Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-12-2012   #21
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Johnson

I expect Andre to bounce back in a big way against the Pack. Part of that is Andre. Part is the Pack pass defense.
Old 10-12-2012   #22
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

He's been MIA...sucks but gotta call a spade a spade. All his greatness in years past has zero bearing on what he's done this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #23
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
He's been MIA...sucks but gotta call a spade a spade. All his greatness in years past has zero bearing on what he's done this year.
He had a pretty good game on opening day.
Old 10-12-2012   #24
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been saying that Andre just isn't Andre this year. He's definitely lost a step. But he's big enough, strong enough, and smart enough to still beat cornerbacks. Usually.

But I think it's eating at him. I think he's starting to lose confidence and he's starting to press. That's why he's dropping passes he normally would have caught.

We need one or two of the young receivers to step up and start producing to pull up the slack. I think this offense could be insanely good if we could see that happen.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #25
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17946 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I think it's hard to say what's going on. I certainly don't think Lombardi has the necessary information to say AJ is in decline. Enough to suggest it's possible? Sure. As as has been pointed out the team just doesn't rely on him the way they once did but when he's needed he's been there, at least up until this year. This year he's mostly been quiet and we can't say yet whether it's because of AJ or because of the way the games are shaking out. The Texans seem to be trying to keep him healthy for the stretch run and they seem to be doing it by using all their other weapons. I don't see what's wrong with that other than that it creates the situation we're in now where everyone wants to know what's wrong with AJ.
Agreed. The Texans don't need to ride AJ like they stole him to win games. This just means your team is better and hopefully he will be healthy for the post season.
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #26
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
He had a pretty good game on opening day.
This is true however Kendall Wright has more catches and yards.

Let that sink in. Kendall. Wright.

His peers in yardage right now are:

Jordy Nelson - 5 games
Lance Moore - 4 games
Kendall Wright - 6 games
AJ - 5 games
Santonio Holmes - 4 games
Dez Bryant - 4 games
Andre Roberts - 5 games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012   #27
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I am certainly in no way advocating that we cast AJ aside. I am only saying that in order to be valuable, he may need to play within certain parameters due to presence of some physical limitations and for purposes of minimizing risk of re-injury. To date, his play and the play-calling seems to be consistent with the observations.
I'm uneasy, for the lack of a better word, about the fact that the offense is limited somewhat by AJ's apparent limitations in his route running. And I can certainly see why AJ would be bothered by the kid gloves treatment. I never realized it was that bad.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012   #28
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ has not looked like the AJ of 5 yrs. ago, with that said I expect him to go off on the Packers for 130 yds..
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012   #29
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

And their rushing total sucks.

I expected Andre to permanently lose a step after the muscle tear, but there are other factors involved here. One is the fact that Schaub's options have improved. Another is that Andre hasn't shaken some rust off. During the Monday night game, his legs weren't the problem when he dropped passes. His hands were. He'll get that fixed.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012   #30
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
Schaub has been money thus far, so I won't say a word about the pass game. I think the run game averaging less than 4 yards a carry is the biggest "problem" right now. There hasn't been much to bicker about when it comes to throwing the ball, but running the football is not top notch currently.

As the season wears on, the run game will get better, and the offense will kill ever more. This is why good teams don't peak in October.
there is no "on the money" when the timing is off that is my point. Not just on Andre or Schaub, the OL or opposing teams defensive scheming the mis-direction is not so mis-direction anymore, teams are picking up on it & the throws are under pressure & sooner than planned. Maybe the cb's recognize the play so they engage & lock on sooner extending the play? Probably a combination of all the above but the game plan must adjust to allow structure to flow smoother. Like Kubiak said, he's got to find a way to get Andre the ball more, so look for it. Plus if you can't hurt the other team throwing it teams will stack the box & take away the run.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012   #31
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre Johnson is still, at worst, 1c best WR in the league.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012   #32
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Andre Johnson is still, at worst, 1c best WR in the league.
Some would argue 1d.

Don't look now, but Green in cincy is pretty damn good.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012   #33
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

My top 10 in order.

