Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-10-2012   #1
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The block on cushing....Slausen fined

What gets me is that you can not block a player in the back, and i'm sorry but that was a chop block in the back below the knees. Regardless of if it was legal or not it was still in the back.

I like it how u cant even go low on a QB but a defensive player can get target at his knees or lower in the back and nothing. Total B.S IMO. Either you protect all your players or dont "protect" any of them.

Sorry had to get that off my chest.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos...Cushing-injury

Now tell me what is remotely legal about any of that ?
Old 10-10-2012   #2
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79206 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The block on cushing....

Dirtiest play I've seen in a long, long time and it results in a season-ending injury for one of our most critical players.

Cool. **** the Jets.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #3
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

It was illegal. I know that there's been a thread (or 10) on this..

That said, the long and short of it is (irrespective to the 'ol proximity of the line of scrimmage, or the 'ol "engaged" rule). This had more to do with the direction the block came from. If a lineman makes the block (w/ those other consdiderations above - removed), towards his offensive endzone, all is good. If the lineman makes the block facing towards his own (defensive) endzone, No BUENO!!!!

This is at least how I interpret the "chop block" rules.

In any event, I believe the block to be illegal and a cheap shot.... Note: A cheap shot not necessarily with malice. In other words, dude made a poor decision but I don't necessarily think he attempted to hurt Cush..
Old 10-10-2012   #4
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
It was illegal. I know that there's been a thread (or 10) on this..

That said, the long and short of it is (irrespective to the 'ol proximity of the line of scrimmage, or the 'ol "engaged" rule). This had more to do with the direction the block came from. If a lineman makes the block (w/ those other consdiderations above - removed), towards his offensive endzone, all is good. If the lineman makes the block facing towards his own (defensive) endzone, No BUENO!!!!

This is at least how I interpret the "chop block" rules.

In any event, I believe the block to be illegal and a cheap shot.... Note: A cheap shot not necessarily with malice. In other words, dude made a poor decision but I don't necessarily think he attempted to hurt Cush..
Hmmm i didnt see any threads on it otherwise i wouldnt of made the thread
Old 10-10-2012   #5
wildroot
Veteran

Rep Power: 1945 wildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respected

I look at the play it looks bad the way Cushing was hit....but you know we make our living on cut-blocks so it's really hard to criticize when one of our own is the victim of a cut block. Really sucks to lose him, really bad break for us and Cushing.

Last edited by wildroot; 10-10-2012 at 10:08 PM.
wildroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

A chop block in the NFL is when someone is already engaged by one player and then gets hit at or below the knee by another player.

It is not analogous to the cut blocking which is part of our ZBS.
Old 10-10-2012   #7
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroot View Post
I look at the play it looks bad the way Cushing was hit....but you know we make our living on cut-blocks so it's really hard to criticize when one of our own is the victim of a cut block. Really sucks to lose him, really bad break for us and Cushing.
The Texans make their living on LEGAL cut blocks not ILLEGAL clipping.
Old 10-10-2012   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I honestly did not see anything wrong with the block. It is not illegal & I don't think the player tried to do anything other than block Brian Cushing. If you watch it from both Angles, you'll see the guy began the move while Cush was in front of him, however he didn't make contact until Brian was past him. It happens.

Should it be illegal? Maybe, but instead of tweating about it, the defensive stars need to get together & petition the rules comitte the way the QBs did that made that hit illegal on QBs.
Old 10-10-2012   #9
DRP
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 DRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
What gets me is that you can not block a player in the back, and i'm sorry but that was a chop block in the back below the knees. Regardless of if it was legal or not it was still in the back.

I like it how u cant even go low on a QB but a defensive player can get target at his knees or lower in the back and nothing. Total B.S IMO. Either you protect all your players or dont "protect" any of them.
Sorry had to get that off my chest.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos...Cushing-injury

Now tell me what is remotely legal about any of that ?
Clay Matthews basically said the exact thing on twitter.
DRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I honestly did not see anything wrong with the block. It is not illegal & I don't think the player tried to do anything other than block Brian Cushing. If you watch it from both Angles, you'll see the guy began the move while Cush was in front of him, however he didn't make contact until Brian was past him. It happens.
You need to take another look. Or become more familiar with the rule.

Quote:
CLIPPING
Article 10 There shall be no clipping from behind below the waist against a non-runner. This does not apply
to offensive blocking in close-line play where it is legal to clip above the knee(s), but it is illegal to clip at or below the knee(s).
Penalty: For clipping: Loss of 15 yards.

CLOSE-LINE PLAY
SUPPLEMENTAL NOTES
(1) Close-line play is that which occurs in an area extending laterally to the position originally occupied by
the offensive tackles and longitudinally three yards on either side of each line of scrimmage.

CLOSE-LINE PLAY—ROLL-UP BLOCK
(2) In close-line play, if an offensive player’s block (legal or illegal) is followed by the blocker rolling up on the back of the leg(s) of the defender, the action is illegal and is considered unnecessary roughness.
Slausen was behind Cushing when he made the block. The block was made within 3 yards of the LOS, but the block was below the knee. Illegal as hell, and the result is why there is such a rule in the first place. I think he rolled up on Cushing, and should have been called for unnecessary roughness.
Old 10-10-2012   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the hit was illegal. I think it was a guaranteed injury. Knowing the guy and what he's stood for in the past, I don't think he intended to injure Cushing, though. I think the guy got beat and just dove to try and do whatever he could to make the play. Illegal and cheap, yes. Malicious? I'm leaning towards no, but its just my gut feeling

I think it takes a special kind of ******* to purposefully try to tear someone's ACL. Those players usually have dirty reputations. This Slauson guy or whatever his name is has publicly come out against dirty players in the past. I don't know, just feels like a nasty, illegal hit with a very, very unfortunate outcome.
Old 10-10-2012   #12
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post

Should it be illegal? Maybe, but instead of tweating about it, the defensive stars need to get together & petition the rules comitte the way the QBs did that made that hit illegal on QBs.
It was clipping. Inside the Tackles 3 yards in front and in back of the line of scrimmage is the close line area where clipping will not be called on blocks from behind above the knee. Any blocks from behind at or below the knee will be called a clipping penalty. The block was from behind at the knee and to make matters worse it occurred outside the Tackle. In addition, Kubiak mentioned something about it being illegal to cut block someone when the blocker is coming back to the line of scrimmage.
Old 10-11-2012   #13
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 108546 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Slauson's intent may not have been malicious, but he was gambling with someone else's livelihood when taking a pointless and dangerous risk. No skin off his ass if his hit is mis-timed, and who cares if his target pays the ultimate price? The hit can technically be defined as clipping, so suspend him.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #14
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Has anyone seen a league ruling or statement on the clip...? Anyone? Don't they usually make a statement and hand out fines on Weds.?? Or is it too soon?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #15
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 62228 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Fined $10,000

Posted using Tapatalk from my phone. May contain errors.
Old 10-11-2012   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Low fine. Means NFL finds minor fault.

I agree.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #17
gwallaia

Rep Power: 84705 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

$10,000 fine to an NFL player is like one of us being fined 25 cents.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #18
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11998 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Slauson Fined

Just read Slauson got fined 10K for the hit on Cush.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...houston-texans
Insideop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Slauson Fined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post

That wouldn't even cover Cushing's medical bills.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #20
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Slauson Fined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post

That's ALL? Dammit!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read