Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2012   #41
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' Wade Phillips would like a head-coaching gig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I don't really see the problem GP. Wade is doing an outstanding job here, and if he gets another gig it will suck to lose him, but all of us should "expect" that to happen. If you want to have a top DC or OC, you can't also expect them not to be in talks for other HC jobs. That's asking to have it both ways, and that simply isn't realistic. HC gigs are always going to go to the hot coordinators around the league or ex HC's that want back in that are still hot commodities like Cowher and Dungy. I don't see Wade as some guy that is campaigning him name out there or anything, but he is being truthful and honest about wanting another shot at bringing a team to glory. After all that is what he has worked his whole life for. He deserves that shot again if teams out there feel that he is the man to get their franchise there. I really hope that you or no one else will bash Wade Phillips if he does end up deciding to take another coaching gig for doing an outstanding job in Houston.

All we can do is hope that he continues to improve our defense little by little for as long as he is here. Whether he leaves or not is out of our hands and we have no control over that.
Well put Tex! I think anyone who bashes Wade needs to understand this isn't a marriage and he's not cheating on us. The guy wants to achieve ultimate success as a head coach. Who can blame him for that? Anyone who has ever tried at something and failed to reach their ultimate goal SHOULD be able to understand that.

I appreciate the job Wade has done for this team and I'd love to have him around. But I know the guy can get the job done as a head coach if he were to be given that opportunity. His failures in the playoffs weren't really all on him. The whining and complaining about him saying he would like to be a head coach again is something I will never understand. But it doesn't surprise me.

Last edited by Texn4life; 10-08-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #42
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Why did Wade pull Fultie from a start in the playoffs in 99?
Old 10-08-2012   #43
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Why did Wade pull Fultie from a start in the playoffs in 99?
Good question. It was a bad head coaching decision considering that season and how Flutie impacted it to get the team into the playoffs. Allegedly, though, Ralph Wilson made him bench Flutie. But it's Wade that gets the blame.

As far as the topic, I agree with SheTex. Worry about this stuff after February.

That being said, I understand GP's rant. Why now, at the beginning of October after just four games? Why is this even being answered? Wade should just look at the reporter asking the question and give him a GTFO look. This same question can come up when it's time. Part of me sees Wade answering the question as a little bait on the hook. It's a little ego-driven, but partly understanding the nature of head coaches, they are all ego-driven to some extent. It comes with the job.

I agree with Wade about his chances of getting an HC offer. He's got a resume and it's pretty decent. Not spectacular by any stretch, but it's a "safe" pick for an owner. However, the trend in the NFL is to get young coordinators, look for the next young genius, so it's an uphill thing for a guy like Wade with his age and resume.

I'm not pissed like GP, but I understand why it's upsetting him. This is the most exciting start of a season that this city has seen in decades, and comes off of the greatest season the Texans have had so far. It's exciting and emotional to be a fan, so let the guy rant, disagree with his take, but keep the personal insults out of it. You know the forum rules. Attack the content of the post, not the individual posting it.
Old 10-08-2012   #44
SwoLy-D
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 SwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respected

What's the #)*%^@$#(%*^ matter with stupid questions like that, during the season, in the apogee of the pinnacle of our beloved TEXANS, from USA TODAY?!?!?!

I wonder how they asked him... and of course he answered humbly. I know he's not just going to blurt it out without being asked. *We're in the middle of a great run, USA TODAY! Stop asking dumb questions!!!
SwoLy-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #45
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kinda hoping Wade doesn't get his opportunity to scratch that itch, although he clearly feels there's unfinished business. I know we'd move on in the event of losing Wade and either continue the same direction by promoting one of his disciples or re-haul the D scheme again and look for continued success that way, but it just feels like a match made in heaven and has the makings of a long term success story him staying here.

If he goes, I wish him the best, but I don't wanna lose him, I enjoy watching this team play more now than at any time during the 9 years I've followed them.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #46
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would Wade go anywhere knowing that GP will give him a thorough tongue lashing rarely seen on message boards?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Good question. It was a bad head coaching decision considering that season and how Flutie impacted it to get the team into the playoffs. Allegedly, though, Ralph Wilson made him bench Flutie. But it's Wade that gets the blame.
eh... other coaches have made the same decision with less blow back. Del Rio pulled Garrard after getting to the play-offs to start Leftwich, because Leftwich was the starter..... Garrard made that a better team at that time.

Batch was playing well, got benched in favor of their starter & I think Pittsburgh won the Superbowl that year.

Montana/ Young....

We don't know how things would have turned out if Flutie started. It may have been the same result, the other team gets paid too.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read