Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-09-2012   #41
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How come the Jets loss and we didn't win?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Anyone else getting mad that they aren't covering our win but covering the Jets loss? I understand the whole bigger market thing but this is ridiculous.

I've heard how the Jets were only an onside kick, and a few interceptions away from winning this game.

But we aren't hearing how The Jets had multiple chances to take the game but couldn't convert because when push came to shove our defense shoved them out of FG range. Or how really the only reason it was close was because of a stupid Kick Off return, otherwise it's a par for the course 23-10 win for us.

Did the Texans play sloppy? Yes. Did the Texans play down to their opponent? Yes. But overall it was a team that did all the small things right to win the game.

I can only imagine how much it will be because Green Bay lost next week.

Oh well.....just keep winning Texans.
Who cares. Let the Texans continue flying under the radar (as much as one can assume seeing as how we are one of two undefeated teams) in scenarios like this.

Im actually glad that we got a win in such ugly fashion like we did. That shows us that we arent invincible like we thought we were. I think we will have our hands full with GB so a gut check game like this came at the right time. As far as Im concerned, let the media play down our wins, I can guarentee you that our opponents notice the talent.
Old 10-09-2012   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Who cares. Let the Texans continue flying under the radar (as much as one can assume seeing as how we are one of two undefeated teams) in scenarios like this.

Im actually glad that we got a win in such ugly fashion like we did. That shows us that we arent invincible like we thought we were. I think we will have our hands full with GB so a gut check game like this came at the right time. As far as Im concerned, let the media play down our wins, I can guarentee you that our opponents notice the talent.
We're the consensus #1 team in the league & have been since week 3. We are not flying under the radar.

Why are some saying this was an ugly win? We were never not in control of the outcome of that game, on the road, against a team we've never beat, on Monday freak'n night.

This is an ugly win Ravens 9 KC 6
Old 10-09-2012   #43
GlenRice
Veteran

Rep Power: 681 GlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respected

Stop whining, texans have gotten a lot coverage this year. They were the first topic on around the horn today.
GlenRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #44
2slik4u
All Pro

Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

UOTE=Fiddler;2032653]ee're the consensus #1 team in the league & have been since ek 3. We are not flying under the radar.

Why are some saying this was an ugly win? We were never not in control of the outcome of that game, on the road, against a team we've never beat, on Monday freak'n night.

This is an ugly win Ravens 9 KC 6[/quote]

It was an ugly win in the following ways:

1. Schaub had his worst game of the season and posted a 71 quarterback rating. He also threw his Second pick of the season.
2. Andre Johnson was held to one catch.
3. We failed to covert three red zone trips into tds and settled for field goals.
4. We allowed one of the worst offenses in the league to ring up 17 points on us and actually had a chance to win game...albeit a small one.
5. Jonathan Joseph had arguably his worst game in a Texans uniform.

If you somehow think that was an impressive win then you are blind to the deficiencies that were displayed. I do think it was a quality win but we should have handled them much easier.
Old 10-09-2012   #45
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
4. We allowed one of the worst offenses in the league to ring up 17 points on us and actually had a chance to win game...albeit a small one.
No, their offense did not ring up 17 points.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #46
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
No, their offense did not ring up 17 points.
Not sure I'm following you...
Old 10-10-2012   #47
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 53247 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not sure I'm following you...
7 on special teams
Old 10-10-2012   #48
ajohnson80
Veteran

Rep Power: 810 ajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't believe people still watch espn to hear some guy analyze all 5 times tebow touched the ball and why he should or shouldn't be starting. is this what people really want to hear espn talk about?
ajohnson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #49
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It was an ugly win in the following ways:

1. Schaub had his worst game of the season and posted a 71 quarterback rating. He also threw his Second pick of the season.
eh.... he wasn't sacked, showed good pocket presence, command of the offense, & good judgement.
Quote:
2. Andre Johnson was held to one catch.
Andre Johnson caught one ball, dropped two, maybe three. Had nothing to do with Cromartie. We also saw more Posey, Martin, & Casey in the offense. OD & KDub really stepped it up as well. Good to see considering most of us do not expect the big fella to play 16 games.
Quote:
3. We failed to covert three red zone trips into tds and settled for field goals.
True
Quote:
Are you telling me the defense wasn't awesome Monday night? That the world doesn't know Jj Watt now? Cushing left mid 2nd Qtr & their offense put up 3 points. We got two turnovers. The Jets converted only 28% of their third downs & we held them to 3 ypc on 69 yards, even though our offense did not nullify the running game..... & did I mention Jj Watt still leads the league in sacks after 5 weeks?
Quote:
5. Jonathan Joseph had arguably his worst game in a Texans uniform.
Yup, But Kj stepped it up, so did McCain This is a team sport.
Quote:
If you somehow think that was an impressive win then you are blind to the deficiencies that were displayed. I do think it was a quality win but we should have handled them much easier.
There's a lot of territory between impressive & ugly. Our offense played clean, I can't think of any offensive penalties. We moved the ball, scored 23 points & controlled the game from start to finish. Our defense made the Jets work their asses off to score 10 points.

Not impressive, far from it. Not ugly, far from it. It's a W against an AFC opponent. They're talking about moral victories, not us.
Old 10-10-2012   #50
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
eh.... he wasn't sacked, showed good pocket presence, command of the offense, & good judgement.

