Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-09-2012   #41
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our new look ILB position moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
It is a bit different but sometimes the difference gets exaggerated. Jamie Sharper was a 4-3 OLB to get his SB ring with Baltimore and then became an excellent 3-4 ILB in Houston. Derrick Johnson played 4-3 OLB to begin with and now plays 3-4 ILB.
Both, like Cushing, moved from an 43 outstide to inside in a 34 and all did well. Which I posted was possible, and often done with good results.

I cannot recall any 34 OLB moving in to play 34 ILB or 43 MLB. Nor can I remember anybody making the move in the other direction.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #42
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade had moved his own guys back and forth between ILB and OLB before: Mike Croel and Michael Brooks when he was with the Broncos, for example.

Croel was drafted by Wade and played at RILB in first season before moving to LOLB.
Brooks played ROLB for several years but moved to RILB in 1992.

Also, in Wade's last season with the Broncos (94), he converted the defense to a 4-3; Croel was moved back to SAM.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #43
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Wade had moved his own guys back and forth between ILB and OLB before: Mike Croel and Michael Brooks when he was with the Broncos, for example.
Did not know that. Maybe the idea of moving somebody like Reed inside isn't as far fetched as I first thought. I wonder how Wade feels about Mercilus at this time?
Old 10-09-2012   #44
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The Steelers James Farrior was a OLB and he moved inside. Lawrence Timmons started as an OLB also.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #45
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

I stand corrected, more succesful examples than I thought. Thanks for the info gentlemen.
Old 10-09-2012   #46
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
The Steelers James Farrior was a OLB and he moved inside. Lawrence Timmons started as an OLB also.
I'd have to guess these transitions weren't made mid-season. I think all the Reed, Mercilus, etc to ILB talk is just that...talk. I don't think we could ask a rookie or a 2nd year player still transitioning to 3-4 OLB to jump right in and perform at a high level as ILBs

FYI, just piggy-backin your post
Old 10-09-2012   #47
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant Hothy View Post
Did not know that. Maybe the idea of moving somebody like Reed inside isn't as far fetched as I first thought. I wonder how Wade feels about Mercilus at this time?
I like to get him on the field, but I think he's a bit tight in the hip to handle the change of direction at the ILB position (4.53 in the shuttle and 7.17 in the 3-cone.)

At the MO I think he can get by with his good initial burst to jump on the RB out of the backfield (and his long arms can help him from missing too many tackles), but as the lone LB in the nickel and dime, it can get tough.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #48
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
I may be wrong, but I think I´ve read a Wade quote after the draft, that they will find ways to put Barwin, Reed and Mercilus on the field at the same time. And if I remember correctly, he was specifically calling Reed as an ILB a possiblity. Of course only in obvious passing situations...

But the question remains: are we condident that our 4 ILBs will suffice, or will we try to find another ILB somewhere?
At this point in time though, the talks about Reed moving to ILB have all come from fans. None of the coaches have been quoted saying anything about that.

Of course, it's like, maybe 18 hours after the injury occurred so the Coaches haven't really had a lot of time to think it out and then put it out to the media.
Old 10-09-2012   #49
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
A third or fourth rounder would probably do it. Cushing will return.

In the first I would love to see a really good nose tackle. Not that our current guys are terrible at that spot, but the Texans really have no glaring weaknesses at this point that demand a first round pick, and the NT position may well be the weakest position on the team.
I'd prefer an O Lineman if there's a someone that falls. The Texans should be drafting BPA though so it doesn't really matter.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #50
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 49923 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

It's time to pick up the phone and call DJ Bryant.

For depth, for rotation, for familiarity, to move inside (if need be). He's an athlete.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #51
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
It's time to pick up the phone and call DJ Bryant.