1. Calvin Johnson- Having a down year but still the best, no doubt.
2. Larry Fitzgerald- Still producing with inept qb's.
3. A.J. Green- The only guy that rivals Calvin in talent.
4. Roddy White- Still the best reciever in Atlanta.
5. Andre Johnson-Fading? or just not putting up numbers due to running game
6. Reggie Wayne- Back to stud #'s with a solid Qb.
7. Victor Cruz- Many thought he was a one hit wonder, but still producing.
8. Wes Welker- As consistent as they come.
9. Percy Harvin- Elite talent, becoming an elite Wr.
10. Brandon Marshall- Back with Cutler and putting out stud #'s.

Honorable mention: Dwayne Bowe, Julio Jones, Mike Wallace, Marques Colston, Hakeem Nicks (Would be in top 10 if not injured so much).

Last edited by stingray; 10-13-2012 at 07:58 AM.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012   #34
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
As I've posted before, the semitendinosus muscle which was released, may be small but it has been shown to contribute to explosiveness and stability of the knee.

Here are comments I posted in the past week.:

I am certainly in no way advocating that we cast AJ aside. I am only saying that in order to be valuable, he may need to play within certain parameters due to presence of some physical limitations and for purposes of minimizing risk of re-injury. To date, his play and the play-calling seems to be consistent with the observations.
Alright Doc, I'm sure there is credence to your diagnosis but I don't think that's why they aren't throwing to Andre as in years past. I think it's as simple as this:

The "engine" that powers the 2012 edition of the Texans' offense is the running game, not the passing game as in years past. Back in 2009 & 2010 when Schaub kinda HAD to pass he averaged 298 & 273 yds/game, respectively. This year he's averaging 231 yds/game. And Schaub's QB rating is still up around 99-100 so it's not like he sucks.

Given that Foster, so far, is averaging over 100 yds/game plus whatever Tate gets to chip in (25-25 yds maybe) why pass?

I just think Kubiak has taken a lesson from Parcells: build a formidable running game and a strong defense. Let that running game grind down the opposing defense and pass just often enough to keep them from piling 8-9 guys in the box. Depend on your strong D to give you the ball back with 3-&-outs or turnovers and get back to work grinding the down with your running game.

I don't think there's much wrong with A.J. I think his numbers are down due to the success of Foster, Tate, and the O-line.

Thoughts?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012   #35
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What does that have to do with the price of watermelon in Africa?
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012   #36
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think what concerns me more than the speed and route running - or lack thereof - is the dropped passes. Now, that is so not Andre. I thought it was because they were holding him out of practices so much that the chemistry between he and Schaub was disappearing
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012   #37
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, the guy has one "off" game and he's hot mess all of a sudden?

I guess we forget the Broncos game when he caught a crucial pass late in the game to extend the dive and burn a ton more clock for us.

Cromartie did a great job of defending him, that doesn't make AJ a lesser WR.

He's going to bust off a big game. I'm not saying he is the same guy as pre-2011, but guys come on...he's still got enough goods to be lethal out there. His double move is still catching DBs unaware.
Old 10-13-2012   #38
robroy72
Veteran

Rep Power: 6816 robroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Its fair. In my eyes, AJ is not even close to the receiver he was in the past. The injuries he has suffered (and the resulting surgeries) have really taken their toll.

He is still a good receiver, just no longer great.
He can't blame the surgeries for the uncharacteristic drops; the one against the Jets was incredible.

I think Andre plays alot on confidence; right now, he's lacking in that department. He and Schaub will have to play through this; he may not get back to being the Andre of years gone by due to the reasons the Doc posted above; he can still be a formidable weapon.

Last edited by robroy72; 10-13-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Hit 'post' too soon!
robroy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012   #39
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
What does that have to do with the price of watermelon in Africa?
The same thing it has to to with the price of watercress sandwiches in River Oaks?
Old 10-13-2012   #40
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Cromartie basically shut down AJ last week, but he did also have some help if you recall that real easy little pass that AJ dropped when he was wide on one play ?
Some WRs like Rice and T.O. play at a high level into their mid 30s, others fall off very rapidly around their 30th BD and it's looking more and more like the latter is the case for the greatest player to date to wear a Texans' uniform.
Now I sure hope I'm wrong about this, but we'll see ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read