and Saints #3, and they are slowly moving up to #2 spot. As much as we hate to admit it, at least the Cowboys SB wins were legit.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012   #46
LondonTex
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3606 LondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Not sure what you mean by "done thing" but for this old football fan, my third most hated team is the Saints! Titans #1, Cowboys #2, and Saints #3, and they are slowly moving up to #2 spot. As much as we hate to admit it, at least the Cowboys SB wins were legit.
For example...it's the done thing to dislike the packers if you're a bears fan or the Patriots if you're a Jets fan etc. I know the Texans really dislike the Titans but I just wanted to know if the Saints are also a huge rival because of their geographical location or because of past games etc. How come you don't like the saints?
Old 10-14-2012   #47
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonTex View Post
How come you don't like the saints?
Because my favorite coach (Bum Phillips) and RB (Earl Campbell) of all time went there after that good for nothing POS Bud Adams sent them packing! I know, they chose to go, but, it's just a thorn in my side, and always has been. Bum and Earl were OUR'S, the heart and soul of our Oilers, and I just didn't want to see another team have them. Kinda dumb attitude, but, I was that passionate about our Oilers!! If we couldn't have them, I didn't want anyone else to either! In hindsight I know that was/is a selfish and immature thought process, but, diehard passionate football fans are just that way sometimes! We don't always think clearly when it comes to our fav team!

For several years, after Bum and Earl left the Saints, I really didn't give them much thought, and didn't care one way or another. After the TEXANS were born, we had a Saints fan invade this MB, and my dislike for this person became so intense it fired up that old hate thing I had buried concerning the Saints. I just can't make myself like them, and I have tried. Been to several games in NOLA and most Saints fans are pretty cool now. I guess old passions just run pretty deep for some of us.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012   #48
LondonTex
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Because my favorite coach (Bum Phillips) and RB (Earl Campbell) of all time went there after that good for nothing POS Bud Adams sent them packing! I know, they chose to go, but, it's just a thorn in my side, and always has been. Bum and Earl were OUR'S, the heart and soul of our Oilers, and I just didn't want to see another team have them. Kinda dumb attitude, but, I was that passionate about our Oilers!! If we couldn't have them, I didn't want anyone else to either! In hindsight I know that was/is a selfish and immature thought process, but, diehard passionate football fans are just that way sometimes! We don't always think clearly when it comes to our fav team!

For several years, after Bum and Earl left the Saints, I really didn't give them much thought, and didn't care one way or another. After the TEXANS were born, we had a Saints fan invade this MB, and my dislike for this person became so intense it fired up that old hate thing I had buried concerning the Saints. I just can't make myself like them, and I have tried. Been to several games in NOLA and most Saints fans are pretty cool now. I guess old passions just run pretty deep for some of us.
Ahh I see. I'm learning new stuff all the time. I'm passionate about sports too and I always find it hard letting it go when a sports-person does something that I find offensive or harms a player/manager of my team. Or they may do or say something I take personally and from then on it's guilt by association and I can't support anything they do or any team they play for. My wife thinks I take my sports too seriously (which damn straight, I do lol) and I can certainly relate to your feelings somewhat. In terms of the topic of the thread and somewhat tied in to what you and I are discussing, I'll always remember those Titan fans laughing re: cush's injury and it leaves a bad taste...I know they ain't all like that but I'll have even more reason to delight when we hammer them from now on!
Old 10-14-2012   #49
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 56442 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anyway, that aside, I wanted to know..is it the 'done thing' for a Texans fan to have a soft spot for the Saints or the Giants
No, hate everything New York (sportswise). And the Saints are the most annoying team, have the most annoying fans (that won't go back home after our city took them in) and though this is more on the media, playing the Katrina card every time the Saints are on TV is way past old. They are not the only city on the planet ever hit by a hurricane. Hell, we've had a pretty bad one since then (Ike) and you never ever ever ever hear any mention of that.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012   #50
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90752 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

The Saints are my second hated team behind the Tacks only because of how much I hate the state of Louisiana and most of the coon-asses that live there. Their fan base is annoying and generally classless and their SB win is tainted by their pay for injury play. The Katrina thing is ridiculously overblown by the fact that crap hole New Orleans is still rebuilding while other cities like Houston got hit by a hurricane yet we are somehow able to take care of it without flooding other cities with crime and asking the government for hand outs for years afterwards.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012   #51
LondonTex
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
No, hate everything New York (sportswise). And the Saints are the most annoying team, have the most annoying fans (that won't go back home after our city took them in) and though this is more on the media, playing the Katrina card every time the Saints are on TV is way past old. They are not the only city on the planet ever hit by a hurricane. Hell, we've had a pretty bad one since then (Ike) and you never ever ever ever hear any mention of that.
I heard of Ike and that it was a big one. I could be wrong but I always thought Katrina was mentioned a lot was cuz the death toll was so high. I didn't know that re: mentioning it all of the time on TV...why do they do that?

I'd probably feel the same if I was from Texas. I only like them cuz the wife does...I may have to try to get her on board the Texan train
Old 10-14-2012   #52
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Would y'all really expect more from the Tinnbred fans? They're as classless as Pud Adams himself!
Old 10-14-2012   #53
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90752 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I heard of Ike and that it was a big one. I could be wrong but I always thought Katrina was mentioned a lot was cuz the death toll was so high. I didn't know that re: mentioning it all of the time on TV...why do they do that?

I'd probably feel the same if I was from Texas. I only like them cuz the wife does...I may have to try to get her on board the Texan train
The death toll was so high because the people of New Orleans were too stupid to heed the warnings to leave their crappy city. Then it increased because their city is full of criminals. They mention Katrina because we are all supposed to feel bad for people who live off welfare who can't help themselves out of any situation since they're so used to the US government supporting them.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read