Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-07-2012   #81
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McManis traded to Bears for FB Clutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
dont really see how playing with scrubs affected his game much if at all. its not like the rb was getting tackled before he could make his block. he was playing against scrubs too...

i just saw much more pop from norris in our 4th game. that being said, norris cant catch while clutts can
First of all, let's not forget that even if we take out the 49-yd run (Clutts did his job well on this play), the Bears still averaged almost 4.2 ypc on the other 30 carries.

The thing about playing with scrubs is that often times, they do not win at the POA (for just a little bit, even with a double-team or a combo block) to allow the lead blocker (the FB) a better or quicker path to his block.

Those combo or double-team blocks are better executed by linemen that play together for a period of time.
The srcub D-lineman has a littler easier time as compared to the regular starter.

Trust me, I've seen Clutts put up many key blocks (with pop) last year to spring the runner free for a long gain or a TD.

Different sets of game analyst/commentators had many good things to say about Clutts. The guys from the Browns for example, wanted Clutts badly.

Personally, I was somewhat surprised that the Bears HC Lovie Smith doesn't regard the running game highly.
I guess he thinks Cutler is more suited for the spread offense and also it seems that he likes to have more guys in the Casey mode to open up the offense instead of grinding it out like the Texans did last year.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012   #82
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
To me, Hester is a lesser Casey. He does the same sort of things as Casey, just not as good. I'm not sure what position he fits best. Is he a FB? An H back? More like a tweener of the two? Who know, but I'd pass on him. I liked Hester coming out of LSU too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think both Hester and Casey are hybrids, but I see Hester as fb/rb hybrid and Casey as more of a TE/fb hybrid. I think they could play all the same positions, but I think Hester is a bit more of a rb and Casey is a bit more of a TE.

I'd dump ball and pick up Hester in a heart beat. He provides versatlitu and special teams ability much like Casey.

If Arian or Tate get nicked up then you're down to two rb's. If you have Hester on the roster he could take some carries behind Forsett. If a TE or fb got nicked he could step in and help there too so we wouldn't have to change what we do too drastically.
Problem is Hester doesn't have the speed and agility to play RB now that he put on some weight since college.

It's hard to see Hester pressing the line and make the cut in our scheme.

I don't think he's a good fit as a RB.

And if we're down to 2 RBs, we can always bring Grimes up; he's a guy that you (Rey) likes to begin with.

There's a point of diminishing return with "too much" versatility, especially when you have a good team.
Old 09-07-2012   #83
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219123 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm concerned that when you try to introduce that "very versatile player," many times you tend to not properly utilize your consistently best and strongest options.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #84
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Flipping back through old topics...

Has Clutts done anything of note for us, yet? I don't believe I've heard his name called?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #85
robroy72
Veteran

Rep Power: 6816 robroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

Has Clutts done anything of note for us, yet? I don't believe I've heard his name called?
You read my mind ... I was about to ask the same thing.
robroy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #86
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 11151 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Casey's blocking seems to have improved, along with his play making ability..Be hard for a pure FB to make it in.
Old 10-10-2012   #87
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Has McMannis done anything?
Old 10-10-2012   #88
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Clutts has done nothing of note, but he did play.

According to Football Outsiders, he was in on 30 something snaps on ST (I lost count since I had to tally the snap counts on each game individually.)

He also played 9 snaps on offense, on the last drive of two games.

In week 2 against the Jaguars, he played 7 snaps.
I counted 3 pretty good to good block, 1 so-so block, and 1 not-so-good/somewhat-poor block, and 2 kneel-downs to end the game.

In week 4 against the Titans, he was in for the 2 kneel-downs.

Nothing has changed from my perspective.
Clutts is good depth.
Old 10-10-2012   #89
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Has McMannis done anything?
So far he played strictly on ST for the Bears, some 80 total snaps in 5 games.
Old 10-10-2012   #90
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Clutts is cheap insurance for our running game as a blocker.
Old 10-10-2012   #91
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Clutts has done nothing of note, but he did play.

According to Football Outsiders, he was in on 30 something snaps on ST (I lost count since I had to tally the snap counts on each game individually.)

He also played 9 snaps on offense, on the last drive of two games.

In week 2 against the Jaguars, he played 7 snaps.
I counted 3 pretty good to good block, 1 so-so block, and 1 not-so-good/somewhat-poor block, and 2 kneel-downs to end the game.

In week 4 against the Titans, he was in for the 2 kneel-downs.

Nothing has changed from my perspective.
Clutts is good depth.
Thanks 76T, MSR.
Old 10-10-2012   #92
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 136745 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

What # does he wear? I honestly can't place him at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #93
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Old 10-10-2012   #94
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Clutts wears #40.

Like I said, the most number of offensive snaps he saw was in week 2.
In week 4, he was in for 2 kneels down and he was standing close to the line, it's hard to see him.

I saw that playoffs already posts a pix just before I post this, haha!
Old 10-10-2012   #95
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The only time I saw him was before Monday night's game when he was warming up catching balls next to either Schaub or TJ and then handing them to the QB.
paycheck71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #96
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 136745 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Clutts wears #40.

Like I said, the most number of offensive snaps he saw was in week 2.
In week 4, he was in for 2 kneels down and he was standing close to the line, it's hard to see him.

I saw that playoffs already posts a pix just before I post this, haha!
Much obliged...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read