Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-28-2012   #41
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2070 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Derek Newton named the starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I am concerned also.

One thing about great line play is that time playing together can take an average line and make it a good line and a good line to a great line etc.

Hopefully we can put the same 5 guys out there for 16 games and when business time comes I think they'll have things together enough to make things work.
I think that's key. I'm prepared for some minor growing pains, but I don't think it'll be THAT bad.

Worst case scenario, we lean on the passing game a little bit more. I get nervous every time the line the has go into pass protection, but they'll get through it.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #42
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Laser Face on replacing Winston with Newton:

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #43
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...age-of-benton/

Now there’s Newton. A seventh-round pick in 2011 from Arkansas State, he won his battle with eight-year veteran Rashad Butler and will be the starting right tackle in the season opener against Miami a week from Sunday.

“I was excited,” Newton said of getting the good news. “I could have jumped for joy.”

If Newton progresses from here as expected — head coach Gary Kubiak says the Texans see things in the 24-year-old “that give him the chance to be a great player, not just a good player” — Benton should consider going on straight commission.

“The work John has done here in Houston has been exceptional,” Kubiak said.

I enjoyed this entire article.
Old 08-29-2012   #44
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Does anybody think Phillip Rivers could dominate in Kubiak's offense? The attitude, the arm, the veteran presence. I just think he's in a bad offensive scheme, tbh.

He has the goods.
Old 08-29-2012   #45
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Does anybody think Phillip Rivers could dominate in Kubiak's offense? The attitude, the arm, the veteran presence. I just think he's in a bad offensive scheme, tbh.

He has the goods.
He's being wasted under that coach and manager of theirs, much like the rest of the team.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #46
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Newton might've grown on me a little since the decision was made, but he hasn't. I've re-watched a couple games and I still feel the same. Kubiak spoke of his inconsistency and it's obvious during games. One series he'd do just fine, the next he'd get blown up or beat badly. Do we want someone this inconsistent on gameday? Butler wasn't great, but he wasn't beat out.

I reckon the optimistic way to look at it is he's on the right side. Schaub might be able to see the pressure before getting plastered.
Old 08-29-2012   #47
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a guy like Rivers would be ungodly here. We do good things on offense with Schaubs limitations imagine an elite level Qb here. Scary stuff.
Old 08-29-2012   #48
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I think a guy like Rivers would be ungodly here. We do good things on offense with Schaubs limitations imagine an elite level Qb here. Scary stuff.
lol
Old 08-29-2012   #49
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I thought Newton might've grown on me a little since the decision was made, but he hasn't. I've re-watched a couple games and I still feel the same. Kubiak spoke of his inconsistency and it's obvious during games. One series he'd do just fine, the next he'd get blown up or beat badly. Do we want someone this inconsistent on gameday? Butler wasn't great, but he wasn't beat out.

I reckon the optimistic way to look at it is he's on the right side. Schaub might be able to see the pressure before getting plastered.
Did not Duane Brown have same problem first year he started? I say give Newton a few games under his belt. It's not like we have a lot of alternatives.
Old 08-29-2012   #50
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Did not Duane Brown have same problem first year he started? I say give Newton a few games under his belt. It's not like we have a lot of alternatives.
This! I don't why everyone was expecting a fine tuned, polished player at the position. Like I said earlier in the thread, the game will start to slow down and his confidence is only going to grow from here. I understand we live in the age of instant results, but lets at least wait until after the 1st quarter of the REGULAR season before well go all out freak out mode on guys.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #51
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I was just thinking, KDub has been having a pretty decent year so far. So has Owen. Like everyone else, I was thinking OD is "finally" looking like his old self. I was also thinking, " 'bout time KDub got open"

Then I got to thinking... Schaub has had some nice pockets to work in & plenty of time to do wat he do.

Now, Derek Newton hasn't done anything to blow my socks off. I watch him every now & then & I'm like...... eh... But he & Caldwell are having a hell of a quite season so far. Has any of our OL had a false start yet? Other than that Dumerville safety... has he looked woefully out-matched yet?

I know he doesn't have his own radio show, & neither he or Caldwell look like the Caveman or Brisiel in the run game, but like I said, helluva quite season so far.
Old 10-11-2012   #52
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I know he doesn't have his own radio show, & neither he or Caldwell look like the Caveman or Brisiel in the run game, but like I said, helluva quite season so far.
Seems to me that Ryan Harris is getting more snaps at RT as the season wears on.
Old 10-12-2012   #53
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was just thinking, KDub has been having a pretty decent year so far. So has Owen. Like everyone else, I was thinking OD is "finally" looking like his old self. I was also thinking, " 'bout time KDub got open"

Then I got to thinking... Schaub has had some nice pockets to work in & plenty of time to do wat he do.