For depth, for rotation, for familiarity, to move inside (if need be). He's an athlete.
I thought Bryant was an OLB and was mostly good because of his speed around the edge?
Old 10-09-2012   #52
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Can't really call DJ Bryant as he is a Buc right now.
Old 10-09-2012   #53
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
At this point in time though, the talks about Reed moving to ILB have all come from fans. None of the coaches have been quoted saying anything about that.

Of course, it's like, maybe 18 hours after the injury occurred so the Coaches haven't really had a lot of time to think it out and then put it out to the media.
So our resident defensive guru never went "hmm, wonder what the heck I am going to do if Cushing goes down?"
Old 10-09-2012   #54
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 76308 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Reed is the best choice to be moved. Similar size, similar playing style (reckless) and athletic enough to cover. I would move Reed and allow Mercilus to start at OLB

ALSO, for this week anyway, I would be in dime almost all game. Do like you did the first few weeks. Stop the pass and don't concern yourself too much on the run. Keep them out of the endzone. If Harris is not activated this week you might as well cut him. We will need all the dbs we have and if JJo plays like he did last night we're doomed. I would bring Keo in and make him play in the box and cover the TE. Wade will have to do something crazy to make this work next Sunday. Then he has a bigger challenge coming up with something for a balanced Ravens offense.

Barwin Smith Cody Watt Mercilus
Reed James
Jackson Manning Quin Joseph

That would be our base

Barwin Smith Cody Watt Reed
Keo James

Nickle

Barwin Smith Watt Reed
Keo James
Jackson McCain Manning Quin Joseph

IDk, something similar
Old 10-09-2012   #55
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 49923 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant Hothy View Post
Can't really call DJ Bryant as he is a Buc right now.
Shows on NFL.com that he was cut - unless it's a mistake.

But as far as Bryant as outside and inside, at least Bryant has more experience at ILB from college...more than Reed, as a converted DE.

The point is, if Crush is out you're going to have to he creative, and it might behoove the team to bring in someone who knows the system so you get a little creative. That's not to say, however, Tim Dobbins sucked. He held his own. But what will you so with that roster spot if Sharp ton can't go?
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #56
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Shows on NFL.com that he was cut - unless it's a mistake.

But as far as Bryant as outside and inside, at least Bryant has more experience at ILB from college...more than Reed, as a converted DE.

The point is, if Crush is out you're going to have to he creative, and it might behoove the team to bring in someone who knows the system so you get a little creative. That's not to say, however, Tim Dobbins sucked. He held his own. But what will you so with that roster spot if Sharp ton can't go?
At his point I have no clue. This shows he is a Buc;

http://www.nfl.com/player/d.j.bryant/2536010/profile

but it's the only link I find that lists him as a Buc. The TB website makes no mention of him. So I'd go with him being a street FA at this point.
Old 10-09-2012   #57
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 142 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's LZ's thoughts on replacing Cushing

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootbal...brian-cushing/
sometexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #58
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Reed is the best choice to be moved. Similar size, similar playing style (reckless) and athletic enough to cover. I would move Reed and allow Mercilus to start at OLB

ALSO, for this week anyway, I would be in dime almost all game. Do like you did the first few weeks. Stop the pass and don't concern yourself too much on the run. Keep them out of the endzone. If Harris is not activated this week you might as well cut him. We will need all the dbs we have and if JJo plays like he did last night we're doomed. I would bring Keo in and make him play in the box and cover the TE. Wade will have to do something crazy to make this work next Sunday. Then he has a bigger challenge coming up with something for a balanced Ravens offense.

Barwin Smith Cody Watt Mercilus
Reed James

That would be our base

Barwin Smith Cody Watt Reed
Keo James

Nickle

Barwin Smith Watt Reed
Keo James
Jackson McCain Manning Quin Joseph

IDk, something similar
Replace Keo with Nolan.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #59
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 76308 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Replace Keo with Nolan.
Only reason I choose Keo (In the long run) is because he provides MUCH more vs the run and still has the skill set to defend a TE or RB
Old 10-09-2012   #60
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90752 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I would kill to have them call Pleasant up from the PS.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read