Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-09-2012   #61
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our new look ILB position moving forward.

With the extra pick we have I wonder if the Texans will be looking to trade for a ILB before trade deadline.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #62
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Count me in for this option if San Fran is willing to let this guy go.

Quote:
1. Tavares Gooden, ILB, 49′ers - Gooden is a terrific athlete, but he plays behind Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman so he won’t be starting anytime soon unless there is an injury. The 49′ers signed Gooden to a 1 year deal last year. I don’t know if the 49′ers would even consider moving Gooden since they are one of the best teams in the league, but if the Texans offered a 3rd rounder for their backup LB, they might have to take that deal. Gooden could also become a full-time starter next to Cushing in the future.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #63
ItsMyFault
It's on me.

Rep Power: 488 ItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Count me in for this option if San Fran is willing to let this guy go.
This sounds like a pretty good option.
Old 10-09-2012   #64
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMyFault View Post
This sounds like a pretty good option.
He's better than most guys we'd draft at the position anyway in the 3rd round. It would take away a draft need and fill an immediate void. Seeing as how he's on a one year deal I doubt the Niners would pass up getting such a good pick for him. A Cushing/Gooden Linebacking core next year sounds very nice with Sharpton, James, Dobbins, or Alexander backing up.
Old 10-09-2012   #65
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awc713 View Post
Why are yall worrying about the draft???
Welcome to the MB.

Please go away
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #66
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
So our resident defensive guru never went "hmm, wonder what the heck I am going to do if Cushing goes down?"
Publicly? With a Mic in his face? Can't recall anything off the top of my head no.

EDIT This is the latest thing that I have read in regards to Reed moving to ILB:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubiak

Kubiak expressed confidence that backup linebacker Tim Dobbins will play well in assuming Cushing’s spot in the starting lineup. And he expressed confidence that Cushing will work hard and return to the field as strong as ever.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...l-block-dirty/
Old 10-09-2012   #67
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometexansfan View Post
Here's LZ's thoughts on replacing Cushing

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootbal...brian-cushing/
Thanks for link.

I don't see LZ's logic in thinking the 49ers would trade us ANY PLAYER since we might be meeting them in the SB.

Dobbins is, as I agree with LZ, the only option. But who sits behind Dobbins now? THAT is the million dollar question. Alexander? I don't think it's Sharpton because he wouldn't be ready even if he were available right now, according to Kubiak's own words on the matter.

So we can't have any more bad luck at ILB, or it could be really really bad. t's really bad right now, it cannot get really REALLY bad. Or else.

Thank you, Rex Ryan! On your way to sucking balls this year you managed to find a way to remove our best ILB for the season. Way to go, chump.
Old 10-09-2012   #68
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Thanks for link.

I don't see LZ's logic in thinking the 49ers would trade us ANY PLAYER since we might be meeting them in the SB.

Dobbins is, as I agree with LZ, the only option. But who sits behind Dobbins now? THAT is the million dollar question. Alexander? I don't think it's Sharpton because he wouldn't be ready even if he were available right now, according to Kubiak's own words on the matter.

So we can't have any more bad luck at ILB, or it could be really really bad. t's really bad right now, it cannot get really REALLY bad. Or else.

Thank you, Rex Ryan! On your way to sucking balls this year you managed to find a way to remove our best ILB for the season. Way to go, chump.
I don't think San Francisco would worry about giving up a player to a team in an opposing conference because they might meet them in the Super Bowl. Maybe a divisional rival, but that's looking way too far ahead if they're being offered a good pick for a backup player on their roster. I don't think it's gonna happen, but for the same reasons we're not willing to part with Ben Tate. If Bowman or Willis get hurt they're going to be depending on Gooden to step up. They would only consider it because he's likely gone after the season anyway. You hate to lose guys for nothing when you can acquire picks to replace them.

