Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-09-2012   #41
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Concerned....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
I fail to understand how anyone can bash Kubiak for being too conservative on the last two possessions. We have the best running back in the NFL behind Matt Schaub, we're playing on the road with a lead, and some people expect to throw the ball instead? Huh? And risk a clock-stopping incompletion?
The only complaint I have in this situation (lately) is that we can't pick up a first down. I know the other guys get paid, but we're supposed to be good at running the ball & have yet to put the game on ice by running.
Old 10-09-2012   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
When was the last time you watched our defense in the past two years, and you had some sort of disgusted reaction to what you saw our defense doing on the field...the positioning, the formations, the actual play call, etc?

Now ask yourself this: How many times have you watched the offense and wondered "Huh? Seriously? LOL. Ummm, okie dokie. Well, we need another stop by our defense here. Come on guys, get us the ball back!"

Exactly.
People have been complaining about the run defense for about 5 weeks now.
Old 10-09-2012   #43
corytx8
Veteran

Rep Power: 6836 corytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
The only complaint I have in this situation (lately) is that we can't pick up a first down. I know the other guys get paid, but we're supposed to be good at running the ball & have yet to put the game on ice by running.
What do you do if they fail to convert 4th and 1 in your own territory?
corytx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #44
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
I think this just proved the whole case about "Desperate teams" and even Gruden who knows more football than all of us said right before the game that he always hated playing a team that was embarrassed the week before.

Add up that the Jets were at home and it was a primetime game and that usually spells out upset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
We are 5-0. Getting the Jets at home after they got shillacked, well.. You see what we got and Im not surprised. I had a feeling it would be a battle.

The only thing I really got from this game is Cushings injury. ****.
Totally agree! I warned of this type skirmish in the predict the score thread. I told y'all it would be close.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #45
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
KW showed up tonight ... as did Casey & OD along with Foster ....

This offense is designed to take what the defense gives and not make mistakes. Two turnovers in 5 games ... all W's where different parts of the offense have beaten opposing defenses resulting in 5 W's.

You might stop one part but you arent going to stop all of AJ , Foster , OD , Casey and Walter.

The only way to shut down this offense is to make it beat itself with turnovers .... and Schaub isnt very turnover prone , he'll throw a ball away before allowing the defense to force a critical error.He's really an extension of Kubiak on the field in that aspect.

Only three teams have a better +/- in the turnover department than the Texans (NE , Chi and Atlanta). Of those four teams , all are atop (or tied) for their respective divisions.
Spot On!!
This ain't the Patriots or Saints or Packers were we sling it around the yard no matter the score! And even the Pats have gone back to the running game more and more.

It boggles my mind why folks want to see passing at the end of a game when we're winning....?

We have, arguably, the best defense in the AFC, if not the league and a top three running game. Why wouldn't any SANE, LOGICAL person go to those Strengths to close out a road win??

Some explain the logic in passing when the out come could be (a) an incomplete pass which stops the clock or, worse, an INT which gives the the ball and momentum. Help me understand why I'd risk stopping the clock or turning the ball over???
Old 10-09-2012   #46
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
It boggles my mind why folks want to see passing at the end of a game when we're winning....?
2 words: Fantasy. Football.
Old 10-09-2012   #47
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Hell, I got Schaub AND A.J. on my F/F team and I ain't complaining. I still don't get it.
Old 10-09-2012   #48
redwhiteblue
Veteran

Rep Power: 2087 redwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
My concern is Jonathan Joseph. He absolutely SUCKED tonight.
if a corner does not give up any touchdowns or 100 yard games and your team still wins, i will gladly take that sucking corner on my team every day
redwhiteblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #49
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 51991 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont care what anyone says, AJ is not right. He is either injured OR playing scared not wanting to get injured. Last night he ran routes terribly and showed no stop and cut like we have seen in the past, nor was he aggressive after his catch. On the one over the middle, instead of turning up field and lowering the boom like he used to, he coward, ran backwards and fell down. Something ain't right.
Old 10-09-2012   #50
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by corytx8 View Post
What do you do if they fail to convert 4th and 1 in your own territory?
Who said anything about 4th & 1? We've got three downs..... last year, we'd pick up that first more times than not. This year, not so much.
Old 10-09-2012   #51
DRP
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 DRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Yes, I want to win in my fantasy leagues but a Texans win means more to me
DRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #52
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Who said anything about 4th & 1? We've got three downs..... last year, we'd pick up that first more times than not. This year, not so much.
Off my recollection, I fear this may be revisionist history, but I could be wrong. I don't seem to remember us just marching up and down the field on offense at will. That be the case, I would have imagined Patriots like scoring. However, Kubiak, unlike Bellicek does play to win, imo. He does not blow his opponents out. Even the Titans game last year was more them being not so great and us clicking on all cylinders even though we weren't necessarily trying to blow them out. Same with the Bucs.

Obsiwan, I also have Shaub and AJ, but additionally, I have Foster and Tate. Score, dangit, score! lol. I'm good with the W as long as we clean up our messy play along the way.

