Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-09-2012   #361
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The improbable improvement of Kareem Jackson

Interception on a tipped pass is nice to see, but really not even something I'd attribute to him. He's had solid coverage, but it still frustrated me that he had his back to the play on that endzone pass (which, in fairness, didn't end up being even catchable by his receiver)
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #362
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
What's with all the seasoning. Crow is not meant to be tasty! lol.

And Kareem isn't bad at all. He's actually turned out to be a pretty good corner. Not quite great yet, but he's looked better than J-Jo in a couple games. He's learned a lot from him and Vance obviously.
I've defended Kj since day one. Not that he didn't "suck" but he played over his head as a rookie.

However, he has looked better than Jjo in the last 2-3 games, because Jjo's level of play has dropped as much as Kj's has improved. I think Jjo is dealing with one of those undocumented injuries & we just need him to get healthy.
Old 10-09-2012   #363
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I've defended Kj since day one. Not that he didn't "suck" but he played over his head as a rookie.

However, he has looked better than Jjo in the last 2-3 games, because Jjo's level of play has dropped as much as Kj's has improved. I think Jjo is dealing with one of those undocumented injuries & we just need him to get healthy.
It's easy to sit back and say "I've defended him since day one" when you registered for this board only a few months ago.
Old 10-09-2012   #364
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Interception on a tipped pass is nice to see, but really not even something I'd attribute to him. He's had solid coverage, but it still frustrated me that he had his back to the play on that endzone pass (which, in fairness, didn't end up being even catchable by his receiver)
Get over it, watch other CBs, sometimes you play the QB, sometimes you play the receiver. On that play, he's playing the receiver, he's going to have his back to the QB. That was text-book & Sanchez threw the ball away because he knew he had no shot.

As far as the INT on the tipped ball, I think it shows great, yes great, improvement on the part of Kj because it shows he's expanding his awareness beyond his particular responsibilities. The game is slowing down for him & now he's able to "see" the field. More or less. Just like jumping the pass on his last INT, he's not focusing on "technique" he's playing off instincts & it was his instincts that made the Texans think he was "the most NFL ready" corner available @ 20
Old 10-09-2012   #365
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Get over it, watch other CBs, sometimes you play the QB, sometimes you play the receiver. On that play, he's playing the receiver, he's going to have his back to the QB. That was text-book & Sanchez threw the ball away because he knew he had no shot.

As far as the INT on the tipped ball, I think it shows great, yes great, improvement on the part of Kj because it shows he's expanding his awareness beyond his particular responsibilities. The game is slowing down for him & now he's able to "see" the field. More or less. Just like jumping the pass on his last INT, he's not focusing on "technique" he's playing off instincts & it was his instincts that made the Texans think he was "the most NFL ready" corner available @ 20
What do you mean "get over it". I've defended KJ over the years constantly, I'm just nitpicking that there is still room for improvement.

A couple games ago when he jumped that pass, now THAT was encouraging.
Old 10-09-2012   #366
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
What do you mean "get over it". I've defended KJ over the years constantly, I'm just nitpicking that there is still room for improvement.

A couple games ago when he jumped that pass, now THAT was encouraging.
Get over it, as in he will not always be facing the QB, sometimes it's better to keep his eyes on the receiver. That receiver never "went" for the ball, Kj had no "tell" to turn around & look for the ball. Sanchez threw it away.
Old 10-09-2012   #367
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
It's easy to sit back and say "I've defended him since day one" when you registered for this board only a few months ago.
Don't be getting "all literal" on us.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #368
buddyboy
All Pro

Quote:
Get over it, as in he will not always be facing the QB, sometimes it's better to keep his eyes on the receiver. That receiver never "went" for the ball, Kj had no "tell" to turn around & look for the ball. Sanchez threw it away.
You're right, the WR never made a movement that he was actually going for the ball. I do think that a good QB and good WR can make that hookup over his head (neither of which existed in last night's game, but like I said, I'm nitpicking to temper my own optimism)
Old 10-09-2012   #369
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

On the INT, the Jets lined up with 2 receivers and the TE on Jackson's side.
The Texans were in 2-deep, man-under.

The Jets ran a double Hi-Lo concept with the #1 receiver - the wide out Schilens #85 (Kareem's man) - and the #2 receiver - the slot receiver #11 Kerley (McCain's man) - running deep routes to clear out the space underneath.
The TE #86 Cumberland ran a 10-yd square out.