All that being said, Dobbins is going to have to play big. I have confidence in him though. He's played like a man when called upon and may surprise some people. We'll miss Cushing's versatility and pass coverage, but we'll be fine.
Old 10-09-2012   #69
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I don't think San Francisco would worry about giving up a player to a team in an opposing conference because they might meet them in the Super Bowl. Maybe a divisional rival, but that's looking way too far ahead if they're being offered a good pick for a backup player on their roster. I don't think it's gonna happen, but for the same reasons we're not willing to part with Ben Tate. If Bowman or Willis get hurt they're going to be depending on Gooden to step up. They would only consider it because he's likely gone after the season anyway. You hate to lose guys for nothing when you can acquire picks to replace them.

All that being said, Dobbins is going to have to play big. I have confidence in him though. He's played like a man when called upon and may surprise some people. We'll miss Cushing's versatility and pass coverage, but we'll be fine.
The bolded is exactly what concerns me and perhaps some others. Who is going to fill the Cushmoster's shoes in nickle and dime? Dobbins is all downhill, and good at it. In coverage? I'm not so sure and I can see saliva running down Rodger's and Flacco's chin.

Hope Wade can be trusted in to fix this cluster.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #70
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Even before Cushing's injury I was leaning towards ILB in draft this year that or a RT if Newton or Butler don't solidify the spot as the season goes on.

Of all the things I think this team is going to miss is Cushing's intensity. It's kind of like Ray Lewis for the Ravens in that the defense feeds off his emotion and intensity.

Personally, I'd like to see the FO scouring the waiver wire or looking to make a trade (highly doubtful).
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #71
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131162 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Reed is the best choice to be moved. Similar size, similar playing style (reckless) and athletic enough to cover. I would move Reed and allow Mercilus to start at OLB

ALSO, for this week anyway, I would be in dime almost all game. Do like you did the first few weeks. Stop the pass and don't concern yourself too much on the run. Keep them out of the endzone. If Harris is not activated this week you might as well cut him. We will need all the dbs we have and if JJo plays like he did last night we're doomed. I would bring Keo in and make him play in the box and cover the TE. Wade will have to do something crazy to make this work next Sunday. Then he has a bigger challenge coming up with something for a balanced Ravens offense.

Barwin Smith Cody Watt Mercilus
Reed James
Jackson Manning Quin Joseph

That would be our base

Barwin Smith Cody Watt Reed
Keo James
Jackson Manning Quin Joseph

Nickle

Barwin Smith Watt Reed
Keo James
Jackson McCain Manning Quin Joseph

IDk, something similar
This is the inhouse solution if a suitable trade cant be arranged. Good damn post.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #72
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

how did dobbins look to yall? his progression's been pretty remarkable, is it possible he can take over without much of a drop off? james has looked bad, so that's where the hurt is going to come from, but if we spend most of the game with a 3rd safety in the game anyways we might be able to mask the loss of cushing quite a bit.
Old 10-09-2012   #73
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
how did dobbins look to yall? his progression's been pretty remarkable, is it possible he can take over without much of a drop off? james has looked bad, so that's where the hurt is going to come from, but if we spend most of the game with a 3rd safety in the game anyways we might be able to mask the loss of cushing quite a bit.
Replacing Bradie James, maybe. Replacing Cushing, there's going to be a drop off. Dobbins is solid, no doubt. But he isn't a play maker.
Old 10-09-2012   #74
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Replacing Bradie James, maybe. Replacing Cushing, there's going to be a drop off. Dobbins is solid, no doubt. But he isn't a play maker.
I won't call him equal to Cushing, but Tim Dobbins is no joke.

He's now the best ILB on this team. And he stopped Ray Rice cold in his tracks in the playoff game last year when Cushing had to leave the game.

Cushing and Dobbins are pretty close to being the same guy, tbh. Not equals, but not that far apart in on-field play.
Old 10-09-2012   #75
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I won't call him equal to Cushing, but Tim Dobbins is no joke.

He's now the best ILB on this team. And he stopped Ray Rice cold in his tracks in the playoff game last year when Cushing had to leave the game.

Cushing and Dobbins are pretty close to being the same guy, tbh. Not equals, but not that far apart in on-field play.
Cushing is a Top 3 ILB in the game. Dobbins is not even close.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #76
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
Cushing is a Top 3 ILB in the game. Dobbins is not even close.
Sit around and watch. You will be re-visiting this topic in the next few weeks.

