Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2012   #61
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: wtf packers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
a mute point
Old 10-09-2012   #62
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Rep Power: 7456 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected

And on to SNF vs Packers after and ugly win against the Jets last night.
TexansBlood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #63
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Flags burn the Packers [You might want to read the whole story]
Quote:
What's wrong with the Green Bay Packers - besides the drops, injuries, sacks, middle-of-the-pack offense and the lack of generating turnovers, that is?

Well, they're also leading the NFL in the wrong statistical category:

Penalty yards.

Green Bay has the most penalty yards in the league with 390 and the fourth-most penalties with 40 in five games.

After correcting this issue a year ago, it's back, and this is not a distinction the Packers really want to accompany their 2-3 record.

"I figured we were probably pretty close" to leading the NFL, fullback John Kuhn said. "It's unfortunate that our penalties are so high because we're trying to be more of a physical team. We just need to do that in a correct fashion.

"We just need to play more fundamentally sound. Obviously we're not doing that well enough. They always say, don't give the official the chance to make the call."

And yet, the Packers have been playing plenty of flag football. Half a dozen Packers in the locker room Monday said they weren't aware of their ranking in the penalty department, and all of them shook their heads at the numbers.

The current status stands in sharp contrast to Green Bay's record-breaking 2011 season, when the Packers had just 76 penalties in 16 games and were docked just 591 yards, tied for best in the league. So they are capable of avoiding the flag.
Quote:
What's interesting is that it hasn't seemed to matter who is calling the Green Bay games - the replacement officials during the lockout for the first three weeks of the season or the regular officials who came back to work two games ago.

The Packers were flagged 24 times in the three games with the replacement refs: 10 times for 77 yards against San Francisco, 4 for 54 against Chicago and 10 for 127 in the debacle at Seattle.

And they've been flagged 16 times with the regular officials: 7 for 43 yards against the Saints and 9 for 89 against the Colts. And those are just the penalties that held; some were declined
Quote:
"It's definitely on us as players," one Packer said Monday. "But I think the refs are out to get us this year."

It's a potential conspiracy, I tell you! But after that last statement, it may come to be the truth.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #64
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

At the outset of this season, the Packers game in week 6 was one of them I had tagged for a "tough out". After 5 weeks, understanding you still have to play each game each week full out, this packer team doesn't seem quite so "tough".

Green Bay is coached by a no-nonsense guy in Mike Mularkey. I can't believe that they haven't gone into any game this season NOT prepared to battle and play their best football against the best or even worst of opponents. BUT, at 2-3, they simply are NOT a great team. I've watched 3 of their games and it's obvious that they are a shell of what they were last year. No D to speak of. They can't run effectively at will. Rogers is getting bounced around. I see NO reason that trend can't and won't continue in week 6.

If the Texans play within themselves, in the same general fashion they have through the first 5 weeks, Green Bay will have to play out of their minds to have a chance of upsetting the Texans in Houston.

One other thing... I live in NC, so get no luxury in witnessing first hand.. BUT, I'd LOVE to see how electric Reliant is with the 5-0 Texans Hosting the 2-3 Packers. I think the 12th man will be bigger than ever this week.
Old 10-10-2012   #65
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The Packers run options are dwindling with Rodgers running out accordingly. Cedric Benson left with a foot injury that he said "wasn't serious".................until today, when it has been announced that he will not play against the Texans. Their Oline has not been able to keep Rodger upright with even some semblance of a running game. Now our D is bound to pin back their ears big time.

Cedric Benson won’t play against Texans
Hearing that Benson has a lisfranc injury....bad news for him.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #66
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail.Blazr View Post
At the outset of this season, the Packers game in week 6 was one of them I had tagged for a "tough out". After 5 weeks, understanding you still have to play each game each week full out, this packer team doesn't seem quite so "tough".

Green Bay is coached by a no-nonsense guy in Mike Mularkey. I can't believe that they haven't gone into any game this season NOT prepared to battle and play their best football against the best or even worst of opponents. BUT, at 2-3, they simply are NOT a great team. I've watched 3 of their games and it's obvious that they are a shell of what they were last year. No D to speak of. They can't run effectively at will. Rogers is getting bounced around. I see NO reason that trend can't and won't continue in week 6.

If the Texans play within themselves, in the same general fashion they have through the first 5 weeks, Green Bay will have to play out of their minds to have a chance of upsetting the Texans in Houston.

One other thing... I live in NC, so get no luxury in witnessing first hand.. BUT, I'd LOVE to see how electric Reliant is with the 5-0 Texans Hosting the 2-3 Packers. I think the 12th man will be bigger than ever this week.
I'm still a little hesitant to believe they might be a shell of what they were last year. I guess that may change if they continue down this path.

I've seen a good portion of every gave they've played this year and am noticing part of the problem is they're not getting the amount of turnovers necessary to offset the suckage on their defense.

I agree running the ball could end up being difficult for them in this game. I'm just curious what Houston's offense will be capable of. They could end up having their best game.