This pattern is designed to keep the safety Nolan back deep while forcing the LCB back on his heel as well (as he might not get safety's help).

Jackson recognized the pattern very well and broke off his man to help out Quin.
The flexibility in the hips afforded Kareem the ability to react back and change direction quickly - as well as to stick with the receiver.)
He was ready to put the hit on the TE when he saw the ball being deflected.
Again, that hip flexibility allowed him to change direction yet again to make the INT.

On one of his previous INTs, he also recognized the tip ball quickly and played through the receiver to get to the ball. There's no PI on a batted ball; the CB can even tackle the receiver if he wanted to.
He beat the receiver to the punch.

All 3 of his INTs are quality plays, IMHO.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #370
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

On the ball that Sanchez had to throw away, the receiver Schillen ran a swirl route.
Jackson was in one-on-one with Schillen, no safety help.

Schillen ran 10 yards and worked to the inside hard before cutting back toward the corner.

Had Jackson turned his head (it would have been to the inside), he would have lost the receiver when he cut back toward the corner.

All Jackson had to do is what he did: To pin the receiver to the end line and push him out of bound when the ball comes (with the change in rule that came out a few years ago, the CB can push the receiver out of bound once the ball is in his hands.) If the receiver doesn't have both feet in bound, it's an incompletion. Simple but efficient strategy by Jackson here.
Old 10-09-2012   #371
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Coaching. We see it on our Oline also.
Old 10-09-2012   #372
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
All Jackson had to do is what he did: To pin the receiver to the end line and push him out of bound when the ball comes (with the change in rule that came out a few years ago, the CB can push the receiver out of bound once the ball is in his hands.) If the receiver doesn't have both feet in bound, it's an incompletion. Simple but efficient strategy by Jackson here.
I can only hope that was Kj's plan. Hope he isn't reading these boards & feeling the pressure to turn his head & play the ball. The simplest thing to do there, like you said, is when the reciever keys in on the ball in the air, before his feet comes down, push him out of bounds.

I don't see many DBs playing it that way. But since the rule change, it's the highest percentage play imo.

I agree, Kj did an excellent job forcing the receiver to the back line & keeping his eyes on him.
Old 10-09-2012   #373
buddyboy
All Pro

Quote:
I can only hope that was Kj's plan. Hope he isn't reading these boards & feeling the pressure to turn his head & play the ball. The simplest thing to do there, like you said, is when the reciever keys in on the ball in the air, before his feet comes down, push him out of bounds.

I don't see many DBs playing it that way. But since the rule change, it's the highest percentage play imo.

I agree, Kj did an excellent job forcing the receiver to the back line & keeping his eyes on him.
Completely forgot about that rule, ya'll are 100% correct.
Old 10-09-2012   #374
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

It happens from time to time.
Jackson did it against Dez Bryant once in his rookie year on a ball along the sideline. Bryant is big and tall and can jump. It was a good play by Jackson knowing that he can't outjump the receiver.

Also, JJo did it recently against the Denver's receiver, whatshisname (?) in the endzone. He was beat, but recovered enough give the receiver a shove before he can get both feet inbound.
Old 10-09-2012   #375
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Also, JJo did it recently against the Denver's receiver, whatshisname (?) in the endzone. He was beat, but recovered enough give the receiver a shove before he can get both feet inbound.
Nah, Jjo had nothing to do with that play. He was beat, like a rookie playing on the '10 Texans' defense. D.Thomas just wasn't able to get his toe down.

I didn't see a push that should have prevented Thomas from getting his toe down.
Old 10-09-2012   #376
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 10-09-2012   #377
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Nah, Jjo had nothing to do with that play. He was beat, like a rookie playing on the '10 Texans' defense. D.Thomas just wasn't able to get his toe down.

I didn't see a push that should have prevented Thomas from getting his toe down.
Watch the replay again Fidd, in slow motion if you will.
J Jo did just enough to push D. Thomas out of bound.
I just rewatched it again (I must have rewatched that play close to twenty times.)
Old 10-09-2012   #378
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Nice pix, b0ng!
For that, you deserve all the zesty garlic parmesean sauce you want on your crow.
Old 10-09-2012   #379
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I defended him on Clutchfans, can I have a cookie?

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #380
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 48076 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolyat93 View Post
I defended him on Clutchfans, can I have a cookie?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read