I think, and this may be me being optimistic, we will see a different offense against true contenders. We know we have an offense that can, if vitally necessary if we fall behind, that can put point on the board. Who knows, maybe AJ was playing possum the couple weeks before GB. One can only hope right?
Old 10-09-2012   #53
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Our passing game really concerns me, AJ was invisible and Cromartie is not that good. Martin has not shown up, thank god we had foster tonight. I hope jean comes back for the GB game, besides AJ (sometimes) the only other guy i feel confident in, in his limited time is Jean.

Maybe it was just a sloppy game, we did get the win but i'm not left feeling very confident after this game.

On the bright side we are 5-0
To credit Cromartie, he played at the top of his game last night. He had AJ locked down all night which is why AJ was invisible. I always thought Cromartie was extremely over rated but last night showed that he actually had some talent...other than parenting 10+ kids.
Old 10-10-2012   #54
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197817 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
I dont care what anyone says, AJ is not right. He is either injured OR playing scared not wanting to get injured. Last night he ran routes terribly and showed no stop and cut like we have seen in the past, nor was he aggressive after his catch. On the one over the middle, instead of turning up field and lowering the boom like he used to, he coward, ran backwards and fell down. Something ain't right.

If you've watched AJ carefully this year, he has basically run straight line routes or routes with gently angles. You haven't seen his signature sharp curl back or acute cut angle routes. In this last game, he was ahead of his defender going down the sideline and Schaub threw short. AJ was looking back (as was the defender) and was fully aware that it was falling short right into the hands of the defender. Yet he made no attempt to stop acutely to go back for the ball to break up a potential interception.........an over the back move that he has always been known for in the past. And this is only one of many examples. All of these observations go to the question of knee stability, something that I voiced concern over following his injuries last year, specifically with the decision made to surgically clip the partially torn semitendinosus hamstring muscle (a small muscle shown to contribute to knee stability and explosiveness), in order to be able to get him back on the field for the playoffs. He appears to be avoiding maneuvers that require heavy side-to-side stresses on his knees. It seems like game planning for AJ is being designed to exactly use only certain types of routes.......again to avoid exposing his knee instability problem and its limitations, at the same time trying to protect him from major re-injury.

After 5 weeks, FootballOutsiders has him at only 28th in WR ranking, with Walter right there with him at 29th. (No other Texans receivers are ranked in the top 93) http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #55
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 51991 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
If you've watched AJ carefully this year, he has basically run straight line routes or routes with gently angles. You haven't seen his signature sharp curl back or acute cut angle routes. In this last game, he was ahead of his defender going down the sideline and Schaub threw short. AJ was looking back (as was the defender) and was fully aware that it was falling short right into the hands of the defender. Yet he made no attempt to stop acutely to go back for the ball to break up a potential interception.........an over the back move that he has always been known for in the past. And this is only one of many examples. All of these observations go to the question of knee stability, something that I voiced concern over following his injuries last year, specifically with the decision made to surgically clip the partially torn semitendinosus hamstring muscle (a small muscle shown to contribute to knee stability and explosiveness), in order to be able to get him back on the field for the playoffs. He appears to be avoiding maneuvers that require heavy side-to-side stresses on his knees. It seems like game planning for AJ is being designed to exactly use only certain types of routes.......again to avoid exposing his knee instability problem and its limitations, at the same time trying to protect him from major re-injury.

After 5 weeks, FootballOutsiders has him at only 28th in WR ranking, with Walter right there with him at 29th. (No other Texans receivers are ranked in the top 93) http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr
If his leg has not fully regained strength by now, how can it get better while he continues to play on it? Not only is he risking further damage, but he cannot be getting it stronger while working it so hard during the week and gameday. So is this the best his leg can be?
Old 10-11-2012   #56
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post

^^^This^^^

Andre is either injured, or has lost his mojo. Andre's not above being called out.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #57
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

Weren't he and J.Jo held out of practice a couple-three weeks ago due to nagging injuries. I thought they were both groin-related; I'm pretty sure J.Jo's was, not as sure about A.J.'s.
Old 10-11-2012   #58
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

The Jets game was as ugly as a lot of our Jacksonville games are.

Owen Daniels and others are on record as to saying it is really difficult to play the Jags because the stadium noise is like that of a workout at camp. Owen said it was creepy, hard to get into the game or some such stuff.

You have to admit, that can be weird to try and play "up" when the environment feels pedestrian at best.

Plus, credit the Jets with busting their ass, and Cushing's ACL, to give a genuine effort on MNF. They never quit trying like they had fine one week prior vs. 49ers.
Old 10-14-2012   #59
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Our passing game really concerns me, AJ was invisible and Cromartie is not that good. Martin has not shown up, thank god we had foster tonight. I hope jean comes back for the GB game, besides AJ (sometimes) the only other guy i feel confident in, in his limited time is Jean.

Maybe it was just a sloppy game, we did get the win but i'm not left feeling very confident after this game.

On the bright side we are 5-0
Like i said, our passing game concerns me.
Old 10-14-2012   #60
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Our defense sucked tonight.

Passing game was pretty good, it was far better than our running game.

But when the other team scores 40+ points you have to play phenomenal offense just to keep up...and our team is not used to that. We are used to our defense actually getting stops and helping out the offense.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read