We've always said that though against teams they've played this season that were ranked near the bottom statistically in some defensive categories(Titans, Jets) but I feel like they'll really break out in this one.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #67
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

It's interesting to note that before the season began, Vegas had the Texans favored 1.5 points over the Packers. Last week, Vegas shot the Texans up to 5 point favorites. After the Texans' performance against the Jets, Vegas has seen fit to re-assess the odds in favor of the Texans to only 3..........essentially reflecting a "home field advantage" only.
Old 10-10-2012   #68
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54251 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mike McCarthy, not Mike Mularkey.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #69
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
Hearing that Benson has a lisfranc injury....bad news for him.
You know, that's funny. That was reported yesterday. But today, he was placed on IR with designation for return after 8 weeks. They wouldn't want to waste that designation, so I would have to assume that MRI showed a very much lesser Class I foot sprain. Even a typical nondisplaced Class I moderate severity Lisfranc would not allow for an RB to return in 8 weeks for game-like play. It would require a 6-week period where the player is just either non-weightbearing or minimally weightbearing through the heel (cast). If there is a Class I Lisfranc, he will be image reassessed at 2 weeks to see if his stretch/bone separation is stable with no progression. If there is no progression and the player is nontender, they may consider removing the boot and fitting orthotics early and begin rehab for return. If there is progression, they are replaced in the boot for the remainder of the 6 weeks, then placed in orthotics with rehab being started towards return to game play somewhere in the neighborhood of 11 to 18 weeks. Now, if at any point there is actual displacement, surgery similar to Schaub's course will be anticipated.
Old 10-10-2012   #70
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Exactly.

If Packers had won big, we would have heard all about how good they were and how hard of a game it was going to be.

If the Packers had won at the last second, we would have heard all about how they were finally putting it together just in time to face us.

They lose, and its all about how they have a must win game coming up and will be playing lights out.

We might lose, but it won't be because they were playing extra hard. They are a good team, and "Any Given Sunday" always applies. I think the carryover from one game to the other is exaggerated when you have a week off to prepare and your next game is on national tv
Good teams don't loose three in a row. That's the way I look at it. Some how or another, they find a way to keep their focus for 60 minutes & do what ever it takes to win the game. I think it's their pride that won't "allow" them to lose 3 in a row.

Greenbay hasn't lost 3 in a row, but the same thing applies. Really good teams, like who we thought Greenbay was at the beginning of the season, don't lose 2 in a row.

In the past, I hated playing the good teams after they lost, because I felt the only way for us to beat a good team, was to catch them slipping. Now, I couldn't care less. Let them bring their best game. I want to see if the Texans will get caught slipping. I doubt it, but we'll see.
Old 10-10-2012   #71
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

I won't predict a sweep of the Colts, but we'll take at least one game from them. We're going to beat the Packers. We're going to beat the Ravens too.
Old 10-10-2012   #72
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
Luck is gonna be good in the future. But it's gonna take him 2-3 years to show his top end.
I don't think he's gonna be Peyton, but my guess is he's gonna be one of the best QBs in the AFC.
I don't think Watt is going to let that happen. The Bulls on Parade are going to David Carr him in 2-3 years.
Old 10-10-2012   #73
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I don't think Watt is going to let that happen. The Bulls on Parade are going to David Carr him in 2-3 years.
First rule about TexansTalk is that you don't actually mention HWSNBN by his real name!!!
Old 10-10-2012   #74
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

If the packers play as much zone coverage as they did last week our passing game should be dominant. I look for od and/or casey to have good games.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #75
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You know, that's funny. That was reported yesterday. But today, he was placed on IR with designation for return after 8 weeks. They wouldn't want to waste that designation, so I would have to assume that MRI showed a very much lesser Class I foot sprain. Even a typical nondisplaced Class I moderate severity Lisfranc would not allow for an RB to return in 8 weeks for game-like play. It would require a 6-week period where the player is just either non-weightbearing or minimally weightbearing through the heel (cast). If there is a Class I Lisfranc, he will be image reassessed at 2 weeks to see if his stretch/bone separation is stable with no progression. If there is no progression and the player is nontender, they may consider removing the boot and fitting orthotics early and begin rehab for return. If there is progression, they are replaced in the boot for the remainder of the 6 weeks, then placed in orthotics with rehab being started towards return to game play somewhere in the neighborhood of 11 to 18 weeks. Now, if at any point there is actual displacement, surgery similar to Schaub's course will be anticipated.
There must not be anything broken, that's for sure. I can't imagine someone coming back from a LisFranc after just 8 weeks. I'll believe it when I see it.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #76
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79683 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's interesting to note that before the season began, Vegas had the Texans favored 1.5 points over the Packers. Last week, Vegas shot the Texans up to 5 point favorites. After the Texans' performance against the Jets, Vegas has seen fit to re-assess the odds in favor of the Texans to only 3..........essentially reflecting a "home field advantage" only.
The odd has been running between 3-1/2 to 4 this week.
It was between 4-1/2 to 5 before the Monday night game.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #77
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

We are doomed.........ESPN features this game as the upset of the week!
Quote:
Upset Watch: Green Bay (+3.5) at Houston

Bill Parcells often said "you are what you are," meaning that a team was truly only as good as its record. But actually, that's not really true. Analyzing a team's performance over hundreds of plays gives you a better idea of a team's quality than a win-loss record. You can't go back and change the past and wipe losses off your slate, but a binary win-loss record really isn't a good way to judge how well a team will play going forward.

The Green Bay Packers are a great example of this. The Packers have been one of the best teams in the league this year despite losing three games -- well, two games, plus one with an asterisk. Football Outsiders' DVOA ratings, which compare success on every single play to a league average based on situation and opponent, have the Packers sixth in the NFL right now. In fact, the Packers are the second-best 2-3 team in the history of DVOA stats, which currently go back to 1991. Except for the two teams playing this season, the teams in the top 10 all finished with winning records and/or made the playoffs. And if you need another reason to like the Packers over the Texans this weekend, we've nailed our last three upset picks. Just sayin'.
Guess they won't be saying that next week. Just sayin'.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read