Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-10-2012   #61
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Roster Moves, Ruud and White signed, Holliday gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
At the beginning of last season he dealt with a knee strain injury which did not turn into a chronic problem. He also developed a compensatory groin problem which resolved with his knee injury. His major problem was a shoulder injury that single-handedly took away his performance and continued to worsen until he was placed on IR. He actually underwent shoulder scope surgery this past January. He has had no recurrent knee or groin problems reported to date, and he was seen diving for balls throughout the preseason.........evidently fully recovered from his shoulder surgery. For the 4 years prior to his year with the Titans, he was a "tackling machine"........83,102,107,85 tackles per year respectively. Even with the Titans entirely injury-filled tour, in 9 games he accumulated 47 tackles.........extrapolated to a 70 tackle year.

Barret could definitely be that unexpected "gift." It wouldn't surprise me at all if he were rotated somewhere along the line with Dobbins. Dobbins more for the run and Rudd for the coverage (for which he proved himself to be more than adequate even in his lame duck year).
Good info Doc. Maybe he has something left in the tank, and now playing with a good team will give him some extra incentive, even if it's just for ST.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #62
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 278195 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fili View Post
Just don't understand the White signing.
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Quote:
Another team had expressed interest in signing practice squad G Cody White to its 53-man roster. #Texans didn't want to lose him
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #63
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbat488 View Post
unsubstantiated rumor. it's likely marciano wanted him, but to say it was solely joe's pick is an opinion that's being presented as fact.
Chew on this for awhile:

Quote:
“What he did throughout the course of this preseason was exceptional,” Kubiak said. “And his spot on this team was well-earned.”

But few in the Texans organization are happier to see Holliday excel than special teams coach Joe Marciano, who encouraged the team to draft the 5-foot-5,165 world-class speedster.

Marciano followed Holliday’s LSU career closely.

“I jumped on the table for Trindon,” Marciano said. I did a lot of homework on him. Guys don’t get good hits on him.”
Link HERE, since you seem to be so fond of challenging me all the time on stuff like this. Read it and weep. Coach Joe encouraged the Texans to pick Holliday, which means Coach Joe wanted him...Kubiak then selected him.

I'm sure I can find more evidence, but really this one is enough isn't it?
Old 10-10-2012   #64
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56461 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Chew on this for awhile:

Link HERE, since you seem to be so fond of challenging me all the time on stuff like this. Read it and weep. Coach Joe encouraged the Texans to pick Holliday, which means Coach Joe wanted him...Kubiak then selected him.

GP, No need to make this argument. Those of us who follow the team closely and have listened to Kubiak pressers are well aware of what he says between the lines. He has hemmed and hawed about that roster spot plenty.

Proof? No. The organization is disciplined. Information is available to those interested enough to read between the lines and know how the team operates, but they are very careful and controlled about any information that distribute regarding all players.

It was clear on Monday night that Holliday was going to be cut this week when Kubiak said, "our return game is bad and we are going to take a hard look at what we're doing"... or something like that.
Old 10-10-2012   #65
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
GP, No need to make this argument. Those of us who follow the team closely and have listened to Kubiak pressers are well aware of what he says between the lines. He has hemmed and hawed about that roster spot plenty.

Proof? No. The organization is disciplined. Information is available to those interested enough to read between the lines and know how the team operates, but they are very careful and controlled about any information that distribute regarding all players.

It was clear on Monday night that Holliday was going to be cut this week when Kubiak said, "our return game is bad and we are going to take a hard look at what we're doing"... or something like that.
When the ST coach says he "jumped on the table" for a player...yeah, that indicates that Coach Joe made a strong enough case for the pick that Kubiak eventually ended up making the pick there.

Getting onto the table is the same thing as saying "I want this guy." Period.

Kubiak figured out very quickly in camp that it was an iffy pick. He was on his ass all the time, very vocal all of the time about him. A freakish preseason meant he had no choice, the guy played his way onto the 53, but then somehow Kubiak found it easy to pull the trigger when Cushing is out for the year...why? Because he was never really invested in the Holliday pick like he was with Jacoby Jones.

Proof isn't going to be proven absolutely, like you said, but it's fairly obvious that the pick was a Coach Joe pick. And the words "unsubstantiated rumor" indicates, IMO, that I was just gossiping and had no real evidence. Hell, what I posted of that article is pretty obvious to me. LOL.
Old 10-10-2012   #66
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
He was just cut by the Saints defense, doesn't say a whole lot about what he still has left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
In 2009, Ruud was top 10 in coverage.

--stats from ProFootballFocus
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
Agree. Wade plays to his players strengths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Barret could definitely be that unexpected "gift." It wouldn't surprise me at all if he were rotated somewhere along the line with Dobbins. Dobbins more for the run and Rudd for the coverage (for which he proved himself to be more than adequate even in his lame duck year).
This is what I was going to post. Cushing's presence and ability won't be replaced. But, his role could be divided into two (Dobbins and Ruud). I trust Wade to figure it out.
Old 10-10-2012   #67
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Chew on this for awhile:

Not only that, but I swear I've heard kubiak say that Joe urged them to pick holiday.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #68
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

somewhat surprised Loiseau wasn't given a look. Guess they want experience...