Now, Derek Newton hasn't done anything to blow my socks off. I watch him every now & then & I'm like...... eh... But he & Caldwell are having a hell of a quite season so far. Has any of our OL had a false start yet? Other than that Dumerville safety... has he looked woefully out-matched yet?

Yes, Newton had been called for False Start 3 times and holding once. He was "officially" charged with one sack allowed.
D. Brown had 1 False Start.
W. Smith was charged with one sack allowed.

The rest of the linemen have been in the clear so far.

Eric Winston averaged some 5+ penalties and 6.5+ sacks allowed per year (pro-rated to full participation in 16 games per season.)

Brisiel average nearly 6 penalties and 2 sacks allowed per year (again, counting as if he was playing full-time.)

Both Caldwell and Newton are doing just fine.

I will get to the snap counts some other time.
It's not quite like what Lucky suggested.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #54
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

I will get to the snap counts some other time.
It's not quite like what Lucky suggested.
I don't know if snap count will "suggest" what we'd like for it to suggest. They're getting subbed on a series basis, if one guy gets subbed in when we start at the 6 (damn Holliday) & the other guy starts at their 49, one is going to get more snaps than the other & it not be reflective of who is playing better.

Of course, if Newton is playing two series to Harris's one, it should be overwhelmingly in Newton's favor.
Old 10-12-2012   #55
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

I haven't noticed him every play. I've only re-watched the 1st couple of games, but to me, Newton stinks at cutting the backside.
Old 10-12-2012   #56
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I think what the ol coach and kubes are doing should be done throughout the league. Think about the subbing theyve done with the young players. They get guys ready to play and keep themselves in a good position. They did the same with duane brown and he's turned out to be one of the best lt in the game. The texans are in position with systems on both sides to not overpay players or cut bait when they have to. Newton and caldwell arent playing at a pro bowl level, but neither are briesel and winston either.
Old 10-12-2012   #57
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know if snap count will "suggest" what we'd like for it to suggest. They're getting subbed on a series basis, if one guy gets subbed in when we start at the 6 (damn Holliday) & the other guy starts at their 49, one is going to get more snaps than the other & it not be reflective of who is playing better.

Of course, if Newton is playing two series to Harris's one, it should be overwhelmingly in Newton's favor.
It's somewhere in between these lines ^^^.

The Texans have been using Harris to spell Newton whenever they think he needs a rest.

In the Broncos game, Newton played the entire first half (6 series, 32 snaps.)

In the second half, he played the first two series (10 snaps.)

Harris then came in for two series (8 snaps.)

Newton played the next series (7 snaps.)
Overall, he played in 9 series and 49 snaps.
(There's some discrepancies with the numbers from Football Outsiders.
They showed Newton with 51 snaps.
I believe they count the two penalties on Newton as plays.)

Harris finished out the game, playing the last two series (9 snaps.)
Overall, Harris played in 4 series and 17 snaps.

Basically, the Texans figured Newton had had plenty of snaps so they let Harris spell him mostly in the later part of the game.

The substition pattern would be different in the next two games.

Against the Titans, in the first half, Newton played in the first 3 series (20 snaps) and the fifth series (7 snaps.)

Harris came in for the 4th series (3 snaps) and 6th series (3 snaps.)

In the second half, Newton was in for the first two series (10 snaps)and the 4th series (4 snaps.)
Harris played the 3rd series (11 snaps).

Overall, Newton played in 7 series and 41 snaps.
Harris played in 3 series and 17 snaps.

That's not counting the last series when both of them were in there (with D. Brown out of the line-up). The Texans were in victory formation for 2 snaps to end the game.

Against the Jets;

In the first half, Newton played the first 3 series plus the last two series (total 25 snaps.)
Harris played the 4th and 5th series (total 9 snaps.)

In the second half, Newton played the first series (14 snaps) and the 3rd and 4th series (3 and 4 snaps respectively).
Harris played the 2nd and 5th series (total 11 snaps.)

Overall, Newton played 8 series and 46 snaps.
Harris played 4 series and 20 snaps.

(Football Outsiders had them as 47 and 19 - maybe there was one play Newton was in there in place of Harris that I missed.)

In summary, for every series that Harris played, Newton would play at least two series.

Newton played in 24 series to Harris 11.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read