Andre Johnson caught one ball, dropped two, maybe three. Had nothing to do with Cromartie. We also saw more Posey, Martin, & Casey in the offense. OD & KDub really stepped it up as well. Good to see considering most of us do not expect the big fella to play 16 games.

True

Are you telling me the defense wasn't awesome Monday night? That the world doesn't know Jj Watt now? Cushing left mid 2nd Qtr & their offense put up 3 points. We got two turnovers. The Jets converted only 28% of their third downs & we held them to 3 ypc on 69 yards, even though our offense did not nullify the running game..... & did I mention Jj Watt still leads the league in sacks after 5 weeks?

There's a lot of territory between impressive & ugly. Our offense played clean, I can't think of any offensive penalties. We moved the ball, scored 23 points & controlled the game from start to finish. Our defense made the Jets work their asses off to score 10 points.

Not impressive, far from it. Not ugly, far from it. It's a W against an AFC opponent. They're talking about moral victories, not us.
Like I said before, it was a quality win and Im glad we won, obivously but there is no reason we should not have blown them out of the water. We were a much better team on paper and turf. I know I know, MNF, their backs were against the wall, blah, blah, blah.

Bottom line, we won the game by one score against a team that is literally imploding on itself. It was an ugly win.

We can read stats all day that defend our side of the story but in an effort to not waste too much time, we can just agree to disagree.
Old 10-10-2012   #51
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They're talking about moral victories, not us.
This is the thing that has me most pumped...

No more discussion of "moral victories" for the Texans. Just the quality of actual victories.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #52
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand when the NFL became college football. In this league most games are decided in the 4th quarter and are within 10 points no matter the difference in quality of the teams playing. Last year the Giants barely beat Miami at home and lost to Washington twice. Green Bay lost to a below average Chiefs team without their best offensive player.

We're not going to blow everybody out. That includes the bad teams. There will be times when they play better and we play worse causing a closer game. Show me one Super Bowl team that never played close games against non-playoff opponents. If some people are hoping for us to demolish every team we play then there are gonna be some disappointed folks.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #53
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I don't understand when the NFL became college football. In this league most games are decided in the 4th quarter and are within 10 points no matter the difference in quality of the teams playing. Last year the Giants barely beat Miami at home and lost to Washington twice. Green Bay lost to a below average Chiefs team without their best offensive player.

We're not going to blow everybody out. That includes the bad teams. There will be times when they play better and we play worse causing a closer game. Show me one Super Bowl team that never played close games against non-playoff opponents. If some people are hoping for us to demolish every team we play then there are gonna be some disappointed folks.
Hey, the time has changed.

Now, some folks figure that we have arrived and should be able to blow all the "bad-to-mediocre" teams out of the water.

Old 10-10-2012   #54
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

True

Not anymore.

Quote:
Mark Berman‏@MarkBermanFox26

The Elias Sports Bureau took a sack away from J.J. Watt against Miami cuz it was ruled a run. Watt now has 7.5 sacks. Clay Matthews has 8.
Old 10-10-2012   #55
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Not anymore.
Elias has the authority to change official NFL stats? Never heard of that before.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #56
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Not anymore.
Well, yeah. Tannerhill tripped and felt on what I thought was an attempt at a run play.

If they want to take that away, I'm fine with it.

But I thought Watt was stripped off a sack, I can't recall where and when.

It doesn't matter at any rate.
The guy is still playing incredibly well.
Old 10-10-2012   #57
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 925 nflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respected

I know I was sweating in my panties for the last few minutes of this game. Makes me wonder truthfully about the division and the weakness of it...Lord knows I bleed steel blue, but this was a weak win in my opinion! Hope to see more OFFENSIVE protection in the GB game, jus sayin.
Old 10-10-2012   #58
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post

This is 100% accurate...which then equates those wins to "ugly wins".

I define an ugly win as winning the game even though your team did not play anywhere near the potential or skill they have displayed in prior games.
Old 10-10-2012   #59
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
This is 100% accurate...which then equates those wins to "ugly wins".

I define an ugly win as winning the game even though your team did not play anywhere near the potential or skill they have displayed in prior games.
To me an ugly win would be several mistakes, miscues, & WTFs.... fumbles, interceptions, penalties, dropped passes, missed tackles, errant passes, missed blocks, missed field goals, botched snaps... & still manage to win the game.

If our defense had allowed the Jets offense to score 20 points, if our offense racked up one three & out after another, If Arian Foster didn't rack up over 100 yards in the first half alone, maybe I would call that an ugly win.

But like I said, our offense was clean. They had more false starts & delays of games than we did, in their house. The defense did their thing. It was Monday night & the game was not too big for them boys on Kirby.

& I'll say this... knowing no one else looks at a football game the way I do, but that was probably Matt Schaub's best game in his last 10 starts. 50% completion percentage, 71 passer rating, I know. But he got out of the pocket, extended plays, made things happen. His receivers let him down & he made some good decisions not to force anything & just threw the ball away. So I don't think the stats are reflective of his performance on this one. He played like an All-Pro/MVP in my opinion. Later, I think this is going to pay off for us big time.
Old 10-10-2012   #60
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I bet the 49ers would have loved to have had an UGLY win vs. the Vikings this year. They got a loss on their record and we don't.

I just don't give a crap about how we win anymore. If we find a way to win, we're winners. If not, we're losers. Win, Lose, Winners, Losers, who cares.

At some point, the best teams just find ways to get it done every week and in the only game that ultimately matters. We have that type of team now.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read