Don't get the OG White signing. More competition for RG? I wonder who they will pick up on the P-Squad?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #69
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
No really guys, if Ruud is seeing snaps as a starter we are effing hosed. Do not expect much of anything from this signing, instead, equate it to the signings of Garcia and Delhomme last year when Schaub went down.

Looka here boy, you just ain't getting it. We SIGNED Ruud so it doesn't matter if he's dookie on a stick or whether we can spell his name right, or what. He's going to the HOF for as long as he's wearing Steel Blue and the moment the Texans aren't signing his paychecks anymore he's fair game and probably a traitor.

Get your head in the game b0ng!
Old 10-11-2012   #70
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point Ruud is nothing but a bench-warmer, right ? Dobbins, the same guy who stopped Rice stiff in his tracks at the GL in the past years playoffs @ Baltimore, is our starter now replacing Cushing, OK ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #71
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
True, but if you know the blocking sucks why try to take the ball out of the EZ every time?
Because TH would not be on team anyway by kneeling in the endzone. His only advantage was possibly taking it to the house every time. When that didn't happen.....
Old 10-11-2012   #72
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And also never underestimate the power of "new beginnings" that this can have on castoffs like Ruud.

He comes into a thriving defense, and he will be full of newly found confidence as he steps onto the field. Getting beat down on bad teams can affect players. I am not sayig Ruud is all-world now that he gets here, but he might surprise people and even motivate guys around him.

The culture here, due to Manning, Cushing, JJo, Watt, Smith, and many others...coupled with Wade's crew on the sidelines, it can do wonders for a new guy coming in here.
Agree totally.

I don't know anything about Ruud, but I trust in the Son of Bum.

To take your statement a step further, Wade has a real system in place, he knows exactly what Cush meant to this defense and knows exactly how his system needs to adjust to compensate for the loss of a great player.

God, I hope I'm right, lol
Old 10-11-2012   #73
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 278195 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
At this point Ruud is nothing but a bench-warmer, right ?
Don't be surprised to see Ruud working into the pass defense rotation with Bradie James.
Old 10-11-2012   #74
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't be surprised to see Ruud working into the pass defense rotation with Bradie James.
I doubt that he even get activated this week.

There's a matter of studying the playbook, you know.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #75
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82523 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I doubt that he even get activated this week.

There's a matter of studying the playbook, you know.
I'm thinking he's active, although mostly (totally) for special teams.
Old 10-11-2012   #76
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Quote:
The #Texans have signed LB Cameron Collins from Oregon State to their practice squad
Quote:
Name: Cameron Collins
College: Oregon State Number: 5
Height: 6-3 Weight: 241
Position: ILB Pos2: OLB
Class/Draft Year: rSr/2012
40 Low: 4.68 40 Time: 4.79 40 High: 4.87
Projected Round: 7-FA Stock: High: 6-7 Low: PFA
Rated number 16 out of 101 ILB's

Pro Day Results

Dates: 03/16/12
Height: 6024
Weight: 241
40 Yrd Dash: 4.76
20 Yrd Dash: 2.81
10 Yrd Dash: 1.69
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 30
Vertical Jump: 35 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'01"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.38
3-Cone Drill: 6.97
40 Time Range: 4.76-4.82
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...012&genpos=ILB
Old 10-11-2012   #77
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 109743 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody have anything on this guy off the top of their heads?

Quote:
Nick Scurfield‏@NickScurfield

The #Texans have signed LB Cameron Collins from Oregon State to their practice squad
*oops, Playoffs beat me to it
Old 10-11-2012   #78
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195032 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hard to figure this move out. He's an ILB who split his 2 year college starter career between LB and safety. He was felt to be very raw. The knock was that he was slow to get to the action, and once there too often overpursued. Again, somewhat of a head scratcher.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #79
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 48076 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Converted from safety to LB his Junior year.

Quote:
Showcases a quick first step when attacking the line of scrimmage, gets up the field in a hurry and displays the ability to close in pursuit. However, lacks a great feel for the run game at this stage as a backer, has a tendency to overrun the play and takes his fair share of false steps. But, to his credit displays good fluidity when asked to open up his hips and re-direct. Chops his feet in order to collect himself and just seems to be going 100 miles per hours too often with no real idea of where the ball is going. Nevertheless, he makes his mistakes at full speed, works hard to get himself back into the play and uses his length well to wrap and breakdown on ball carriers.

Is developing a feel in the pass game as well. Again displays above average fluidity, burst and closing speed in zone coverage but struggles to feel routes develop around him and doesn't read and react quickly to the quarterback at this stage. Gets caught staring down the QB too often, stops moving his feet and is slow to decipher info. Puts himself around the action quickly because of his athleticism, but is a very reactive player at this stage and not real proactive.

Impression: Needs more experience, but there is some talent to work with. Isn't a draftbale guy at this stage, but might be an interesting "athlete free agent" to take a shot on who should be able to fight for a spot on special teams.
National Football Post
Old 10-11-2012   #80
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I'm thinking he's active, although mostly (totally) for special teams.
Maybe, but I'm thinking we may active another Guard this week, just in case Caldwell reaggravate his ankle. And then we need a guy to take Holliday's place on ST coverage (perhaps Harris or Carmichael.)

Right now, I'm thinking Nading is ahead of Rudd on the depth chart for ILB.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read