I have watched these LBs a lot over the past couple of years, especially since Brian Braman is a fellow WTAMU alumni (as am I). So I have begun to really watch the LB crew out there just because I always wonder when Braman might be able to get more snaps out there...which has led me to watch the ILBs more as a result of that interest in Braman.

We've got two types of LBs: The outside guys who are bigger, Reed and Barwin and Braman etc., and then the inside guys who are smaller and quicker and play differently...little heat-seeking missiles out there.

Dobbins is no joke. I've paid a lot of attention to him in preseason and in regular season games. I didn't say he is equal, remember, I'm just saying that it won't be as huge of a drop off as some think.

The big chink in the armor of this defense is, and will be, Bradie James. Cushing's talent masked James' lack thereof, but I don't know if Dobbins will be able to mask James' inferior play as much as Cushing did.

Still, Dobbins is a beast against the run...that pesky thing all you guys are pissing and moaning about every week. Pass rush will be handled by the OLBs anyways. And JJ Watt, obviously. The ILBs need to shoot gaps on run plays. Dobbins and James can do that well enough.

Manning should have a larger role, hopefully, as well. He's a heavy hitter and should be used more in that role now.
Old 10-09-2012   #77
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131162 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Dobbins is a good short area run stuffer. Give him to much ground to cover or coverage responsibilities and we're going to hurt.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #78
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Dobbins is a good short area run stuffer. Give him to much ground to cover or coverage responsibilities and we're going to hurt.
Cushing had a game, Dolphins game I think, where he (Cushing) was getting abused badly in the open space to there.

It happens.

You guys act like it was only Brian Cushing out there that made the defense what it was and is. Brooks Reed is, arguably, making as many big plays as Cushing is known for over the years.

People need to dial down the "Woe Is Me" stuff. I'm not saying we won't miss a beat, but we're not suddenly a sinking ship. Players get hurt in the NFL.
Old 10-09-2012   #79
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sit around and watch. You will be re-visiting this topic in the next few weeks.

I have watched these LBs a lot over the past couple of years, especially since Brian Braman is a fellow WTAMU alumni (as am I). So I have begun to really watch the LB crew out there just because I always wonder when Braman might be able to get more snaps out there...which has led me to watch the ILBs more as a result of that interest in Braman.

We've got two types of LBs: The outside guys who are bigger, Reed and Barwin and Braman etc., and then the inside guys who are smaller and quicker and play differently...little heat-seeking missiles out there.

Dobbins is no joke. I've paid a lot of attention to him in preseason and in regular season games. I didn't say he is equal, remember, I'm just saying that it won't be as huge of a drop off as some think.

The big chink in the armor of this defense is, and will be, Bradie James. Cushing's talent masked James' lack thereof, but I don't know if Dobbins will be able to mask James' inferior play as much as Cushing did.

Still, Dobbins is a beast against the run...that pesky thing all you guys are pissing and moaning about every week. Pass rush will be handled by the OLBs anyways. And JJ Watt, obviously. The ILBs need to shoot gaps on run plays. Dobbins and James can do that well enough.

Manning should have a larger role, hopefully, as well. He's a heavy hitter and should be used more in that role now.
You said pretty close to the same guy as Cushing. I'm telling you he's not even close. Dobbins is a thumper that can make plays in a phone booth and take on guards. He is not a playmaker and lacks speed and quickness. Right now he's good at one thing and thats attacking the running game downhill.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #80
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i dont think you can call them "pretty close to being the same guy", because cushing is about the most complete linebacker playing today in my opinion, but i'm encouraged by your last post GP. that's a lot of the impression of dobbins i've got as well - he certainly has shown up. there are going to be more busted plays and misses with dobbins compared to cushing, but that's to be expected, he is likely to make himself known as a positive on defense.

as you also said, my worry isnt so much that dobbins can contribute - it's how much he can mask james. i'd be much more comfortable with a rangy playmaker than a thumper beside james, but maybe with our struggles in run defense this might not hurt as bad as it looks.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read